Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy a cookbook?

Hive mind > cookbook

Plus, the Internet is like a million cookbooks in one.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a cookbook?

Hive mind > cookbook

Heh, just being a smart ass.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:37:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Bread and deep fry them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a gas grill, after you have mastered that you can move on to charcoal.

Put your food on then cook 'till done.  

Did you have a personal chef for most of your life?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Slice them in half to make them thinner, and broil them.

Makes very good sandwiches that way. Season them , and add a good bun, a couple slices of bacon  + mayo + ketchup.

Cooking some right now.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wrap them in a pound of bacon. Then wrap the chicken-bacon log and a stick of butter with foil. Bake on 350 for a little over an hour.

........promptly die of a massive coronary.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrap them in a pound of bacon. Then wrap the chicken-bacon log and a stick of butter with foil. Bake on 350 for a little over an hour.

haha, beat me to it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha, beat me to it.

I call it cardiac chicken.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

haha, beat me to it.

I call it cardiac chicken.

But, oh, that last meal was a good 'un........
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'd just like to avoid adding a bunch of butter and breading...

I get a cookie sheet, line it tin foil, spray a bit of cooking spray so the chicken doesn't stick to it. I lay a few chicken breasts down and sprinkle them with garlic all seasoning salt and stick it in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350*.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Brine is great for helping keep them moist, marinades are good too.  Lay down some plastic wrap with a little drizzle of oil and pound them out to a small uniform thickness.  Cook hot and fast making sure you have a quality meat thermometer and cook til 160-165 .
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:34:34 PM EDT
[#12]
brine is just soaking them in salty water?  almost like a marinade?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:36:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:45:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I live by myself and it just seems like a PITA to get the grill out just to make a couple of chicken breasts for dinner
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats one of those controversial questions but to me a marinate is an acid and oil bath used primarily to flavor and tenderize food.  A brine is a salt water solution used primarily to draw moisture and flavor into food.  A brine is best suited for lean meats prone to drying out.  Again, at least to me.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/foodsalts/Morton_Ultimate_Guide_Brining/index.html  Scale appropriately.  For a few chicken breasts I might use a quarter cup of kosher salt, a 1/4 cup of sugar and 4 cups of water. Add whatever other spices you like, stuff like thyme and rosemary is great with chicken.  I'd probably heat 2 cups of water on the stove and add the sugar and salt until dissolved, then add two cups of ice water to top it off.  You don't want to put your chicken into warm brine.   Let it soak over night, rinse, and cook, making sure to not overcook or you've wasted your time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dillo Dust

+1  I put em in the oven frozen solid on a broiler pan at about 300 degres. Flip them over often, the Dillo Dust gets rubbed in about the time they thaw
     (usually after 3 or 4 flips) cook & flip until done , but still tender.
    Everyone in my house really likes it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:51:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Extra virgin olive oil, fresh ground pepper and sea salt.  Works great and lets you put whatever sauce you like on it.  I do them in a cast iron skillet when I cant grill.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody have good step by step (I suck at cooking also), instructions for a stuffed chicken breast?  I'm not picky with what's in it/on it, but I do like cheese.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm going to offer this one more time.

It's the simplest and best way to cook chicken, especially for a novice.

Take whole breasts with skin, or better a whole damn chicken.

Put the whole bird in a large pot of water.

Throw some salt and pepper in it.

Turn on the fire and cook until water starts to boil.

Turn off flame and let chicken stay in pot until cool.

Take out chicken but be careful, it will fall off the bone.

You can make soup with the remaining liquid just by skimming off fat , add carrots, celery and onions, and simmer for an hour or until veggies are tender.

Right at end, throw in some egg noodles.

I lived off this in colege.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#21]
try adding grill mates spicy steak seasoning.  seriously.  or minus the spicy

i just cut it up into pieces so it cooks faster and  cook it on the stove in a pan.  more surface area to add more seasoning = tastier
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
marinade in italian dressing for awhile, and then put them on a grill.

