Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:42:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 15 year old daughter and a 31 year old daughter. My yougest one is allowed to date now, but just. When she was in the 6th grade she was allowed to go to the dance but she was supervised while going to and from as well as while she was there.
She was not allowed to talk to boys on the phone when she was in the 6th grade. Christ thier still little kids when thier that young.
Hang onto her as long as you can cause when she gets in high school you will have an even bigger problem than you do now.

P.S. My oldest did not date until she was 16 and didn't get married till she was 30. Of course that is exactly what I told her to do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I remember slow dancing in 6th grade. I had a girlfriend too, we never kissed or dated, and barely talked to each other ever. Then one day one of her friends came up to me and said she dumped me. That fucking bitch!

Seriously, I don't think you have to much to worry about.

I remember slow dancing at that age and having raging boners.  Just being close to girl set things off and then if there was incidental contact --- look out.  

The girls could tell.  It was awkawrd at that age.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:10:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see that the point here is whether his daughter is going to get knocked up at the 6th grade dance.  Geez, do most of your people even see two moves ahead of your nose?

The problem becomes teaching his daughter what is appropriate behavior at a young age and setting appropriate guidelines.  Failing to do so does set up a situation for early sexual activity. Do you all think that maybe letting her smoke a little  or have a few drinks might not lead to further problems down the road?  Same here.

It is totally inappropriate for a school to be putting 6th graders in a sexual situation like this. Totally inappropriate. Same goes for pajama parties for 3rd graders. Same shit, different age.  And then when 13 year olds are pregnant these same people are telling them to have an abortion. I certainly cannot be the only one who sees both the irony and the degeneracy in this.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:17:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, man, let her do it.  

You need to lighten up, man.

It's cool, bro.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's cool, bro.  

spoken like a true 8th grader.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I knew all I needed to know from the subject:

my daughter and 6th grade dances...boyfriends
You're on AR15.com, so your choices are either "Get both" or "draw down". I suggest you grab a shovel and drawdown on the "boyfriend." Or wait until they each have one and get both with one draw down.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:20:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's cool, bro.  

That or a 53 year old pedophile
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not to alarm you but I highly suggest you attend a couple school dances even if its to work the concession stand or guard a door as to not imbarress your girls.  

By watching the other children, this will let you know what sort of peer pressure your girls are facing.  From your post it appears you are going into battle blind.

BTW, if you don't think its a battle yet, it will be.

Tj

This is about the best.  I had all boys and I still worry, but no where near as much as my brother and his girls.

My oldest went to a "Christian" High School, and as far as I can tell their view of the real world, boys and girls, was not in sync with reality.  It wasn't in sync with 30 years ago, let alone today.  Then again, they let their cheerleaders wear these skimpy little pants with their names embroidered on their butts.  I wouldn't let my daughters do that.  If I had daughters I wouldn't let them wear things that drw eyes to their butts.  Too much chance of guys trying to learn braille there.

Get involved with school activites at a minimum level, the occasional chaperone, snack bar, as noted you see the environment and pressure and your kids friends get to know you in a non-threatening atmosphere.  

My brother is a high school substitute teacher and once in a while get's his kids school and when the administration fouls up, his daughters class. And so he gets a pretty good view of her friends.  He's 6'3" about 270 pounds and  many of the kids know he does Cowboy Action Shooting and Wild West Re-enacting.   Several classes have seen pictures and videos of him in action with a shotgun.  He has few problems and his daughters get no hassles.

You want to be on the perimeter and in the awareness zone of the friends.  You don't want to be too heavy handed and always too much around and you don't want to be out in a blissfull never never land of ignorance.

My sister-in-law is quite aware of the need to  be aware.  Her two best friends were the last victims of the Hillside Strangler, they had a group of 5 going to the mall, but she had to go to the dentist and two of the others dropped out also.  The 2 that still went never came home.  5 was good number for mutual protection, 2 wasn't.  Her girls know what the penalty can be.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's cool, bro.  

That or a 53 year old pedophile

well put....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Here in the civilized south, we have Cotillion for our children that teaches children  the proper ways  of etiquette and dancing.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

<snip>
It is totally inappropriate for a school to be putting 6th graders in a sexual situation like this.

What kind of situation are you expecting at a 6th grade dance?

My daughter's school (6, 7, 8th grade) holds a monthly "canteen" for all grades. I chaperone every month, and am a "hall walker" so I am constantly on patrol through the whole thing, in and out of rooms, following problem makers, keeping kids in line...one of only a few parents who will tell other person's kids not to do things, and a couple of the smaller Moms who are there, usually come to me when kids give them lip.

They have a bingo room, souvenir pictures, snack bar, video game room, pool, darts, foos ball, table hockey, and "dancing" in the gym.  When there is a "slow dance"...rarely, it's usually the girls dancing with girls, and the boys no where to be found... and there are contact rules if a boy and girl are dancing together.

