BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah.  I didn't realize just how ho-hum some Roman food was until I got to Florence.  Now those are some people who take eating to a whole different level.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How do you go on vacation to a place like Rome and consciously decide to cook your own meals and pack your own sandwiches?  Part of experiencing the local culture is enjoying the local food.  Preparation is key when it comes to food, which means the locals need to prepare it too.  I can understand the occasional fare from an open air market or supermarket and I agree with avoiding corporate chains, but the majority of your meals should come from small restaurants on the local economy.  It doesn't have to break the budget, but you should plan to spend some money to make the most of the experience.

Eh...when I went to Rome,most of the food was mediocre at best.  Of course, I was in the touristy area and I couldn't pick a decent place to save my life.  Later on, some Italian friends showed me some good restaurants, which were pretty amazing; but there is no shortage of shitty, expensive, high-end dining in Rome.
Yeah.  I didn't realize just how ho-hum some Roman food was until I got to Florence.  Now those are some people who take eating to a whole different level.

Bologna for food.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Been there twice and loved every minute of it! The first time I went I didnt know much about Roman history. When I returned home I devoured every book I could find. When I went back in 2012 I appreciated it more due to the fact that I knew what that building was or what that arch represented. I cant wait to go back again!

Hail Caesar, BITCHES!

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How do you go on vacation to a place like Rome and consciously decide to cook your own meals and pack your own sandwiches?  Part of experiencing the local culture is enjoying the local food.  Preparation is key when it comes to food, which means the locals need to prepare it too.  I can understand the occasional fare from an open air market or supermarket and I agree with avoiding corporate chains, but the majority of your meals should come from small restaurants on the local economy.  It doesn't have to break the budget, but you should plan to spend some money to make the most of the experience.
View Quote

On that note, let me just say that it is the Seventh Circle of Hell to visit Germany with a bunch of fracking vegans in your group.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On that note, let me just say that it is the Seventh Circle of Hell to visit Germany with a bunch of fracking vegans in your group.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell them to eat the garnish. Or the lawn outside.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:06:46 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
agree 100%, the pantheon is what floored me the most as well.  and what is it with the germans and turks??  not only was jointly screwing up east/west empires not enough for them, but they had to start 2 world wars as well.

and I never new they still use the term SPQR to this day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been to Rome a dozen times or so.  To me, the most impressive thing I saw there was the Pantheon.  We were walking through some of the small side streets when we came across it.  Turned a corner and boom, there is a nearly 2000 year old concrete building and it is FUCKING HUGE.  Extremely impressive.

I think it's most impressive to me because it's still intact.  Incredible engineering.  I could only imagine what the Flavian looked like when it was in one piece.
Beautiful, beautiful city.

Yep.

The Pantheon is one of those things that should not be, but is right there with it's ass in everyones face in defiance.

The engineering and building techniques that were "lost" until the late 1800's, and materials that weren't "Rediscovered" until the last 50 years or so.

Then when you're standing there eyeballing the frescoe brilliance a thought creeps in. "Why havn't we done anything this fucking awesome, with all of our advances?"

Then the ground rumbles a bit, and you remember the place gets hit with earthquakes on par with those that have destroyed our modern buildings, and has forever....yet the Coloseum, Pantheon, and ancient buildings still stand.

The Coloseum is pretty awesome when taken in visually, but it gets downright mind blowing when you narrow the focus a bit and start eyeballing the details of the structure that make it possible.

Simple, elegant details that overcome herculean challenges. The tapered Iron alloy tensioning pins, in the compression straps on every column, that allow gravity to reinforce the structure rather than fight it, while giving flexibility for seismic movement....and concrete that is stronger than anything we had developed, until it was directly replicated several years back.

We SUCK at bieng Roman.

A quick trip to Ostia just blows the mind, and it's too hard to take in without a couple days to get comfy with the reality of it.

If Rome hadn't fallen, where would we be now? Space age atomic Romans with electricity, by the 1,400's? earlier?

agree 100%, the pantheon is what floored me the most as well.  and what is it with the germans and turks??  not only was jointly screwing up east/west empires not enough for them, but they had to start 2 world wars as well.

and I never new they still use the term SPQR to this day.

Rome did not make the transition from a slave/cheap labor based economy to a more market driven one.  There was no incentive for technological innovation and labor saving devices.  

Couple that with the incredible infighting that pitted Roman -v- Roman and the recipe for downfall had developed.  

In fact, one can argue that the Roman Catholic Church, which survived the downfall, has delayed scientific advancement up to 500 years or so.  Imagine a moon landing in the 1550's?

IIRC, the last Byzantine Princess married a dirty "russian" and moved north.  FYI, we call them Byzantine's, but they considered themselves to be Roman.

