User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:10:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quit?

I would get myself fired in the most awesome way I could think of at the time.

This... I wouldn't do anything extreme, but I would slowly push the envelope and see what it takes to get fired... Knowing how that company works, id probably fuck my self into a promotion...

We must work for the same company
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What?

They don't have phones in Southern France I could call them from to say I'm not coming back?
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd continue to go to work.  But, honestly, I'd dress as if I was just coming from or just going to the country club to play a round of golf, rather than adhering to the dress code.  After a while, someone would decide to give a shit, and come out to chew me out, or call me up to the office to chew me out.

I see myself, dresed in a mix of plaid and argyle, looking like some kind of colour blind pimp, putting my feet up on someones desk, taking a drink of scotch and saying "lemme guess....... i'm fired?"
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'd quit but I have been there for years and have been treated very well

I'd make sure the company was flush to keep operating for a few years  if things get even more austere in the economy

and depending on level of money all my co-workers would get at least new vehicles if not new houses

This except for all of the coworkers part. If I won half a billion, I'd give a few select coworkers significant amounts of money.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
If I won the lottery, no one out side my family would ever see me again.  I'd transfer all my property into my wife's name, and my SSAN would never be used again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quit?

I once tried to kiss the woman that fired me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:36:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quit? Hell, I'd buy the company and fire my boss! THEN I'd quit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I think I would pay off all my bills, buy a house and then just continue to work my regular job and put the rest of my winnings in savings for my retirement. However this probably wouldn't work considering I am in the Military and I have heard that they seperate you if you win the lottery, so I would probably just work at Walmart as a greeter or something that requires the leasty amount of work possible while still making money.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quit?

Fuck you,fuck you,fuck you,you're cool,and fuck you im out!
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I would take all of my vacation and floating holidays first, then maybe stick around for another week being a smug asshole to all the people I don't like.

Then I'd disappear.  Probably end up in a modest cabin on a nice lake somewhere that has cheap property taxes.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:22:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I would forget to quit....too busy.

Amazing that the idea of having a large amount of money can bring out the personality of an individual...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Why is that amazing?  Seems like par for the course.

If I'm on fire, I'm not going to be calm, cool, collected, and an easygoing fellow.  I'm going to scream and flail about.

If I'm suddenly wealthy, I'm not going to act like I have to work for a living.  I have to drive an old Toyota truck now––I win $300M, I'm going to buy a new truck.  

Don't get me wrong––I'd still work––but it would be for myself, doing something I love, rather than something I have to do to survive.

My Dad's 82 and still works...If I win, he'll never work again.  Does that mean his personality is changed?  Is that bad?

Yeah, I'd be different if I won...I think anybody would be.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why is that amazing?  Seems like par for the course.

If I'm on fire, I'm not going to be calm, cool, collected, and an easygoing fellow.  I'm going to scream and flail about.

If I'm suddenly wealthy, I'm not going to act like I have to work for a living.  I have to drive an old Toyota truck now––I win $300M, I'm going to buy a new truck.  

Don't get me wrong––I'd still work––but it would be for myself, doing something I love, rather than something I have to do to survive.

My Dad's 82 and still works...If I win, he'll never work again.  Does that mean his personality is changed?  Is that bad?

Yeah, I'd be different if I won...I think anybody would be.

IDK it just seems bad to bail on someone in such a manner despite them keeping you employed and a roof over your head, and food in your kids mouths.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 12:36:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm retired, no problem for me, just more work for our travel agent.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Guy down here in Fl got murdered because he won...

There are LOTS of horror stories regarding what happened to mega jackpot winners.....
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#16]
A couple of co-workers and I have a deal.

If one of us wind the big one, they set up the other two with a couple of million each. Then they can do whatever they want.

I would keep working for my current employer, but not as often and not nearly as hard.

Pay off my bills, keep a little to spend like an idiot, then invest the rest in a toilet paper company.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#17]
If my company decided today that they didn't need me any longer I wouldn't have a job tomorrow. Why should I treat them differently if I no longer need the job?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:43:20 AM EDT
[#18]
why do most winners seem to choose the lump sum cash payment instead of the yearly?  you end up only getting about half the money that way...

