Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2023 3:40:59 PM EDT
I rewatched Saving Private Ryan and it dawned on me that Capt. Miller's final words to Ryan-- 'Earn This'--could apply to all of America.  Make your country worthy of the sacrifices made by our armed forces.

Think we've fallen short?

Saving Private Ryan - "Earn This"
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:49:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No
We have not fallen short.
There’s always a flip side. A country has to be worth serving. The folks who go about their business and live life is what creates the ( better than anywhere else ) environment that justifies serving and protecting.
In general, folks who inject themselves into stuff that has nothing to do with them are folks living their worst life.
“ Earn It “ means to live YOUR best life.
We have not fallen short
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Many on this website claim what we are witnessing is no different than the past, we are overreacting, or we are watching too much news.

With all that has happened to this country in the past 5 years, its despicable what we've allowed our country to become.  The left is a sick bunch of people and they are winning and those brave men and women that fought for our freedom have been let down greatly
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many on this website claim what we are witnessing is no different than the past, we are overreacting, or we are watching too much news.
With all that has happened to this country in the past 5 years, its despicable what we've allowed our country to become.  The left is a sick bunch of people and they are winning and those brave men and women that fought for our freedom have been let down greatly
View Quote

Veterans served for your right to burn our flag and will protect you from all enemies foreign or domestic that try to outlaw/stop you from burning our flag.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 4:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Veterans served for your right to burn our flag and will protect you from all enemies foreign or domestic that try to outlaw/stop you from burning our flag.
View Quote

Now do it about transing your kids.

Since freedom of expression has been twisted by the left on so many levels I don’t know if there is even an analogy that fits. We are getting to a stage where displaying that same flag is considered hate speech and worthy of censorship.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The scene where Tom Hanks says "earn this" followed by the scene at the cemetery when Ryan asks his wife if he was a good man, have never ceased to choke me up.  I have seen it many times, and I think it is a very moving ending.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I rewatched Saving Private Ryan and it dawned on me that Capt. Miller's final words to Ryan-- 'Earn This'--could apply to all of America.  Make your country worthy of the sacrifices made by our armed forces.

Think we've fallen short?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ojOXRrsUbY
View Quote

What have you done?
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
We are fighting the domestic enemy never envisioned, recognized or acknowledged by Captain Miller's generation.

Those people exploited the rights and freedoms protected by our Constiturtion and preserved by that generation.
And once they gained power, they have worked tirelessly to pull up the ladder behind them and prevent others from doing the same thing.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell me I’ve led a good life has always gotten me
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tell me I’ve led a good life has always gotten me
View Quote

Me too, i ball my head off when I see that old man kneel at the grave cross and his family is the background not understanding  
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Watching it right now.  They just turned the German machine gunner loose.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Me too, i ball my head off when I see that old man kneel at the grave cross and his family is the background not understanding  
View Quote

I haven’t
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
If I were to guess, I would assume virtually all of us who survived Iraq/Afghanistan and other conflicts can look at that scene and think that we all are "Private Ryan."  We had a chance to come home when our buddies did not.  We have this opportunity to "Earn this" life we've been given post-War and I know I can barely watch that scene without tearing up, it resonates so much.  I have tried "to live my life the best I could" as he says in the movie, and yeah... I hope it was enough.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say that for a few decades after the war we as a country "earned" it.

In the last couple decades? No.

In the last couple years? LMFAO.

This thing (a nation without borders is not a country) is circling the drain ricky ticky and it seems anyone of any value is just going to watch it go down the drain.

So yeah, I'd say we haven't earned it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:05:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Yup….

That’s how I took it from day 1.

Tried but likely failed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The scene where Tom Hanks says "earn this" followed by the scene at the cemetery when Ryan asks his wife if he was a good man, have never ceased to choke me up.  I have seen it many times, and I think it is a very moving ending.
View Quote

Top Top