BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Positives:protect citizen's rights, corroborate officer testimoney, augent officer training, aid in identifing criminals

Negatives:might make officer second guess level of force applied.

I think the positives win

Please explain this.  

If I understand you correctly you think it may make an officer hesitate to use the amount of force necessary to effect the arrest?

Based upon my experience of approx 12 years of using a dash cam (18 as an LEO) I have never once even started to hesitate on the amount of force to apply or not apply based upon the fact I was on video/audio.  

In fact It re-assures me that I will not be questioned on why I used force.

The only negative I can think of is the cost.

you are right.  i dont believe that point i was just posting it to not appear so one sided.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm all for them. They've saved my ass several times when some whiney pukes claims I did something I didnt do.

This.

My "dash" cam video records at two sources and audio records at three. Love it. Infact i am very bothered if i complete a call and discover the damn thing ran out of memory half way through it.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I would really like the kind, iirc AR15fan has as you pull up to the station all the video is downloaded via wifi. No more dealing a memory card that can be full or having to take time to burn the video to dvd's.

Yes mine is digital and wireless. It downloads automatically at the station. However the memory card does get full sometimes if the server crashes. I'm not allowed to possess a spare memory card or the key that unlocked it. Only supervisors can do that.

I still havent mastered all the features of the thing. For example i recently learned that there is a button i can push that will imprint GPS coordinants at a specific point of the recording. For example if someone throws a gun or dope out of their car during a pursuit i can hit that button and it saves the location so we can review the tape and go back to recover the thrown item.

Great system. But we need more training on all the features.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would really like the kind, iirc AR15fan has as you pull up to the station all the video is downloaded via wifi. No more dealing a memory card that can be full or having to take time to burn the video to dvd's.

Yes mine is digital and wireless. It downloads automatically at the station. However the memory card does get full sometimes if the server crashes. I'm not allowed to possess a spare memory card or the key that unlocked it. Only supervisors can do that.

I still havent mastered all the features of the thing. For example i recently learned that there is a button i can push that will imprint GPS coordinants at a specific point of the recording. For example if someone throws a gun or dope out of their car during a pursuit i can hit that button and it saves the location so we can review the tape and go back to recover the thrown item.

That's a pretty awesome feature.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like mine when the piece of shit works.  Damn thing will turn on by itself half the time.  

You don't want to hear me singing to the radio or yelling to myself when someone takes too long to pull over on a traffic stop.
It usually sounds like this "Ah what the F$%& is this guy doing?  Don't you see the F@#$ing flashing lights, asshole?"  I really have to stop talking out loud in the cruiser.

You sound like me.

Hell i narrate to mine all the time while I'm following a suspect drunk. "The blue sedan just blew the stop sigh at walk and dont walk. He travelling approximately 60 miles per hour in a 45 miles per hour zone. He is weaving withen the lane. He's straddling the number one and number two lane. He stopped over the limit line at..."

Juries love that shit.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which system are yall using?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which system are yall using?

I'll look when i go in tonight. I think its made by Eotechs parent company. L3 or something?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I voted for them. Good thing for everyone involved. Nothing wrong with an independent eye witness that remembers  everything as it happened.

I've run my digital camera on the dash in video mode trying to catch the bizarre shit I see coming and going from work. It's not good enough to capture the experience of the neighborhood. I'm tire kicking at the GoPro Hero units. They're damned cheap now.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Not only should dashcams be mandatory, but if one mysteriously "malfunctions" and does not record the stop, all prosecution should be null and void due to lack of evidence.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got no problem with the dashcam.  If you're a criminal it helps save the state the time of a costly trial.  If you're a victim of jack-booted thuggery it makes it easy to collect on that civil suit.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not only should dashcams be mandatory, but if one mysteriously "malfunctions" and does not record the stop, all prosecution should be null and void due to lack of evidence.

