[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
 In before the "A handgun is better" post

yea im looking more at point and shoot.

You do realize that you will have to aim a shotgun just as much as any other gun, right?

Well, technically, you don't aim a shotgun, you point it.

But you are right.  At typical home engagement distances, 00 buck is not going to have a large spread.  Aiming/pointing is necessary.

isnt 00 buck a little big for HD? wouldn't ya still have an over penetration problem?

Not if you aim and the 00 penetrates the bad guy first

ANY ANY PROJECTILE that will stop a bad guy will penetrate walls PERIOD
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:41:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do realize that you will have to aim a shotgun just as much as any other gun, right?

But you are right.  At typical home engagement distances, 00 buck is not going to have a large spread.  Aiming/pointing is necessary.

isnt 00 buck a little big for HD? wouldn't ya still have an over penetration problem?

Not if you aim and the 00 penetrates the bad guy first

ANY ANY PROJECTILE that will stop a bad guy will penetrate walls PERIOD

Correct.  Drywall is pretty flimsy stuff and if you expect a projectile to drive through flesh and bone you should expect it to go right through drywall.

Hell, didn't the Box O' Truth show a .22LR going through 6 or 7 sheets of drywall?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Between this comment and the "point and shoot" comment, I call TROLL.

And posted in GD as well? Yup.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:15:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:22:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
rem 870

rather not have a pump

FN SLP
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#9]
AR15 Carbine
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shotguns are not point and shoot.
You have to aim - go to the range and pattern your shotgun.
Please don't risk your life or your family's life on gun store BS.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Why a shotgun over an AR?

over penetration? cant miss with a shotgun? being startled,middle of the nite ,adrenaline pumping ,wife freaking type scenario?

Any load that will stop a bad guy carries the risk of over penetration.
You can miss with a shotgun, and I guarantee that if you have the attitude that you can't, that you will.
Shotguns have piss-poor ergonomics, clumsy reloads, heavy ammo, and you want to depend on one for a "startled adrenaline pumping" scenario?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope, just point it in the direction of bad guy.{small house]

You have no training beyond plinking at tin cans, do you?
Have you even patterned your shotgun at the distances you expect to use it?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

00 Buck is the only shotgun load you should be using for home defense.
Anything else will not reliably stop a bad guy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
home.mchsi.com/~the_reaper/SuperMag_M.jpg

home.mchsi.com/~the_reaper/SuperMag_I.jpg

You haven't tried to shoot that think yet, have you?
I can tell, because you still have the pistol grip on it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I wondered how long it would take you to get in here.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:33:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was at my FFL.
Something arrived in a blue cardboard box.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

over penetration? cant miss with a shotgun? being startled,middle of the nite ,adrenaline pumping ,wife freaking type scenario?

Or the fact that an AR costs about $900 vs a $300 for a 870. Like a previous poster mentioned, anything you use in a HD event WILL be confiscated as evidence.

You won't get it back for a while & maybe not ever if it's a really nice gun. Better to risk being out $230 for the shotgun than a $1,200 customized AR.

Besides, the AR is more of a Katrina gun.

Remember folks,

Why defend your children, yourself and your wife with a reliable weapon that holds more ammo and is easier to navigate inside of a house when the cops are going to take it from you after?!!

Efficiency! Your families life isn't worth 900$!

Posts like yours are probably some of the most retarded shit ever written.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:35:16 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was at my FFL.
Something arrived in a blue cardboard box.

A shotgun?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:36:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh and...
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#21]
It would appear from your post that you are British.

May I suggest a Purdey 12 bore double loaded with 1 1/4oz
number eight. Low brass, of course.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:37:20 AM EDT
[#22]
This thread has it all.  Use the cheapest possible gun, don't have to aim with a shotgun, 00 buck will penetrate too much...it's like all the stupid home defense myths rolled into one thread.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:37:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope, just point it in the direction of bad guy.{small house]

You have no training beyond plinking at tin cans, do you?
Have you even patterned your shotgun at the distances you expect to use it?

nope,no training with a shotgun,but i will,part of the reason i love this site is the world of info you guy,s have, that have more experince than i do. hey im still learning! i dont know everything,and hanging around here just proves to me how little i know.thanks for the help,i think im gonna look into the mossberg 930 SPX. P.S. IM NO TROLL JUST A 52 YEAROLD ROOKIE
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:40:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the most part that is true.  But not always for everyone.  I used to grouse hunt quite a bit, that means hitting them in flight in fairly thick second growth.  Opportunities for clear shots go away fast in that scenario.  In almost every case I can think of, I never saw the bead of that shotgun, my eyes were focused on the bird the rest of it becomes automatic.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Saiga 12 > Mossy Swedish pumps
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#26]

My 590 is ready to go at all times. 8+1 in the gun and five in the cuff. Our nearest neighbor is 300 yards away. No worries of over penetration. Just the girlfriend and I feeling safe and secure.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For the most part that is true.  But not always for everyone.  I used to grouse hunt quite a bit, that means hitting them in flight in fairly thick second growth.  Opportunities for clear shots go away fast in that scenario.  In almost every case I can think of, I never saw the bead of that shotgun, my eyes were focused on the bird the rest of it becomes automatic.

