Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd have to say getting emotionally and then physically involved with an already involved woman whom I thought I could be a knight in shining armor to. Her boyfriend was/isn’t the greatest (cheated on her, is a pot head, can’t manage money despite having a well paying job, has deppression issues), and I thought she could do better. She wound up breaking my heart and going back to him after breaking up with him for a chance to be with me, despite having said she spent the best weekend of her life with me. I guess after 5 years with the guy she just couldn’t be without him. Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#2]
1. Not buying a Vector Uzi when they were NIB for $2900 a couple of years ago.

2.  Listening to high school/college guidance counselors.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Turning down Kiana Tom on a date a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#4]
not joining the military at 17
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Not following God's will for my life every minute of every day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:50:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Having to go to the "big bad University of Florida" for my first two years of collage - driving past a good community collage to do so.

I beat my brains out!

and not saveing as much money as I could have when I was younger.

Later,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Smoking.

Quoted:
Not marrying her when I had the chance.....

What these guys said.

Other than that, I really wouldn't change a thing.  I have made alot of what people call "mistakes" and I might be even better off had I not made them, but I'm pretty goddamn happy right now and wouldn't be here or be doing as well if I didn't have the background I do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Going into the restaurant business after graduating from college instead of holding out for anything
even closely related to what a business major should do.  Although the unemploymet rate was sky high in 1982.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, as good as things are right now, I haven't made any really bad mistakesin my life that I can think of.

Watch.  Now I'll get cancer.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Marrying my ex-wife.

Same here.

+1

and as a young 2LT listening to the O-4 battalion S3 that talked me out of going to helo school.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Paying any attention to what my parents said.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I dont think the statute of limitations on prosecution is up, ask in 4 yrs ok?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
1. Not buying a Vector Uzi when they were NIB for $2900 a couple of years ago.

Well, at least I did that. $2570. I smile every time I think about it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Turning down an appointment at Annapolis. By far the biggest mistake I ever made and the only one I wish I could take back, though I would also say that if I had done so I would not have met my wife and had the kids I now have. So I guess, in retrospect, that I wouldn't go back and change it now but it was kind of a dumb thing to do at the time.

I turned down an appointment to West Point - and have wondered for years where I would be if I hadn't, but like you, I would have never met my wife nor had my daughter.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Letting her go.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Worse thing  I ever did was stumble across this website.  Now every spare penny I have goes to guns and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
wow....

I could sink myself on this thread!

My walk-in closet of skeletons will stay right where I put them thank you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Worse thing  I ever did was stumble across this website.  Now every spare penny I have goes to guns and ammo.

LMAO. Me too!
But coming here has saved me a shitload of money on what I've bought
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#19]
WGAF?  The question should be, what have you accomplished in spite of bad decisions??
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I've learned from most of mine so don't really regret them.
-Not marrying a certain perceived to be wonderful lady.... Flipside? maybe she would have turned out "not so wonderful"
-Not having invested in more real estate when I was younger.... yeah, that was a definite fuck-up

--RR
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#21]
It'd be about an 18 way tie for me.

Too many "I shoulda's".
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
WGAF?  The question should be, what have you accomplished in spite of bad decisions??

bachelor's degree in architecture, master's in construction management, promoted to project manager after 2 years in the industry, over $20k in raises within 2 years of entering the industry, now in charge of $16 mil worth of new school additions at 6 different schools.  All are currently on time and under budget and should make my company well over $1mil actual profit by the time we're done in March.

All of this from an ex-skinhead, ex-punk rocker, ex drug user, ex thief, still tattooed, redneck who has faced felony charges (no convictions) a car accident that nearly killed me, and collapsed lungs on 3 different occasions (not the car accident), not to mention the number of times I've had death threats both verbal and actual guns & knives pointed at me or brandished in my direction.  I didn't do a single homework assignment in high school, and still managed to get into college by the skin of my teeth with a 1270 on the SAT (before they added the current free 200 points).

People have said I should talk to young kids about getting motivated, I say I'm a poster child for mispent youth!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#23]
ooof...

collapsed lungs....

I unfortunately know what that's all about.  Sucks doesn't it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:56:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Not saving more money when I was a single E-5 so I could buy more guns.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Shoulda taken the red pill.

- BG

lol
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Screwing up in college, and getting fat while I was there. O well, I can fix them. Thankfully, none of my bad decisions so far have fucked me too hard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ooof...

collapsed lungs....

I unfortunately know what that's all about.  Sucks doesn't it?

