Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/10/2019 8:07:23 PM EDT
Let me preface this by saying I’m a John Wick fanboy. I have a Glock 34 that I’m thinking about sending to Taran for the “Combat Master” package.  My question, is it really worth it?  I see a lot of Zev, Agency, Taran, etc guns out there and I’m wondering does it really make the gun shoot that much better?  Would I be better off just dropping a trigger, magwell, etc and going on about my business or are these “Gucci Glocks” really worth the extra coin to be worked?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a Glock.  It's accurate, reliable, and relatively inexpensive.   Mine get Trijicon sights, and maybe some grip tape.  Don't spoil it, or it'll be a whiney bitch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The new combat master is an STI by Taran tactical..... You gotta pump them numbers up
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let me preface this by saying I’m a John Wick fanboy. I have a Glock 34 that I’m thinking about sending to Taran for the “Combat Master” package.  My question, is it really worth it?  I see a lot of Zev, Agency, Taran, etc guns out there and I’m wondering does it really make the gun shoot that much better?  Would I be better off just dropping a trigger, magwell, etc and going on about my business or are these “Gucci Glocks” really worth the extra coin to be worked?
View Quote
Why do we have a Glock section if you don't use it ??

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Handguns/Glock/13/

_
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

_
View Quote
The same reason we offer memberships but you don’t buy them!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Forgive me but I've never understood taking a reliable but mundane tool (I carry a G19 everyday) and dumping 4x the purchase pricing into it (say $1800-2500) to arrive at a gun that is comparable to a $1200-1500 factory boutique (like STI or CZ custom)...but with little resale value.  Haters are gonna hate, and it's your hard earned money.  Better the gun industry than some liberal rag or furry fetish I guess.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want a replica of the movie gun, you’re gonna have to send it to TTI. If you just want a heavily modified “Gucci” gun, it’d be cheaper to just buy the parts and do it yourself. Basically the way TTI, Agency, Zev, etc build their guns is to add a bunch of parts and then do purely aesthetic upgrades (cerakote primarily comes to mind). They don’t actually do that much that isn’t drop-in or bolt-on, other than slide milling, stippling, and cerakote.

That said, don’t discount just how much of a difference drop-in and bolt-on parts can make to the shooting experience.

It’s not a Glock, but I’d consider my Sigs to be “Gucci” and I’ve basically just swapped out or added a bunch of parts (other than the Multicam cerakote on the one);

They feel MUCH different from stock now though, and much more to my liking
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:27:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

_
Ooh, someone call the burn unit!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Night sights. extended slide stop. buttplug. Self-applied stippling. that's it. But I don't Gucci anything...
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My Agency Arms build 17 was a damn laser.

Realized though that I was never going to need a pistol with those capabilities or that size. Now a Sog 938 is about all I ever carry.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I will say - getting the slide milled will reduce reciprocating weight and thus reduce the recoil impulse and getting stippling will give you more traction so you won’t have to adjust your grip as much between shots, so those aren’t truly purely aesthetic changes and can make a noticeable difference in the shooting experience. Everything else though (trigger, barrel, magwell, etc) you’d be able to do yourself at home.

They’re not like custom 1911s, not a lot of hand-fitting and tuning going on
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I carry a Roland special. I love Gucci glocks. I hate stock glocks. If your 34 is stock, skip taran IMO.

I’d send the slide to ATEi for red dot and milling and I’d send the frame to Boresight solutions.

I’d rock an overwatch precision trigger and minus connector with a 6lb trigger reset spring. Go with an RMR or an Acro and a magwell of some sort. The gun will be even better
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:38:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Personally, I only add threaded barrels, sights, triggers, magwells etc to my Glocks. The kind of money it takes to buy a Agency, Zev etc is better spent on an H&K USP Expert, USP Tactical, CZ Tactical Sport, Sig Legion, etc. They might be fun to shoot and gawk over but I’m not spending that kind of coin on one when I can just buy an all around better gun right out of the box.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
I say got dayum!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#16]
An rmr and a threaded barrel are as gucci as I've gone.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#17]
lol Hell no.  You can stiple the frame and drop the pull weight and put in a gold barrel and sand the trigger bar and put as many speed holes and do as much as you want but it's still a Glock with a Glock partially pre charged trigger and a Glock grip and Glock accuracy.  Paying thousands of dollars for that is just stupid, and that's fact not an opinion.  No, the gun is quantifiably no better than a factory Glock.  It's not lighter, it's not faster, it's not more accurate, the trigger is not better, the ergonomics are not better.  The only thing that's lighter is your wallet.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#18]
no.

threaded barrel
suppressor heights

go shoot
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Tag for G34 "upgrade" ideas.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Does a Shelby GT500 really drive that much different than a V6 mustang? Depends on your level of skill.

