Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 19
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 4:55:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By NAEP3:
My wife asking why they didn't have a bugout plan with a cache at the sublocation. I would have bugged out and come back in the DAYLIGHT and do some recon. It might have taken some time before the horde left due to inactivity. They didn't "lose" the farm, persay.

It sucks that the only survivors of Zombie Apocalypses are always the ill prepared, non critical thinkers, and Ving Rhames twice.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My wife asking why they didn't have a bugout plan with a cache at the sublocation. I would have bugged out and come back in the DAYLIGHT and do some recon. It might have taken some time before the horde left due to inactivity. They didn't "lose" the farm, persay.

I would agree on that. Maybe return in a day or 2 to pick up some vitals. Being a cop, you'd think he would do some kind of secondary place.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 7:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WPNS462:

I would agree on that. Maybe return in a day or 2 to pick up some vitals. Being a cop, you'd think he would do some kind of secondary place.

Don't forget though, that Rick is an idiot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Forest:

. They didn't "lose" the farm, persay.

The land is still there, the house MAY still be there.

But the barn is gone (along with any hay it might have had for livestock), and most likely the chickens and cattle (zed's dont seem to be picky eaters).  Crops were probably trampled as well.
Considering that they had it filled with walkers, I doubt they kept anything they needed in the barn.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 7:40:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#6]
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By T-TAC:
Finally! after 2 seasons we get some Zombie action instead of watching the charecters stare out over a field for 10 mins. The show is based on a comic book, so there should be no slow areas to bore us. Leave the sex, long boring conversations, etc. out. Give the viewer what we are waiting for "Action".

The comic had a fair amount of sex and interpersonal conflicts.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 1:26:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the feel of the Land of the Dead at the start of this episode. When Big Daddy and company followed Dead Reckoning back to Fiddlers Green.

The Walkers followed the helo and wound up at the farm. I got a chuckle out of it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 2:13:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Aptrgangr:

I doubt they kept anything they needed in the barn.

The loft had hay IIRC, and they wouldn't they have needed it to store more hay for the winter?

There's really no telling, because they never go into detail about their situation.  I don't think you could keep enough hay in a barn to see 50 head of cattle plus some horses through the winter.  

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#12]

I doubt they kept anything they needed in the barn.

The loft had hay IIRC, and they wouldn't they have needed it to store more hay for the winter?

There's really no telling, because they never go into detail about their situation.  I don't think you could keep enough hay in a barn to see 50 head of cattle plus some horses through the winter.  

The cattle didn't eat hay, or at least they never showed it. They graze the fields they had on the farm, and its Georgia, I don't think they need that big of a supply of hay for the winter. And if the cattle do die, due to lack of hay, what can they really do about it? Nothing, except butcher them and put them on ice until ready to eat.

And I don't recall seeing bundles of hay in the barn....just loose hay whereever they decided to put it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Hi guys:

My review is finally up here:

Link.

Sorry for the delay for those who have been avid readers.  I have been on the road two days for work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:33:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#14]
Originally Posted By Dace:
I cant wait for the next season.  This was an awesome eposide.  Man I can't stand Carol and her liberal view points.

Fine for RIck to finally take charge, but Carol was right about Rick having no sense of honor.

Regardless of Shane's intentions, they both had guns, they both and ammo. Neither was wounded. A man with honor faces down an adversary who was once a trusted friend down on equal terms, he does not stab him in the heart with trickery like an asssassin.

And Rick is still so indecisive, just like at the highway Hershel had already swayed him from his plan on waiting, Rick was about to leave with Carl when the others arrived. The man can't hold to a decision to save his life. He's worse than John Kerry for flip-flopping.

I think Hershel 2.0 is clearly the natural leader in the group.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By JediChric:
Originally Posted By Medicfrost:
"Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara told THR last week that the character would be one the series makes its own, calling her "our vision" of what's in the comic."

Now I am scared.  I NEVER trust it when someone in Hollywood says, "we want to create our 'own' vision of what we think that character should be."  Maybe it will turn out okay, but I'm not betting on it.

I was more worried about the line after that:

"We know that she's a loner, we know she kicks ass. But we have some other traits about that her that are not in the comic book that we'll deviate.

