BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/26/2015 4:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember when;

There was no ARFcom

You got spanked at school, with a board , called a paddle...the ones with holes drilled in them seemed to hurt more.

And somehow your parents knew when you got home.  So your mom spanked you...and said wait till your dad get home...and then he spanked you.

If you had a hunting permit, you could bring your rifle to school, store it in your locker and get out early cause hunting started at noon in AZ.

Could bring your rifle to school to bed it, repair broken stock...etc. ( test fire it at the football field after your fixed it also )

Disco was cool....

After school you grabbed your .22 rifle and walked down the street , across the highway, and into the countryside to shoot whatever... and no one thought anything of it.

we played cowboys and Indians at school ( I wasn't always an Indian either ), and it wasn't racist, and bring cap guns...who cared?

Didn't know anyone that was gay, never heard of it...and Aids was a teachers assistant in your school..

Made enough money working at restaurants during high school to have a nice dirt bike, street bike, and Pontiac Firebird before I got out of high school. And had enough to take girls out on dates, travel to Flagstaff, ( 120 miles away) for a movie and dinner and I don't recall ever , EVER thinking about the price of gas being a factor....  before I was out of high school!!!

Bullets....buy them anywhere and any amount...

No Wal-Mart...K-mart was a big store.

Motel 6 was like  $7 a night I remember when I got out of Air Force...$9 for a room was easy to find...and it blew me away when it got to $12 a night...

LEO's didn't have military weapons of any kind , and the cars said "To serve and protect"

Your prayed at the opening of town meetings.

We sang patriotic songs when school started in the morning...everyday...said the Pledge, and a prayer.

When I got to college and I took a Computer class...we did our programming in FORTRAN  , and used punch cards....go help you if you dropped a couple hundred cards and forgot to number them ( I never forgot )

Transistors were so high tech that when we saw one we drooled.

My first computer had 526K of memory...thought I could run a country with that....

The students in my Electronics class...fixed all the school audio visual equipment...
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
My first computer had 48K - expanded later to 64K - and had two 5¼ inch floppy drives and eventually a 20 Megabyte Hard Drive.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember when there was no internet and people were help accountable for how they interacted with others.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I remember when;

There was no ARFcom

You got spanked at school, with a board , called a paddle...the ones with holes drilled in them seemed to hurt more.

And somehow your parents knew when you got home.  So your mom spanked you...and said wait till your dad get home...and then he spanked you.

If you had a hunting permit, you could bring your rifle to school, store it in your locker and get out early cause hunting started at noon in AZ.

Could bring your rifle to school to bed it, repair broken stock...etc. ( test fire it at the football field after your fixed it also )

Disco was cool....

After school you grabbed your .22 rifle and walked down the street , across the highway, and into the countryside to shoot whatever... and no one thought anything of it.

we played cowboys and Indians at school ( I wasn't always an Indian either ), and it wasn't racist, and bring cap guns...who cared?

Didn't know anyone that was gay, never heard of it...and Aids was a teachers assistant in your school..

Made enough money working at restaurants during high school to have a nice dirt bike, street bike, and Pontiac Firebird before I got out of high school. And had enough to take girls out on dates, travel to Flagstaff, ( 120 miles away) for a movie and dinner and I don't recall ever , EVER thinking about the price of gas being a factor....  before I was out of high school!!!

Motel 6 was like  $7 a night I remember when I got out of Air Force...$9 for a room was easy to find...and it blew me away when it got to $12 a night...

LEO's didn't have military weapons of any kind , and the cars said "To serve and protect"

We sang patriotic songs when school started in the morning...everyday...said the Pledge, and a prayer.

When I got to college and I took a Computer class...we did our programming in FORTRAN  , and used punch cards....go help you if you dropped a couple hundred cards and forgot to number them ( I never forgot )

My first computer had 526K of memory...thought I could run a country with that....

The students in my Electronics class...fixed all the school audio visual equipment...

View Quote
Disco was never cool.

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To the old guys...........remember those mimeograph machines?

View Quote

The smell.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The New York Times on or about December 7, 1941.  Reading the texts of the Japanese, German and Italian declarations of war against the US makes for an interesting - and very scratchy - read.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu3iCvAQCHg

Yes, do you know what this is?  I used it all the time.

http://www.worldmicrographics.com/gallery/Indus/4601_a3u_lg.jpg
What do you fiche for?