John Wick was a great movie but the taran tactical glocks are over priced garbage banking off the movie.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

_
View Quote
Because that's for serious technical discussion, not post whoring!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Do it TTI does great work you won’t regret it!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here is what I know after having built a few and being involved with a shop that does this kind of work:

Your best investments in a gun are (in order)

1) A better trigger and sights. These are the two most intimate parts of the human interface you have with a pistol. They make the biggest difference in accuracy. Anything more you do to the gun just makes it easier to operate it faster. Spend a bit of time considering what kind of sights you really need.... like most people I shoot with, we all gravitated towards suppressor height sights with thin front blades once we started to become proficient at running and gunning-which Is what John wick does. Once you get decent, you don’t even use the sights for up close targets, so having a giant front post to accommodate that ‘fast’ big dot means you pay a penalty at distance because the sight is too wide.

If you are leaning toward a red dot mounted on the slide, understand that there is a learning curve in picking up the dot and that your presentation out of the holster is different. Going back and forth with irons and red dots on a handgun is really difficult if you shoot a lot so look at it as a commitment if you go that route. Lastly, have the RMR cut machined in your slide and fit to the RMR you bought. Not many companies do this-one factory mount I know of has 76 MOA of slop between the slide, adaptor plate, and RMR.... that’s inexcusable. ATEi does a great job on this.

2)  A Good stippling job. Note that I said good, and not badass looking, you can send your frame off to a place that manages to get lots of their guns in Gucci Gun magazines by throwing free product and money around, or you can send it to a reputable local guy in town and the practical results will be the same. If possible, meet with the local guy so you can see his work and what his samples feel like in your hand. Specifically, look to see if a grip reduction makes sense for you, and how much of a reduction feels best. Some guns can have the mag well beveled for faster reloads, but you want to concentrate on a medium texture coarseness, a trigger guard under cut (lowers the front sight a bit when you punch out with the gun and gets it lower in your hand) and index points done on the sides of the frame.

3) Slide milling..... yes it is worth it. Choose a company (preferable the same company that makes your RMR cut so you don’t pay refinishing twice) that makes functional improvements to your slide rather than something that looks cool but isn’t any lighter or grippier. The object is to make the slide surface more aggressive for racking off of objects, pants, etc. and for press checks on what would normally be a slippery slide surface. Don’t be afraid to have material removed from your slide, it doesn’t really do any work from the breech face forward but locate a barrel.. you will want to run a stronger recoil spring, but your recoil will be much milder with a flatter gun between shots. It really makes a difference.

As for coatings on slides and barrels and General notes: DO ALL THIS WORK TO A CHEAP USED GUN WITH WEAR ON IT! The frame and slide will come back looking like new anyway, better to do it to a $300 gun than a $550 gun. The standard Melonite finish everyone offers is a the same finish that Glock sells as Tennifer. That is what you will get unless you go withTitanium Nitride, Nickle Teflon or Nickle Boron. If you go with a Nickle coating, definitely go with Nickle Boron-Especially if you have the barrel done in it too. Nickle Boron will burnish to a smoother, slicker surface than it already is when it rubs against itself. Don’t get stupid with super light triggers and recoil springs-Glocks are notoriously unreliable when you start to play with these together. I had a G19 with Cool Kid Parts on it that when I pointed the muzzle upward and pulled the trigger the slide would drop out of battery because the striker spring and recoil spring were so close in strength.

Don’t buy the Taran, Zev, Whatever custom Glock. You’ll spend so much money you won’t use it for what it’s for and you’ll lose your ass and miss making a trailer payment or two when you try to sell it. They just aren’t that amazing unless they are safe queens that don’t get shot often enough to show that they really aren’t that great..... sorta like those $4500 1911’s...