I like Kraft Tuscan House Italian as a marinade for chicken.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:23:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Kung Poa

Prep:
Start your rice.
Mince some fresh garlic and ginger. Or slice very fine. About a Tablespoon each.
Cut up two green or one green and one red bell pepper into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces.
Mix up about a Tablespoon each of Chinese rice wine or vermouth or water with about a Tablespoon of corn starch in a medium sized bowl.
Cut up a couple of chicken breasts into 1/2 to 3/4 in pieces and put in the bowl with the corn starch mixture. Toss to cover.
Prepare a sauce with a few tablespoons of soy sauce and a couple of red wine vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar. (If you have Chinese black vinegar, use that instead.)

Cooking:
Heat a couple Tablespoons of peanut (or other vegetable oil) in your fry pan or wok on medium.
Add a teaspoon of salt and a handful (8-12) of small dried red peppers. (Or a couple Tablespoons of crushed red pepper.) Stir fry for 30-60 seconds.
Add the garlic and ginger. Stir fry very briefly, until you can smell it.
Add the bell peppers. Turn the heat up. Stir fry a couple of minutes. You want to be frequently, almost constantly tossing and turning it with your spatula.
Add the chicken. Stir fry for a couple of minutes until the chicken is looking done. I find I can cut a chunk of chicken with a dull plastic spatula when it's done and see no pink.
Drop the heat some and stir in the sauce. Stir and toss until it starts looking nice and shiny.
Turn off the heat. Now drizzle with about a Tablespoon of sesame oil. This really gives it some great flavor. You probably can't find Szechuan pepper, but it would be great to sprinkle it with some ground Szecuan pepper if you can. Top with some peanuts and serve with your rice.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I live by myself and it just seems like a PITA to get the grill out just to make a couple of chicken breasts for dinner

We cook a whole bunch of them and eat them over several days.  

I cook for myself and I usually grill 4 breasts at once. 2 with the seasoning I want for that night and 2 plain so that I can cut them up for tacos, stir fry, or something else that needs chicken in it.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I marinate then broil in the oven for 10 minutes on each side. I eat a lot of chicken breasts.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Chicken Adobo!
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Chicken breasts in red wine sauce:

Heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil with minced arlic.  Chop 2 large onions fine and sautee for ~5 minutes.  Sprinkle your chicken breasts with salt and pepper, dredge on both sides with flour, and brown for ~7 minutes.  Add chopped bacon or panchetta when you add the chicken.  When the chicken is browned on the outside and the onions are getting pretty done, transfer them to a relatively deep oven-safe dish, and cover with a not too-terrible red wine. Season with  basil, oregano and a lot of parsley.  You can de-glaze the pan if you want .  Cover and bake for ~1 hr at 350 degrees.  Serve with pasta and plenty of cheese.  This meal is even better on the second day.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hickory BBQ.  [/ thread]

//thread

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Season with whatever, wrap in foil, bake at 400* for 25 minutes. I buy 3lb packages and cook em all at once. Or, don't season them at all, leave it to the meal to decide the flavor and add later (if you're making asian, mexican, italian, etc.) The foil retains the moisture without adding unnecessary sodium (brine) or calories (marinades, sauces, etc).
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#30]
If I can grill outside at noon, so can you
Its not to bad if you keep ice water nearby

ETA: What part of Texas? Maybe the grocery stores around you just have bad chicken
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Splenda.

Sounds crazy, but tastes like sweet and sour chicken.  Chop up a chicken breast, throw it in a skillet, and just keep sprinkling Splenda on it.  Eventually it will melt and turn a dark brown, then its ready.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Dillo dust>bake>enjoy
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:13:28 PM EDT
[#33]
slice into strips and then marinade in franks red hot sauce for a little while. (10 min is fine)

then pour that into a baking pan, and bake at 375 till the chicken is done
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#35]
This thread sounds delicious, saving this stuff
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I just bake them at 410 degrees for about 22-25 minutes(depends on how think they are).  I normally use some Tony Chachere's or Morton Hot Salt, along with some garlic powder.  

However, if I'm using my George Foreman grill, I'll normally buy the chicken tenderlions.  Only takes a few minutes to cook them, and they are great on salads etc.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Soak in soy sauce for twenty minutes, then place on grill for seven minutes, flip over, then grill the other side for seven minutes...
(My first arfcom post from new Droid X!)