Tzar is Russian for Caesar.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#6]
OP, anywhere is awesome compared to Somolia.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I know. :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

One of the best things about traveling is it really makes you appreciate what you enjoy about home.  McDonalds was never one of those things for me.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spent almost a month in Italy several years ago. It was great. But still loved coming home to the good old USA. I was dying for some American fast food. I didn't eat pasta or tomatoes for a month. We did eat at one place that cooked a side of beef over a open pit fire and brought massive plates of sliced off meat to your table. It was great. That and the gallons of wine were fantastic.

You were in Italy and missing McDonalds?
One of the best things about traveling is it really makes you appreciate what you enjoy about home.  McDonalds was never one of those things for me.  

this.  when i was in thailand, i fell in love with the food.  but when i came back, the very first thing i did when i got off the airplane was haul ass to whataburger.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:18:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm jealous.  Rome is a bucket list thing for me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Spent almost a month in Italy several years ago. It was great. But still loved coming home to the good old USA. I was dying for some American fast food. I didn't eat pasta or tomatoes for a month. We did eat at one place that cooked a side of beef over a open pit fire and brought massive plates of sliced off meat to your table. It was great. That and the gallons of wine were fantastic.

The McD's there have calzones and something called creamy stars... really tasty. Also - the McCafe is actually a higher end coffee shop with fresh deserts and such.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Been there twice and loved every minute of it! The first time I went I didnt know much about Roman history. When I returned home I devoured every book I could find. When I went back in 2012 I appreciated it more due to the fact that I knew what that building was or what that arch represented. I cant wait to go back again!
View Quote

yeah i did my homework before hand, went through 3 of the great courses series of lectures before I left:  history of ancient Rome, late antiquity, and Byzantium.  One of the lecturers said "presumably, had Remus killed Romulus instead of the other way around, wed be talking about the city of Reme."
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I studied in Budapest for 6 months in college and there was a fellow American student who liked to talk a lot about his vegetarianism.  He would make disapproving comments every time he saw a butcher shop or pigs on the way to market.  I always found it funny watching him eat at restaurants - I didn't have the heart to tell him that the chef probably started with 5 lbs of fatback when making the vegetable soup.

Regarding Rome - awesome city. My aunt was a nun who lived/worked near the Vatican and I visited her a few times.  Rome is all about walking 15 miles a day, eating granita every 3 hours, eating at random restaurants where you have to pantomime that they can bring you random food and you'll be happy . . and then peeling off socks that have turned black from exhaust every night.  Whenever I smell car exhaust I think of two things - 2 stroke outboard engines at the lake when I was a kid . .  and Rome.  Assume that you'll be pickpocketed and plan accordingly - wear your real wallet under your shirt and carry a dummy wallet with 5 bucks in it.  Note that it is proper etiquette to punch a 10 yr old gypsy in the face when he tries to rob you.  Remember that being in a strange and wonderful land doesn't mean you can act stupid - if you wouldn't walk home drunk at 1 am through that alley back home, don't do it there either.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:30:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Meh, Rome was OK.  Venice was better.  The drive from Venice to Rome was the best part of that trip.  Autostrada through the mountains. Driving in Rome was a bad choice on my part, it's kinda nuts, and that possibly has lead to my less than stellar memories.  Then again I have driven in Rome...so that's something.

Same trip I spent a week in Ireland....totally different flavor but damn that was a good time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah Rome is pretty fucking awesome. Visit the Vatican too. Florence is really nice too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#15]
We've been a ton of places around the globe, but Rome = best vacation of my life.

Spent 12 days there in 2012. First 3 were spent acclamating to the city and time-change at the Cavellieri on the outskirts. Then we transferred into the heart of downtown to the Albergo del Senato which literally overlooks the pantheon. It wasn't cheap but well worth every €uro: http://www.albergodelsenato.it

We wandered the streets every night til 2am. Had a money belt, but never had to deal with pickpockets (nor did we see any). I was with my 2 teenage sons so maybe they just didn't want to fuck with us. The Vatican was mind blowing and you pretty much give up trying to take it all in in one day. Protip: do not plan on standing in line in summer to pay for general admission. The day we went the line was almost a mile long and it was hot as hell out. Find and pay someone to take you in with their group = once again! worth every €uro!

