Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Let your friend enjoy his purchase.  Go shooting with him, teach him the basics. see if the gun has any problems and if so, help him get it worked out.
That is what a shooting buddy does, not crap all over a guy for his "poor" choice in firearms.

This.

If you really want him to get a better gun, let him learn from getting some range time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:34:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Those things are a pain in the ass to field strip.  He could have done alot worse for a first gun.  They aren't horrible guns, just ugly as fuck.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has a HiPoint 45 acp-old one.  It feels like you have a brick in your hand and heavy recoil spring.  But, the damned thing never jams.

same here.  WOuldn't buy one, but they'd work great as a club if needed. Fuckin huge.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
That's better than my friend who wants to sell his delton AR15 for 1000.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Lifetime warranty, that's at least good for a chuckle....
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#6]
HiPoints are like fat chicks...

They are fun to play around with until your friends see you with one...
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The HiPoint hate is strong in here.  I would surmise most of the hate comes from people with only second hand knowledge.

In my time behind the counter, I sold more HiPoints than anything else.  Yes, they are ugly.  They are clunky.  They are bulky.  You wont win
the gun snob beauty contest with one, that is for sure.  

With that said, for someone who doesn't have much $$$, the HiPoints generally work just fine with quality ammo.  If they don't, customer service from
HiPoint is second to none.  

Let your friend enjoy his purchase.  Go shooting with him, teach him the basics. see if the gun has any problems and if so, help him get it worked out.
That is what a shooting buddy does, not crap all over a guy for his "poor" choice in firearms.

DING DING DING!    Couldn't have said it better.    
Have to start somewhere.  If he just likes to shoot, ittl do.  if he really likes to shoot guns.....  he will buy a nicer gun.   Now get to work on making him a gun nut.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I took some newbs out to the range once to help them out.  They brought a Lorcin .25 and a 9mm Highpoint.  The Highpoint at least functioned properly.  The Lorcin failed to feed every round.  I let them shoot my SIG and they realized what a piece of crap a Highpoint is.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:47:00 AM EDT
[#9]
It is better than no gun.  The only High Point I've ever fired was a 40 cal.  It was dead reliable and accurate as all get out.  The cons were as follows.  It beat the shit out of my hand.  Recoil felt like a frigging magnum cartridge.  Weighs about 5 fucking pounds.

It did do what it was supposed to though.  It shot reliably and accurately.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi Point = What a Glock wishes it could be.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:57:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

For $140 he could have picked up a FEG PA-63, a gun that, despite it's rough finish, is made well and actually works.

I see people with HiPoints at the range, many seem to have feed issues. And the quality and strength of their parts would seriously concern me if I intended to shoot more than a couple of hundred rounds through it.
/thread hijack

PA-63 FTW! $10 worth of springs, and it's one of my favorite little pistols.

/end thread hijack
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The HiPoint hate is strong in here.  I would surmise most of the hate comes from people with only second hand knowledge.

In my time behind the counter, I sold more HiPoints than anything else.  Yes, they are ugly.  They are clunky.  They are bulky.  You wont win
the gun snob beauty contest with one, that is for sure.  

With that said, for someone who doesn't have much $$$, the HiPoints generally work just fine with quality ammo.  If they don't, customer service from
HiPoint is second to none.  

DING DING DING!    Couldn't have said it better.    
Have to start somewhere.  If he just likes to shoot, ittl do.  if he really likes to shoot guns.....  he will buy a nicer gun.   Now get to work on making him a gun nut.

Can't agree more.  If it takes buying a HP, Taurus Judge, or anything else to get someone into shooting and eventually protecting 2nd Amendment rights, I am all for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't get your panties in a wad if your buddy didn't consult you.

If he wanted your opinion he would have asked. Some people insist on learning everything the hard way.

Good advise right here.  Just try to help him with his next purchase.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#14]
"You just bought a turd and you're going to die because of it"
Yeah, I can't imagine why he didn't ask for your help.

Hi-Point isn't the problem, .380 is the problem.

I had a HiPoint for years & it's not a Lorcin/Davis/etc. They are a decent company that makes a decent product. The things are huge, clunky, have terrible triggers, and are horribly top-heavy, but I never saw these FTF or FTE issues that people are talking about.

How many have you owned?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I think Hi-Points are better then the Smith & Weson Sigma, that count

My buddy just bought one of those. After completely ignoring all the conversations we've have had regarding his first handgun purchase, he just ran out and bought the cheapest gun he could find. He's kinda jewey. Is that a word??  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#16]
SOT7 friend of mine supplies local SWAT, and i was there one day when an officer walked in to pick up a personal FNAR.

