Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Amtrack ticket puncher $100,000+ salary.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy and sell stuff in the EE. Make a few thousand a week... at least that's what I tell my wife "Oh, this is an investment. I'll double my money when I eventually sell it."

(Edit: Truth be told, I don't make much money and I've become obsessed with only spending money on toys that can be sold if I need cash for something later, hence the high feedback and low post count here. I like to play with a lot of different toys, but then I need cash for something... time to sell a scope/upper/stock/etc. I get to try a lot of cool stuff and don't put a big dent in my income. Needless to say, I don't get very attached to my stuff.)
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:30:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amtrack ticket puncher $100,000+ salary.
View Quote

calling BS on this one
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
My BIL is a painless dent removal guy. No need to chase hail for him when we live next to the biggest auto sales area in the country (Cerritos auto square) and his company holds many of the dealer contracts to fix the dings. His company is just him and his boss.

He easily makes 6 figures and does side work for cash.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

calling BS on this one
View Quote
I dunno, union and all I bet. I just highly doubt there are many jobs and it is in a failing industry so kind of scary.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:39:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a good friend who fixes dents on cars/trucks and makes North of $300k a year.  He works in the Knoxville area.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a good friend who fixes dents on cars/trucks and makes North of $300k a year.  He works in the Knoxville area.
View Quote
that job has come up like 3 or 4 times ITT so far

wtf have i been doing with my life, dent guys are the secret ballers
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Fixing rock chips in windshields is probably not a bad gig either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is an example of a problem that you have solved?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a professional problem solver. I don't have a specialty and can and do solve all types of problems. It's me and two other guys. Pretty lucrative gig but it's not something you can really learn in school. I started figuring out how things worked when I was about 8 years old. I never stopped trying to figure things out.

My secret... I'm typically the dumbest guy in the room and I'm not afraid to say it. I ask the stupid questions everyone else is scared to ask. It's not what you know that makes you good at this, it's the type of questions you know to ask. Me and the other two bust each other so hard for "faulty logic" during internal discussions it's like we have a super power now. Most people don't appreciate being called out for bad logic.
This doesn't sound like computer programming, where you have to link different systems together...

Sounds more like a few stoner nerds sitting around smoking weed, landing the random lucky business 'problem' from Craigslist ads. But doing shitty work and no repeat business unless the person who hired them was a woman who didn't know a damn thing and just lazy.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PorkChopsForHire just had a thread about dudes making money jerking off on the internet.

That's pretty fucking esoteric.
View Quote
You're pretty much obsessed with me,

When you eat porkchops do you scream NO! and punch them or cry while you eat them?

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Paint less dent removal guys. Some of these guys chase hail around the country. A good one can make solid six figures and only work 4-5 months a year, granted that's on the road away from home.
View Quote
Summer of 2006 when I still lived in SC, we had a bad hail storm.  I rented a corner of a parking lot I managed to them, and as far as I saw, they damaged a lot of cars and helped none.  I know they ruined my boss's car.  They pulled the paint off of the hood, front left fender, and trunk.  It wasn't long before all of those places started rusting from the pain they removed.  They're a scam.z
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]
My good weeks I make 10K, I don't know if thats considered crazy money.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:31:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Summer of 2006 when I still lived in SC, we had a bad hail storm.  I rented a corner of a parking lot I managed to them, and as far as I saw, they damaged a lot of cars and helped none.  I know they ruined my boss's car.  They pulled the paint off of the hood, front left fender, and trunk.  It wasn't long before all of those places started rusting from the pain they removed.  They're a scam.z
View Quote
I'm not sure what those guys are doing, but every dent guy I've ever known uses tools that reach from behind to pop out the dent.  

The only thing that attaches to the painted side is a suction cup with a photographers flexible stand attached to a white grid outline, to help the dent guy know where he's working.  There is an art to it for sure.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm amazed at what some of those top EDM dj's make.  Millions of dollars, going from one party to another all over the world.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was flat out amazed myself.  I figured the profession worth 30-40k a year max.  Boy was I wrong.

It's all about how you network and where you get your contracts, I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My good weeks I make 10K, I don't know if thats considered crazy money.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

calling BS on this one
View Quote
Not me and i didn't believe it until i seen it with my own eyes.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know people doing underwater rescue/recovery who make stupid money - and more if the divers are certified to go into caves.
View Quote
Really? I know of several people that do that here in FL and none of them are even paid, much less paid well. That even goes for the cave recovery guys.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:57:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe that, I know a friend of my son that spent 3 months in Australia repairing hail damage cars. I also know he bought two rental houses when he returned.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:57:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get your "8a" certification and sell something to the government at 30-40% markup.