Food wise, we ate frequently at Cafe Bernini on Piazza Navona. Made friends with the owner and he took us under his wing since my son (red hair/freckles) was a big hit with the locals.  If you look like a tourist, act like a tourist, and pick touristy places to eat -= expect tourist quality. We got off the beaten path into one neighborhood and found spectacular food, but had to have some bi-lingual locals help us order :)

While we didn't make it to Firenzi or Venice - we had such a great time I'd just go back to Rome again given the option. Glad you had fun. It truly is the trip of a lifetime!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A quick trip to Ostia just blows the mind, and it's too hard to take in without a couple days to get comfy with the reality of it.
If Rome hadn't fallen, where would we be now? Space age atomic Romans with electricity, by the 1,400's? earlier?
View Quote

i wonder the same thing myself often.  knowledge of concrete Romans knew was lost until "rediscovered" during the Renaissance, when some old Roman ruins were excavated.  and i think Will Durant says GDP/capita of the Romans wasn't matched until the Enlightenment/early-Industrial Period.

i shudder at what will happen when Pax Americana crumbles.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Rome is good stuff. The food!

Trevi Fountain is nice, my hotel was not too far from it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#18]
they just don't build stuff like they used to.

i was really surprised how expensive food was there. but i dont think the exchange rate helped....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I'd like to visit Rome some day, have been a lot of places, Italy has been missed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:49:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be a thread about the HBO series: Rome.

View Quote

Same here. OP should watch it if he hasn't.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Impossible, according to the intellectual giants on GD, small town Murica is the bees knees and anyone who disagrees is a liberal faggot.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#22]

I hope to go there in the next few years.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll be there first week in May and then headed to Austria for another week.    It has been so long.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#24]
my favorite city in the world. Stationed in Italy for 18 months, best tour ever. Have been trying to get back ever since, would go back just for the food and wine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I stayed here a few years ago.

Hotel Napoleon

Awesome Lasagna Bolognese.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Yep, cool place.  I wish I would have spent more time there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:37:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

i wonder the same thing myself often.  knowledge of concrete Romans knew was lost until "rediscovered" during the Renaissance, when some old Roman ruins were excavated.  and i think Will Durant says GDP/capita of the Romans wasn't matched until the Enlightenment/early-Industrial Period.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's even more shamefull than that.

The rough equivalent of Roman concrete was inferior until the 50's. Portland was still crappy in comparison and when it came to pouring footings in salt water, we didn't have anything close until just recently.

The new Maxxi museum was poured partially using the newly rediscovered mix, that allows pours to be thick as hell, without the usual troubles of Portland taking forever to cure.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-14/ancient-roman-concrete-is-about-to-revolutionize-modern-architecture

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2013/06/04/roman-concrete/

Then there's the harbor..Ostia.
Another reminder that Idiocracy isn't a comedy, it's a documentary,

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#28]
You guys that are mentioning bucket lists, and wanting to go...

Go.
Just fucking go.

Ya might be tits up with a stranger taking your boots off next week...just pick a damn day, call in the miles on the credit card and go.

Drag the Missus along, and if she gives you any lip about it, tell her it's a romantic surprise and the tickets are non refundable, and ya already found a place to have her new custom shoes made and can't back out without her feet bieng there.

It ain't expensive.
A cross country drive here will cost 3-4 grand all up. The same will get ya a week bumming around Italy in better accomodations than you'll find at the tourist shitholes here.

Try these guys.

The independent trips mean cheap airfare, rail passes and hotel rates, from there, you decide what to see and do within the region.
Day trips on the rails are easy from all three regions, and are CHEAP. Best part is the commuter rail lines are clean, neat, and comfy, and the Eurostar is awesome and CHEAP.

Get tired of looking at paintings of broads with gold frisbees on thier heads in Florence? Take a day trip to Pisa or a jaunt up to Bologna...or take a day to flit around Sienna.
Just over 3K for two for 8 days...in 3 and 4 star Hotels.
Beats the shit outta that queer mouse and a flea bag super 8 that will cost more.

http://www.gate1travel.com/italy-travel/italy-rail-8dromflrvcers14.aspx

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep. Rome rocks. The Vatican, Musei Vaticani are what really blew my mind though. St. Peters is probably the coolest building I've ever been in. I didn't comprehend the massive scale until I was inside of it. The Pietà is sitting right there in the corner. So Michelangelo made that when he was only 24, eh? Well my life's been pretty meaningful so far.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 2:36:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Sounds like a good trip...

Pretty amazing that while most of the world was filled with barbarians 2000 years ago, people managed to build this place:

http://vimeo.com/32038695
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The rough equivalent of Roman concrete was inferior until the 50's. Portland was still crappy in comparison and when it came to pouring footings in salt water, we didn't have anything close until just recently.

The new Maxxi museum was poured partially using the newly rediscovered mix, that allows pours to be thick as hell, without the usual troubles of Portland taking forever to cure.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-14/ancient-roman-concrete-is-about-to-revolutionize-modern-architecture

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They invented all the modern carpenter's tools. They had five story apartment buildings, and a four-story mall with 150 shops and offices.