Got to talking, and in the department's big box of "throw away" guns and confiscated weapons, almost half of them were HiPoint .380's

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Buddy has a HiPoint in a manly caliber .45 and it goes bang every time. I'd bet my life on it.

If it is ugly but it works, think AK, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buddy has a HiPoint in a manly caliber .45 and it goes bang every time. I'd bet my life on it.

It'll work fine, until one day, it won't anymore...

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#21]
if HP firearms were that bad they would have went out of business by now
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hi Point = What a Glock wishes it could be.

by that i'm assuming you mean something that doesn't explode.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 9:58:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Those things are a pain in the ass to field strip.  He could have done alot worse for a first gun.  They aren't horrible guns, just ugly as fuck.

Field stripping is only recommended every 2000 rounds or so, otherwise you just lock the slide back and spray it down with rem-oil and wipe it clean.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#24]
For my first handgun: I saved up for a Glock 19 and haven't looked back.  For only about $100-$200 more than he paid (at most), he could have bought a nice Makarov, PA-63, Bersa, etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/tye_g_wolfe/Hi%20Point/HiPoint01.jpg

meh, send it back. Beretta slides break too, and your point is?

I would use the one HiPoint I have fired as a HD pistol and not feel defenseless. You get a whole lot of gun if you buy a .45 HiPoint for a buckfifty.

Would I run out and buy one? No I can afford better. If price were that big a deal though a HiPoint in a proper caliber would be on the list.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
if HP firearms were that bad they would have went out of business by now

no thanks to the teenage thug gang bangers they do considerably well. and i love when i got to gun shows and the only people i see walking out with them is people with a darker pigmentation than i, if you know what i mean. it makes me laugh
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:12:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Some of the gun proverbs blurted out as some kind of shining truth make me question the hive's intelligence.  One of them is "Any gun is better than no gun".  Really?  So instead of running like hell, you stand your ground with a gun that may or may not work, and may not get the job done even if it does work?  Fuck that, many people saved their lives by running like a raped ape, many died by standing their ground with a crap gun that doesn't work or with a good gun but lacking in the skills to use it effectively.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:15:05 AM EDT
[#28]
nevermind.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:15:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Pretty sure he bought the worlds largest .380 handgun. LOL!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:16:28 AM EDT
[#30]
See my avatar.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

If they don't, customer service from HiPoint is second to none.  

Excellent, maybe your surviving relatives can get it replaced when it fails to function.  I'm sure you and other HiPoint owners will bleed to death happily knowing the gun that failed to save your life will be covered under warranty.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I broke a Hi-point 9mm by beating the living hell out of it for 3 hours.....up to that point it shot everytime and worked.  they are cheap guns that go bang 99% of the time, just like any other firearm.  it will last him several years until he buys a gun for defense.  tell him to enjoy it...and he will for life.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#33]
I had a horrible experience with a hi point 9mm carbine. Haven't owned one since

serveral of my budget minded friends have them and have brought them to the house to shoot

1 is a 9mm that stovepipes every 3rd mag or so

1 is a .45 acp that AFAIK has never failed to go bang and he shoots well with it

I really don't worry about what my friends buy unless they ask me to worry about it
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#34]
It beats a pointy stick.  And since it's a Hi Point, he can beat the shit out of attackers with it if he runs out of ammo.

Now, tell him to start saving his pennies and get himself something better.  If he's on a budget, he can get a nice Ruger wheel gun for around $450 if he shops around.  He can also get a police trade in 3rd gen S&W auto for around $350.  Or, if he doesn't mind the funky ammo, $250 or so will buy a CZ-82 (9x18 Mak).

I owned a Hi Point 45 ACP once.  The direct blowback action necessitates a very heavy slide and the recoil is abusive.  With that said, it never had issues with feeding.  It's pretty good for $150 gun and if you're poor and it's literally all you can afford, then by all means get one.  But if there's anyway you can step up to a Ruger or used S&W 3rd gen, you should.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I have issues with him buying a .380.  I don't really have much hate for High Point, though.  Poor people should be able to defend themselves as much as everyone else.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
ugly heavy and clunky but they do generally go bang. WHEN<not if> they wear out HP will replace it for free.

if your on a serious budget you can do worse for 150.00

Pretty much.

