Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple fairly expensive rifles that I bought hard cases for, built a hot wire cutter, did custom foam, and took to the range one time.

They are too friggin heavy and our rifles are way stronger than we give them credit for.

I toss them in soft sided cases now. My Pelicans sit completely unused. Have for ages.
View Quote

I still use mine but wow, the case is heavy all by itself.  Add in two, 12-15 pound rifles and a couple of scopes,... they are not fun to carry in one hand.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The cool thing about this is it means instead of buying a bunch of hard cases and having individual foam for each...you can just buy one hard case and reconfigure it whenever you need to for whatever needs to go into it.

I'm on board, as soon as they make a bunch that'll fit the Pelican Air 1745 I've got kicking around here somewhere..
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If I’m flying somewhere, I rip out all the foam and use small padded soft side bags to contain stuff that may be delicate.  Everything else just kind of gets shoved where it’ll fit.

For range trips or travel via vehicle, I keep the top and bottom foam in place and leave the center foam out.  The large items are held in place, small items are held in the same relative place by the large items.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quite cool. Not into hard cases but a neat option for organization and stability for those who are.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:52:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are selling them to Savage for specific model builds right now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/50E8FD5F-2762-46A7-BD98-9503E301184F-2625860.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't they just release their hunter stock for Savage rifles that they've been promising for 3 fucking years???
They are selling them to Savage for specific model builds right now

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3097/50E8FD5F-2762-46A7-BD98-9503E301184F-2625860.jpg

They have been sold to Savage to sell as a complete rifle.
They’ve been promising over the counter sales since SHOT 2020. Brownells has had them on back order on their site since then.

The Remington 700 and Tikka T3X models have been out forever.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Since I got a safe, I rarely use my cases.

I have a Pelican 1700, that I used to keep an AR in. So the Magpulego® system may come in handy if they ever make a set for the 1700. Pretty neat system.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
For some reason it never occurred to me until this thread.

I can just get a bunch of soft cases.

Throw my stuff in there.  Then put the cases in my pelican.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I like that I won't need a case for each of my rifles.  I have 3 custom cut for various rifles.  This would allow me to use one case for any rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I recently used My Case Builder  to have the below cutout and I think it turned out awesome. They have a decent selection of pre made designs and you can also create your own which I had to do for the AR. They also allow you to vary the depth of the cut so you can clearance things that stick out such as scope turrets.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Interesting.  A good friend gave me a brand new 1750 several years ago and I've never cut the foam because I wasn't sure what to dedicate it to.  This looks like a great solution to that issue.  

Now if only someone could figure out how to get that 1750 into my Jeep.  Holy hell, that thing is big.
View Quote

Back when I had the suburban I used to call it the war wagon when it was loaded up with three or four rifles in Pelican or Storm cases.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's actually kinda awesome.

It means you don't have to dedicate a case to a setup - you can swap the case setup around as you swap setups. That means you don't have to cut foam and marry yourself to it. You could basically have one Pelican case to rule them all, as it were.
View Quote

Exactly, as your gear evolves, so does the case. I’ve already got cases for firearms that the foam no longer accommodates my current optics, stocks and accessories. Too often, I have cut or plucked foam only to realize my gear doesn’t fit right or that I wasted too much space.

Not a perfect solution but I’ll give it a try.

(A “perfect” solution would be having a custom foam insert laser cut for every configuration and paying for it with a .gov purchase card)
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting.  A good friend gave me a brand new 1750 several years ago and I've never cut the foam because I wasn't sure what to dedicate it to.  This looks like a great solution to that issue.  

Now if only someone could figure out how to get that 1750 into my Jeep.  Holy hell, that thing is big.
View Quote

Yep, they are damn big. I ended up ditching the foam entirely and loading guns and gear in their own soft cases into the hard case. A few padlocks and its perfect for rolling into and out of hotels when I travel to shoots.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:00:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's their new case with the system. I did get a laugh out of them using one of the shittiest least secure locks in existence in their promo lol.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Makes sense.

But know what makes more sense? The self proclaimed polymer kings making some got damned OD green PMAG’s.

At least it’s not a neon orange weed container this year.  