I didn't like that part either.  Scary!

Lesbian/Bi character?  This show is missing one...  (every show has to have one )

If the GLBT transition is made, the show will be over for me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 10:35:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#16]
"Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara told THR last week that the character would be one the series makes its own, calling her "our vision" of what's in the comic."

Now I am scared.  I NEVER trust it when someone in Hollywood says, "we want to create our 'own' vision of what we think that character should be."  Maybe it will turn out okay, but I'm not betting on it.

"We know that she's a loner, we know she kicks ass. But we have some other traits about that her that are not in the comic book that we'll deviate.

Lesbian/Bi character?  This show is missing one...  (every show has to have one )

I thought that was Carol...  

While I don't care for the style, there are plenty of women out there who have close cropped hair who are most definitely not gay, I have known a few.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By _DR:

I thought that was Carol...  

While I don't care for the style, there are plenty of women out there who have close cropped hair who are most definitely not gay, I have known a few.

I wasn't referring to her hair style.  I was just trying to be funny.  In fact, what lead you to believe I was referring to her hair style?  Or that I was making that generalization?
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a love hate with this show,   The soap opera drama, the hair gel, the make up, the tight clean tucked in clothes (including white shirts) on the women and the stupid level of not being prepared.  Also where the hell is the military?  Brain dead zombies somehow destroyed the entire military?  Ships, jets, helicopters, tanks etc?  
With all the time and unlimited supplies why wasn't this place a fortress yet?  Oh ya too much stupid drama, hair styling, constant shaving, clothes washing, ironing, showering, blow drying and trying on outfits.   They could have surrounded the place with chain link fence, even cars and a deep moat.  They could have found better vehicles, armored car, military vehicles, gas hauling trucks etc.  Raided sporting goods stores for ammo and guns.  Raided police stations for guns, ammo, armor, armored assault vehicles.  Raided military bases.  I wish this would have been done by a realistic gritty Creator.  Something like HBO's deadwood.  

Also why the hell is that guy on that noise making bike,  You can't run over zeds with it and it makes a crazy amount of noise that draws them.

Other observations:

If the world returns to normal we have a amazing Olympic pistol team able to make perfect continued head shots from a fast moving vehicle.

The Hershel shotgun moment in the last episode was ridiculous.  How many round did he fire with a 4 shot tube?  How many zombies did he kill?  Where were all of those dead zeds?  They kept showing the ground in front of him and there was a dead zed or two not the 20 or 30 that he killed.    

Who is stupid enough to go into a barn, pour gas on the hay covered floor, climb higher into the barn then light it on fire.  That's all kinds of stupid.

I second the A Team idea.  I want to see a A Team zombie movie.  All kind of epic zombie killing devices would be created.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TheTic00:
I have a love hate with this show,   The soap opera drama, the hair gel, the make up, the tight clean tucked in clothes (including white shirts) on the women and the stupid level of not being prepared.  Also where the hell is the military?  Brain dead zombies somehow destroyed the entire military?  Ships, jets, helicopters, tanks etc?  
With all the time and unlimited supplies why wasn't this place a fortress yet?  Oh ya too much stupid drama, hair styling, constant shaving, clothes washing, ironing, showering, blow drying and trying on outfits.   They could have surrounded the place with chain link fence, even cars and a deep moat.  They could have found better vehicles, armored car, military vehicles, gas hauling trucks etc.  Raided sporting goods stores for ammo and guns.  Raided police stations for guns, ammo, armor, armored assault vehicles.  Raided military bases.  I wish this would have been done by a realistic gritty Creator.  Something like HBO's deadwood.  

Also why the hell is that guy on that noise making bike,  You can't run over zeds with it and it makes a crazy amount of noise that draws them.

Other observations:

If the world returns to normal we have a amazing Olympic pistol team able to make perfect continued head shots from a fast moving vehicle.

The Hershel shotgun moment in the last episode was ridiculous.  How many round did he fire with a 4 shot tube?  How many zombies did he kill?  Where were all of those dead zeds?  They kept showing the ground in front of him and there was a dead zed or two not the 20 or 30 that he killed.    

Who is stupid enough to go into a barn, pour gas on the hay covered floor, climb higher into the barn then light it on fire.  That's all kinds of stupid.

