Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:40:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Other:

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/387139/3918838/SKS&accessories.jpg

Its not chambered for a full power rifle cartridge like the others but it was available in the same timeline.  SKS.
View Quote

I would take the SKS over the others too.

Having said that I've never fired, or even handled a FN49 or K43 so I am really only comparing it to the SVT40 and Garand.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That and millions of Russians. The vast majority of the war was on the eastern front.

View Quote

It was.  Granted, without US supplies and equipment the Russians would have had a much, much harder time of it.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
FN49, the last and greatest of it's kind.
View Quote

I had one.

You'll never convince me of that.

ETA: I clicked other. My FN was a jamomatic, the trigger sucked, the pistol grip was overly thick and overall unnecessarily heavy. That's all that I can remember from 25 years ago. That and I regret buying it. Compared to the Norinco SKS that I owned simultaneously, I would rather take the SKS into battle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I own an SVT, four FN49s, and a bunch of Garands.

The SVT is a pleasure to shoot, but a pain to clean. It's also a bit fragile, and I can imagine it suffered from maintenance and reliability issues in combat.

The FN49 is also great fun to shoot. It's sights are inferior to those on the Garand, but it is capable of handling a variety of loads, as the gas system is easy to adjust.

The Garand is the best of those I've shot. The trigger is better than the others, without modification, and it has better sights. It's also exceptionally reliable.

I choose:

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know.

I'd like to have one of each.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
How effectively, and to what extent it was used in battle,Or which one I would most want to have?

Garand for both.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It was.  Granted, without US supplies and equipment the Russians would have had a much, much harder time of it.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and millions of Russians. The vast majority of the war was on the eastern front.

This too. Most people who trumpet the "The Russians won the war! We were a sideshow!" forget that Lend-Lease supplied ALL of Russia's railroad locomotives and most of the railcars, thousands of trucks, Jeeps, and tanks, thousands of transport and fighter planes (they loved the P-39), millions of gallons of fuel and oil, millions of tons of ammunition, ordnance, food, even clothing.

The Russians were able to crank out T-34s, Yaks, MiGs, IL-2s, Mosins, PPSh-41s, PPS-43s, DP-28s, and the like in such huge quantities because the West's supplies allowed them to focus production like that.
Would they have made as many T-34s if they'd had to build their own trucks and railroads? Would they have built as many IL-2s and Yak-3s if they'd had to build transport planes? Or if they'd had to manufacture ALL of their ammunition and ordnance? Would they have used so many tanks without the flow of Western-supplied oil?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
List needs MAS 49, IMO
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless you've had range time with all four of them how can you give an honest answer?

Nah, fuck that.  I'll go with the Garand.

Though the other ones look nice.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I've owned a garand and svt.  I've held several fn-49's but never felt the need or want to make them mine.  The g43's I've read were overgased and prone to damaging their bolts.  I believe current owners of these respring them to help with this problem.  My svt didn't balance as well as the garand and prone to throwing flyers especially the first round and I believe this problem caused then to fall out of favor as a sniper platform.  Mine got a lot of attention at the range but I sold it because I feared what would occur if it broke a part.  The sights were not as good as the garand and the recoil impulse slowed the follow-up shot.  Don't get me wrong I liked mine and if the price was right I would buy another.

The garand for all of it's short coming is proven effective and reliable.  It proceeded all the rifles it is being compared to and for which they are judged.  It was the our first try only to be surplanted by the M14.  The Russians tried with the svt38 and the Germans with the g41 both were unsuccessful.  It was issued in larger numbers than it's counterparts and utilized in combat in just about every possible environment and weather.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Other, the M1 Carbine was easily the best rifle of WW2. It would have been even better with its full auto function intact like it was intended to. Should have ditched M1 Garand and all SMG production for the carbine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to agree with George Patton.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
No mention of the French MAS 49? I have no direct experience with it, but it seems to be a solid and well made rifle.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#14]
K43 has an overpowered gas system and will beat its stamped receiver to death.  The gas system was copied directly from the SVT but deleeted the adjustment feature.

SVT is cool but more fragile then the garand or 49.

Ljungmann/hakim has direct gas impingement and shoots well but the bolt will mangle you good if you
Mess up reloading.

Garand is the best combination of robustness and "shootability"

None are perfect-the garand in my book is the least imperfect.  I do like my FN49s though.

Edit to add that I do own and regulary shoot all of the above-for what it' s worth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Even the Nazis, who were prolific innovators of infantry weapons, coveted captured SVT-40 rifles. That one gets my vote, and I have a lot more time behind the M1.

I suspect that this poll is being heavily skewed by people who haven't even heard of the other three rifles, or have no experience with them, or are just voting based on " 'Murica, yeah."
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Garand.