ETA: Okay that case looks alright and the organization system looks awesome. They missed a huge opportunity to make their rifle cases look like a PMAG though.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Lots of little holes and pockets for sand, spent brass, and little miscellaneous items to fall in and be a pain to dig out...
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Closed cell legos?   Pretty fuckin' cool.  I can't remember the last time I used either my Pelican or Starlight, but that's still cool as hell.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I own several pelican cases for my video gear and a couple for firearms.

Yes pick and pluck sucks ass.
Yes cutting your own foam suck ass but last much longer than pick and pluck.
Are custom cut inserts the best way to protect your investment, absolutely. Why scrimp out on protecting gear.

This is all marketing hype...look how loosely the mags are stored in this screen cap.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254303/Screen_Shot_2023-01-09_at_1_49_33_PM_png-2666473.JPG

Crap is going to bounce all over the place in that case. Wonder why they never showed someone carrying it, setting it down and then opening it up?

ETA: you can create custom foam for the v800 for about $200
View Quote

I'm sure they'll come with modular pistol mag cut outs that insert into the grid holes, and Pmag shaped cut outs. It won't ever be as conforming as a custom cut case but will be close enough and semi modular so if your weapon set up changes you can change with it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Interesting, indeed.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
given the modular nature - it is only time before they make a pmag lego for them.  It it is simply an easy way to pump up the margin.  $20 a lego or more.
View Quote

See, you figured it out. They're starting with blocks, but there's really nothing stopping them from making modules with more complex shapes.

I don't really use hard cases for day to day stuff, but if I had to travel on a plane with a rifle, I'd certainly consider an organization solution like this.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn will buy, good for them!
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Am I the only one who takes the top layer of foam out of the Pelican cases and just throws all my shit in there loose?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I'm in. This looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Ordered one from Magpul will have to see how it does
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm firmly in the soft case inside of a hard case camp and haven't used custom cut foam in ages...with that said, modularity in cases is a great idea and I think they're onto something here. Sell a kit with common modules, sell them piecemeal, have specific ones for common pieces of gear, etc...since they're hollow on the inside they might be able to hold pistol mags vertically in the holes as well?

When I'm doing something that prompts me to bring out the hard case, it's got a rifle or two plus tools, mags, slings, ammo, etc. A solution for all of those things could be huge.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Last trip I packed a hard case with 2 soft cased rifles.  I needed soft cases for day to day-but wanted the hard case for the airlines.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ll get one. Why not
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#29]
I need to swap out my big rifle pelican… 1750 is too big
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#30]
it's like a lightbright for guns. i'm going to paint the pegs/blocks
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Am I the only one who takes the top layer of foam out of the Pelican cases and just throws all my shit in there loose?
View Quote

Mine had a top/bottom/middle. I took out the middle and the top and bottom sandwiches everything but skinny mags nicely
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Man I found egg crate foam as the middle layer is the answer everyone is looking for without all the hassle.

I have cut out ones that never capture the next need I have.  Those blocks look like a good option but also too loose and kind of a pita.

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:19:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Way cool.
Will it hold a waffle maker?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Genius.

Hopefully they make them for the Nanuk and other cases.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I recently used My Case Builder  to have the below cutout and I think it turned out awesome. They have a decent selection of pre made designs and you can also create your own which I had to do for the AR. They also allow you to vary the depth of the cut so you can clearance things that stick out such as scope turrets.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/95497/4D8AA0EE-EBDB-477D-BC1F-4C76214D5FD7_jpe-2666593.JPG
View Quote

Is that a Nanuk 995?

There is nothing quite like that “sniper rifle cutout.” Everything else is garbage in comparison.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]
so dumb
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#38]
While an interesting concept, I think Magpul may have for once overestimated the potential market size for something like this.

Pelican rifle cases are heavy AF anyway and I never take them To the range.

Was the weight mentioned in the video?  And Who wants to fly with a rifle?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Use a case? Huh.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have a secret solution for this, if y’all want to know…

Foam is good and all in the case but the best way to organize your case is to use a soft case in place of the foam (or the majority of foam). Soft cases come with all the pockets to organize and keep secure, has the main compartment. Keeps it real simple.