I second the A Team idea.  I want to see a A Team zombie movie.  All kind of epic zombie killing devices would be created.

In this world, I'm sure the vast majority of military is dead. Military, with the exception of some Spec-ops units, are trained to shoot for center mass. Once military sees their center mass hit won't bring them down, there would be some kind of panic. Remember, it's been stated that in this world, there has never been a Zombie movie, no ones has ever heard of them, no one has any ideas about them. This is also based off the comics. Never read any of them?

This episode had the most action, but yeah, all kinds of screw-ups.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:43:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheTic00] [#20]
how well does a zed hold up to a 50 cal machine gun?  Military would pick up the head idea faily quickly.  The military being gone idea makes zero sense.
Maybe they should have explained the military being gone with the shoots given to troops infected them all once the uprising started.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:54:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WPNS462] [#21]
Originally Posted By TheTic00:
how well does a zed hold up to a 50 cal machine gun?  Military would pick up the head idea faily quickly.  The military being gone idea makes zero sense.
Maybe they should have explained the military being gone with the shoots given to troops infected them all once the uprising started.

I'm sure in this world theyheld out in some places as long as they could. When you have several thousand undead with only a few hundred rounds, who wins?  One episode in season 2 showed helos and bomb strikes in Atlanta. They prob wiped it out and moved on. Military won't care about some farm in the middle of no-where's-ville, Georgia.

In WWZ, the military was pretty scattered until they got their shit together for New Hope and the walk across America. The debacle at Yonkers was the militarys way of saying they have superiority over the undead, but it back-fired. In DbDA, some bases were wiped out from the masses, some from the nuke strikes.

I remember reading about a lost episode of TWD, where they were going to follow a military platoon or squad. They were going to show it from their perspective. The last remaining guy was the one in the tank in the first episode. Let me see if I can find it again.

ETA* A lot of the Zombie movies have rag tag units of LEO/MIL people. I agree though. I'd like to see a Zombie movie from a military perspective without them looking like a bunch of inept retards at every corner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:06:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WPNS462] [#22]
There was supposed to be a prequel with Sam Witwer as part of a Ranger unit.

ETA* I would post this pic the right way, but .MIL computers don't let me do everything on ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:19:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: srob7001] [#23]
I cant wait for the next season.  This was an awesome eposide.  Man I can't stand Carol and her liberal view points.

Fine for RIck to finally take charge, but Carol was right about Rick having no sense of honor.

Regardless of Shane's intentions, they both had guns, they both and ammo. Neither was wounded. A man with honor faces down an adversary who was once a trusted friend down on equal terms, he does not stab him in the heart with trickery like an asssassin.

And Rick is still so indecisive, just like at the highway Hershel had already swayed him from his plan on waiting, Rick was about to leave with Carl when the others arrived. The man can't hold to a decision to save his life. He's worse than John Kerry for flip-flopping.

I don't know....Shane led Rick out there to do harm to him, Shane was wounded(he did it to him self), so Shane already put a bad taste in Ricks mouth (and Lori's.....zing!!!)

To say Rick has no honor is just wrong, he has, on numerous occasions, put his life at risk for complete strangers, and even saved Shane when he was left on the bus. If he had no honor he would hvae left him to die along time ago. He gave Shane many chances to get his shit together, and it seemed he almost did.....until Lori went and had that talk with him. Thats when Shane snaps again and take the prisoner to the woods to make it look like he was attacked.

He was a danger to the group. He turned into a monster due to the world he was living in. Now it looks as though Rick is leading down that same path.

You say he can't make a decision to save his life.....well he's still alive isn't he? So he must be doing something right, because if something like this ever really did happen, staying alive is all that would matter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Rick has to much honor, that is his problem.  He gave Shane change after chance to turn things around.  Even at the end, he gave him another chance, and he didn't take it.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Rick has to much honor, that is his problem.  He gave Shane change after chance to turn things around.  Even at the end, he gave him another chance, and he didn't take it.

Shane lowered his gun, remember?  The show would be a lot better if they had switched up the Shane and Rick roles.  Everyone would think it was right and proper for Rick to take over if Shane had been leading and screwed up.

