BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 232
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:59:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I bought a red progressive a couple months ago.

Good time to get into reloading. Dumb.
View Quote

yeah I got in during sandy hook panic.

and then when trump got elected ammo was cheaper for me to buy. So I did.

the upside is I'm set for a few years now, so this current panic won't effect me a bit. which I suppose was the plan all along.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you don't already have a stash of components, it's irrelevant.

Primers are gone. If you want to buy some, they'll cost you what entire factory loaded cartridges cost you this time last year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I will bring my M1A so that you can have a sneak preview of what you'll be buying when you're ready to put away a child's toy and start shooting a man's rifle.  

Think of an AR in .308 as getting a Learner's Permit. M1A is a car. AR in .223 is a Matchbox car.

You roll your own ammo, right? Did you get the dies and shell holders and whatnot for .308 yet?

yeah I'll be loading my own 308. No I don't have anything yet and I'm really in no hurry. Hopefully by the time I'm in need the market will have stabilized a bit.

Quoted:

Do you even know me? That goes against everything I stand for.

Click To View Spoiler

niiiiice. Love the old mottled furniture.

Hey, while we're on the subject, what reloading setup do you have? I'm looking to get into rolling my own.

Primers are gone. If you want to buy some, they'll cost you what entire factory loaded cartridges cost you this time last year.

I was looking at getting into reloading sometime next year just because it looks to be cheaper in the long run. I've gone to Cabela's and they have the equipment, but none of the supplies like brass, powder, primers, or even certain bullets. Right now I'm not doing any shooting as it is, simply because I can't restock my meager stock. And knowing that I can't reload because components aren't around means I still can't. In six months the market will reach some kind of a plateau one way or the other and I can start buying then.

I hope.

In the meantime, I do have a few rounds that have been set aside for deer season and putting rabbits and limbrats in the pot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

the upside is I'm set for a few years now, so this current panic won't effect me a bit. which I suppose was the plan all along.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a red progressive a couple months ago.

Good time to get into reloading. Dumb.

I'm good on .22LR and any number of 12ga, but I don't want to dip into my .223 or .308 stock if I don't have to right now.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I was looking at getting into reloading sometime next year just because it looks to be cheaper in the long run. I've gone to Cabela's and they have the equipment, but none of the supplies like brass, powder, primers, or even certain bullets. Right now I'm not doing any shooting as it is, simply because I can't restock my meager stock. And knowing that I can't reload because components aren't around means I still can't. In six months the market will reach some kind of a plateau one way or the other and I can start buying then.

I hope.

In the meantime, I do have a few rounds that have been set aside for deer season and putting rabbits and limbrats in the pot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And I will bring my M1A so that you can have a sneak preview of what you'll be buying when you're ready to put away a child's toy and start shooting a man's rifle.  

Think of an AR in .308 as getting a Learner's Permit. M1A is a car. AR in .223 is a Matchbox car.

You roll your own ammo, right? Did you get the dies and shell holders and whatnot for .308 yet?

yeah I'll be loading my own 308. No I don't have anything yet and I'm really in no hurry. Hopefully by the time I'm in need the market will have stabilized a bit.

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

Hey, while we're on the subject, what reloading setup do you have? I'm looking to get into rolling my own.

I hope.

The economics of reloading are complicated.

I'm a single stage/turret press guy. I only reload for bolt actions, lever actions, and revolvers. This is mostly due to what those cartridges cost pre-panic combined with my shooting habits. I could go to my bench, turn on some music, crack open a beer, and make ~50 rounds in an hour or so. The ammo I loaded would have cost almost $1 per round pre-panic, and 50 rounds of it would be enough for 1-2 range trips with whatever gun I had in mind. With single stages and turrets, it's also pretty easy to change calibers and run another small batch.

Semiautos are much harder to feed with reloading because you might be shooting 100-200+ rounds in one sitting.

Progressive presses are definitely an economy of scale game. If you want to make 1,000+ rounds of the same thing in one sitting, then shoot that ammo, then rinse and repeat, a progressive press will pay for itself. If you're not that guy, the math doesn't work.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm a single stage/turret press guy. I only reload for bolt actions, lever actions, and revolvers. This is mostly due to what those cartridges cost pre-panic combined with my shooting habits. I could go to my bench, turn on some music, crack open a beer, and make ~50 rounds in an hour or so. The ammo I loaded would have cost almost $1 per round pre-panic, and 50 rounds of it would be enough for 1-2 range trips with whatever gun I had in mind. With single stages and turrets, it's also pretty easy to change calibers and run another small batch.

