Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 9/27/2022 7:08:21 AM EDT
Interesting video about the "war" and why Putin will win.

It is only 7 minutes long.

Do you think he is right.

‘Naïve’ to think Russia will lose war, says Dr Jordan Peterson
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:12:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Win? What is the victory condition for a Russian win?

ETA: I’ve watched the video Peterson sees a Russian victory as a withdrawal from Ukraine due to the damage already done to infrastructure of Eastern Ukraine. I’m not sure I agree with that. My bet is Ukraine is rebuilt Marshal plan style with Western (taxpayer) money.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

At this rate it could be the US suffering an econimic collapse in part to fundinf 30 years of proxy wars...
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I always get my tactical information from E-celebs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:22:39 AM EDT
[#4]
SureX Russia can win but it all depends on whether the west folds under Nuke/energy blackmail.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#5]
That's gonna hurt some Ukraine garglers feelings. But it is the truth. Fuck Russia and fuck Ukraine.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That's gonna hurt some Ukraine garglers feelings. But it is the truth. Fuck Russia and fuck Ukraine.
View Quote

It is as foolish to say fuck them both as it is to cheer for either side. There are no friends in international relationships only interests.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: I’ve watched the video Peterson sees a Russian victory as a withdrawal from Ukraine due to the damage already done to infrastructure of Eastern Ukraine. I’m not sure I agree with that. My bet is Ukraine is rebuilt Marshal plan style with Western (taxpayer) money.
View Quote

A Russian win condition is the same we had in Iraq and Afghanistan being declared wins or mission accomplished lol.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#8]
It seems that Putin doesnt give a fuck.

If half of Russia's losses are true its clear he wants this at whatever the cost.

He is risking his legacy, his country, the whole bag of marbles on this war.

Does anyone have true intel on what the majority of Russians feel about the war besides all the propaganda I see (from both sides).

Once the ATGM's and other shit is burned thru then what?

I mean what more can we do without boots on the ground or planes in the air.

Its a soverign nation fighting another soverign nation to which we have no formal treaty to protect.

He has Europe by the LP balls and winter isn't far away.

Who will blink first?
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:28:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is as foolish to say fuck them both as it is to cheer for either side. There are no friends in international relationships only interests.
View Quote

Then,  let's go Russia, because I like the old world order where America is a free and sovereign nation more than the New World Order where we are controlled by globalists.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Peterson seems a little out of his element when discussing the war. If he defines Russia winning as leaving a smoking ruin behind and the US spending a trillion to rebuild, then maybe, but that seems more like a draw. Tens of thousands dead and economic ruin on both sides doesn’t seem to be a win.

I think he is talking about how Putin will rationalize it as a win even though it will be a Pyrrhic victory.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:37:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol, so Russia is enduring tremendous losses and surrenedering massive amounts of weapon intelligence to NATO, so it can "damage" infrastructure in Eastern Ukraine?

Sure, okay doc
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#12]
All the numbers are on Russia's side.

As remarkable as Ukraine's resistance has been, they are a long, long way from finished.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:39:46 AM EDT
[#13]
He's playing with semantics. Most would think that Ukraine pushing Russia back to its borders would be "winning", even though the collateral damage to Ukraine and the west is significant. Nobody says that the Allies didn't win WWII because there was massive rebuilding to do after defeating the Axis.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If half of Russia's losses are true its clear he wants this at whatever the cost.

Does anyone have true intel on what the majority of Russians feel about the war besides all the propaganda I see (from both sides).

Its a soverign nation fighting another soverign nation to which we have no formal treaty to protect.

Who will blink first?
View Quote
The fix is in.  We aren't going to let Russia win...or maybe even survive.  It doesn't matter what Russia does, they are effectively fighting the US now.

We will send multiples of Russias entire military budget if we have to. Ever more modern and numerous weapons. All the Intel they can use. All the resources we can muster, until Russia grinds itself to dust.

That's the plan. Pooty doesn't have a lot of options left. None of them good, some of them really bad.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

And rebuilt using the 1/4 trillion in frozen Russian assets.

