Site Notices
Page / 180
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back to the mound visit thing...
View Quote
Good. I hope this brings back manager/ump fights.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If they truly want to shorten games, do away with the DH and batting gloves.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ray Searage got ejected a couple years back during a mound visit. He was taking too long, the ump felt Searage wasn't respecting his au-thor-it-y and Searage told him to fuck off while he was talking to his pitcher.

PIT@CHC: Searage ejected in the 4th inning

They'll have to go a long way to beat Lloyd McClendon picking 1B off the field and walking off with it though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File
Jesus Christ Frankie is jacked this year.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ray Searage got ejected a couple years back during a mound visit. He was taking too long, the ump felt Searage wasn't respecting his au-thor-it-y and Searage told him to fuck off while he was talking to his pitcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXAD3Id19Y

They'll have to go a long way to beat Lloyd McClendon picking 1B off the field and walking off with it though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKXAD3Id19Y

Honorable mention to this minor league manager

Minor League Braves Manager Phil Wellman Goes Nuts
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The Tampa Bay Rays announce- The Rays Tank!

No seriously.

Phrasing, dumbasses.

Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Speaking on fishy things from Florida...

1) Miami-Dade, suckered into building their beautiful, but Miami-style gaudy, stadium are now suing the Marlins ownership. Good for them.
2) My brother, the Marlins fan (may fuck be upon him), sent me a link to this:
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article200504894.html

Now, some of the comments are the "liar! Jetes is the Second Coming" bullshit, but this stood out from the article:

"In the four players traded away, Miami dumped 20.3 WAR points (wins above replacement), making it the second-biggest offseason decimation of any team in the 147-year history of the game, and most since 1899, according to research by theringer.com. (For perspective, the infamous 1997 Marlins fire sale that left Wayne Huizenga vilified was a talent dump of 16.0 WAR points.) "

Wow. This isn't the Wayne Huizinga 97 fire sale. This isn't even the Loria '03 fire sale. This is the intentional gutting of a team.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Happy birthday to a couple of World Champs!

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Happy birthday to a couple of World Champs!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319933/FB_IMG_1519147952358-458490.jpg
View Quote
Somewhere there is a 911 call recording of Steve frantically calling to report a kidnapping.

"His name is Justin! He got thrown in the back of a primer gray panel van! It was heading towards I-75!"

"You don't understand officer! He's only 27. He was playing in the yard when this guy in a van pulled up and said 'hey kid, wanna play for a winner for once?' I told him about Stranger Danger but the guy in the van offered him candy!"
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I submit the dumbest thing I've heard all year

A Radical Idea That Could Shake Up Baseball | The Rich Eisen Show | 2/20/18
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
I quit when he finally got to the rule after a minute in a half. I thought my BP was already sky high over the guns crap this week and now you lay this on me?

Proposal: 9th Inning, ignore the batting order and put in who every you want to face the pitcher.

IT"S NOT THEIR FUCKING GAME! THEY ARE JUST THE CARETAKERS!

Seriously, is there anyone among the ownership and at MLB HQ that actually cares about the game? If it ain't broken after 150 years we don't need to "fix" it just to pack in a few more commercials and shorten the game so someone who doesn't give a shit about baseball will somehow magically be attracted to the game? Part of the beauty is it is a leisurely game where there doesn't need to be something happening every second but when something does happen it requires blinding speed.

Might as well get rid of pitchers and catchers and just use pitching machines. Fastball, right over the middle of the plate time after time. Every play, like a machine.

Shit, we can probably get through an inning every five minutes and have regular scores that look like basketball scores. You know, because of pace of games and excitement issues.

They take my rights, they take Star Wars, they kill Rock & Roll, and now this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 3:58:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The Champs enjoying some spring training.

Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
And Whitley just got suspended 50 games, non-PED substance. Rumor is he took some adderall or something for a long roadtrip back from seeing a friend play college ball. He wasnt going to be with the Astros (probably the AAA club) but this probably pushes his debut to next year instead of September.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:09:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Forrest Whitley suspended for 50 games for violating the minor league drug policy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Forrest Whitley suspended for 50 games for violating the minor league drug policy.
View Quote
Stupid is as stupid does
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#16]
So he gets dealt 50 games from now as the Player To Be Named Later to some team that got bent over in trades to the 'Stros (Pirates, I'm looking at you). It wasn't like Houston needed him.