Get listed as a source in "FedMall" or "GSA" and sell something to the government for 25% markup.

All you have to do is middleman the shipments from Amazon or somewhere else.
View Quote
Hell no.

No way would I sell to .gov. People bitch about .gov contractors fleecing the U.S. taxpayer and I'm sure some do. Risky business.

I've had a small taste of it.

GD is right...NEVER INVITE THE MAN into your (business).

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 8:58:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

damn thats awesome! how did you pitch the MSA to them? just be like "hey i'll manage all your work for you"?
View Quote
No pitch.   I was in the gunstore one day and a guy was in there BS'ing with the owner.  The Gunstore owner mentioned I was an Electrician and that led to my first job with them.  I had to do a 4160v Termination and test it.   That got my foot in the door.  Then there was an Electric fence that popped up in January.  Cows were getting into a set of trees planted for noise barriers.   I charged them something like $21000 to build a barbed wire fence, install an electric fence and run an electrical line to it.  I had to sub out the barb ware fence but the rest I did with a helper.  I didn't make much on that one.   I have done very little work with them as far as Electrical.  It has been a "hey Kelley can you handle this?" kind of thing.   With construction wrapping up I am thinking it will go back to just doing Electrical but you never know.  

Basically the last 10 years or so I have managed to just be standing in the right place at the right time.  Thats how I managed to get into working overseas without having to cut my teeth with KBR, its led me to some interesting places and done some interesting things.   I broke out on my own in a way in January but took on a partnership deal so I could afford the insurance to work in such places.  Lately with all the stress I have been thinking about throwing it in and going to work for someone where I can drop the worry at the door when I leave.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I work for a global company and only deal with stuff for the company I work for. We are like an internal consulting group. It's not easy to get this position even if you've been with the company a while. They don't hire externally to fill these positions.  Sorry.

If I were freelance,  I'd make a lot more money but I like what I'm doing and where I'm doing it. What book did the CO write? Chances are I've read it. 
View Quote
Stop guessing by Nat Greene.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Get your "8a" certification and sell something to the government at 30-40% markup.

Get listed as a source in "FedMall" or "GSA" and sell something to the government for 25% markup.

All you have to do is middleman the shipments from Amazon or somewhere else.
View Quote
I have a buddy that does this.   Scours those websites looking for random shit to bid/supply.   I helped him out with a transformer a while back.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I believe that, I know a friend of my son that spent 3 months in Australia repairing hail damage cars. I also know he bought two rental houses when he returned.
View Quote
that settles it. i'm going balls deep in dent repair
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:16:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would be very skeptical of those numbers you listed in the op.

Typically (not always) if there someone is making a million in something easy like coordinating some service calls, it's usually not true or gets replaced by an in house guy pretty quick.
View Quote
I've done work for companies like this. I'm the plumber they call and they set me up with the client. Most of the time the client just calls me direct now instead of having a "coordinator" do the "work". When these coordinators have a few hundred to a thousand contacts they can make bank doing absolutely nothing.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#26]
A local guy has a youtube channel and makes a good living off of it.  $50-60K a month.

He make a 10 minute video everyday about, basically nothing. His channel is about his car and truck and modding them..
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've done work for companies like this. I'm the plumber they call and they set me up with the client. Most of the time the client just calls me direct now instead of having a "coordinator" do the "work". When these coordinators have a few hundred to a thousand contacts they can make bank doing absolutely nothing.
View Quote
i've been at their house when shes working, literally will google "San Jose electrician", call a bunch and fine one willing to do the job, email them the work order, confirm quote, stack cash

the hardest part is just getting the service contract with the company, after that a fucking monkey could do it
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

were you an insurance adjuster/etc by trade? or did you randomly get into this with no background?
View Quote

No, I was an ASE certified truck/school bus mechanic, shop foreman with over 30 years experience. Plus I've attended numerous schools on truck engine, transmission, rear end, a/c, etc. Also attended classes on accident investigation. Plus I have my private investigator license. I don't care much for the accident scene investigation part, I prefer to crawl over the vehicle to figure out the how and why of things. Usually I'm used as a second or maybe third opinion on why something happened. Most of the time, an accident is caused by poor decision making by the driver or the driver's management or the lack of preventative maintenance.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My secret... I'm typically the dumbest guy in the room and I'm not afraid to say it. I ask the stupid questions everyone else is scared to ask. It's not what you know that makes you good at this, it's the type of questions you know to ask.
View Quote
this is me, exactly. A few years ago i missed something cause I didn't want to look dumb and ask a question. So I committed to be the one to ask the dumbest question possible in every meeting, and to not stop asking questions till I fully understood something,  no matter how mad everyone got.

