Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2018 1:33:32 AM EDT
Maybe there is a better forum or website to ask this but a few hours of googling hasn't yielded many results.

Anyway, saw a picture of some sf guys in Vietnam wearing fatigues they dyed black, also some mike force guys using SKS rigs, and of course ARVN rucks and such, that's a little different though.

Did US special forces often use NVA and NLF gear? Anyone have some good pictures or examples? Maybe some links that go into more detail?  I'd really love to research this more.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:32:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes NVA uniforms [made by CISO in Okinawa] were worn by SOG recon team members across the fence.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#3]
And ate the same foods, same bathing habits (or lack) so they would even smell the same.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 10:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That led me down the rabbit hole I was looking for. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Sgt Patrick Tadina LRRP

Not sure what he is doing in this photo. I did read a story about him with all VC gear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sgt Patrick Tadina LRRP

Not sure what he is doing in this photo. I did read a story about him with all VC gear.
View Quote
Tadina was CSM of either 2/64 or 3/64 Armor in Schweinfurt, Germany in the mid 80's. I was in B,1-30 Inf, and one day he inspected my company, maybe the entire BN, can't remember. But he wasn't about screaming and throwing people's gear around, I would say 1 of 2 sergeant majors I've ever met who wasn't an asshole. He said "aim low at the enemy as the bullets track low to the ground" or, "I would dress as an NVA soldier,  and march an American down the trail in front of me,like he was my prisoner, towards the enemy ". Things like that. We were all, what's he doing in a tank battalion? We want him here!  I recall him, soft-spoken, and respectful of the soldiers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:05:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
And ate the same foods, same bathing habits (or lack) so they would even smell the same.
View Quote
I worked with a Vietnam vet who made the same comments about eating the same foods. He couldn’t pass as a local being a 6’3” East Tennessee Ginger.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I read in a book about Vietnam, that they used the same weapons because they had no resupply. They could just acquire ammo from dead VC.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I seem to remember reading that NVA rucksacks were popular ALICE alternative but, am having trouble remembering what book.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:55:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I seem to remember reading that NVA rucksacks were popular ALICE alternative but, am having trouble remembering what book.
View Quote
I don't know about that, but a lot of Marine Recon guys liked the ARVN rucksack.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Marine Corps took dogs to sniff out the enemy.  The NVA started using US made bath soap to confuse the dogs.

OP: The idea of the gear is that at 5-600 meters a quick look at a group of guys wouldn’t give away that it was Americans.  It obviously wouldn’t hide the fact that it was a six foot American if you saw him up close.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Read “We Few” by Nick Brokhausen.

Great book on his time with CCN RT Habu. He talks about this a lot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2019 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I read in a book about Vietnam, that they used the same weapons because they had no resupply. They could just acquire ammo from dead VC.
View Quote
A friend of mine in grad school had worked on Project Omega. Said very little except about weapons. He carried among other things a suppressed Sten gun, a suppressed M3 and a suppressed CAR 15
Link Posted: 5/30/2019 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#14]
A med school professor of mine was in the medical corps there and spoke of some US troops preferring to carry AKs.

ETA: I remember a story about a LRRP leader, maybe Tadina, being detained by MPs in an airport because he was wearing a lot of medal ribbons, until it was verified that he had indeed been awarded them. He seemed too young to have earned that many medals.
Link Posted: 8/18/2019 10:37:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Daryl Young said that he and the guys of Juliet Platoon, SEAL Team One in 1970, would wear NLF/VC black pajamas, and even roll up on insertion points in requisitioned sampans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I worked with a Vietnam vet who made the same comments about eating the same foods. He couldn’t pass as a local being a 6’3” East Tennessee Ginger.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I joined the Army in 1982, so there were plenty of Vietnam veterans still in uniform. I was told that the LRRP type units tried to group troops by general height because at a distance you can't always tell if someone is 5'6" or 6'4" if they're surrounded by the same sized people.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 11:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]
It's been a while but i think i remember Marcinko saying they (seals) wore Ho Chi Minh sandals in the delta to not leave boot prints.
Link Posted: 11/11/2019 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Look up Tiger Force. Those guys were out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top