I did look at his Twitter feed (nothing there btw) and saw he was using something called Driveline Baseball.  I looked it up and it is high level training gear. It's amazing how far they've come. We just had coaches standing behind us and they'd throw tennis balls at the brick wall to work on our reflexes.

https://www.drivelinebaseball.com/shop-page/
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:34:53 PM EDT
[#17]
MLB.comhas an article on the best (post-Free Agency) players to spend their entire career with the same team.*
http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2018/02/22/266645328/best-baseball-players-to-spend-their-whole-career-with-one-team

They have, by position (with honorable mention)
C: Johnny Bench (Jorge Posada)
1B: Jeff Bagwell (Todd Helton)
2B: Craig Biggio (Lou Whittaker)
SS: Cal Ripkin (Derek Jeter, Robin Yount, Barry Larkin, Alan Trammell)
3B: Mike Schmidt (George Brett, Chipper Jones)
LF: Carl Yazstremski (Pops Stargell)
CF: Kirby Puckett (Bernie Williams)
RF: Tony Gwinn (Dwight Evans)
DH: Edgar Martinez
SP: Jim Palmer
Closer: Mariano Rivero

Now, aside from being a pretty solid list of players, it's kind of shocking who isn't on the list. Mike Scioscia, Don Mattingly, Mike Greenwell, Dave Concepcion, and Jason Varitek are all missing and that's just off the top of my head.

*Who won't be on that list? Justin "Hey guys I'm finally with a winner!" Verlander
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Bregman said he lost a lot of at bats last spring due to the WBC and his season suffered because of it. He plans to have a better season this year with increased at bats this spring. My prediction for one of the elite young talents in the game, .310 BA 25 HR 25 SB 85 RBI. He might even be a Gold Glove candidate.

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:02:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bregman said he lost a lot of at bats last spring due to the WBC and his season suffered because of it. He plans to have a better season this year with increased at bats this spring. My prediction for one of the elite young talents in the game, .310 BA 25 HR 25 SB 85 RBI. He might even be a Gold Glove candidate.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319933/FB_IMG_1519318497692-460750.jpg
View Quote
I'd be very happy with that, but I think he'll be just under .300, and top out around 18 homers. Everything else is ok, although from what Hinch has said, he may lose a few ABs when they move Yuli around during the season, he's probably going to take over the super-ute roll when MarGo leaves to get PAID.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Bregman said he lost a lot of at bats last spring due to the WBC and his season suffered because of it.
View Quote
That makes no sense at all. He wasn't injured during the WBC, even if his at-bats in Spring Training were fewer, he can afford time in a batting cage, and once the season gets going he should be either totally ready to go or get back in the groove quickly. He's young and in shape and effectively had his Spring Training in January during the work ups to the WBC anyways.

If he was working off an off-season full of broads, brats, and booze (you know, the Babe Ruth Experience), sure he might have a valid point, but he's in prime health, fantastic conditioning is ALWAYS available to him on the team dime, and probably has less body fat than my methhead roofer neighbor.

"I didn't perform last year. Ut was totally because I had a shortened Spring Training, yeah, that's it."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That makes no sense at all. He wasn't injured during the WBC, even if his at-bats in Spring Training were fewer, he can afford time in a batting cage, and once the season gets going he should be either totally ready to go or get back in the groove quickly. He's young and in shape and effectively had his Spring Training in January during the work ups to the WBC anyways.

If he was working off an off-season full of broads, brats, and booze (you know, the Babe Ruth Experience), sure he might have a valid point, but he's in prime health, fantastic conditioning is ALWAYS available to him on the team dime, and probably has less body fat than my methhead roofer neighbor.

"I didn't perform last year. Ut was totally because I had a shortened Spring Training, yeah, that's it."

