Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was so surprised when I read this article in the Washington Post of all places.

Dressed To Kill
From Kabul to Kandahar, It's Not Who You Are That Matters, but What You Shoot

You're kidding?

Stephen Hunter surprisingly still writes for WaPo occasionally.
Here is a more recent article by him:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/04/AR2011020406709.html

He's the Washington Post movie critic.    

Many may not notice the name but he has wrote many books that have been well researched in the firearm department.  Point of Impact is still my favorite.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 8:12:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I hope it ends up in the lobby at the new World Trade Center towers in a glass display case.

In a perfect world, Bin Laden's severed head would be displayed next to it.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Didnt the Russkies call it Sucha or something like that? supposedly translated to "little bitch"  
Quoted:

Quoted:

I was so surprised when I read this article in the Washington Post of all places.
Dressed To Kill

From Kabul to Kandahar, It's Not Who You Are That Matters, but What You Shoot
By Stephen Hunter

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, November 26, 2001; Page C01
You won't see guns like that carried by the Taliban, no sir. Look at Osama bin Laden's gun. It's visible in any of a dozen pictures and it's tubeless, screenless and grenade-launcherless. But it, too, is not only a gun. It's a gun with a coded message; you can read this guy like a book.
He's certainly no Captain Winters from HBO's "Band of Brothers," who, despite his natural genius for soldiering, insisted on carrying the line soldier's prosaic M1 all the way to Berchtesgarten. No, bin Laden's narcissism –– dead giveaway to a fake tough guy –– mandates that he make a fashion statement.
Any idiot knows that was an AK-47 leaning against the cave wall behind bin Laden during his videotaped response to the American bombing. Yes, the AK-47, the most famous of the liberation firearms distributed globally by the Soviet Union and its client states during the Cold War. There may be 50 million of them floating around the globe today.
Except it wasn't. But if you're one of the idiots, don't feel bad; you belong with the other 99.9 percent of the population that doesn't know anything about guns. Bin Laden's rifle wasn't an AK-47 at all, but one of its descendants, an AK-74, and of a particular modification that included, for portability and ease of handling, a very short barrel and a folding skeletonized stock and a flash suppressor. It's called a Krinkov.
It's actually a hybrid. If you crossed a classic 7.62mm x 39 Soviet AK-47 with an American 5.56mm NATO M4, its natural antagonist in about a million firefights in about 75 wars, insurrections and special-ops tiffs, you'd get the AK-74, which is the AK-47 mechanism reconfigured to fire the smaller-caliber, high-velocity round. Then you trick it up; by cutting the barrel and adding that folding stock, you get a Krinkov, which is the current hot lick among people who want to be noticed. It was designed for airborne troops. If you're not going to be jumping out of airplanes, it doesn't do anything for you that the 47 won't.
Bin Laden knows this: For him the gun isn't just a weapon, it's a symbol. He's making a statement, as with the curved ceremonial dagger that hangs from his belt when he's all duded-up in his white finery. He is making a claim: I am of the elite. In other words, he is saying something so Western it suggests the soul-deep depth of his hypocrisy. He is saying: I am so cool.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-218439.html

While we Americans know it is as the "Krinkov", the Soviets apparently did not call the AKS74U any such thing.  The term was apparently coined by David Isby back in the '80s when he wrote about it after he saw it for the first time.  Nobody knows the true origin of the name "Krinkov" from the reading I've done on the subject.  

Apparently.  I'm not Russian, don't speak the language, wasn't in Afghanistan fighting with them, so the only information I have is what I read-probably from the same sources as you.  
Suchka

Ksyuha

Okurok
Slang names all-kink of like calling the M60 GPMG "pig".

Suchka = Little Bitch
What do the others mean?

The "Krink" was a PDW type weapon. Not specifically for soviet airborne infantry.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, we have a former Spetsnaz soldier on Arfcom now............maybe we should ask him about it
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I hope it ends up in the lobby at the new World Trade Center towers in a glass display case.

In a perfect world, Bin Laden's severed head would be displayed next to it.

That would be greatness....
Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Man, thats one HUGE ASS banana clip right there!

Quoted:
Some of the stock photos of him with his AK-74SU looks like it has a longer magazine. Possibly a 45 rnd RPK-74 magazine? Handguards look worn as hell.

<a href="http://img197.imageshack.us/i/osamabinladent.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/511/osamabinladent.jpg</a>

Burn in hell dirtbag.

Link Posted: 5/3/2011 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
That show 'should' be good...but its just painful instead.
Quoted:
The producers of Sons of Guns will buy it and have Red Jacket pimp it in some ungodly way.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top