Valid point.
However, on a hunt, a missed shot means a missed bird.
In a self-defense situation, a missed shot means something more permanant.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#28]
You really want a light handy carbine I suggest 9mm as it is the cheapest to feed and train

baretta cx-4
m1 carbine
sks (not quite a carbine)

Marlin camp-9

ect
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
You really want a light handy carbine I suggest 9mm as it is the cheapest to feed and train

baretta cx-4
m1 carbine

Marlin camp-9

ect

Is 9 mm cheaper than .30 carbine nowdays?  It certainly wasn't when I had one years back.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Remember folks,

Why defend your children, yourself and your wife with a reliable weapon that holds more ammo and is easier to navigate inside of a house when the cops are going to take it from you after?!!

Efficiency! Your families life isn't worth 900$!

Posts like yours are probably some of the most retarded shit ever written.

Not really. Some folks need to be cost conscious. You may not, I may not, but some do. Different stokes, as they say.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#31]
What about the Mossberg 930 Home Defense?  Semi-auto 12 gauge goodness and you can extend the capacity by 2?  I believe?
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

baretta cx-4
m1 carbine

Marlin camp-9

ect

Is 9 mm cheaper than .30 carbine nowdays?  It certainly wasn't when I had one years back.

Don't know haven't shopped for .30 Carbine
But 9mm can be found anywhere in the world and will always be cheaper than .45 or other  pistol ammo
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:10:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
It would appear from your post that you are British.

May I suggest a Purdey 12 bore double loaded with 1 1/4oz
number eight. Low brass, of course.

Many will overlook this post. Nothing like a Purdey. My father got fitted for one back in his residency a hundred years ago. I want one.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:19:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Unless something horrible happened to it, a 20YO shotgun should not be unfit to shoot.

If you like an autoloader, there are lots of good ones available.  Personally, I prefer the double gun.  Silent (no racking the slide), intimidating if viewed from the business end and plenty of firepower for your typical burglary scenario.

I prefer #0, #1 or #3 buckmanshot over #00.

Like this:

Or this:

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Much. .30 Carbine is difficult to find and quite expensive anymore.

-Mark
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:33:55 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
a425.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/92/l_fbd7b86f1646737ca2a7abf10eb259d0.jpg
a639.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/125/l_0d134ba28c1a5189a7fa230c88a54c0e.jpg

My 590 is ready to go at all times. 8+1 in the gun and five in the cuff. Our nearest neighbor is 300 yards away. No worries of over penetration. Just the girlfriend and I feeling safe and secure.

What shells are you using there dark? Has anybody ever tried these "LEO" shells from Centurion?

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:38:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 9:57:24 AM EDT
[#38]
How about a real Winchester 1897 pump?  After 100 years they still run.

In that vein, a 18"-20" side-by-side with nylon ammo carrier on the stock should do nicely.  Can stay loaded indefinitely too.  Would need to supplement with a handgun for backup though.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#39]
SAIGA 12 FTW!
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much. .30 Carbine is difficult to find and quite expensive anymore.

-Mark

I wouldn't necessarily say difficult to find, but yes in comparable (Wolf/Wolf or Federal/Federal) ammo .30 Carbine costs roughly half again what 9mm costs in bulk, and there is a much wider variety of loadings available in 9mm.

Thanks for the info- getting another M1 carbine soon.  It used to be the exact opposite.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:21:18 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  That thing on top is a sight.  You don't point a sight, you aim it.  You have to aim a shotgun.  Anything less is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What?  That thing on top is a sight.  You don't point a sight, you aim it.  You have to aim a shotgun.  Anything less is ridiculous.

If you aim while wing shooting you will miss frequently and badly.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen too many 6 foot birds that needed shooting inside of a house since that's what the OP wants the shotgun for.  Tell you what I'll change "ridiculous" to "dangerous" and "libelous" and specify that this only applies when you are trying to stay alive and does not apply when shooting little orange disks or stupid little birds.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#44]
tromix modified saiga 12 shotgun. most reliable auto shotgun made. fastest cycling, too! leaves the bellini gasping in it's dust...

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:43:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Benelli M4 anything else is just settling for second best.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beads are sights now?

If you have rifle sights and are using slugs, you are aiming.  If you have beads and are firing bird or buck, you are pointing.  And notice I said "technically."  Just like "technically" you slap the trigger on a shotgun, instead of squeezing it (again, assuming you are not using slugs).
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:55:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen too many 6 foot birds that needed shooting inside of a house since that's what the OP wants the shotgun for.  Tell you what I'll change "ridiculous" to "dangerous" and "libelous" and specify that this only applies when you are trying to stay alive and does not apply when shooting little orange disks or stupid little birds.

You don't get what either of us is saying.  And you missed "technically."  I wasn't saying you don't shoulder the weapon and look down the barrel.

"Libelous" means "defamatory," btw.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 10:59:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh man haven't read the whole thread but I know now why this is 4 pages so far lol. I am sure these myths have been addressed 30 times already so I won't bother
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't get what either of us is saying.  And you missed "technically."  I wasn't saying you don't shoulder the weapon and look down the barrel.

"Libelous" means "defamatory," btw.

Lets cut the bullshit, this thread is not about shooting birds or clays but people unless you live in an area where birds/clays rob rape and pillage
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top