The New York Times on or about December 7, 1941.  Reading the texts of the Japanese, German and Italian declarations of war against the US makes for an interesting - and very scratchy - read.

Older, much older.  hST major, colonial newspapers
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:09:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
also remember video rental stores and renting VHS movies

I was kind and always rewound my tapes before returning them
View Quote

Beta
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:16:39 PM EDT
[#8]

I remember those, the can was the best thing about 'em

Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I could leave my parents house on an atv and ride all day wo issue
We could survive wo cell phones
Men acted like men
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Air raid siren drill..I heard them couple years ago in OK for tornadoes. .scared the shit out of me.
View Quote

May 2004, closing on my old house, the monthly test went off, panicked no pro mask no rifle....March 2003 in Kuwait before crossing is still embedded
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I remember when;

There was no ARFcom

Disco was cool....

View Quote

Great post, I remember all of that.

Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My first computer had 48K - expanded later to 64K - and had two 5¼ inch floppy drives and eventually a 20 Megabyte Hard Drive.
View Quote

My first "computer" was a Tandy that used a cassette to save and load programs.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember when Cassette Tapes were THE thing to listen and/or record music to.  Some of the pieces of music I have on tape I haven't been able to find on DVD or elsewhere.

I also remember 8-Track tapes.  Never did get more than couple of those.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I remember when Cassette Tapes were THE thing to listen and/or record music to.  Some of the pieces of music I have on tape I haven't been able to find on DVD or elsewhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember my father having this big reel to reel recorder that he used to record songs from the radio, then he would go back and type all of the words to the songs, with this big manual typewriter. Some songs he would have to rewind and play parts of, many times, to figure out what the words were.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:03:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I well remember reel to reel recorders too. The setups were awesome.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember the girlie calendars hanging in greasy old garages.

Schwinn Sting Rays were the shit.  I had a knock-off from Western Auto.  

I remember when kids stayed off my damn lawn!  
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King.
View Quote

Now that is one thing I am NOT nostalgic about.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
in north carolina... we had seniors, ( 17-18 year old kids) driving the school buses as part time jobs.

our driver... would not stop for the jehovia witness kid... he had to run and jump thru the bus doors in the morning while we maintained about 10mph..... and leap off in the afternoon the same way..
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember when rap was lightly knocking on something to gain the attention of someone otherwise preoccupied.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
GL48481 - Time and temperature

Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
...my dad going to the gas station and getting $2 regular about once a week.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember,

Rat Fink in the 60's
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember,

Rat Fink in the 60's
View Quote

Fuck . . . you're just a kid.

Roth was selling airbrushed "Weirdo" t-shirts at southern CA car shows, and in Car Craft magazine, in the late 1950's.

ddbn
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember when Christmas Season didn't start until AFTER the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade showed Santa on his sleigh.

I heard the First Christmas song today on the radio.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You could smoke in Burger King.
View Quote

I remember when you could smoke in Burger Chef.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:30:36 PM EDT
[#27]
My Cousin on the right.

Quoted:

Yea, well, do you remember these?
http://youtu.be/puGQsQux80k
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when..

telephones first became push buttons..
cellphones were science fiction..
you had to get up to change the channel
cable tv came about..and hbo was two movies each day
the first car phones rich people had...that really only worked in movies.
I did a walk-a-thon
shit was made in America...
the year 2000 was like so far into the future...it would never come.

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I remember when someone that asked for it got their dick knocked in the dirt and there were no mothers, police or lawyers involved in it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I remember how they smelled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember how they smelled.

In school when the teacher passed out copies, EVERYBODY sniffed the paper
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:20:39 PM EDT
[#30]
The 4-H held gun safety classes in the school cafeteria.

We never locked our door unless we were going out of town.

The entire community (extremely rural, widely scattered) was like one big extended family.

When you planted, you grew enough for everyone to help themselves. And they did likewise.
Someone would be growing whatever you needed, and if you were sick and couldn't come get it, they would bring it to you.

