BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This thread has more than a kansas city stockyard.

Maybe some figured how many push ups you can do on the internet
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Not doing floppers, I can put out about 50-70. When I didn't do them right like most people do, maybe about 80-90. If you watch, most people just bend their back so they don't get all of their torso weight. Kind of like most people curl when lifting weights. They throw their arms around and do tons more than you. Then you show them how to lift properly and they can't do 5. I also like the sit up machines with the arm braces above you that are connected to the pad you lay on. That way you can use your arms too and not excercise your abs. I can do about a thousand on those, but REAL sit ups about 80. Don't believe the hype!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I usually do 125 in 60 seconds then rest 10 minutes and do it again, but I dont go all the way and touch my chest on the ground, I breath in as I go down and breath out as I push up very rapidly.

I never do much more than 150 without stopping because it starts to feel like Im over working my muscles. I prefer to do sets rather than max out and do them all at once.

I am going to call bs, maybe I am crazy but your saying you can do 1.5 push ups per second for 60 seconds straight non stop.

Cany ou run the mile in the high 3's? as well?

I do this 6 days a week for my upper body workout, doing 1.5 push ups in a second is not really that difficult when your only about 5 ft 7" and weigh around 155, I feel light as a feather when I do push ups. for big guys 6 ft + over 200 lbs, it would probably be much more difficult because of the longer arms and extra weight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
so you're saying your chest touches the ground and then it's back up to full extension on every rep?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Normally 70 to 78 on the APFT.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#6]
3-5
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Non-stop: 103.  

We used to do them a lot in my martial arts class. When we got a new student, my instructor would ask, "Can you do 10 push-ups ?" Just about everyone would say yes. Then we would do what he called "Walking push-ups". You would do one push-up, get up, walk across the room and back, then immediately do two push-ups, get up, walk across the room and back and then immediately do three push-ups, etc.  It seems easy at first, but by the time you hit 8 or 9, some people would struggle. The class record was 30 walking push-ups non-stop, or a total of 465 push-ups.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did 21 and think I better call 911, OMG I am tired!!!  Damn I am out of shape!!!

I used to be able to between 60 and 70 "correct" pushups during a PT test, with the first 50 or so in the first minute, I hated dong pushups for 2 minutes, so I made the minimum as fast as I could.  In the down position, I would have the straight line from elbow to elbow when doing so.  In the up position, I would fully extend my arms and lock my elbows for each rep.  Only had a handful, around 10 or so, were not counted in 10 yrs of doing pushups.  The most I ever did was 88 in 2 minutes and that was a bitch.

My last year in, when I knew I was getting out, I would do the 42 required for an 18 yr old kid, in the first minute and then stop and put my knees on the ground.  As long as I passed I was happy.  

I used to watch a SSG who would do 120+ every PT test.  He would never break the plane on the way down, nor would he lock his elbows on the way up.  He talked more shit about how many he could do.  So one day a bunch of us got him to agree to do them porperly.  He could only knock out 85 and was exhausted.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#9]
>50 right now.

Came within 1 pushup of maxing out that category of my USNA PAE (71/72). Got halfway back up, and I just couldn't go any more. Legs twitched out from under me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
about 6, I'm in sucky shape atm
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I slacked way off last year - started back at it around July - was doing 40 perfect form push ups in the morning 5 days a week until around Thanksgiving...

I took a foul tip (see my avatar) off of my left big toe in August.  Now my big toe nail is about to come off, and hurts like hell when I try to do a regular push up.

So, I tried these ones that a buddy of mine could do years ago when his hamstring was torn; put the injured leg on top of the good leg.

I can do about 20 of those - some people can do them easily - not me.  It's tough to keep the back straight, etc.  Doing them poorly (poor form) is a waste of time.

Some days I can do more, just depends on how tough work is.  I've been working off a 10 and 12 foot ladders for two weeks or so, and hauling them around all day tires the arms.

Getting old sucks.

EDIT:  Oh yeah...doing 4 count push ups is easier than 2 count push ups for me...some weird mental deal, I guess.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
This thread has more than a kansas city stockyard.

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I use to do 3 sets of 100. I quit and bought a bowflex because my hands started going numb becuase the circulation was cut off. I have no idea how many i can do now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you talking exercise.........or feeling under bras?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Usually around 60-65 in 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#16]
none.

It seems to much like exersize to me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#17]
~30--then i quit
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#18]
40-50
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top