ETA: Meaning, place the soft case in the hard case. You’ll keep the specifics for whatever long gun in individual soft cases while the hard case is general use.
View Quote

This how I roll. Cram a hard case full of bags. No, it isn't high speed low drag but it holds alot more without foam and the bags act as great cushion.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a couple fairly expensive rifles that I bought hard cases for, built a hot wire cutter, did custom foam, and took to the range one time.

They are too friggin heavy and our rifles are way stronger than we give them credit for.

I toss them in soft sided cases now. My Pelicans sit completely unused. Have for ages.
View Quote

Weight is a big factor for me and why I don't use hard cases often. I'd only use my Pelican hard cases if flying with a rifle or transporting a rifle by vehicle to protect it from the elements if in an open bed of a pickup truck or on a roof or hitch mount cargo rack.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Hello, I'm skink and i may be addicted to discount pelican cases. This doesn't include rifle cases in the pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:43:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks nice
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:02:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Very neat. And I'm glad I jumped on that optics planet doorbuster 1750 with no foam for $99!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:05:15 AM EDT
[#45]
The hard cases look interesting, but I hate the aesthetics of all the open-top foam cells.  Sure, the modularity is cool, but it's ugly and will catch debris.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:34:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Brother and I both have plano AW42 I got cheap off amazon back when the deals thread was poppin' I hope the price I saw posted here was a joke.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:45:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Why don’t they just release their hunter stock for Savage rifles that they’ve been promising for 3 fucking years???
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 4:29:54 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Was the weight mentioned in the video?  And Who wants to fly with a rifle?
View Quote
My wife works for an airline: a LOT of people fly every day with rifles, especially to hunting states during season. Add in tactical classes, government employees, people shooting matches  it's more than you might think. I probably fly ten trips a year to firearms destinations with crap jammed in TSA-defying manner. Mags stuffed in boots, sweatshirts holding rifles from knocking into each other, etc. :) TSA unpacks my stuff, and it never seems to go back like I shoehorned it all carefully in. This DAKA stuff looks good for establishing boundaries. I have had custom cut foam, but then the first minute you swap out a scope or add a bipod and all the sudden your gear doesn't fit.

Weight: even if it's a little savings, anyone who has flown with rifles is probably weight-sensitive: it's not hard to get some ammo, night vision, and basic scoped firearms past that 50-lb $$$ airline charges.

Link Posted: 1/10/2023 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Watching these on social media, they've already said they're going to release multiple case options in Q1. I'm inclined to believe them despite previous wait times for other Magpul items, mostly because some case sizes of these are already shipping.

Also, they've shown a few other block sizes and shapes, which could be helpful, as well as some lego organizing bins with lids that lock into the waffle. All to be released later. I will almost definitely get a set as long as they make it for the Pelican Storm, of which I have a few of that need some organization.

While I am excited to try it, a couple things I think could be better: the 1x2 and 1x3 blocks. Why wouldn't they make one long and one short side of the block thicker, and the opposite sides a little thinner (as they are "hollow" in the center of the squares) to allow for better fitment of material. Kind of like an oblong option as well as their symmetrical option shown. Rotating an "offset" block 180deg could give you more or less space than the "standard" blocks. Unlike Legos, not all the stuff inside a case is a standard unit size. It seems like making slight variations in the blocks (+/- a quarter block thickness or so on opposite sides) would allow greater variations of storage.

Second, part of the description complains about the bad open-cell foam that attracts moisture, dirt, and other stuff that is common in most cases. But it looks like they reuse a case's lid foam, which are often open-cell egg-carton style. Seems like a replacement lid foam to match the included new bottom foam would be best.

Either way, excited to try one out.
Just my .02
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Brother and I both have plano AW42 I got cheap off amazon back when the deals thread was poppin' I hope the price I saw posted here was a joke.
View Quote

Yea, it seems like just a couple years ago you could get a decent hard-case for as low as $50.  I picked up a Flambeau 6500ARP Outdoors Tactical AR Rifle Case for $38, delivered.  Now, same case is $65.  That's as flimsy as you want to go, better ones now hit $250 crazy-fast.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top