Just build it yourself.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
An rmr and a threaded barrel are as gucci as I've gone.
View Quote
This and I throw in an overwatch precision tac trigger
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I built a Gucci Glock 19 off a P80 lower as a project just to see if I could.  Never "built" a pistol before.  Did the machined slide and "match barrel", RMR, flared magwell.  The grip angle is different which I like, and it has a great grip texture.  I would liken it to lifting a truck.  You spend money to get a certain look, but will never get a return on your investment if you sell.  But I say do what makes you happy.  If you can afford it, do it!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Forgive me but I've never understood taking a reliable but mundane tool (I carry a G19 everyday) and dumping 4x the purchase pricing into it (say $1800-2500) to arrive at a gun that is comparable to a $1200-1500 factory boutique (like STI or CZ custom)...but with little resale value.  Haters are gonna hate, and it's your hard earned money.  Better the gun industry than some liberal rag or furry fetish I guess.
View Quote
I think I can answer that: because you end up with the gun that is right for you when you build it yourself.

I never understood why people will throw a metric assload of weekend overtime money at upgrading their AR but a handgun that you are much more likely to have with you when you need a gun somehow isn’t worthy of being improved....
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 8:59:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Of course it's not actually worth it

But I say that in the nicest way I guess.

Like most luxury things the value/dollar cost nose dives and isn't really the point.

And like most things like that you're paying for the experience, exclusively, and just cuz you can.

At that point only you can answer if it's worth it to you.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Attachment Attached File

Threaded barrel, ATEi milking for RMR/front serrations, HSP skimmer trigger and Vickers mag release are as much as I've done. It's cool but unnecessary. With the new MOS models I won't be doing that again.

Spend $3000 on ammo and training instead.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, the gun is quantifiably no better than a factory Glock.  It's not lighter, it's not faster, it's not more accurate, the trigger is not better, the ergonomics are not better.  The only thing that's lighter is your wallet.
View Quote

Spoken like someone who’s never actually handled/shot a well-built custom Glock
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#30]

I paid $269 for this slide work which was worth it to me for the added features. Would I have paid agency money...no. It's still a glock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#31]
What does a gucci AR do that a stock colt 6920 can't?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What does a gucci AR do that a stock colt 6920 can't?
View Quote
They can be considerably easier to use.

Stock AR’s kinda suck once you start changing the right parts out. You don’t need to spend $3k, but damn..... it doesn’t take much to truly improve your weapon.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I carry a Roland special. I love Gucci glocks. I hate stock glocks. If your 34 is stock, skip taran IMO.

I’d send the slide to ATEi for red dot and milling and I’d send the frame to Boresight solutions.

I’d rock an overwatch precision trigger and minus connector with a 6lb trigger reset spring. Go with an RMR or an Acro and a magwell of some sort. The gun will be even better
View Quote
Got a picture of your set up in similar style?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:38:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Send it to Mod 1.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#35]
A good stipple job makes a world of difference to me rather than a stock grip.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a TTI G41

Best Glock I have ever fired. I own 15 others, and have probably sold 20 more.

I will be sending one of my gen 3 34s to them for full package.

Fuck the haters
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#37]
@bowhunter035 - It would still be helpful to know why you’re looking at a TTI Glock. Are you wanting a JW2 clone gun, or just a generally heavily modified G34 like the kind that was used in JW2?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Before you can consider such a purchase, you have to be worthy.  
Can you SHOOT as well as John Wick?

Keanu Reeves, 3 Gun, Taran Tactical, Got Wick?
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#40]
If you want a “work” gun or competition gun. Trigger of your choice, magwell if you need help reloading quick, and an optic cut if you want the help of a red dot. That’s all you need.

If you want something pretty, then Gucci it is. I own a handful of Gucci glocks. I also own a glock 34 MOS. Besides the unusually high mount on the MOS. They basically do the same thing (have Zev triggers in all of them).

I will say my Zev guns are lighter than the stock ones though.

Obligatory Gucci pic.

Now the CWOCK is a totally different animal!

The optic doesn’t reciprocate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:27:25 PM EDT
[#41]
RMR and trigger are worth it, everything else is mainly for show.

With that said, I'm actually in the process of putting together a gold Cartel themed Glock 19x
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

_
ROTFLMAO!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I have an SJC G17 that can shoot a 124 gr HP over some Power Pistol in a 9x19 case and make over 1400 fps.

The bad part is, it kind of feels like hitting a softball with a wiffle ball bat.

It is fun to shoot, but in the end I used it to set some times to beat with my G34 with every thing different about it done by me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Just buy a Brownells RMR slide and a P80 frame.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Idk about worth the coin. I figured some stuff was just to make it Gucci.