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:19:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: silentbob343] [#26]

Don't read the comic then.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 2:41:35 AM EDT
[#28]
there's a lot about the show that grinds my gears. I never really understood why they talked about the farm so highly or being afraid to "loose it" from zombies or other people. I mean what did it have that any other farm in Georgia didn't? and when hershal wanted to kick them out id just go to the next house a few miles down the road. what did they do day in and day out? complain about how carl is growing up in such a terrible world. cuz they honestly did NOTHING to make there farm any better or more secure then any other farm around. ( o wait nvm shane nailed down some wood on the windmill for a lookout no one used)

also why did that kid who had like 2 or 3 lines this whole season, who was driving the rv to help rick and carl get down from the barn. just stop driving after they hoped on the top? sad to say but u deserve to die.

I hope the writing and budget gets better for season 3. but either way ill be tuning in. still best zombie show on tv
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 3:47:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gastonite] [#29]
Originally Posted By zutmeloda2003:
there's a lot about the show that grinds my gears. I never really understood why they talked about the farm so highly or being afraid to "loose it" from zombies or other people. I mean what did it have that any other farm in Georgia didn't? and when hershal wanted to kick them out id just go to the next house a few miles down the road. what did they do day in and day out? complain about how carl is growing up in such a terrible world. cuz they honestly did NOTHING to make there farm any better or more secure then any other farm around. ( o wait nvm shane nailed down some wood on the windmill for a lookout no one used)

also why did that kid who had like 2 or 3 lines this whole season, who was driving the rv to help rick and carl get down from the barn. just stop driving after they hoped on the top? sad to say but u deserve to die.

I hope the writing and budget gets better for season 3. but either way ill be tuning in. still best zombie show on tv

All good points. All I can offer is that TV is always going to have its flaws, especially if they don't consult with the survival-minded folks like us here at Arfcom.

ETA: I still woulda procured a back hoe and dug a big ditch around the farm. That woulda solved a lotta problems.
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 11:54:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Add to the list they had no evac plan.You would think during a zombie(hell,any) apocalypse the topic might have come up in conversation.Or the idea of fortifying the farm.Maybe even having some extra supplies around,just in case.
I guess the idea is to show what "normal,everyday people" would do in that situation.This tells me that A:Hollywood writers are idiots and B: they think the rest of us are just as stupid.I'm still going to watch the show and I do genuinely enjoy it,but they need to do better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I watched that scene when Jimmy gets eaten in the RV 3 or 4 times.   From the looks of it he was heading to the door to lock it and a zombie beat him to it.  We know they can turn door knobs from the first episode with Morgan's wife doing it.   I think he jumped into the RV and in his haste forgot to secure the door.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Add to the list they had no evac plan.

Biggest problem with their planning in my opinion.  As i stated in my blog:

They had no designated rally point; everyone just happened to show up on the highway. The cars should have stayed topped off with gas.  Given that they had collected a ton from the abandoned cars on the highway per previous episodes, that was a huge oversight.

Have a rally point that everyone knows in case your family or group gets separated. If you can cache some supplies there in advance, it wouldn't be a bad idea.  How easy would it have been to throw some water, beans, rice, extra ammo, blankets and cooking utensils in one of the abandoned cars on the highway, covered the stuff with a tarp, and locked it up?  You could have gotten an SUV started, gassed it up, and hidden it to the side.  Cache the keys in a hiding place just inside the woods and you have a vehicle and supplies.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kdalton:
From the looks of it he was heading to the door to lock it and a zombie beat him to it.  We know they can turn door knobs from the first episode with Morgan's wife doing it.  

I think there are 2 types of zombies in TWD.  The most common is the stereotypical zombie, with no reasoning skills at all.  The second type is very rare, but maintains minimal ability to understand how to manipulate  objects, like Morgan's wife with the doorknob & the one trying to break into the Atlanta department store with a rock.  Fortunately, we haven't seen any 'thinking' zombies like Bub in the original Day of the Dead, or Big Daddy in Land of the Dead.  

Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By silentbob343:

Thanks for the heads up, I won't now.
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By silentbob343:

Thanks for the heads up, I won't now.

"There is no greater love in this life than that which is shared between two vaginas while I watch." -Ghandi
Page / 19
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top