I would never trust one if I didn't have to....but poor people should be able to arm themselves too as best as they are able.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:07:07 AM EDT
[#37]
He didnt spend a lot of money....he didnt get a lot of gun...

Lots better than paying 400 for a sigma IMO
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

sigmas are now 299 where im at.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Take your friend to the range with your [Insert name of quality reliable pistol you own here] and enjoy some shooting.  if his gun jams a lot and your doesnt, then help him to get his first glock and repent of all that hipoint nonsense.  if it runs fine, enjoy your day shooting.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv21/tye_g_wolfe/Hi%20Point/HiPoint01.jpg

A litle JB weld and that'll be good as new.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You would surmise correctly. American Handgunner had a .380 shootout a few months back and the Hi-point (IIRC) came in second in front of 5 or 6 "Name Brands" that cost up to 5 times as much.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Normally, I'd say Something>Nothing.

But in this case, it's more of a Something>Hi-point>Nothing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I've bought worse back when I was young and ignorant.  Its part of the learning curve.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they don't, customer service from HiPoint is second to none.

Excellent, maybe your surviving relatives can get it replaced when it fails to function. I'm sure you and other HiPoint owners will bleed to death happily knowing the gun that failed to save your life will be covered under warranty.

Same thing could happen with a $4000 race gun.

I had just as many (insert brand here) come back as I did Hi-Points.  

Would I tell a guy who is going to compete in 3-gun to go with a Hi-Point?  No.  But for somebody that is only going to shoot occasionally the HiPoint will serve them just fine.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#45]
2 hp's in the family, a .40 and a .45
neither has had a failure as long as they have had them, and its been 6 or 7 years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't think your friend needs to consult you regarding any decisions he plans to make.  They're his decisions.  Not yours.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

sigmas are now 299 where im at.

Plus a $50 rebate.  Would have been a better choice, but oh well.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I probably sold 50-60 of them while working at a gun show.  Never had a complaint from a customer, only people who "shot a friends".

Out of those, 10-15 showed up at the range, and I watched all the guns shoot reliably and accurately.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#49]
I buy guns on occasion...and don't ask anybody for advice.

Only Hi-Point I own is a 995 carbine. Got it in some bizarre trade deal. Works great. I know guys with Hi-Point pistols..and no complaints from them...even heard complimentery reveiws from owners. I would agree that most Hi-Point gripes come from non-owners.

They really ain't my style of firearm...but it don't bother me one damn bit if somebody else wants to own a Hi-Point handgun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#50]
I JUST went through this last week.  A friend of mine spent $550 on a Sigma

The worst part of this was that one of our other friends, who is a huge gun-guy in his own right happened to be in the store at the same time and was equally impressed by the amazing deal that was being offered on the space-age polymer sigma.  

My buddy who was in the shop(not the buyer) texted me after the transaction was complete.  It went like this.

Buddy: "K bought a gun finally!" "I bumped into him at the gun store this a.m."

Me: "No shit!  What he get?"

Buddy: sends a pic msg.  unmistakeable crude outline of a two-tone SV9E appears on my phone. (which made me immediately burn my phone and clothes, and shower in paint remover).

Me: "Why the fuck did you let him buy a smegma?  Son I am dissapoint."

Buddy:  "LOL, whats that? "

Me: "A Sigma.  Thats a Sigma, you don't know what that is? "

Buddy:  "I thought it was a Smith and Wesson.   Thats what the box said."

Me:  "Yeah, its a S&W Sigma, nevermind.  Tell me he at least got a good deal on it....."

Buddy: "$550 and he even got a two extra magazines free for a total of three, a used shoulder holster, and a trigger lock!"

Me: "WTF man, he could have gotten an M&P for less than that!"

Buddy: "whats that?"

Me: "A S&W"

Buddy:  "yeah thats what he got!  A S&W!

Me:  "You should have just told K to spend $150 on a Hi Point and then punched him in the dick, at least he wouldn't have been screwed so bad."

Buddy: 'Who makes high point?"

Me:

So folks, thats $550 for a Sigma 9mm with a used shoulder rig from the "$5 used junk holster" bin with some free armpit sweat from the previous owner, 3 mags that it already comes with and a bike lock.  And nobody stopped him!  In fact, I have no idea how he managed to pay so damn much for the thing!  This dealer is very reasonable.  I had just bought an FN FNP-45 brand new for $350 there a few months back, and another friend got an LCP there for $250 OTD.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top