So all domestic violence cases should be thrown  out? none of those are on dash cam.

like I said before 95% of what I do does not happen in front of my car.

And cool video that I want to see sometimes disappears. I should not be in trouble because equipment doesn't work right.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So if someone breaks into your house and steals all your guns the burglar should walk because the cop who took the report was out of range for his PVS microphone to record your interview?

The tape is a valuable tool but it should not be mandatory for prosecution.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So all domestic violence cases should be thrown  out? none of those are on dash cam.

And cool video that I want to see sometimes disappears. I should not be in trouble because equipment doesn't work right.

Did I say "The dash cam has to catch the offense"?  I don't remember saying that.
ETA: I confused A_Free_Man's post with my very similar one.  Not that I think it really matters.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Dash cams are awesome. It protects LEOs from lying douchebags and it protects civilians against bad cops. What's not to like?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:31:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then get these .
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if someone breaks into your house and steals all your guns the burglar should walk because the cop who took the report was out of range for his PVS microphone to record your interview?

The problem is not when an issue happens outside of the view of the camera.  The problem is when the system 'malfunctions.'
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Should be mandatory in all police cars at all times

We give a great deal of power to the police, and dash cams keep them accountable.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The cops I work with are not the kind of people that need to be videoed to behave themselves.

The bad cop thing is WAY over stated.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The cops I work with are not the kind of people that need to be videoed to behave themselves.

you don't live in illinois
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they need to change their hiring process.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 4:19:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Dash cam required. If dash cam "malfunctions" or "the tape is lost" all traffic cites on the "lost" tape are void. Might have to expand this depending on how bad the "lost/malf" problem becomes.

Unfortunately, some of us are still using....VHS tape systems.  It pains me to say it.  I've inadvertantly taped over other footage (something that is supposedly impossible to do), and I've seen plenty of tapes just get eaten by the machine when the supervisor pulls them out.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then they need to change their hiring process.

glad you live in a perfect world!
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Y'all can stop houses?

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:24:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Now thats just silly.
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:27:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They should be mandatory.  An officer turning it off during a stop should be punished somehow... reprimand in their file at least.  It should also be made clear that not only can citizens take pictures and video of the police but that doing so is encouraged.  Any officer found intimidating anyone to not take pictures or video of them should be fired.

Now you can of course limit how close people can get to crime scenes...  but you can't tell them to stop filming from the place they can legally be.  Filming someone in a public place is not a violation of privacy and does not violate wiretapping laws.  Naturally bathrooms, changing rooms, and the like are not considered public places.

Systems cost between 5 to 10k.

This is how I do it. Beginning of shift I test the system by activating it, start the recording, state my name, date, time and beat. After a traffic stop, I do not turn it off till I go 10-8, dispatch responds, either I pull off or the stopped vehicle leaves then I hit the stop button.

If the video or my personal audio tape runs out before the stop is completed I notify dispatch to log it.

Do you notify you are audio taping on a stop?

Not normally. Not required in this state. Only one party to the conversation has to know it is being recorded.

If someone starts acting hostile I will inform the conversation is being video and audio recorded as it usually calms the situation down.

I was just wondering if you had to recite some script like, "this stop may be recorded for quality purposes..."

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 6:37:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we start with the canards.

No, the subject is traffic stops.

Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now thats just silly.

Then why are police so anal about being video taped?
Link Posted: 7/5/2010 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now thats just silly.

Then why are police so anal about being video taped?

Not anal at all, I wish I had one.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now thats just silly.

hes trying to protect against video  getting "lost". there should be certain checks and balances for losing such items!
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keeps LEO's straight.

Reveals the truth about lying scumbags too.  What do you suppose the ratio of crooked cops to lying scumbags on the street is?  

This.  Thank you for your logic....a few here lack any.  Shame that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I have been saved by it WAY more than I have been Burned by it in the 10 years or so since my Dept has started installing them in our cars.

