Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/8/2022 11:19:06 AM EDT
Link

We’re tipping past the point of no return.

Paying via tablet is now the convenient norm at pizzerias, coffee shops, fast food joints and other quick-services spots across the city, but the gadgets are quick to ask if you want to add a healthy gratuity to your order. Touch screens typically prompt patrons to leave a tip ranging from 18 to 30% — and sometimes even higher — when they grab and go.

Occasionally, the prompts replace the old tip jar — upping the ante on what was customarily a tossed buck or some loose change. But in many instances, patrons are being pressured to pony up at places where they’ve never been expected to tip before — say, for waiting on line for their burgers and fries at Five Guys. And they’re not happy about the sudden ubiquity of gratuity gauging.

“I was somewhere spending $23 on just coffee and pastries and the suggested tip was another $8 and I simply said no way. I’ll give a dollar or so as a custom tip amount, but let’s have a reality check here,” said Jared Goodman, a 26-year-old recruiter who lives in Brooklyn. “Recently I got a quick bite with my girlfriend and the suggested tip amounts were 25, 35 and even 40%. That’s just insane.”

Helen Suskin, a consultant from the Upper East Side told The Post that even though she tips regularly on everything from coffee to baked goods, her generosity isn’t exactly coming from the heart. When you order from a counter, she said, “there is no added service,” yet she feels compelled to leave gratuity anyway. “You can call that guilt tipping.”

Others, however, say they won’t be cowed by the machines.

“I don’t tip people who just are doing their jobs by doing counter work,” Chelsea resident Stanley Vogel said, adding that he always tips servers at full-service restaurants. But, “like in a bakery if they’re just giving me a loaf of bread, I’m not gonna tip ’em for that … I never tip people who are counter people that just bring me something I can get myself.”

Smart tablets haven’t changed anything for him: “I’m puzzled that these people who are just doing their job expect a tip for it.”

-more at link for those interested-
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Taking my order…$0

Taking my order, bringing me my food and drink refills, and being prompt and courteous while doing so…20% or more.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr Pink agrees
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#4]
"Worst service ever" & bill was about $18.

Had the gall to ask if I wanted my change back on a $50

Yes, yes I do
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll just quit eating out and be better for it physically and financially.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I tip at dine-in, full-service restaurants or for food delivery.  I tip my masseuse.  I will occasionally tip my barber.  I give my maid a Christmas bonus/tip.

That's it.

I did fuck up and tell a truck driver there was a turnaround at the end of my dead-end street when he made a delivery to me.  Turns out the turnaround was too small for him to use, so he had to back up a big rig several hundred feet.  I gave him a $20 and an apology.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Went to Panera bread () for a meeting and the POS terminal asked if I’d like to tip.

I clean my own table.
I pick up my own food and bring it to my table.
I take my own dirty dishes and trash to the dishbin and trash can.

Fuck you, tip me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I'm with this guy.  

I tip when I am waited on by waiters and waitresses.  I don't tip just because you asked me if I want a medium or large cup.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, I don't tip anyone who isn't actually a waitress/waiter, food delivery person, or barber.

I only tip 20% for waiters and my barber. I tip food delivery people $5 unless it's some massive food delivery for a party or some office event.

If I'm just getting food from over the counter somewhere I don't tip.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:24:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Tip that.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I've been noticing this trend, as well.

This last weekend, I camped at Two Wheels of Suches in Georgia.  You register for a site at the register, and they hand you a tablet with these suggested tip amounts.  You feel like a shit-heel hitting the "No Tip" button, but I'm not tipping for the employee just taking my money for something I'm going to do myself.  Now, if they set up my tent and got the fire started for me, then maybe...
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#13]
We have just decided to cut eating out at restaurants by 75%.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:12 AM EDT
[#14]
It is out of hand. Everywhere I go, they ask for a tip, even after raising prices steadily

Dog groomer…asks for tip

Subway..asks for tip

House cleaners..wife wants to tip even after recent “fuel surcharge”

Hair cut…asks for tip

Mailman? Christmas tip

Car service on vacation? Guy standing there looking at me for a tip, even though the booking said tip is already included in the price

Wife? She gets just the tip so not sure there

You know who doesn’t get a tip for doing their job? Fucking me

On and on and on
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tip at dine-in, full-service restaurants.  I tip my masseuse.  I will occasionally tip my barber.  I give my maid a Christmas bonus/tip.

That's it.
View Quote

I use to tip the barber.  He was $17 or $20.  Now he's at $35.  If he didn't do such a bang job, I'd shop around.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I have noticed this.