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:44:34 AM EDT
[#19]

IF I gave my two weeks notice, it would be immediately followed by me taking two of my weeks of accrued vacation.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:54:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I don't know how it is in other states, but in Oregon the names of winners are part of public record. There is no hiding it here.

Yeah gotta have that pic with that giant novelty size check.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
why do most winners seem to choose the lump sum cash payment instead of the yearly?  you end up only getting about half the money that way...  

Because the interest rate they base the long term payout on is shit.  A good financial planner can do much better.

Quoted:
If my company decided today that they didn't need me any longer I wouldn't have a job tomorrow. Why should I treat them differently if I no longer need the job?

Exactly.  I'm gonna call in sick for a couple of days and load up on Mexican food, pickled eggs, and draft beer.  Then I'm walking into the CEO's office and taking a fat shit on his desk.  Motherfucker gave himself a 115% raise last year and gave us peons 2% "Because of the bad economy."  Then I'm heading to my Director's office for round 2.

My immediate boss and the guys in the shop would be well taken care of.

ETA:  On second thought, I'd work my two weeks notice before I did this.  That way they'd have to pay me the 320+ hours of PTO I've got banked.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Meh, knowing you can quit anytime would make work a whole lot more fun, IMO.

But then I actually enjoy what I do.

One of our VPs was just talking about this... he enjoyed the idea of not having to worry about pissing people off and being able to speak his mind instead of worrying about the politics of keeping his job.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:05:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Give them two weeks notice, your business is your own.

I'd walk in & quit then take my stuff. When they fire others, they give them a notice?
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:05:21 AM EDT
[#24]
I would show up, in uniform, on time with a couple lawyers, walk into the CMC's office and tell him that I am not coming back, process me out immediately, sell back my leave just to be a smart ass, turn in my CaC and restricted area pass, and let them know any further correspondance can be handled by my attorneys.  Then walk out.  

And when they stop me to ask who the fuck I think I am, I will explain that I am worth several hundred million dollars and there are few issues that that kind of wealth cannot solve and advise them to be part of the solution, not the problem.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Pig carcass in a burning sub with some of your pulled teeth
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:17:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It would be business as usual until the money was actually in my bank account.  I'm a pessimist.    

Yup....
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:20:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Meh, knowing you can quit anytime would make work a whole lot more fun, IMO.

But then I actually enjoy what I do.

This.  Minus the enjoying what you do part.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:26:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Bingo
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:26:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quit?

This.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:32:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Damn right I'm coming in, I'm not leaving my toolbox here for these vultures.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:36:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quit?

This.  

Absolutely. It would be legendary...

For the record, I'll take the yearly payout instead of the lump sum... I'm still kinda young, and that way I don't end up broke after 3 years like those other people you hear about
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:36:42 AM EDT
[#32]
I'd keep my job if I won.

I love it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:39:15 AM EDT
[#33]

It's a little harder in VA because all winnings are made public(name and home town). Per VA law it is not possible to claim a prize anonymously(it's an open book accounting thing). My plan is to wait 6 months, claim the prize, change my name then move to Scottsdale, AZ. With that much money I can buy better ID than the FBI could provide.

The good news for me is, I'll be buying a ticket in a state that allows for anonymous claims.

As for the work problem. My contract is up in 6 months. It wouldn't be renewed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:39:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quit?

This... I wouldn't do anything extreme, but I would slowly push the envelope and see what it takes to get fired... Knowing how that company works, id probably fuck my self into a promotion...

We must work for the same company

The three of us might.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:52:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I've got too much responsibility to just walk away.  If I won I would give them till the end of April to find my replacement so I could train whomever with what they need then I would retire to my new property in the country somewhere with my new and excitingly large gun collection and personal shooting range.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:55:50 AM EDT
[#36]
I'd show up as usual until I had the money in my account. Then, i'd continue to show up and work but I would ignore rules that wouldn't cause any safety issues...basically do the job without having to work with one arm tied behind my back. Then once management got sick of my antics, I'd quit.

I would just have fun with it, not worrying about getting in trouble or fired.