I am *flabbergasted* how often I'll ask literally the dumbest question you've ever heard about the most trivial of details to make sure I understand, and  later after the meetings how many people will come say "oh man I'm glad you asked that, I didn't know what they were talking about and was scared to ask"

I'd say that's happened at least once every single time I've done it.   It's crazy how much of the world goes unexplained cause people are scared to ask.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A local guy has a youtube channel and makes a good living off of it.  $50-60K a month.

He make a 10 minute video everyday about, basically nothing. His channel is about his car and truck and modding them..
View Quote
Streetspeed??
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Streetspeed??
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I knew a politician that was broke when they went into office and is now worth tens of millions, also half a million dollars for one speech (that would be a good racket to get into)
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Around here you can make good money as a tow truck driver.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#34]
OP should go look at some grow operations on youtube. Dudes farming weed aren't just sitting on the couch all day smoking blunts while millions of dollars come in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I knew a politician that was broke when they went into office and is now worth tens of millions, also half a million dollars for one speech (that would be a good racket to get into)
View Quote
You know Hillary?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Typically (not always) if there someone is making a million in something easy like coordinating some service calls, it's usually not true or gets replaced by an in house guy pretty quick.

Just from what I know about business, I believe about 4% of what's in these threads.

I've seen it all my life, guys are "raking in the dough", "makin the big money", or "living the LA lifestyle" and all of the sudden one thing happens and there's a liquidation auction. People typically borrow to the hilt to look like they are wealthy and pay it off as quick as it depreciates so they have nothing in the end.

It's always the big money guys that drive fancy pickups that go under, then the bank is calling, riding my ass wanting to inspect all my stuff because they had some questionable assets listed in the borrowing base.

Just my 2 cents.
View Quote
Nailed it! While there are plenty that make crazy money, there are 10s of thousands for each that fake it with bullshit and loans out their ass.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We had a paintless dent removal guy as a tenant, he didn't make bank and we had to boot him for lack of payment.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:26:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
she's best friends and former business associate of the now VP, thats how the contract came to be, the service fees she charges are well within their budget, the work gets done and they dont mind paying the bills

its not like some back room deal, the whole thing was approved by the bean counters, as far as they're concerned, offices running at 100% are more important than a slight markup on service calls
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

she's best friends and former business associate of the now VP, thats how the contract came to be, the service fees she charges are well within their budget, the work gets done and they dont mind paying the bills

its not like some back room deal, the whole thing was approved by the bean counters, as far as they're concerned, offices running at 100% are more important than a slight markup on service calls
Basically a property manager, but not on salary. Smart to cut out the management company and keep the cash for herself.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:35:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

calling BS on this one
True story. Most railroad jobs are pretty lucrative.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

that settles it. i'm going balls deep in dent repair
View Quote
SAME.

Paintless Dent Repair - Tutorial 1

I could stand the shitty soundtrack for a solid 6 figures.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

True story. Most railroad jobs are pretty lucrative.
View Quote
You even get special treatment at tax time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Every real estate agent ever.
View Quote
I can tell you that's a load of shit.

My wife did it for 10 years I guess.

We are no better for it in the least. Probably less so.

Yeah she sold and sold and sold.......

Doesn't amount to jack shit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a professional problem solver. I don't have a specialty and can and do solve all types of problems. It's me and two other guys. Pretty lucrative gig but it's not something you can really learn in school. I started figuring out how things worked when I was about 8 years old. I never stopped trying to figure things out.

My secret... I'm typically the dumbest guy in the room and I'm not afraid to say it. I ask the stupid questions everyone else is scared to ask. It's not what you know that makes you good at this, it's the type of questions you know to ask. Me and the other two bust each other so hard for "faulty logic" during internal discussions it's like we have a super power now. Most people don't appreciate being called out for bad logic.
We do a lot of reliability type "investigations". I work in an industrial environment and reliability of equipment is a big issue. A lot of times the best efforts of conventional problem solving efforts will be used to solve a problem. If those efforts weren't successful it gets tossed over the fence to us. For example, there was a pair of blowers in use somewhere. One of these never failed and the other failed once a month for the last two years and had to be rebuilt at great expense. Everyone and their grandkids had looked at it with no success. We went to the failed equipment tear down and didn't really see anything. We went back to the rebuild facility and did some more checking. Turns out they had a change in personnel two years prior. The one that never failed was rebuilt by one guy but he was gone.  