All while Russia has suffered a massive loss of young men due to both war casualties and those fleeing conscription, plus crippled their own manufacturing, and likely to continue to be squeezed by sanctions for a long time to come. That economic hangover will accelerate the brain drain as talented workers flee the country for better prospects elsewhere.

Nope, Peterson's retreat scenario is not a victory for Russia - anything but.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:43:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Peterson seems a little out of his element when discussing the war. If he defines Russia winning as leaving a smoking ruin behind and the US spending a trillion to rebuild, then maybe, but that seems more like a draw. Tens of thousands dead and economic ruin on both sides doesn't seem to be a win.

I think he is talking about how Putin will rationalize it as a win even though it will be a Pyrrhic victory.
View Quote
His basis for every analysis is psychology, so you might be right.  What Peterson sees as a win and what I think of as a victory might not be the same thing.   Nobody can win and the Ukrainians can still lose.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#17]
When I want information about geopolitics and military conflict, I always ask psychology professors.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:44:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Russia will withdraw once Putin is dealt with by the Russians. Ukrainian will receive reparation from the Russian oil sales.

I think he is confusing the Putin’s will to fight with the Russia people’s will to fight.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

A Russian win condition is the same we had in Iraq and Afghanistan being declared wins or mission accomplished lol.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

So you didnt watch the video? Because his opinion isnt really that Russia wins its more at what costs and what is the world really going to do about. I think its a pretty thought provoking video and honestly I think that Jordan Peterson has come to be a very real voice of reason in todays world. He isnt talking tactics, he is talking much bigger than that.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#21]
russia is getting their shit pushed in and Putin is a dead man walking.  It is just matter of when not if.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So you didnt watch the video? Because his opinion isnt really that Russia wins its more at what costs and what is the world really going to do about. I think its a pretty thought provoking video and honestly I think that Jordan Peterson has come to be a very real voice of reason in todays world. He isnt talking tactics, he is talking much bigger than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just watched it too and you are spot on.

I'm not for Russia or Ukraine, I think we should stay our and let Europe worry about Europe.

I think we look like pussies with Russia looking at out trans welcoming military and just the overall picture. We look weak and on the decline.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Europe is, like us, broke and brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then there’s zero chance.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The fix is in.  We aren't going to let Russia win...or maybe even survive.  It doesn't matter what Russia does, they are effectively fighting the US now.

We will send multiples of Russias entire military budget if we have to. Ever more modern and numerous weapons. All the Intel they can use. All the resources we can muster, until Russia grinds itself to dust.

That's the plan. Pooty doesn't have a lot of options left. None of them good, some of them really bad.
View Quote

‘Fight’ and ‘let’ aren’t words seen in the same sentence often.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When I want information about geopolitics and military conflict, I always ask psychology professors.
View Quote

I watched that interview and wondered if he was ever punched in the face.

He came across as a smug academic, with no real expertise in the topic at hand.

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Factually he isn't wrong I suppose. If Putin can sell to Russians that they smashed Ukraine and that is an acceptable condition for withdrawal he might get away with it. Compared to some of the doozies the US population has lapped up over the years I guess it's a possibility for sure.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Russian shills gonna shill for Russia.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:32:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You sound like a guy who thinks wars are won on the battlefield. That hasn't happened in 75 years.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:34:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lol, I find it refreshingly realistic and down to earth.

Didn’t sound like NPC Ukraine propaganda or Russia Stronk but also Victim Propaganda
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some people in Japan still think they were a victim of WW2. Not that far off to believe that Russia can retreat and declare themselves a winner.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, its not that Russia won't be defeated.

It is at what cost will Russia be defeated. When will Putin accept defeat?

It seems that the world is going to experience some famine and bitter cold before that happens.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#33]
I think the title misrepresents what Dr. P said.  He said that U cannot "win" because the country is already destroyed.  If the war stopped now, it would be the very definition of a pyrrhic victory.  I think he is right about what he said. I said in another post that I thought Putin would use tac nukes, sparingly, and that we would do nothing.  If the land is uninhabitable, it would not be useful as an invasion path.  I'm not saying that is factual, just that this sort of thinking would justify the use of nukes and allow Putin to declare victory and leave.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

'Fight' and 'let' aren't words seen in the same sentence often.
View Quote
Technically not the same sentence but that whole "effectively" thing makes it make sense.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#35]
What the hell does Peterson know about war?