It is a social event, nowhere near a "sexual situation". Dress code is the same as during the school day. And some kids do try to get away with clothing that is not allowed, and they get busted for it. Nothing upsets a girl like being told her skirt is too short and being made to wear sweats by the principal.

Now, maybe a dedicated "dance" is a bit much for a 6th grade function, but we didn't get alot more info about the origina poster's function.  AND I said in my first post that the father should chaperone. Like I've told a few parents (teachers, staff, etc) at my daughter's functions, I am not there to watch my daughter, I'm there to watch everyone else....and I tell the kids that try and cause problems, that I am not there to ruin their night, I am there to stop them from ruining the other kids' night.

I think this thread needs an after action report update after the next dance.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<snip>
It is totally inappropriate for a school to be putting 6th graders in a sexual situation like this.

What kind of situation are you expecting at a 6th grade dance?

My daughter's school (6, 7, 8th grade) holds a monthly "canteen" for all grades. I chaperone every month, and am a "hall walker" so I am constantly on patrol through the whole thing, in and out of rooms, following problem makers, keeping kids in line...one of only a few parents who will tell other person's kids not to do things, and a couple of the smaller Moms who are there, usually come to me when kids give them lip.

They have a bingo room, souvenir pictures, snack bar, video game room, pool, darts, foos ball, table hockey, and "dancing" in the gym.  When there is a "slow dance"...rarely, it's usually the girls dancing with girls, and the boys no where to be found... and there are contact rules if a boy and girl are dancing together.

It is a social event, nowhere near a "sexual situation". Dress code is the same as during the school day. And some kids do try to get away with clothing that is not allowed, and they get busted for it. Nothing upsets a girl like being told her skirt is too short and being made to wear sweats by the principal.

Now, maybe a dedicated "dance" is a bit much for a 6th grade function, but we didn't get alot more info about the origina poster's function.  AND I said in my first post that the father should chaperone. Like I've told a few parents (teachers, staff, etc) at my daughter's functions, I am not there to watch my daughter, I'm there to watch everyone else....and I tell the kids that try and cause problems, that I am not there to ruin their night, I am there to stop them from ruining the other kids' night.

I think this thread needs an after action report update after the next dance.

No Expert

The above are my feelings exactly. My 6th grade dance was in no way a sexual experience. I don't know about yours, but my school's administrators were not stereotypical liberal morons bent on destroying America's youth. My school's administration was made up of mostly conservative parents. They ran a tight ship. The dance floor, the bathrooms, the halls, etc were all monitored. To get into the dance you had to pass our VP who made sure all clothing was appropriate. Our security officer inspected all bags coming in.

We were shy at that age and very self-conscious so dancing was limited to slow dancing for the most part. The administration made sure we didn't dance too closely as well. In fact I wouldn't even call these events "dances." Most of the time we just hung out, ate, and laughed a lot. It's really just a glorified kids party.

There's some innocent fascination in what courtship might be like in the future, but the exploration of that is pretty limited in scope. You really don't have much to worry about. If it makes you feel better to chaperone, then by all means, but I think you should let your daughter attend. Or better yet, make it into some sort of deal. If you can chaperone, she can go to the dance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:56:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Stick to your first decision. I was not allowed to have a boyfriend until at least 8th grade. You'll be able to control her not going out on dates etc but she'll probably call him her bf in school. It'll be one of those things that they both talk about each other but barely see each other in school cause of different classes. Oh middle school relationships ... quite hilarious. Its harmless but I think letting her know she can't shows you care even if she won't admit it to you
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I remember when I was in  Junior High school.... I of the first girls I went out with got so mad after a movie one night. She was mad cuz I didn't go down her pants... Hell, After that... I triied everything with everyone I dated....I was a Virgin till 10th grade... But, Got alot of BJ's and stuff in Junior High... Most girls are looking for sex as much or more as the guys. So, Don't be fooled. (Sexual Revolution) You may want to talk with them alot and analyze what they say and how they say it. I don't mean to make them your buddy either. Just talk to them. Gain their trust. Try to not let it out that you realize they are full of Sh%$ when you catch them. But, Instead flow with how, and what is being said. Talk with your wife about it. Form a game plan. And bust them when you can. Always be on the look out for what seems abit fishy. Girls are sneakier than boys. Boys take more risk and worry less about getting caught. Girls try way to hard to conceal what they are up to. Make up BS stories. Therefore you can catch them before it happens or as it does. And don't ever think my lil angel would never do that. If that is your thoughts.... You'll be one of the many grandparents. Fact is that most likely they will have sex before or at10th grade. And there maybe not much you can do about it. There is a very fine line to be over bearing, (Createing Rebelous kids) and being a good parent triing to keep them out of trouble. IMHO. Heck we went to dances all the time. Got dropped off and picked up there. Never really seem to make it inside actually though. The school can't patrol what goes on outside of the property. Good luck on the road to the teenage world. ---Am glad I didn't have any girls...
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#15]
woops - disregard

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top