Then I would spread rumors about why/how I left. I got the manager pregnant, or I got arrested for some ridiculous crime, or that I got locked up in the looney bin...just to screw with people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 2:56:51 AM EDT
[#37]
They're going to know I won.  I work for a small business and like the owner very much. He's going to get a parting gift.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:02:04 AM EDT
[#38]
I'd be done working instantly, no question about it!  I'd be on a beach by Monday morning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:05:17 AM EDT
[#39]
At least two weeks notice.  Good company.  It would take me that long to get a legal, accounting and financial planning team pulled together and under contract to manage the rest of my soon-to-be-lazy life.

On the last day, I would be a ghost...and Momma and I would start traveling the world in style.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:08:24 AM EDT
[#40]
I would never go back.

Shit, if I was working when I found out that I won, I'd tell my officer that I just won the lottery and that I was going home.

And then I'd leave.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Come in on Monday and pinch a load on the boss's desk or something like that

Yeah I fuckin hate my job... just waiting till after the wedding to find something else and give them the middle finger.

One thing for sure is that I'd go into work one last night and just take a nap all night. Seems to be OK for one of my coworkers...
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:24:40 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Whatever i did, IT WOULD BE FUCKING EPIC and people would talk about is for YEARS after i quit.

Quoted:
I'd continue to go to work.  But, honestly, I'd dress as if I was just coming from or just going to the country club to play a round of golf, rather than adhering to the dress code.  After a while, someone would decide to give a shit, and come out to chew me out, or call me up to the office to chew me out.

I see myself, dresed in a mix of plaid and argyle, looking like some kind of colour blind pimp, putting my feet up on someones desk, taking a drink of scotch and saying "lemme guess....... i'm fired?"

I could see myself doing that, except add in drinking some fine scotch while on the job.  See how long it takes management or HR to stop by...  "Well shit, this is gold label, excuse my manners and let me pour you a glass."
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:25:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
dont ya think?  because if you call in sick on saturday or the following monday, and never show up again, people are gonna know you won.  

so, how do you deal with the work situation?

continue to work for a few weeks so people forget about the lotto and then say you got a job somewhere else?  you will still have people figure it out once you go to claim the prize and they see that it was won in your town.   i guess by that time, you should have already moved.

they would get a fed ex box with all my equipement, dept keys and a PObox number to forward my last paycheck and all my pension stuff too. I would never to be heard from again (atleast to them).

J-
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:29:41 AM EDT
[#44]
My 2 weeks notice would be delivered in the form of me doing doughnuts in the parking garage at my office building in my new Lamborghini.

That's pretty much how subtle I'd be, and then, like Keyser Söze "like that, poof. He's gone."

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Give them two weeks notice, your business is your own.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:39:21 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

For the record, I'll take the yearly payout instead of the lump sum... I'm still kinda young, and that way I don't end up broke after 3 years like those other people you hear about

Even with the yearly payout, I'm sure quite a few jackpot winners have sold it to JG Wentworth for fifteen cents on the dollar.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:39:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I would go in and work as usual.

Over the course of the next few months, after all things were in order, I would offer my co- workers a large sum of money to line up at the bosses office and one after the other, go in and quit on the spot.

The sit back and watch management go in and try to do the job that they have no idea how to do.

As for myself, I would hire a homeless man to go in and work for me.  When management asked them who they were, he would hand them a note saying "FUCK YOU>  I QUIT ASSHOLE".
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm pretty certain even if I won all of kind Midas' silver I'd still have my ass in a sling if I didn't show up for PT monday morning.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I'm pretty certain even if I won all of kind Midas' silver I'd still have my !@#$%^&* in a sling if I didn't show up for PT monday morning.

Isn't there a barracks lawyer legend that if you come into great wealth you can get our of your enlistment contract?  If not, I guess you could at least kick it up a notch from buying a pristine inspection set of TA-50, and instead buy a pristine inspection set of everything you use in your MOS, even up to a fully equipped Apache.

Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#50]
id go in for an hour or so...look around, take in my last day.

then in the words of a great thinker say..
"Fuck you guys,..Im going home"
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top