Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
The best part about being a millennial is being a smug project manager?

I never see any project managers in the boardroom. Maybe I missed them.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

i'm here, i work as a project manager. i will jump ship at 2-3 years. benefits are the same, minus vesting for 401k.

eta: and PMs are a dime a dozen, this isn't a special snowflake thread
View Quote
Cant capitilize or form a proper sentance.

You will surely go fart chief.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I wonder how long until the "why did they fire me and keep all the old guys" thread. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:23:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just remember there is a new generation coming up behind you.
View Quote
This.  And they may not be as worthless as your sorry ass generation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't know what it is with older people not getting how the modern job market works. I remember in another thread here some guy was complaining about "millennials" job hopping and commenting on how that apparently wasn't a "red flag" on applications anymore. I read that and thought "job hopping was a red flag? Huh. News to me." Never even crossed my mind that would be a bad thing on a resume. 

I guess they're just so used to the days when loyalty to a company still meant something beyond being able to say "I've been here 15 years. Woo." That whole sticking around thing doesn't work anymore. If you want me to stay long term I'd better be getting a raise. No, that's not some young people entitlement mentality. We don't see raises like you old people got "back in the day". Just the way it is. Employers nowadays would rather keep pay low and just replace people as they come out of college instead of having to actually pay existing employees more. 

We didn't create the system, we're just playing within its rules.
View Quote
Ding Ding ding.

I've job hopped around the 18th month mark a few times. Each time it has netted me a $20k raise. Went From $10/hr in 2013 to $100k /yr in 4 years.

Also, I'm a project manager
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Careful, the first liar doesn't stand a chance.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:41:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Job hopping as a red flag depends on role.
In many fields, a series of 18 month stints signals all honeymoons and no successful onboardings.

I wouldn't hire an operations director who had never survived longer than one true (20 months from planning to audit) budget cycle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a word millennial's will never know. Pension.............

It makes a nice 5k addition per month to the nest egg.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

i'm here, i work as a project manager. i will jump ship at 2-3 years. benefits are the same, minus vesting for 401k.

eta: and PMs are a dime a dozen, this isn't a special snowflake thread
View Quote
I remember being a PM, the actual job description is being the single point of contact for everyone's bitching, oh yeah and being the clerk in a garage trying to get cars in and out except you call it "how to get to done"  

And a boss's job description is a pimp: tell you how special you are, give you the same 3% raise everyone else gets and how you are the top player before he splooges on your face, because his boss is doing the same to him.  You need to realize (if you are in IT) you have programmers that are making twice what you are, DBAs making even more.

Honestly you have a good start to a career.  Jumping ship before your 401 is vested, not smart.  You would be better off to do consulting for a while.  Jumping ship to ship will come back to haunt you after a while.  Consulting, you can jump from one firm to the other and no one will blink.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Millenials have the least responsibility for where this country is right now.

Past genorations made millenials who we are.

You will pay for that. So will we.
View Quote
Not past generationS  Your parents.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
People should be in charge of their own retirement. Never saw how companies thought it was a good idea to pay people after they retired. They are no longer producing anything for the company.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Job hopping as a red flag depends on role.
In many fields, a series of 18 month stints signals all honeymoons and no successful onboardings.

I wouldn't hire an operations director who had never survived longer than one true (20 months from planning to audit) budget cycle.
View Quote
yep, there is a big difference between a shop writing iPhone apps and say a fortune 500 energy, banking or medical shop.  

We are forced to do these panel hiring groups.  Usually if it is an entry level and there is some hopping around we count it as trying to find your niche. After that we don't want to pay you to learn our business knowledge to turn around and take it out the door to our competitors in 2 years.  To the point of putting a non-compete in front of you first thing in orientation.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:19:00 AM EDT
[#13]
OP comes across as a guy that everyone talks about and avoids at work and outside of work. I'm happy you are being paid well. Now, how  about getting off your parents tits and get your own place, pay your own car insurance and cell phone bill.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
shit, most Gen Xers won't know it either.  Pensions are dying off, even for cops and teachers.  Boomers are the last generation to enjoy that ride.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:25:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here is a word millennial's will never know. Pension...........
View Quote
Not many but some will.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:25:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
People should be in charge of their own retirement. Never saw how companies thought it was a good idea to pay people after they retired. They are no longer producing anything for the company.
View Quote
it was not as big a problem when (a) retirees generally lived for 8, maybe 10 years after retirement, and (b) the number of workers was greater than the number of retirees.  It helped to reduce employee turnover, gave an excuse to keep pay lower than market "because we have a great pension!"  Now, with people retiring at 65-67 and living to 90, and with the large Baby Boomer generation retiring, and a ZIRP environment, it's killing pensions.