I expect to tip when I sit down and eat a meal at a table service restaurant.  If I order at a counter, fill my own drink, get up and bring my food to the table and refill my own drink, shouldn't the restaurant be tipping me by that logic?

It's popping up at other types of businesses, as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Taking my order…$0

Taking my order, bringing me my food and drink refills, and being prompt and courteous while doing so…20% or more.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Next thing you know we will be checking ourselves out at stores.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#20]
My wife cuts my hair and 99% of what we eat she makes.

I give her a tip all right.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I always wonder if they even get the tip with e payments
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

This here. Haven’t eaten our much in over 2 years. My food is better and costs much less.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Jersey Mike's in my AO will punch in your order and take payment before they even start making the sandwich.

They ask "Would you like to leave a tip?" I did it once because they had me in the bear trap but I haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I tip at dine-in, full-service restaurants or for food delivery.  I tip my masseuse.  I will occasionally tip my barber.  I give my maid a Christmas bonus/tip.

That's it.

I did fuck up and tell a truck driver there was a turnaround at the end of my dead-end street when he made a delivery to me.  Turns out the turnaround was too small for him to use, so he had to back up a big rig several hundred feet.  I gave him a $20 and an apology.
View Quote

I'll go be poor somewhere else...........
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Don't forget to round up to save the albino squirrels or some dumb shit
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I don't get the tip at my job, but I often times get the shaft.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
................You know who doesn’t get a tip for doing their job? Fucking me

On and on and on
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

On and on and on

In my 37 years in commercial printing only one customer offered a tip. It was a small rush job, IIRC $400. The guy dropped 400 bucks on my desk and told me to dole it out to the press crew. Fortunately it was just before lunch so they had time to recover from the shock.

Quoted:

That's the plan at our Walmarts. I may bring a stool and watch the hilarity.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

We have as well, coupled with the fact there are no good restaurants around here, it has been pretty easy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#30]
I went to taco bell and the guy at the drive thru asked for a tip. I thought he was joking for a second until he asked a second time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:41:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Do the people working there actually get the tip when it is on a credit card or do the businesses just keep it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#32]
lmao

I start playing this song for them NSFW (if you work with nothing but crackas)

Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#33]

I don’t consider it so much a tip but rather paying it to leave after..
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#34]
The McDonalds kiosk doesn't ask for a tip
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:43:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's it.

We cancelled cable and used the money to get maid service instead.  Best decision we ever made.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kick her azz out the room cuz she used the word ours
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

full of poop on it though from the boomers not washing their hands after going to the restroom
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#38]
first post fucking nailed it!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
"Worst service ever" & bill was about $18.

Had the gall to ask if I wanted my change back on a $50

Yes, yes I do
View Quote

What!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm fighting the legacy of slavery by not tipping.

https://www.amren.com/news/2021/02/tipping-is-a-legacy-of-slavery/
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#41]
This does annoy me, but what really grinds my gears is when all the recommended percentages are stupid high.

Set your point of sale terminal to 25%, 30%, and 35% as the default options? Nope, fuck you - no tip.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Worst is when a restaurant gives you a suggested tip amount for 15%, 20%, etc and it's based on the post tax total.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

In my 37 years in commercial printing only one customer offered a tip. It was a small rush job, IIRC $400. The guy dropped 400 bucks on my desk and told me to dole it out to the press crew. Fortunately it was just before lunch so they had time to recover from the shock.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On and on and on

Quoted:

Robots will be doing the cooking and serving soon.  They will want a tip like that X Files episode.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't tip in the TOC..
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. When BBQ restaurants started charging $90 for a meal for 2 people we stopped eating out at restaurants unless there was a special occasion for it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#46]
From lunch yesterday…as if I’m going to tip on what the government takes from me…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

full of poop on it though from the boomers not washing their hands after going to the restroom
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about the Sistaz with the frito-scoop nails?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#48]
" Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food, I can drive a taxi, I can and do cut my own hair. I did, however, tip my urologist. Because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."

-Dwight K. Schrute III
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Asking for a tip is a sure way to not get one from me.
The best you'll get from me is, "increase your skill set so you are more attractive to employers that pay more".
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#50]
I tend to tip excessively when it comes to tipping.  

But I do not hesitate to "no tip" when it comes to this sort of nonsense.  I didn't expect anyone to tip me when I was a kid working at Taco Bell.  I was getting paid to do that job already and there wasn't any reason for anyone to tip me for it.  There wasn't any way to go above and beyond when it came to service when all I did was take their order and hand them a bag of food.

I'm much less likely to "tip out of guilt" than I am to just stop going to places that do this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top