Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2021 4:55:01 AM EDT
Found an offlease Dell 9020 I-5 3.2G w/8gig RAM for $220 and put a spare 256G SSD drive in it. They put a MSI GT 710 w/2G VRAM in it.
Intended purposes is to run World of Tanks and play around with Oracle's VirtualBox VM's( got original CD's for OS/2 Warp 6, Windows 95, and Windows NT workstation) to play with. Later, I'm may put an I7-4790S in it. But now, I'm mostly looking at the video.

Is there a video card that would/could fit that is worth the upgrade cost?

TIA.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 6:23:18 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a number of (non-elite) cards with respectable chipsets available in half-height form factors. Look for those.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Look me up in WOT or WOW. Gamer name is
Zombeaver
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By @bradleyswine:
Look me up in WOT or WOW. Gamer name is
Zombeaver
View Quote
IM'd you in the game.

had to change my name 'WarGanz_87" since no one could pronouce 'wganz'.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Assuming it takes half-height cards: Newegg half-height card search

Now is literally one of the worst times to find/buy a graphics card in the history of the PC market, though.

Massive demand, limited supply and now crypto are driving the market crazy. On the plus side half-height cards ususally use slow graphics so they're in less demand.

1030 looks like the only available upgrade, if you could get into a 1650 in the form factor it would be a huge jump, but I'm not seeing them -- not sure if that's because they're not available in that size or just not available due to being sold out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]
This is starting to look like the typical BS that I get myself into now days.
How about this for a KISS solution?
Get a Displayport cable to plug into the existing ports on the back to use the embedded Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 for the larger monitor. The smaller monitor only has HDMI and it would run off of the GT 710.
That'll give me two displays then I'll just shut up & enjoy it.
I'm taking it to 16GB of RAM, SFF limit anyways, and the HD 4600's SDRAM memory usage won't hurt performance that much since Twitch & World of Tanks in minimal video mode will be the most demanding applications it'll run.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is starting to look like the typical BS that I get myself into now days.
How about this for a KISS solution?
Get a Displayport cable to plug into the existing ports on the back to use the embedded Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600 for the larger monitor. The smaller monitor only has HDMI and it would run off of the GT 710.
That'll give me two displays then I'll just shut up & enjoy it.
I'm taking it to 16GB of RAM, SFF limit anyways, and the HD 4600's SDRAM memory usage won't hurt performance that much since Twitch & World of Tanks in minimal video mode will be the most demanding applications it'll run.
View Quote

Got the Displayport cable, plugged it in, turned it on, and had dual displays.
Only had to reset the audio to the smaller display which is also the 22" flat screen TV.
Took a 1x6 finished board from Lowes. Cut to the length of the desk. Divvied up the cut off piece into 6" long standoffs between the board and wall. Stained the board. Mounted the board on the wall. Got the el cheapo $8 wall mount to mount the monitors on the board. Gives a lot more desk space with the stands gone.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
For SFF, single slot cards, this is currently the best: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VYR2L43/?coliid=IZFHZO0GCL4FG&colid=2W6O23HFHGTWN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Be aware of power consumption on some computers. This card will work on some computers, at full power draw, but not on some others with weak power supplies

FWIW I use an Nvidia 1030 Ti single slot, low profile Gfx card in my Dell Optiplex 760 win 7 computer, and it works fine.  RAM maxxed-out, of course.  OEM 240 Watt power supply, and apparently not upgradeable.

Might try this card, and see if it works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top