Civilization REALLY fell after Rome.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They invented all the modern carpenter's tools. They had five story apartment buildings, and a four-story mall with 150 shops and offices.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you compare to the rest of the world, civilization didn't fall, it simply stopped progressing until the 1400's when it resumed slowly.

Everybody gives Hank Ford credit for the industrial revolution.
1900 years earlier, Romans were cranking out ships, chariots, arms, and seige machines using standardized dimensions and assembly lines.

If ya ever get back to Palatine hill and the Forum, take a look at the doors on the Forum.
Thanks to the Church taking it over, it is intact.
I started eyeballing the doors and one of the archeology guys that run tours in the off season caught me, and mentioned that they were original to the place.
Of course I called bullshit, and he smiled. Nope. Original Iron work, and original doors from the day the Church moved in.
Frigging things weigh half a ton each, and can be swung with a pinkie, on 2,200 year old hinges. Good luck finding slave labor that good today.

We are still picking up the pieces, to get back to advancing.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:25:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Everybody gives Hank Ford credit for the industrial revolution.
1900 years earlier, Romans were cranking out ships, chariots, arms, and seige machines using standardized dimensions and assembly lines.

View Quote

The Romans never had an actual Industrial Revolution. Several cultural and political factors held the Romans back. That said, their ability to field and fund armies was legendary.

The doors on the Palatine are incredible...everything about that place is incredible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Rome is a very cool place and fairly affordable to visit too. Hope you like gelato.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:38:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I like Roma
Pizza and beer at 10:00 pm
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#36]
I was too busy looking at all the scorching hot girls ride around on mopeds in sandels and skirts....
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.
The Pantheon is one of those things that should not be, but is right there with it's ass in everyones face in defiance.

The engineering and building techniques that were "lost" until the late 1800's, and materials that weren't "Rediscovered" until the last 50 years or so.

Then when you're standing there eyeballing the frescoe brilliance a thought creeps in. "Why havn't we done anything this fucking awesome, with all of our advances?"
Then the ground rumbles a bit, and you remember the place gets hit with earthquakes on par with those that have destroyed our modern buildings, and has forever....yet the Coloseum, Pantheon, and ancient buildings still stand.

The Coloseum is pretty awesome when taken in visually, but it gets downright mind blowing when you narrow the focus a bit and start eyeballing the details of the structure that make it possible.
Simple, elegant details that overcome herculean challenges. The tapered Iron alloy tensioning pins, in the compression straps on every column, that allow gravity to reinforce the structure rather than fight it, while giving flexibility for seismic movement....and concrete that is stronger than anything we had developed, until it was directly replicated several years back.

We SUCK at bieng Roman.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been to Rome a dozen times or so.  To me, the most impressive thing I saw there was the Pantheon.  We were walking through some of the small side streets when we came across it.  Turned a corner and boom, there is a nearly 2000 year old concrete building and it is FUCKING HUGE.  Extremely impressive.

I think it's most impressive to me because it's still intact.  Incredible engineering.  I could only imagine what the Flavian looked like when it was in one piece.

Beautiful, beautiful city.

Yep.

We SUCK at bieng Roman.

The fraility and fagility of all modern civilizations.

Humans.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

we wandered into France and could not find a place to eat....apparently they all close in the afternoon till dinner time.  finally found a Chinese place to eat.  ended up with some fucked up platters  as it was all in French and shit on the menu....
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Hmmm.......
Italy or Thailand.
I can't decide.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was too busy looking at all the scorching hot girls ride around on mopeds in sandels and skirts....
View Quote

The women there are exceptionally beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:14:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hmmm.......
Italy or Thailand.
I can't decide.
View Quote

Italy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:43:18 AM EDT
[#43]
oh, and aeroflot flight attendants are hella hawt.  heres one of their little saying that popped up on the screen that was featuring flight attendant quotes, and such:

catch admiring glances, and always be "in shape".  you are the face of the airline, be proud of it!

wonder why we dont see stuff like that here
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

oh, and aeroflot flight attendants are hella hawt.  heres one of their little saying that popped up on the screen that was featuring flight attendant quotes, and such:

catch admiring glances, and always be "in shape".  you are the face of the airline, be proud of it!

wonder why we dont see stuff like that here
View Quote

The AFA-CWA (AFL-CIO)

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:27:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Last time I was there I got drunk with a whole bunch of Aussie soccer players.

It was fucking awesome.

And then two of them tried to attack me in the hotel elevator.  (Not so awesome.)
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#46]
The eternal city..
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#48]

The Pyramids weren't built by slaves.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Hmmm.......

Italy or Thailand.

I can't decide.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2014 11:47:02 AM EDT
[#50]
2 pages of Italy and no lasagna pic, GD?

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top