Here is my current project.
Attachment Attached File

I’m $504 into it as pictured with RMR cut and additional cut slide, zev suppressor sights m, RMR cover etc.

Sending slide off for paint. RMR is next, and threaded barrel. That’s about all she’ll get.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Does a Shelby GT500 really drive that much different than a V6 mustang? Depends on your level of skill.

John Wick was a great movie but the taran tactical glocks are over priced garbage banking off the movie.
View Quote
Please tell us more about how they are garbage.  First hand please. Taran was building guns before the movie came out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:42:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Wish I knew how to submit pictures, love my statement defense glock 19. Like literally love it!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:45:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Here is what I know after having built a few and being involved with a shop that does this kind of work:

Your best investments in a gun are (in order)

1) A better trigger and sights. These are the two most intimate parts of the human interface you have with a pistol. They make the biggest difference in accuracy. Anything more you do to the gun just makes it easier to operate it faster. Spend a bit of time considering what kind of sights you really need.... like most people I shoot with, we all gravitated towards suppressor height sights with thin front blades once we started to become proficient at running and gunning-which Is what John wick does. Once you get decent, you don’t even use the sights for up close targets, so having a giant front post to accommodate that ‘fast’ big dot means you pay a penalty at distance because the sight is too wide.

If you are leaning toward a red dot mounted on the slide, understand that there is a learning curve in picking up the dot and that your presentation out of the holster is different. Going back and forth with irons and red dots on a handgun is really difficult if you shoot a lot so look at it as a commitment if you go that route. Lastly, have the RMR cut machined in your slide and fit to the RMR you bought. Not many companies do this-one factory mount I know of has 76 MOA of slop between the slide, adaptor plate, and RMR.... that’s inexcusable. ATEi does a great job on this.

2)  A Good stippling job. Note that I said good, and not badass looking, you can send your frame off to a place that manages to get lots of their guns in Gucci Gun magazines by throwing free product and money around, or you can send it to a reputable local guy in town and the practical results will be the same. If possible, meet with the local guy so you can see his work and what his samples feel like in your hand. Specifically, look to see if a grip reduction makes sense for you, and how much of a reduction feels best. Some guns can have the mag well beveled for faster reloads, but you want to concentrate on a medium texture coarseness, a trigger guard under cut (lowers the front sight a bit when you punch out with the gun and gets it lower in your hand) and index points done on the sides of the frame.

3) Slide milling..... yes it is worth it. Choose a company (preferable the same company that makes your RMR cut so you don’t pay refinishing twice) that makes functional improvements to your slide rather than something that looks cool but isn’t any lighter or grippier. The object is to make the slide surface more aggressive for racking off of objects, pants, etc. and for press checks on what would normally be a slippery slide surface. Don’t be afraid to have material removed from your slide, it doesn’t really do any work from the breech face forward but locate a barrel.. you will want to run a stronger recoil spring, but your recoil will be much milder with a flatter gun between shots. It really makes a difference.

As for coatings on slides and barrels and General notes: DO ALL THIS WORK TO A CHEAP USED GUN WITH WEAR ON IT! The frame and slide will come back looking like new anyway, better to do it to a $300 gun than a $550 gun. The standard Melonite finish everyone offers is a the same finish that Glock sells as Tennifer. That is what you will get unless you go withTitanium Nitride, Nickle Teflon or Nickle Boron. If you go with a Nickle coating, definitely go with Nickle Boron-Especially if you have the barrel done in it too. Nickle Boron will burnish to a smoother, slicker surface than it already is when it rubs against itself. Don’t get stupid with super light triggers and recoil springs-Glocks are notoriously unreliable when you start to play with these together. I had a G19 with Cool Kid Parts on it that when I pointed the muzzle upward and pulled the trigger the slide would drop out of battery because the striker spring and recoil spring were so close in strength.

Don’t buy the Taran, Zev, Whatever custom Glock. You’ll spend so much money you won’t use it for what it’s for and you’ll lose your ass and miss making a trailer payment or two when you try to sell it. They just aren’t that amazing unless they are safe queens that don’t get shot often enough to show that they really aren’t that great..... sorta like those $4500 1911’s...

Just build it yourself.
View Quote
Hey from Michigan.  
Nice post!
Link Posted: 5/10/2019 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wish I knew how to submit pictures, love my statement defense glock 19. Like literally love it!
View Quote
Look anything like these?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top