Semiautos are much harder to feed with reloading because you might be shooting 100-200+ rounds in one sitting.

Progressive presses are definitely an economy of scale game. If you want to make 1,000+ rounds of the same thing in one sitting, then shoot that ammo, then rinse and repeat, a progressive press will pay for itself. If you're not that guy, the math doesn't work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

I hope.

I've looked at what they have at Cabela's and online but I'm still fuzzy on the terminology.Let me make sure I have this right.

Single-stage: reload one round at a time. Repeat all the steps each time, almost like starting from scratch with each round.
Progressive: Reload multiple rounds at a time. Set up for multiple steps ahead of time, almost like assembly line.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I've looked at what they have at Cabela's and online but I'm still fuzzy on the terminology.Let me make sure I have this right.

Single-stage: reload one round at a time. Repeat all the steps each time, almost like starting from scratch with each round.
Progressive: Reload multiple rounds at a time. Set up for multiple steps ahead of time, almost like assembly line.
View Quote

Correct. A turret press is basically in between. You only do one bullet at a time, but you can do all the steps in immediate succession.

I have a single stage and a progressive. I load pretty much all my ammo at this point. Most of the time, loading for common calibers isn't worth it. I do it because I cast my own Pistol bullets which drops the cost significantly. Cost savings not withstanding, it also allows me to have ammo during shortage times like now. Of course, I'm not shooting right now anyway, so that doesn't really matter.

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm good on .22LR and any number of 12ga, but I don't want to dip into my .223 or .308 stock if I don't have to right now.
View Quote

I'm thinking about unloading a few cans here and there. I don't get to shoot much anymore, so why not cash in? Then I get sad.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Theo Epstein has resigned from the Chicago Cubs organization.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:18:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought this is where we discussed the M14 and it’s progeny are gifts directly from the hand of God.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here's to 100 years of the Cubs sucking again.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Ok, boomer
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 1:21:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I thought this is where we discussed the M14 and it’s progeny are gifts directly from the hand of God.
View Quote

It is. We discuss many things, such as the M1A, why the M1A is awesome, why people who disdain the M1A are subhuman, and occasionally baseball.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

In an alternate universe he's coming over to the Pirates and the new owner will be giving him an unlimited warchest to work with.

In this universe we have no money to spend and no one in the Front Office who knows what to do.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quiet you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#16]
good ole theo, he'll probably win you a championship, but he'll fuck your franchise for the next decade... hell, i'd take it for the O's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
good ole theo, he'll probably win you a championship, but he'll fuck your franchise for the next decade... hell, i'd take it for the O's.
View Quote

Hey, it paid off for the Red Sox.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

i hope they suck for the next three decades.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look, I'm already stuck with the Pirates, who will suck until the Second Coming. Can't I have the Red Sox not suck once in a while?

Must I have nothing?
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Mets are literally going to offer him all of Queens.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

actually, i think Dombrowski is worse, but both are pretty similar.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Look, I'm already stuck with the Pirates, who will suck until the Second Coming. Can't I have the Red Sox not suck once in a while?

Must I have nothing?
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:23:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm thinking about unloading a few cans here and there. I don't get to shoot much anymore, so why not cash in? Then I get sad.
View Quote

I've made about $2,000 in the last week selling some of my factory 9mm & 223. I figure I'm not going to be doing much shooting in the next year+, so I can dump some of my stockpile. I still have several thousand in reserve so I won't miss it.

The funds are buying me a Garand and Suppressor.

If your market is hot and you have some spare ammo, it's not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Must I have nothing?
View Quote

How have you not picked up hockey in the past decade? You've got the penguins right in your backyard.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How have you not picked up hockey in the past decade? You've got the penguins right in your backyard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must I have nothing?

I love hockey season. Every now and then I'll drive down and watch the Wheeling Nailers play.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

bc crosby is a faggot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

bc crosby is a faggot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

bc crosby is a faggot.