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/455681/1519102718407-460856.JPG
View Quote
I don't know about number of at bats being reduced due to WBC hurting someone's season, but I know that the WBC killed the Tigers last year. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez were both hurt in the WBC. Miggy said after the season ended that his injuries from the WBC bothered him all season. It clearly impacted his performance last year, which was the worst season of his career. Victor also had a terrible season and had recurring injuries. Victor is pushing 40 though and this is almost certainly going to be his last season. I don't know if you can blame Victor's performance entirely on the WBC, but it was at least a contributing factor.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd be very happy with that, but I think he'll be just under .300, and top out around 18 homers. Everything else is ok, although from what Hinch has said, he may lose a few ABs when they move Yuli around during the season, he's probably going to take over the super-ute roll when MarGo leaves to get PAID.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/319933/FB_IMG_1519318497692-460750.jpg
I went with 25 HR due to him hitting the weights in the off-season.  He shed some fat and got stronger. His SBs should be way up, maybe not 25, but he should be running more. I think he cemented himself in the 2 hole and he flashed some nice leather at the hot corner in the latter part of the season to have a legit shot at a Gold Glove. I think .310 BA is very obtainable being sandwiched between Springer and Altuve in the line-up. He should get all the fast balls.

I did read where they are going to look at Reed real hard in spring training to play 1st base due to wanting Yuli to play the Marwin role when his contract is up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't know about number of at bats being reduced due to WBC hurting someone's season, but I know that the WBC killed the Tigers last year. Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez were both hurt in the WBC. Miggy said after the season ended that his injuries from the WBC bothered him all season. It clearly impacted his performance last year, which was the worst season of his career. Victor also had a terrible season and had recurring injuries. Victor is pushing 40 though and this is almost certainly going to be his last season. I don't know if you can blame Victor's performance entirely on the WBC, but it was at least a contributing factor.
View Quote
Agreed. Age + injury takes a toll on the body. Like I wrote, if Bregman had been injured in the WBC, sat on his butt until August and was then thrown in the mix, that's one thing. Conditioning and rehab starts in AAA only go so far, but he wasn't injured, just didn't have much of a Spring Training and that's why he didn't put up the numbers last year? I don't buy it.

Remember, Spring Training was developed because the players weren't doing the nutrition and conditioning and workouts year round like they do now. Now it's just there to put the edge back on, if it even went off in the first place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bregman said he lost a lot of at bats last spring due to the WBC and his season suffered because of it.

Never said he didn't perform,  he was basically saying his numbers suffered according to his standards. I mean, .284 BA 19 HR and 71 RBI while spending the majority of the season stuck somewhere between 7-9 in the lineup isn't anything to scoff at, but he feels he could do much better with more AT BATS in the spring. At bats > hacks in a batting cage.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Agreed. Age + injury takes a toll on the body. Like I wrote, if Bregman had been injured in the WBC, sat on his butt until August and was then thrown in the mix, that's one thing. Conditioning and rehab starts in AAA only go so far, but he wasn't injured, just didn't have much of a Spring Training and that's why he didn't put up the numbers last year? I don't buy it.

Remember, Spring Training was developed because the players weren't doing the nutrition and conditioning and workouts year round like they do now. Now it's just there to put the edge back on, if it even went off in the first place.
View Quote
it took him about a month to find his groove, because he wasn't getting real-time at bats in games. That is definitely a factor, he had maybe a dozen ABs total during the WBC, and very few games in ST. His April was basically his ST. If you look at the numbers after April, they were very respectable, especially for his first full year in the Bigs. He was basically a rookie, and being in the bigs in his second year of pro ball is damn good, he was only drafted in 2015, and most people forget that. He'll be an All-Star this year I'd bet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:38:07 PM EDT
[#26]
We picked up Corey Dickerson from the Rays for Daniel Hudson, a minor leaguer, and a million bucks. He'll be our day-to-day LF, Marte in Center, Polanco in RF.

Going back to the "I missed ST, so it'll take me a while", I'm not sure how much I buy that argument. Other than AAA guys invited to camp, they aren't really playing with the same competitiveness they do in games that count, plus the main players don't generally finish the games anyways.

I've never understood the whole "it takes me to get into a batting groove", I accept that being in a cage isn't the same as facing down a pitcher in a real game situation, but there is no reason, even with a truncated ST, a batter these days shouldn't either A) be in his groove on Opening Day or B) work like Stella in the AAA affiliate.