To me, the bigger problem is not the pensions, it's the medical costs at the end of life.  The vast majority of medical bills incurred in an average person's lifetime are incurred in the last two years of life as 80+ year-olds try to desperately cling to life at any price instead of accepting death as a natural part of life.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#17]
OP sounds alot like the young guys in my CNC TECH class I T.A. in they give the old timer machinists a hard time (including me) who cant draw on CAD software as fast as they can or set up CNC as fast as they can. They are quick at pushing buttons on the CNC and at drawing on CAD I will give them that. One day they were running their parts on the CNC, I went behind each machine and threw the master power switches sw and yelled out POWER FAILURE! handed them blue prints and said move to the manual machines and make this part, holy shit what a shit show. Half couldnt read the prints, all of them couldnt set up a manual lathe or mill much less run one. My professor was like you are such dick..I said I know
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#18]
This is NOT a humble brag thread.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The best part about being a millennial is being a smug project manager?

I never see any project managers in the boardroom. Maybe I missed them.
View Quote
This LOL. I'm a millennial and thought I was cool when I was a project manager. That was a shit job where I simply executed others needs.

And as others have said pay doesn't mean shit - another thing millenials learn - title doesn't mean shit. I know a bunch of smug assholes with muh vp title who are no more than entry level because no one gives 2 fucks what they say. My title is biz dev manager however I drive the entire direction of 3/4s  of a 60MM company and have the ear of the board and ownership.

I once learned walk lightly and carry a big stick.

You earn a lot of respect that way. Happy to have learned that by 32
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm a PM and a bunch of my staff makes more than me.

Young trained folks I can replace all day long, including myself. It's the "I need 10-15 years of direct experience" types that cause pain when they leave.

Also, I got a raise when I got promoted and now that I'm in charge and that raise is part of my financials, I almost wish I hadn't gotten it. Almost.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#21]
did OP's mom forget to wake him up?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Good for you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#23]
If my life had such little meaning I had to brag about my job on a gun board to people I have never met to feel accomplishment I would feel very empty.

Hope you enjoy having no friends OP
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:38:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
OP sounds alot like the young guys in my CNC TECH class I T.A. in they give the old timer machinists a hard time (including me) who cant draw on CAD software as fast as they can or set up CNC as fast as they can. They are quick at pushing buttons on the CNC and at drawing on CAD I will give them that. One day they were running their parts on the CNC, I went behind each machine and threw the master power switches sw and yelled out POWER FAILURE! handed them blue prints and said move to the manual machines and make this part, holy shit what a shit show. Half couldnt read the prints, all of them couldnt set up a manual lathe or mill much less run one. My professor was like you are such dick..I said I know
View Quote
tell them, "the power doesn't come back on until you can correctly machine these parts manually."
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
tell them, "the power doesn't come back on until you can correctly machine these parts manually."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The professor got an angry worded email from one of their moms about how its unrealistic that they would have to make the part manually and that in a REAL machine shop not all CNCs would go down at the same time
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm not sure millennials will miss pensions.  With a 401k (or equivalent) or IRA, it's my money and I can invest it according to my own risk profile and retirement timeline.  I don't have to worry about the company or pension fund going bankrupt, the PBGC being underfunded, or the pension being modified detrimentally post-retirement.

Personally, I'll take a decent 401k match with low ER investment options over a pension any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:51:54 AM EDT
[#27]
I predict a "Should I eject because I think my wife is fucking around on me" thread in the OP's future. I'm sure your future in laws will adore you as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:54:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Good for you. Now, buy a car (please learn to drive first), get married, buy a house and have kids. Welcome to the world of adults. Finally.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
good. Now you can afford a case for all of your participation trophys
View Quote
and a team membership
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:57:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll have a private sector pension
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This LOL. I'm a millennial and thought I was cool when I was a project manager. That was a shit job where I simply executed others needs.