Yup.  But I have to say that it's one of those things where the treatment hurts even worse.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:12:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Deciding back in '95 that my 16-year-old son was mature enough to go to college.  I was tired of dealing with him and I decided someone else could do a better job of raising him.  I buried him in '97.  Nothing else even comes close.  His suicide broke my heart.  Jesus healed my heart.  Now I try real hard to share my healing with others.  But, it's a pain that never really goes away.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:17:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Going with a crapy degree... Not taking advantage of an intern... I mean an internship. Now I am stuck making less money than I did right out of Highschool!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:26:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not going in the Navy (nuke program) after High School.
BUT........I do not regret anything because I would not be where I am today if I hadn't made some dumb mistakes and different life choices.

I would not be with my current wife.

I would not have my current children.

Just think of the "Butterfly Effect" and how different your life would be if just ONE incident in your life was changed.

ha...you didnt miss much!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#31]
biggest regret, not buying all the nfa weapons i could have afforded in 1986,
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Two big mistakes - both involve relationships I should not have gotten into.  But I learned from them; I don't have emotions anymore.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not going in the Navy (nuke program) after High School.
BUT........I do not regret anything because I would not be where I am today if I hadn't made some dumb mistakes and different life choices.

I would not be with my current wife.

I would not have my current children.

Just think of the "Butterfly Effect" and how different your life would be if just ONE incident in your life was changed.

ha...you didnt miss much!

ya first on the boat, last to leave, I'm glad I lessoned to by cousin, and went Nav ET.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Two big mistakes - both involve relationships I should not have gotten into.  But I learned from them; I don't have emotions anymore.

Don't let 'em take your humanity away. It is one of a woman's greatest assets.
And choose carefully. We're not all bums!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Married the current wife ... this marriage isn't long for this world at this point - and I should have paid attention to the signs 20 years ago before hand
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Letting that hot chinese chick take that last swig of whiskey.
She and her friend were ready to go.  Then she puked.

Oh well, a bird in hand...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Not being able to calm down and relax enough while my husband was in the military. I didn't allow myself to enjoy the small stuff. Time with him, days at the park with my daughter. Putting up holiday trimming with my family, and ect. Those four years of my life I cannot get back.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Deciding back in '95 that my 16-year-old son was mature enough to go to college.  I was tired of dealing with him and I decided someone else could do a better job of raising him.  I buried him in '97.  Nothing else even comes close.  His suicide broke my heart.  Jesus healed my heart.  Now I try real hard to share my healing with others.  But, it's a pain that never really goes away.

Wow.

I was going to share mine but I can't now. All my mistakes, and there are many, seem so trivial when I read things like this. I truly feel for your loss and pray that God continues to heal.

Thanks for putting things in perspective for me.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
buying a ring and asking that chick to marry me

anybody know anything about selling diamonds?

I doWell selling no but I can tell you retail at a Jewlery shop is 300% markup
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Buying that damn Mach 1 last year  

Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#41]
I can think of somethings that might be called mistakes, but all in all these mistakes have made me who I am today.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Marrying my ex-wife.

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Oh, admit it - you're learning more from that car than you've ever learned with all that fancy schoolin' of yours!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Not marrying her when I had the chance.....

+3 (Three different females.)

Also, doing better in high school and being able to go to a 4 year college.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:54:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Working for a company that does not have a portable pension plan.

357mag
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Getting addicted to guns.  Aside from the financial issue, they have hindered my mobility (can't leave them for long periods of time and have had to pass up on great offers to get out of CT because it meant giving up my firearms), socially they have been bad to me (had to pass up numerous parties/semi illegal fun times because of my CCW) and have also done damage to my love life (A few relationships have been ruined because of the gun issue, even my most serious relationship ever).
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#47]

Going on that fishing trip and losing all my guns !!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I should've married my wife earlier. I just waited too long.

Bought that NIB HK94 with 5 factory mags for $750 in 1989. $HIT! That gun is now worth $4,000!

Buying GE stock in 1988 after my friend told me to buy it, I chickened out, I would be worth something like $2million today.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, admit it - you're learning more from that car than you've ever learned with all that fancy schoolin' of yours!

What I'm mostly learning is what a collosal idiot I am.

I mean, I SORTA knew it already, in a theoretical sense, but now I really understand it in a practical sense!  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 8:01:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
wow....

I could sink myself on this thread!

My walk-in closet of skeletons will stay right where I put them thank you!

Same here.
However, I will say marrying my wife.  If I had known how much freedom I would lose, I wouldn't have.  If I had known how much freedom I gave her in practically running my life, I wouldn't have.  I look back and wonder what the hell I was thinking.  If I could walk out now I would and never look back.  But I can't.  The only good thing that came out of this were my children.  They're the only reason I stay home.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top