BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That may be one of the strongest guns ever made.

6.5?

Story I heard about just how strong goes: Guy buys 6.5 Arisaka gunstore sells him 7.7 Arisaka ammo. He fireforms the bullet to 6.5 mm without a kaboom. Finds out that he is making a mistake when he complains about the recoil.

Could be urban legend but they are stout......1945 made rifles perhaps not so much.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#2]
thats what  it looks like.
cant do pics but it appears to be in "decent" shape.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

6.5?

Story I heard about just how strong goes: Guy buys 6.5 Arisaka gunstore sells him 7.7 Arisaka ammo. He fireforms the bullet to 6.5 mm without a kaboom. Finds out that he is making a mistake when he complains about the recoil.

Could be urban legend but they are stout......1945 made rifles perhaps not so much.

This could be total BS too.......My dad had two of them after the war.  He said you could weld the end of the barrel shut and keep firing the rifle until you could not get another round in the chamber because the barrel was full.

Sounds hard to believe.

Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ok
did some research –– heres what i think i knotype 99  earlier model
no "mum"
no rust
7.7x58mm
nagoya arsenal
metal butt plate
open? bolt assembl
wood to about the last 3-4" of barrel top and bottom
its actually in decent shape not cracked or gouged in any way
the bayonet that came with it is @ 14-16" long
markings indicate kokura arsenal but made by unknown company under kokura
guidance
wouldnt shoot it though - unless i had experianced peolpes to guide and check
this thing out
will probly sell or trade it
give me an about figure to ask–– ball park

around here that one would go for somewhere between $125 and $175, if bayonet is included, personally I would not be afraid to shoot it with proper ammo as long as the barrel looks good and the bore is clear, the action works properly. They were strong rifles. But it is sound advice to have a gunsmith inspect it first.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well i see you have a life–– nothi better to do?
Quoted:
Quoted:
a lady just gave ne a type 99 arisaka to keep she didnt want it in the house
what the hell an i supposed to do with this thing!––keep it civil!
idont know a dann thing about these things!!!!!
maybe trade for some ammo? etc etc

Please trade your keyboard for one in which the "!" key does not stick, and the "shift" key does work.

And try to find one with the letters "a", "p", "n", "e", and "s" upon it which would have enabled you to finish spelling the word "Japanese"

gene5's troll account?
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mine was the family hand-me-down deer rifle. Its a bringback from my grandfather that was severally bubba-ized.
- stock forearm shortened at the barrel band
- barrel cut down to ~ 17"
- chamber was re-sized for .300Savage

It does still have the sun and characters on the receiver, and a full mum on the (non-matching) bolt.

The "mum" is on the receiver. Probably what you believe is the sun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2010 5:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
My 23 series Type 38. No cleaning rod in this pic.

Here's the receiver with intact mum and dust cover. The rifle is 100% numbers matching.

The pics were taken just after I brought it home. The cleaning rod came with it but wasn't in the stock because it wouldn't go all the way in. A little work with a steel rod knocked out the obstruction... a plug of dirt and black sand. I don't know where the soldier it was issued to was killed, but this rifle came with a piece of some pacific island in it. I still have the dirt in a bag. Might be a piece of Iwo Jima for all I know. I wish this thing could talk.

And yes, I've shot it. Pricey, but accurate and with light recoil.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#8]
yea  mine doesnt have that and the narkings
are just a little different.
what are the 2 holes ther for? escaping gas?
the tridder pull is somethig else!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 3:17:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please trade your keyboard for one in which the "!" key does not stick, and the "shift" key does work.

And try to find one with the letters "a", "p", "n", "e", and "s" upon it which would have enabled you to finish spelling the word "Japanese"

oh for pete's sake.

the PC shit has gone from a mere annoyance to an actual lifestyle for most people.

sad

I hear `ya man.  It makes people of average intelligence feel more smart when they nitpick over spelling and grammar bullshit on an informal forum.  They get double the kick when they can correct informal slang on the pretense that it is a politically incorrect or insensitive use of the word or description.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:23:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sell it to me for $175, $225 if it has the mum(little flower on top of the receiver)
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Isn't the real difference between 7.7 Jap machine gun and rifle ammo that one is rimmed and the other semi-rimmed?

[/quote]
MG ammo semi rimmed, standard is not IIRC. A friend f mine has 3 of these that I've been trying to buy from him for years-All with mum.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

6.5?

This could be total BS too.......My dad had two of them after the war.  He said you could weld the end of the barrel shut and keep firing the rifle until you could not get another round in the chamber because the barrel was full.

Sounds hard to believe.

There was a guy who tested that-grossly overcharged some handloads to see what the action could take. Blew a barrel off and the bolt and receiver were still fine. Is it a good idea? Obviously not. However,, the action is one of the strongest available. It's funny more haven't been lost to custom build projects.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
As stated, this is a VERY strong action.  After the war they were all over the place.  My Dad cut one down and made a deer rifle for me.  My brother traded it for dope when I went to the army.  I recently got another and will make my own ammo.  I got one box of Norma ammo and 100 pieces of brass from Graf's.  That will be enough for the perfect specimen I have.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I have three and just sold a fourth. 2 are last ditch and the other a decent 99. One has Chinkai Korea 1945 carved into the buttstock. It was a big Jap navy port during the war.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
depending on when it was made, it may not even be safe to fire. The last ditch versions that I see often are pieces of shit. Does it have a wood butt plate? What shape is the bolt knob: pear or barrel shaped? Does it still have the crysanthimum on the receiver ring. Does it have "wings" on the rear site? does it have a monopod?

Lots of questions. It could be a nice vet bring back and it could be a kaboom waiting to happen.

This is a common misconception about these rifles

even the late war Arisaka are perfectly safe to fire as long as headspace checks out

There were a very few emergency use only type 99 rifles made that are not safe to fire but they are very rare

eta, I have a 3rd series Nagoya and it is very fun to shoot, a great rifle all around

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/acochr16/DSCN0955.jpg

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp230/acochr16/DSCN0962.jpg

There are also some cast iron training rifles out there. You can tell them pretty quick by the rough finish. The barrel on mine unscrews by hand. But it chambers live rounds and I believe it would fire as well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:07:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
yea  mine doesnt have that and the narkings
are just a little different.
what are the 2 holes ther for? escaping gas?
the tridder pull is somethig else!

The holes are to vent gases in the event of a case rupture. Part of what makes the design so tough.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Isn't the real difference between 7.7 Jap machine gun and rifle ammo that one is rimmed and the other semi-rimmed?
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have an Arisaka , don't shoot it much but its fun to shoot . A few years ago I bought 60 pcs. of Norma new brass and a set of Lee dies . Most of the surplus ammo if you can find it is machine gun ammo and its too hot to shoot in the rifles .

SW

I thought the Japanese MGs were designed to take the clipped ammo of the rifles in a pinch.  

I'm not sure about the MG's . I was told that the machine gun ammo was not safe to shoot in the rifles .

IIRC.....
The Japanese used three diff types of 7.7 ammo.  Rimless, semi rimmed & a rimmed (more or less .303 for a knock-off Lewis Gun they made).
Plus one of the original light MGs was designed to use stripper clipped rifle ammo dumped into a hopper...but the standard load was a bit too sporty so they ended up having a special lighter MG load.  The Arisaka action has been shown to be hell for stout & able to shrug off proof loads that would totally grenade a M98 Mauser or M1917 Enfield
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
i must thank all who contributed useful info
in this thread. have learned alot in a short time -thnx
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top