I've spent far too many years waiting for McCutchen to find his groove somewhere around June or July or maybe August to give much truck with that idea. Either you hit the ball in April or you don't.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:51:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We picked up Corey Dickerson from the Rays for Daniel Hudson, a minor leaguer, and a million bucks. He'll be our day-to-day LF, Marte in Center, Polanco in RF.
View Quote
Seen that earlier. Good grab.

I was hoping we could snag him for cheap.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Time for another edition of "Prove Me Wrong!"

Tonights topic- Colby Rasmus has the worst beard in MLB history. Prove me wrong!

(Say whatever you want in this thread, he won't see it, he's not allowed to use technology.)

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:51:46 PM EDT
[#29]
[b]Quoted:
(Say whatever you want in this thread, he won't see it, he's not allowed to use technology.)

https://i.imgur.com/G2ByUVG.jpg
View Quote

I hated him when he was a Cardinal. Only in it for himself.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Time for another edition of "Prove Me Wrong!"

Tonights topic- Colby Rasmus has the worst beard in MLB history. Prove me wrong!

https://i.imgur.com/G2ByUVG.jpg
View Quote
I hope his GM trades him to the Yankees as a form of intervention.

"They'll MAKE you shave. it's for your own good!"
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I hope his GM trades him to the Yankees as a form of intervention.

"They'll MAKE you shave. it's for your own good!"
View Quote

When I think of a great MLB beard I think- Mike Napoli

Honorable mention goes to Dallas Keuchel
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]
You forgot Johnny Damon in his Red Sox days...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#33]
The beards are bullshit. I'm against it. Get a razor you dopes!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Beards should be an automatic 20 game suspension unless you're a hockey player in the Post-season. No beard then, no playing time.

We're trying to have a civilization with rules.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:07:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fear the Beard

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Beards should be an automatic 20 game suspension unless you're a hockey player in the Post-season. No beard then, no playing time.

We're trying to have a civilization rules.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're trying to have a civilization rules.
So what your saying is Kate Upton isnt allowed to any more ballgames?

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:08:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I never liked him as a player but he was alright on The Grand Tour.

His Taco Bell commercial was dumb
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Greatest beard in the current MLB era.

Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:09:58 PM EDT
[#39]

I am here to lobby for a starting pitcher since our GM ( Dumpster Diving Dipoto ) is too fucking cheap to pick up a free agent arm to get the Mariners over the hump this year.

M's 2018 have a solid offensive lineup and a better than avg defense. They are just sucking hind tit in the starting pitching dept. And all our GM wants to do is pretend he is Monty fucking Hall and play Lets make a Deal trades of no name minor league players for no name big league pitchers
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Who is she married to again? Some guy who left Detroit for a winning team. The name will come to me...
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Welcome to the thread.

Mariners play the As in Japan for the 2019 opener which is pretty cool.

Now heres 45 minutes of bad Mariners trade deals.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Welcome to the thread.

Mariners play the As in Japan for the 2019 opener which is pretty cool.

Now heres 45 minutes of bad Mariners trade deals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIb80T85uk
View Quote
Not going to go thru the pain of watching that ... but yea I see Adam Jones as the poster boy there which is appropriate.
I think that may have been when we wanted Erik Bedard. We got raped
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Who is she married to again? Some guy who left Detroit for a winning team. The name will come to me...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

James...er... Jason... Oh! I know!

It's that Houston Pitcher:

Attachment Attached File

He sure looks happy with that trophy in his hands as part of a winning team that wins things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 2:37:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We're trying to have a civilization with rules.
View Quote
So what you're saying is that you're one of those kids who can't grow a beard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#46]
World Series Beard

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#47]
The Tigers picked up Francisco Liriano today. 1 year $4 million.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The Tigers picked up Francisco Liriano today. 1 year $4 million.
View Quote
A lefty that can't get lefties out. That's why the Astros didnt resign him. Do you think he'll start or...?
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A lefty that can't get lefties out. That's why the Astros didnt resign him. Do you think he'll start or...?
View Quote
He'll probably start. The Tigers signed a bunch of hard luck ball players cheap this year. But, if anyone can get Liriano and Fiers going again the it's Chris Basio.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Watching some Astros baseball.  All is right in the world.
Page / 180
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top