Attachment Attached File

Truth be told, I can't think of a single current player I'm excited about. I loved Phil Kessel. I wish we had more goons like Marty McSorley.

And, of course, I wish we had Gritty.

Because goons and fights are what made hockey great.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Big News. Curt "He of the Bloody Sock" Schilling and Manny "The Only Manny" Ramirez are both getting voted on for the HoF this year.

So is Roger "Pincushion" Clemens, but fuck that guy.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:29:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Big News. Curt "He of the Bloody Sock" Schilling and Manny "The Only Manny" Ramirez are both getting voted on for the HoF this year.

View Quote

don't forget my #1 choice

Mr. Barry Lamar Bonds

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Assuming we have baseball in '23 I'm thinking of a pretty cool roadtrip. Start at PNC, catch a game. Drive to Fenway. Catch a game. Drive to Cooperstown. Spend two days. Drive to Toronto. Catch a game. Drive to Detroit. Kill a hooker and catch a game. Drive to Cleveland, catch a game. Home again.

Maybe I'll add in catching games in both NY ballparks and seeing the Filthies.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mr. Barry Lamar Bonds

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Barry Lamar Bonds

Why you got to be like that?
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Schilling won't get the votes because he's conservative.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 1:32:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Assuming we have baseball in '23 I'm thinking of a pretty cool roadtrip. Start at PNC, catch a game. Drive to Fenway. Catch a game. Drive to Cooperstown. Spend two days. Drive to Toronto. Catch a game. Drive to Detroit. Kill a hooker and catch a game. Drive to Cleveland, catch a game. Home again.

Maybe I'll add in catching games in both NY ballparks and seeing the Filthies.

View Quote

that sounds like an awesome idea

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Barry Lamar Bonds

bc he should a HOF lock. Juicers are already in the Hall, and it's just a museum.

if manny and clemens get in over bonds then it will be the biggest joke of all jokes in mlb.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:04:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

bc he should a HOF lock. Juicers are already in the Hall, and it's just a museum.

if manny and clemens get in over bonds then it will be the biggest joke of all jokes in mlb.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mr. Barry Lamar Bonds

My hatred has nothing to do with Clemens has to do more with him being a colossal doucher than anything. My dad was a Coastie. The regulations said he had to go out to sea to rescue people in hurricanes but they didn't say anything about having to come back. My mom was a neonatal intensive care cure. She helped save sick newborns. He'd go to sea and she'd work all kinds of ungodly hours, both missed holidays, birthdays, our games, and so on. They made okay money, but we were never rich.

When I was a teenager, we were stationed in New Hampshire, so basically the only sporting news we got was the Red Sox, the Pats, the Bruins, and the Celtics. One night we were watching the 6 o'clock news. Clemens resigned with the Red Sox and one of the talking heads was asking him about however much money he was going to get. Clemens said he was worth it because what he did was so important.

In all my years of being a reprobate, I never saw my mom come unglued like she did in that moment. Ever since then Clemens has been a four-letter word in our house.

Yeah, I get the economics of baseball and how he puts butts in seats and all of that, but he made more in one start throwing baseballs than my parents, who actually saved lives, made in one year, combined.

And then we throw in the whole juicing aspect.

And Manny should get in just for being so damned entertaining. There should have a whole wing devoted just to "Manny Being Manny".
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

My hatred has nothing to do with Clemens has to do more with him being a colossal doucher than anything. My dad was a Coastie. The regulations said he had to go out to sea to rescue people in hurricanes but they didn't say anything about having to come back. My mom was a neonatal intensive care cure. She helped save sick newborns. He'd go to sea and she'd work all kinds of ungodly hours, both missed holidays, birthdays, our games, and so on. They made okay money, but we were never rich.

When I was a teenager, we were stationed in New Hampshire, so basically the only sporting news we got was the Red Sox, the Pats, the Bruins, and the Celtics. One night we were watching the 6 o'clock news. Clemens resigned with the Red Sox and one of the talking heads was asking him about however much money he was going to get. Clemens said he was worth it because what he did was so important.

In all my years of being a reprobate, I never saw my mom come unglued like she did in that moment. Ever since then Clemens has been a four-letter word in our house.

Yeah, I get the economics of baseball and how he puts butts in seats and all of that, but he made more in one start throwing baseballs than my parents, who actually saved lives, made in one year, combined.