We might see a Deputy ride through about once a month, on his way to the next town. They once changed the colors of their cars and I didn't know for almost a year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#31]
We had candy cigarettes with a little red tip & my mom telling the old lady down the street to hang her phone up, it was our ring.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:31:01 PM EDT
[#32]
I actually owned a car I used to start with a hand crank
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I remember when rock was young

Me and Suzie had so much fun...

Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Gas as low as .18 per gallon when stations would have what we called gas wars...normal price was around .23 or .25 gallon.
Cigarettes .55 a pack for shorts and .60 for 100s and you could get them from a cigarette machine.
We got .50 a week allowance and could by a small bag of candy that would last a couple of days.
When we landed on the Moon.
When you didn't have to put up with PC bullshit.
When kids respected adults.
When our country was a strong proud and feared country.
and sooooooo much more!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember when 6 RC cola bottle caps and a quarter would get you into the Saturday movie matinee.....................My Mom smacking me for drinking out of the "Colored" water fountain at Publix...............Riding the roller coaster at the amusement park with a ticket from buying a gallon of gas at a Super Test gas Station...........................seeing the Beatles live on the Ed Sullivan show...............Watching the first color broadcast of Walt Disney..........................when iodine went on every scratch or cut.

Great times, back then.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My Cousin on the right.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
My Cousin on the right.

Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when..

telephones first became push buttons..
cellphones were science fiction..
you had to get up to change the channel
cable tv came about..and hbo was two movies each day
the first car phones rich people had...that really only worked in movies.
I did a walk-a-thon
shit was made in America...
the year 2000 was like so far into the future...it would never come.

Thank you for that... Though I don't remember everything in the song, I remember most of them. Sad thing, I had forgotten that song, until now...

Lone Eagle
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
GM made good cars. Sears sold guns & ammo.
View Quote

The first new rifle I  bought  was a Ruger 10-22 from Sears.  iIrc it was $79.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:12:00 AM EDT
[#38]
JC Penny ( I think ) had rifles in their catalogs.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The 4-H held gun safety classes in the school cafeteria.

View Quote

Still do it here.  4H shotgun sports starts in 3rd grade.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#40]

I remember when traffic cones and blinkers were not yet in use, and the city had to make do with sawhorses and smudge pots.

Our roads were sprayed with liquid asphalt and chat was spread over it.

Ice came from an ice house...with a guy inside to send it out.

A store having a/c was a big deal.  "WE HAVE AIR CONDITIONING" on a sign in the window.

Our Five and Dime had wooden floors.

Fishing bobbers weren't plastic yet, but were painted cork.

We had ditches in front of houses in town.

Link Posted: 11/21/2015 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#41]
I remember the shitty remote we got for our black and white TV. We had CBS, NBC, ABC and UHF (I think).
I remember when they first started playing rock on A FM station.
When I first started going to concerts, they were about $5 for a tix. I remember being pissed when the Stones were $15 in 1975. Of course, they had Rufus and Atlanta Rhythm Section with them, so it made it more cost effective. There may have been more bands, but damn if I can remember...
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#42]
It was a small town and before we moved to NYC:

When you picked up a phone to call somebody, you gave the Operator the phone number you wanted.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember seeing this dag on TV

Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:15:27 AM EDT
[#44]
I remember when:

We had no running water.
We had an outhouse.
A wood stove was your winter heat source and an open window was the A/C.
All four of us kids slept in the same room.
A four party phone was normal.
Just after thanksgiving was hog killing time.
Our road was gravel and the bridges over the creeks were made of wood.
AM radio was cool.
The TV stations signed off with the national anthem.
We prayed in school even though it was supposed to be against the law.
Folks were ashamed to be on the govt handout.  
Before WalMart.
Our cousin Ronnel was killed in Vietnam.  RIP LCpl Waugh.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#45]
I can remember when There Was No Such Thing as Bar Codes.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Returnable Bottles
Cigarette Machines
Barning Tobacco
Opening of annual tobacco auction
You could buy cigarettes at any age (I used to get my grandfather's from the store when I was 5).

[

Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#47]
I can remember when the yardage tags on the middle of a football field were about equal distance from the sidelines; before they were moved closer together.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#48]
…when the letters PC didn't stand for anything.
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 8:56:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Disco was never cool.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember when;

There was no ARFcom

Disco was cool....

Disco was never cool.

Ditto!
Link Posted: 12/16/2015 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top