And as others have said pay doesn't mean shit - another thing millenials learn - title doesn't mean shit. I know a bunch of smug assholes with muh vp title who are no more than entry level because no one gives 2 fucks what they say. My title is biz dev manager however I drive the entire direction of 3/4s  of a 60MM company and have the ear of the board and ownership.

I once learned walk lightly and carry a big stick.

You earn a lot of respect that way. Happy to have learned that by 32
View Quote
In my profession PM's are the ones that didn't run fast enough.  I always get a chuckle when one of the young guys with dollar signs in his eyes volunteers for that shit show.    
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
it was not as big a problem when (a) retirees generally lived for 8, maybe 10 years after retirement, and (b) the number of workers was greater than the number of retirees.  It helped to reduce employee turnover, gave an excuse to keep pay lower than market "because we have a great pension!"  Now, with people retiring at 65-67 and living to 90, and with the large Baby Boomer generation retiring, and a ZIRP environment, it's killing pensions.

To me, the bigger problem is not the pensions, it's the medical costs at the end of life.  The vast majority of medical bills incurred in an average person's lifetime are incurred in the last two years of life as 80+ year-olds try to desperately cling to life at any price instead of accepting death as a natural part of life.
View Quote
lol at retiring at 65-67
I plan on retiring officially in my 50s and working something very low stress to stay busy.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
lol at retiring at 65-67
I plan on retiring officially in my 50s and working something very low stress to stay busy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol at retiring at 65-67
good for you.  You do realize that is not the norm, right? If not, bugger off.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Good job OP, makes lots and pay your taxes as I start drawing a pension at 44 and we need more like you to keep the money flowing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#35]
awe... junior has the bull by the horns... gonna take on this big bad world and win... way to go junior... so proud of you, you're the best ever

that's what you needed right?  Kinda what you grew up with.... reality is nobody gives a shit what you make, besides you... what a tool
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:22:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
coming into a job and making more than people who've been there for like 10-20 years lmaooo

muh loyalty
View Quote

Time served doesn't automatically equal more pay dude.  That entire concept is some bullshit the liberals came up with.  And it's completely fucking wrong.  Join a union if you want your pay based on arbitrary bullshit instead of merit.  Grats on your salary tho.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Nice keep working for my retirement, its really nice that you do.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#38]
The best project managers out there are the ones with spectacular people skills.  They often have huge responsibility but little direct authority.

The posts from the OP don't indicate spectacular people skills.  Save that paycheck, OP.  Sounds like you'll need it when you're between jobs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The best project managers out there are the ones with spectacular people skills.  They often have huge responsibility but little direct authority.

The posts from the OP don't indicate spectacular people skills.  Save that paycheck, OP.  Sounds like you'll need it when you're between jobs.
View Quote
oh
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, that happened to my mom.  She was pretty pissed when she found out the new hires she was training made more money than her (she worked there 20 years).

In America it's taboo to discuss compensation, but if people did companies wouldn't have the upper hand to play these kind of games.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Not buying condoms?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Go write in your feelings journal now
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
coming into a job and making more than people who've been there for like 10-20 years lmaooo

muh loyalty
View Quote

thats the best part?

thats fucking sad
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:42:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is what you a project manager of?
Instagram
View Quote
Oh snap
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:50:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
shit, most Gen Xers won't know it either.  Pensions are dying off, even for cops and teachers.  Boomers are the last generation to enjoy that ride.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Leaving the company before your 401K is vested is a brilliant move. I bet your pretty good at leaving money on the table. Get a lift kit on the brodozer.
View Quote
If he's willing to not care and give up his earned money in his 401k, I'd never hire him as a PM. I'd worry how much of the companies money he's wasting/throwing away.

I'm also a millennial!
I'm was smart enough to stay away from the PM route, so I got raises without leaving the company
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm 32 and OP is still a loser.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I made good money also before I retired...........I never felt it funny that people were making far less than I was at work.

Why is that funny to you?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The professor got an angry worded email from one of their moms about how its unrealistic that they would have to make the part manually and that in a REAL machine shop not all CNCs would go down at the same time
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This story keeps getting better!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top