The new guy reused the same bolts for one critical component for each rebuild. The bolts were worn out. No one caught it and the rebuilder didn't think it was a big deal, it was. I stopped by home depot and bought the proper bolts for 5.67 cents. Problem solved.  It took us 3 days to figure it all out.  

We take incredibly complex events and systems and explain them with such simplicity a 5th grader can understand it. When something happens that folks want to understand, we teach them what happened. Luckily we have to learn it first ourselves. That's what I love. I'm addicted to "learning". I get to learn new and different things all day everyday at work and then help others understand them.  We do it all, heat transfer, vibration, electrical, controls and automation, psychology and behavior.... you name it.  

The funniest part is, the most valuable person is usually the one that knows the least about a subject. As long as they are comfortable asking "dumb" questions their value can't really be quantified. All it takes is the "right" question to reveal the one previously unknown "black swan" that changes everything. 
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
StreetSpeed717?
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

When you eat porkchops do you scream NO! and punch them or cry while you eat them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
PorkChopsForHire just had a thread about dudes making money jerking off on the internet.

That's pretty fucking esoteric.

I just like typing MrPorkChopsForHire.  Its fun.  I don't even dislike your posts, and this only about the third time I've done it.  I thought you were swearing off the internet and becoming a gentleman farmer in Colorado?

And I dont eat pork chops.  Decent people dont eat the flesh of the swine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had an idea one time. Never followed through though.

It was a "Jump to Conclusions" mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We do a lot of reliability type "investigations". I work in an industrial environment and reliability of equipment is a big issue. A lot of times the best efforts of conventional problem solving efforts will be used to solve a problem. If those efforts weren't successful it gets tossed over the fence to us. For example, there was a pair of blowers in use somewhere. One of these never failed and the other failed once a month for the last two years and had to be rebuilt at great expense. Everyone and their grandkids had looked at it with no success. We went to the failed equipment tear down and didn't really see anything. We went back to the rebuild facility and did some more checking. Turns out they had a change in personnel two years prior. The one that never failed was rebuilt by one guy but he was gone.  

The new guy reused the same bolts for one critical component for each rebuild. The bolts were worn out. No one caught it and the rebuilder didn't think it was a big deal, it was. I stopped by home depot and bought the proper bolts for 5.67 cents. Problem solved.  It took us 3 days to figure it all out.  

We take incredibly complex events and systems and explain them with such simplicity a 5th grader can understand it. When something happens that folks want to understand, we teach them what happened. Luckily we have to learn it first ourselves. That's what I love. I'm addicted to "learngh level meetings wiing". I get to learn new and different things all day everyday at work and then help others understand them.  We do it all, heat transfer, vibration, electrical, controls and automation, psychology and behavior.... you name it.  

The funniest part is, the most valuable person is usually the one that knows the least about a subject. As long as they are comfortable asking "dumb" questions their value can't really be quantified. All it takes is the "right" question to reveal the one previously unknown "black swan" that changes everything. 
View Quote
I can relate to this post.

Having built and serviced machines for the big 3 and ALMOST every car maufact. since '96. I don't have a single fucking degree or certificate or any fucking proof.

My relaxed brain and fake bravado turned many a profit around.

Why my employer sent me to such high- level meetings, with Captains of Industry...I will never know? I have sat in on meetings with Dieter and Fritz. My jeans were ripped and my fingernails were  black.

I wouldn't even let me speak to them.

Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Film industry
View Quote
So you are the guy with the couch
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Really? I know of several people that do that here in FL and none of them are even paid, much less paid well. That even goes for the cave recovery guys.
View Quote
Depends on who is paying.  States are low pay and slow pay, and for evidence recovery LE agencies are known for stiffing teams so divers don't get wet until they've at least been paid the show-up fee.  Insurance companies pay well up here, especially for vessel recovery.

FedGov (FEMA and NTSB) are starting to outsource their work.  Contractors get a monthly stipend, training is paid for, and if they require certain types of gear they'll cover it also.  Call-out rates vary but they start at $500 show-up/$200 per diver per hour and go up depending on each diver's certs and experience so it's not unheard of to get $10k per team per day.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top