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:38:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I cut them up into smaller chunks (about an inch square) and simmer them in low-sodium chicken broth...  then, I add half a package of low-fat cream cheese and a can of low sodium cream of mushroom soup, and then let that simmer until the sauce is creamy...  serve that over pasta.  YUM.

I am so trying that this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:39:34 PM EDT
[#39]
man i am on a diet and i eat chicken breast for dinner like 3 times a week, and really you cant beat it for lean protein. Remember any breading, frying, dredging, butter sauce, cream sauce, cheese sauce, alfredo sauce, carbonara sauce or picata sauce (my fav) is going to undo the good you are doing, unfortunately.

usually i grill, popular marinades include :
soy sauce
bbq sauce cut with a little vinegar
balsalmic vinaigrette
ginger vinaigrette
mustard with worcestershire

plus salt and pepper of course.

Avoid seasoning mixes, as most of them are loaded with bullshit.

You can also sear or grill the chicken partially, and then finish in the oven covered with marinara sauce, which is of course fairly healty as far as sauce goes. Eat this with home made potato gnocchi to unlock god mode.

Another good one is to cut your chicken into chunks and saute up some peppers and onions with cumin, white pepper, salt, and cholula. small corn tortillas are much healthier than flour tortillas. i do these 500 calorie fajitas all the time (and that is complete with home made guacamole and home made "refried" beans)
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Bourbon glaze and served over rice... actually that's probably not the healthiest way.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Leftovers become lunches or dinners for the next few days.  If you get sick of it, freeze the cooked chicken and you can just thaw it out in a few weeks and have a grilled chicken dinner on the table in 10 minutes.  I cook a lot of meat on the weekends and freeze it since I often don't get home from work until dinnertime, and it's not like the hubby is going to cook.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Fried, soaked in olive oil with lemon and seasoning.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

put the breasts in a brine overnight

what's brine?

Sea Monkeys

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I'm going to offer this one more time.

It's the simplest and best way to cook chicken, especially for a novice.

Take whole breasts with skin, or better a whole damn chicken.

Put the whole bird in a large pot of water.

Throw some salt and pepper in it.

Turn on the fire and cook until water starts to boil.

Turn off flame and let chicken stay in pot until cool.

Take out chicken but be careful, it will fall off the bone.

You can make soup with the remaining liquid just by skimming off fat , add carrots, celery and onions, and simmer for an hour or until veggies are tender.

Right at end, throw in some egg noodles.

I lived off this in colege.

This is delicious. Mom used to do that from time to time.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#45]
I made this Sunday, very easy.  It's one of those smash-the-breast + pan sauce recipes like that MS paint Chicken Piccatta recipe posted earlier.  Cook it in the oil for 2.5-2 minutes each side, not how they say in the recipe.  Substitute trimmed bacon for the pancetta, substitute pitted kalamata olives for the nicoise olives (only because those ingredients are hard to find).  Pretty good, but the sauce is watery.  Use a slotted spoon to get all the good stuff  out to spread on the meat.
http://www.latimes.com/features/la-fo-chickenrec9aapr09,0,6349058.story

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:29:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes and no. Marinade is an acid bath, usually with extra oils plus salt. It does not really make the chicken more moist, it just cuts down on surface water loss.

Brine actually moves the flavored water into the chicken because of the salt water trying to get into the meat. Makes it moister and flavorful. With good brine control, you get the same salt as the marinade, moister, better flavor, without all the extra oils and calories.

For a breast brine at the most one hour or you will over salt.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife coats them in olive oil and Lipton Garlic & Herb soup mix. They're pretty good that way
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#48]
buttermilk and green onion brine overnight seasoned to your liking then toss them on the smoker for a few hours.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#49]
I like to take 2 or 3 breasts and throw them in a casserole dish with a little olive oil and some fresh salsa ingredients. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, maybe some garlic. Cover with tinfoil and bake for an hour or so at 400. Just watch it close. When the chicken gets really tender, pull it out and shred it. If you want, you can add some salsa, hot sauce or whatever and throw it back in for a few minutes. There's no real rules. I like to play it fast and loose with my cooking. I use this stuff with some cheese and tortilla chips. Rice would probably work too.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Boneless, skinless breasts, ziplock bag, Italian Dressing, fridge.

Marinade for 24-48 hours, then grill to 160* internal temp.
Page / 3
Top Top