Russia has lost wars before. Hell, Russia has lost wars against countries smaller than Ukraine with less support than Ukraine has.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's better than you, and he knows it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm not for Russia or Ukraine, I think we should stay our and let Europe worry about Europe.

I think we look like pussies with Russia looking at out trans welcoming military and just the overall picture. We look weak and on the decline.

View Quote

I'd rather take a couple of purple haired karens than be Russia right now.

Fun fact: more than 1 in 3 Russian men are alcoholics, the highest rate in the world. You can easily find mobilization videos in which Russian conscripts can't line up correctly because most of them are drunk.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

How's that Russian military doing these days?

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 9:59:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is kinda where I'm at.
I don't want to lose a single American life in battle due to these sh!tholes...
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#40]
He then comments on how Russia could try to re-define a pullout as a win.  *wanking motion*

He seems a little lost on the topic, frankly.  "Putin is just a normal person like us, he's not Hitler" followed by "Everyone has a little Hitler in them".  Typical hollow babble from JP.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sad to see people like you not give a shit when a free people is fighting for its life against a invader with dreams of a second USSR/Russian Empire.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
When I want information about geopolitics and military conflict, I always ask pop psychology professors.
View Quote

ftfy
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Lol, so Russia is enduring tremendous losses and surrenedering massive amounts of weapon intelligence to NATO, so it can "damage" infrastructure in Eastern Ukraine?

Sure, okay doc
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure, okay doc

Why not?! We spent 20 years in Afghanistan spending billions on killing sand people for profit. We should assume that Russians are smarter than that? Logic and war are entirely incompatible.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Sad to see people like you not give a shit when a free people is fighting for its life against a invader with dreams of a second USSR/Russian Empire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

By all means apply today: Put your money where your mouth is

Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Defense has to be 100% effective. Offense only needs to succeed once in a myriad of attempts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You sound like a guy who thinks wars are won on the battlefield. That hasn't happened in 75 years.
View Quote

Maybe I know a little more about it than you realize.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who will blink first?

Maybe, in retrospect, Russia invading its neighbor was a bad idea, then?

The world at large doesn’t really like expansionism.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think the title misrepresents what Dr. P said.  He said that U cannot "win" because the country is already destroyed.  If the war stopped now, it would be the very definition of a pyrrhic victory.  I think he is right about what he said. I said in another post that I thought Putin would use tac nukes, sparingly, and that we would do nothing.  If the land is uninhabitable, it would not be useful as an invasion path.  I'm not saying that is factual, just that this sort of thinking would justify the use of nukes and allow Putin to declare victory and leave.
View Quote

With Respectful disagreement,

Putin will not use tactical nukes because that will completely isolate Russia to become "Western North Korea".  If Western Nations ban all trade with Russian and nations that trade with Russia (like India, China, African & others) those nations may have to seriously re-evaluate to whom they would rather have market access.

Use of a tactical nuke doesn't render the land an irradiated wasteland blocking entry or crossing it for centuries (that's the whole point of a tactical nuke is to be able to use it as a battlefield level weapon)

The Big Question is going to be "What is The Russian Peoples appetite for War & the Losses? Vs. Putins level of being willing to fight to the last soldier (as long as it's not himself)   And how long Ukraine can muster support for weapons to continue the fight.  

I think the Ukrainians will eventually be pressured to settle the war (As much as they want to take back Crimea I see that as a VERY unlikely outcome) regaining their old borders, reparations to rebuild from Russian Assets and joining the E.U. & NATO.

As for Putin's hard line to stop the expansion of NATO.   Welcome to our newest NATO Partners Sweden & Finland!!!

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#49]
I know that Russia does not have the infrastructure to maintain the naval vessels they have, mush less to replace combat losses.  I strongly suspect the situation is no better with regards to combat aircraft or armored vehicles.  In addition, demographics do not look good for the Russian polulace to raise a large number of military aged men, and I don't see the national support for that either.

Stick a fork in them - they are done.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 10:37:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought we were talking about divorce
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top