Enblocs beat strippers hands down.

All the others are stripper fed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Garand.

View Quote

That would be news to the hundreds of thousands of SVT-40s out there and their 10 round detachable magazines.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This. Others may have had aspects in which they were more advanced, more ergonomic, or better in a technical fashion.

But the M1 Rifle was the only one that was available, in general-issue quantities, for the largest armed conflict in human history. For that I'd give it the vote of "better service rifle," because it was the only one to actually be a widespread "service rifle" when it counted.

Having said that, I want both an SVT-40 and FN-49.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garand.

This. Others may have had aspects in which they were more advanced, more ergonomic, or better in a technical fashion.

But the M1 Rifle was the only one that was available, in general-issue quantities, for the largest armed conflict in human history. For that I'd give it the vote of "better service rifle," because it was the only one to actually be a widespread "service rifle" when it counted.

Having said that, I want both an SVT-40 and FN-49.

The SVT-40 was the primary issue rifle for the USSR in WWII for a large portion of the war.  They had so many in fact that the Germans and Fins LOVED them...........
Also I take this pole to be asking which rifle is better only based on its merits not on its overall big picture status.  In this case I'd go with???? Since I don't know enough about all of them to make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That would be news to the hundreds of thousands of SVT-40s out there and their 10 round detachable magazines.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Garand.

To be fair,while the SVT and K43 have detachable mags, the rifles were intended to be reloaded with strippers in action.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#20]
m1 Garand.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No mention of the French MAS 49? I have no direct experience with it, but it seems to be a solid and well made rifle.
View Quote

The MAS 49 is better than all of the choices in the poll. The AG-42B is also absent and a very nice rifle.

Of what's listed, the FN49 is technically a better rifle than the Garand.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#22]
It's sorta dumb to compare the M1 Garand, which was designed initially in 1926 to rifles that came out during the Cold War.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Of those 4, the FN 49.

Of the WWII rifles, the Garand with the G43 a close second.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:10:10 PM EDT
[#24]
All those other rifles are pretty good- but they're no match for the Garand.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its sights are pretty awful...for long-range shooting, and in general.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:18:18 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ljungman
View Quote

Gesundheit.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup

Except not contemporary with the others.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Even the Nazis, who were prolific innovators of infantry weapons, coveted captured SVT-40 rifles. That one gets my vote, and I have a lot more time behind the M1.

I suspect that this poll is being heavily skewed by people who haven't even heard of the other three rifles, or have no experience with them, or are just voting based on " 'Murica, yeah."
View Quote

The Germans re-issued every weapon that they captured enough of, including the M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

The biggest impact of the SVT-40 was the copying of its gas system for the G43.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

FN49 in 7x57 is awesome beyond comprehension!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FN49 in 7x57 is awesome beyond comprehension!

As is the AL in 30.06
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
To be fair,while the SVT and K43 have detachable mags, the rifles were intended to be reloaded with strippers in action.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Garand.

Both were issued with one magazine, like the SMLE.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love Garands, but this.

+1

This.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Garand.

Yup.

BTW, I voted Garand which is much better at reloading with its 8 round clip.

Some
might think that the others that have what appear to be detachable mags
would have an edge because of that, but remember the mags on most MBR's at that time
were only meant to come off for cleaning. Most soldiers were not issued
spare mags let alone have extras for mag swaps as we know them. Those
that held 10 rounds required 2 5 round stripper clip feedings, which would suck balls.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
The AG-42B is also absent and a very nice rifle.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#34]
ive always wanted an svt-40...well, maybe not always but the  last 20 years anyway
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:10:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Just watch......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG_XoePfEoI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMpJ4qkt-9Y

Of course you don't have to agree.  But, I've watched many a video opinion flick(s) and consistently you'll see the Garand on the top.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
The enbloc was part of the complete Garand system as it were.  They didn't run up loose rounds to the troops to fill up used clips.  They passed out bandoleers filled with packaged clips ready to go.  A pretty good design even for today where soldiers have to stop and fill up their magazines when they empty them.   In WWII and Korea and Vietnam, they just had to open up an ammo can, grab some badoleers, and they were good to go.

Even today, grab my m1 and a bandoleer and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

Designed in 1935.  Dieudonne Saive, the same guy who finished the Hi-Power pistol after JMB died, designed the rifle.  He smuggled the plans out of Belgium right ahead of the Germans and worked in England during the war trying to come up with a version of the rifle the British would use.  Back at FN after the war, the design was finally put into production in 1949.  The operating mechanism, almost completely unchanged, would later be used in the FN-FAL.

The original design is contemporary with the others, and it's not too implausible to imagine a what-if world where the British started fielding a version of the FN49 before the end of WWII.  So I think it's fair to compare it alongside other WWII-era rifles.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top