And Manny should get in just for being so damned entertaining. There should have a whole wing devoted just to "Manny Being Manny".
View Quote

yeah you've told us that before. i get it. i'm just saying on GP bonds should be in, whether or not he was a big asshole (and he was to the media, but b/c the media was awful to his dad), everyone knows who bonds is.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#37]
speaking of PEDs, fucking Cano got popped AGAIN and he's suspended this entire season.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

yeah you've told us that before. i get it. i'm just saying on GP bonds should be in, whether or not he was a big asshole (and he was to the media, but b/c the media was awful to his dad), everyone knows who bonds is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't think any juicer should be in the HoF, especially ones that were so obvious about it like Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, even Papi.

It's funny because I accept that baseball is a game of cheating by stealing signs, pine tar on bats, sandpaper in pitcher pockets, and so on where the only sin is in getting caught. Everyone does it, but getting busted is where the problem is, so don't get busted. But I detest juicing because it replaces ability, skill, and luck with such a gross edge that doesn't come from work and so not everyone is able to do it. Basically it makes the game uneven.

And that's even before we get into the whole Bonds is an asshole, Clemens is an asshole, Sosa is insane, and so on.

The best thing Canseco ever did was write his book. Well, that and the Bigfoot hunts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Honestly, I don't think any juicer should be in the HoF, especially ones that were so obvious about it like Bonds, Sosa, McGuire, even Papi.

It's funny because I accept that baseball is a game of cheating by stealing signs, pine tar on bats, sandpaper in pitcher pockets, and so on where the only sin is in getting caught. Everyone does it, but getting busted is where the problem is, so don't get busted. But I detest juicing because it replaces ability, skill, and luck with such a gross edge that doesn't come from work and so not everyone is able to do it. Basically it makes the game uneven.

And that's even before we get into the whole Bonds is an asshole, Clemens is an asshole, Sosa is insane, and so on.

The best thing Canseco ever did was write his book. Well, that and the Bigfoot hunts.
View Quote

but that era existed, and i'd argue most of us enjoyed that era and we don't discredit it the entire period with an asterisk.

we all watched the home run race between sosa and mcguire, a yankee dynasty came from that era, boston broke the curse in that era, your favorite player never missed a game ,
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

but that era existed, and i'd argue most of us enjoyed that era and we don't discredit it the entire period with an asterisk.

we all watched the home run race between sosa and mcguire, a yankee dynasty came from that era, boston broke the curse in that era, your favorite player never missed a game ,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:33:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I am watching MLB and they are looking at ways to get people into the Hall.  Combine their playing days and managing career to get in.  This is what happens when you elect relief pitchers and the DH.

They mentioned Tommy John because he is synonymous with the surgery that is so common in baseball.     Induct Dr. Frank Jobe.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I am watching MLB and they are looking at ways to get people into the Hall.  Combine their playing days and managing career to get in.  This is what happens when you elect relief pitchers and the DH.

They mentioned Tommy John because he is synonymous with the surgery that is so common in baseball.     Induct Dr. Frank Jobe.

View Quote

I bet Beltran doesn't get in now.

when he's eligible, but you know what I mean

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a chance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:16:04 AM EDT
[#44]
I'd like to thank KB for the generous gift he sent me.

When you have a newborn, you can never have too many diapers and burp rags.

I apologize for the quality of the photo as I had to hurry. The second I put it on him, he got very angry, depressed and if I didn't know any better, I'd say a bit drunk.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:20:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/CvHdNgn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2KunGtQ.jpg

I apologize for the quality of the photo as I had to hurry. The second I put it on him, he got very angry, depressed and if I didn't know any better, I'd say a bit drunk.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:15:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well played, sir, well played.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jokes aside, thank you. I will have him wear it in earnest.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I demand pictures of your spawn wearing Black and Gold, and not as a diaper.

I couldn't find a Pirates Parrot that was baby rated, but I'll keep an eye open for one.

For the rest of you, see, if you knock up your old ladies, you too can expect Pirates gear for your attempts to continue the species. Because I take care of my bitches.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Beer Guys hired Matt Arnold as GM an VP of Baseball Operations. Stern gets promoted to President.

Because fuck the Mets, right Beer Guys?
Page / 232
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top