BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:40:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Generally speaking the houses are cheaper than in Calif. Prices depending of course on location of course.

good stuff 'bout Texas.

1. No state income tax
2. People are proud of their state
3. State legislature meets only once every two years!
4. Pro gun state.
5. Vast.
6. Republican dominated.
7. Pickup trucks
8. Austin

Maybe not so good stuff.

1. Hot!
2. Cold! in the northen part.
3. Mosquitos and cockroaches are huge.
4. Not much public lands, most of Texas land is privatly owned.
5. No Rocky Mountains.

You left out

***1. BEST TOPLESS BARS IN THE COUNTRY!!! YEAH!

Edited to add, check out the following for tax/appraisal info

Collin County (Plano): www.collincad.org/
Dallas County: www.dallascad.org/
Tarrant County (FW): www.tad.org/

P.S. Fun to look up appraised value of homes for people like Ross Perot, Mark Cuban, etc.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I moved to Texas in 1986 and have never really thought about leaving. I'm in Dallas and buying a house in the city center can be pretty expensive with property taxes that are through the roof...but it's the price you pay to live so close to everything. I just bought a deccent sized house in Lakewood right off Whiterock lake for $205K...that same house would cost over a million in California. In fact, you can buy a two acre wooded lot on a creek in Rockwall (just east of Dallas) for $40K. I'll admit the Hill Country is prettier, but property is much more expensive and traffic sucks around Austin.

My advice, buy a small house in the city where wages are good and jobs plentiful, then buy a lake house or weekend retreat out in the country.

Other nice thing...there's a gun show at least once a month!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I moved to Texas in 1986 and have never really thought about leaving. I'm in Dallas and buying a house in the city center can be pretty expensive with property taxes that are through the roof...but it's the price you pay to live so close to everything. I just bought a deccent sized house in Lakewood right off Whiterock lake for $205K...that same house would cost over a million in California. In fact, you can buy a two acre wooded lot on a creek in Rockwall (just east of Dallas) for $40K. I'll admit the Hill Country is prettier, but property is much more expensive and traffic sucks around Austin.

My advice, buy a small house in the city where wages are good and jobs plentiful, then buy a lake house or weekend retreat out in the country.

Other nice thing...there's a gun show at least once a month!

No shit, you're in Lakewood? I grew up in and around Lakewood, Little Forest Hills, etc. Currently living in Deep Ellum.

Lakewood/Whiterock Lake area is the only place to live, if you're gonna be in Dallas proper IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Texas:

1. Saltwater fishing is great Texans dont even know what am real beach or salt water looks like

2. Deer hunting is some of the best (in terms of rack, small bodies) in the country. You mean the bait and trap kind

3.  Terrain varies from rugged hills to desert to rolling plains to coastal flats to pine woods. the desert shrubs and wanna be hills?

4.  Women, Hot Women, Hot medically-enhanced women, who like to fuck. like the rest of America, please try to catch up.

5. Must issue state for conceal handgun license, if you meet the requirements (basically not a    felon) the must issue your CHL. like the rest of America, please try to catch up.

6. It is further from Texarkana to El PAso than it is from El Paso to Los Angeles.  Big Place

7.  Real Estate is relatively cheap--I live on a bayfont canal and am by no means rich. swamp land is cheap everywhere

8. Cost of living is low outside major cities. like the rest of America, please try to catch up.

9. Titty bars are evrywhere, if you're into that like the rest of America, please try to catch up.

10. They sell beer in stop-n-go's like the rest of America, please try to catch up.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Where you from 76'?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas > *

Austin > *

Austin is full of hot college women and has a night life that compares to no other city in the nation. I love it.

Doc
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where you from 76'?

TEXAS. I like to keep my fellow Texans in touch with reality. Far to often they lose touch with it.
Having pride is one thing but some of these guys are pathetic in their absurd statements about how Texas is the best place on the planet bar none.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Texas will be a part of Altazan in 50 years or less. Being overrun with illegals
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to live there.
Not bad for such a small state.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The people are mostly nice and straightforward. Outside the cities they are independent and tough and mostly working poor (but happy). I have a friend from NJ who commented to me how nice everyone in TX seemed to be. I told him I always thought it was so we didn't kill each other

1776 is right though: you pay your own way for land. TX .gov has no hand in spreading the wealth.

Not sure what to think about no open carry laws. I imagine most rural Texans would see a stranger with a visible weapon as a challenge. People in the big cities here are just about as nutty as everywhere else and would panic.

It's a deceitful country -- hard, mean -- with floods and droughts and tornadoes. But look at it, God almighty, It's so beautiful
-
An anonymous old Texas rancher, when asked what he thought of Texas

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where you from 76'?

TEXAS. I like to keep my fellow Texans in touch with reality. Far to often they lose touch with it.
Having pride is one thing but some of these guys are pathetic in their absurd statements about how Texas is the best place on the planet bar none.

Survey Says:

TEXAS!

Nuff Said.....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Wherever you decide, make sure to check local crime stats...

I wouldn't recommend Dallas to anyone until they get their shit together.

Fort Worth area is highly recommended  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top