J-
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I have been saved by it WAY more than I have been Burned by it in the 10 years or so since my Dept has started installing them in our cars.

J-

im sure its a real comfort for you guys!
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't feel bad, there are still a few agencies in my county that still use VHS.  One agency runs theirs 24 hrs a day, so everything they do is being recorded.  With budgets the way they are, they probably won't be changing them out too soon.  Videos do get lost, do malfunction, and are not the only evidence in a case and the cases are not "thrown" out because a video is lost or malfunctioned.  They do record the audio and video of what is going on, but that still does not mean it will all be used in trial.  You would be surprised how much can be redacted out of audio and video that the jury will not hear.  So, basically, the jury is not aware of everything even though it is being recorded.  

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dash cam required. If dash cam "malfunctions" or "the tape is lost" all traffic cites on the "lost" tape are void. Might have to expand this depending on how bad the "lost/malf" problem becomes.

Unfortunately, some of us are still using....VHS tape systems.  It pains me to say it.  I've inadvertantly taped over other footage (something that is supposedly impossible to do), and I've seen plenty of tapes just get eaten by the machine when the supervisor pulls them out.

Link Posted: 7/6/2010 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Positives:protect citizen's rights, corroborate officer testimoney, augent officer training, aid in identifing criminals

Negatives:might make officer second guess level of force applied.

I think the positives win

Please explain this.  

If I understand you correctly you think it may make an officer hesitate to use the amount of force necessary to effect the arrest?

Based upon my experience of approx 12 years of using a dash cam (18 as an LEO) I have never once even started to hesitate on the amount of force to apply or not apply based upon the fact I was on video/audio.  

In fact It re-assures me that I will not be questioned on why I used force.

The only negative I can think of is the cost.

you are right.  i dont believe that point i was just posting it to not appear so one sided.

I understand.  I called the cost a negative, but they have come down enough in price it's starting to not be an issue.  I also think the people who hold the purse strings are starting to realize the benefits of having video/audio.  Every one of my patrol cars have a video camera installed in it and as I replace the cars I figure the price of a new camera system into the price of the new car.  

Hell I've even set up our offices with video and audio and I am getting ready to purchase personal camera's for every officer.  The camera is very small and will attach to the officers clothing to be turned on when they are performing any police action.

It's not that I don't trust my officers, I want to help protect them and give them the tools necessary to gather evidence for a case.  Video almost always sways a judge or jury.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#36]
how much does a system cost?
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:22:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

My "dash" cam video records at two sources and audio records at three. Love it. Infact i am very bothered if i complete a call and discover the damn thing ran out of memory half way through it.

What is the third point of audio?

Your shirt mic, the one in the car, and ???

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:27:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I love mine, we just got a digital one that records 60 seconds before the lights come on and automatically turns the body mic on when the lights come on.

Thing has saved me way more than it has ever burned me.  The only issue I have is the trend of "if it's not on the tape it didn't happen"

The camera has a pretty narrow field of view, and the mic's reception isn't THAT good at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#39]
i would say 90% of the time they cover the officers ass. 10% the person getting pulled over is the ones ass being covered.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 2:28:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Two in the car.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

they are not cheap, to outfit our 15cars with the latest/greatest about 6 months ago it was just over 100k total.

J-

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We do that now.   Very slick.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Two in the car.

Why?  Having the one on the rear deck works just peachy for us.  Plenty sensitive, and leaving your body mic on makes it even better.

Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 5:39:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

they are not cheap, to outfit our 15cars with the latest/greatest about 6 months ago it was just over 100k total.

J-

thats money in the bank when it comes to court time.
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:17:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i would say 90% of the time they cover the officers ass. 10% the person getting pulled over is the ones ass being covered.

I would say they cover the officer 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%.

hyperbole
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/7/2010 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would say they cover the officer 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%.

hyperbole

Prove your 10% of traffic stops.

in chicago or melrose park illinois?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top