User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's what I found after longterm use and I honestly think that was most of my problem this year.  We had our second kid, moved...the guns didn't get shot this Summer.  When I took them out after 6-12 months the FL was tacky even though everything looked clean and there was no visible lube sitting on the surface.  Add in some cold air and that's a bad combo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have to deal with cold temperatures down here, but if you let it sit on a gun for too long (5+ months), it will gum up all on it's own and turn to a sticky residue.  

No idea why, but it's kind of common when you own a bunch of different AR's, there's times where a few rifles will sit for extended periods in the safe without being fired.

That's what I found after longterm use and I honestly think that was most of my problem this year.  We had our second kid, moved...the guns didn't get shot this Summer.  When I took them out after 6-12 months the FL was tacky even though everything looked clean and there was no visible lube sitting on the surface.  Add in some cold air and that's a bad combo.

Yep, after it happened to me I did some research, and there are one or two guys out there who ran extended period tests and noticed the same thing.  

It didn't so much affect the cycling of the BCG for me (probably because I wasn't dealing with cold weather), but my FCG was gummed up something nasty.  I thought my Geissele SSA had somehow gotten fucked up before I realized what the issue was.

Had to detail strip the entire lower and flush the receiver extension out with denatured alcohol to get rid of all the gunk.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hairdryers make metal porous.

Science fact.

Totally NOT snake oil. Nope.
View Quote

All metals are in fact porous, and heating them will cause them to expand, albeit very minutely.

I still didn't understand the having to heat the parts portion.  Slather the shit on and the next time you fire the weapon, the BCG will get hotter than you could ever get it with a hairdryer.  

Oh well, there were other unintended complications that I found with the Frog Lube, aside from having to heat the parts up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can you explain further ? I currently use eezox and a version of weapons shield for years  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about no.

Can you explain further ? I currently use eezox and a version of weapons shield for years  

First bottle of liquid frog lube I got clumped up like cottage cheese. They replaced it with a bottle that also clumped, just not as bad. On a gun i cleaned and lubed regularly with the FL paste the bbl and slide both rusted.

Plus the deceptive marketing. Was it really found in a old cannon? Was it really invented by SEALs? or is it just rebranded roller coaster track lube dyed green?

Plus the lack of information on what its made from...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All metals are in fact porous, and heating them will cause them to expand, albeit very minutely.

I still didn't understand the having to heat the parts portion.  Slather the shit on and the next time you fire the weapon, the BCG will get hotter than you could ever get it with a hairdryer.  

Oh well, there were other unintended complications that I found with the Frog Lube, aside from having to heat the parts up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Science fact.

Yup. All your posts nailed it.

Ive only noticed the worship of FL on TOS FWIW.

ETA: and as a buckeye, Im sure you could see the complications it provides in my AO.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
First bottle of liquid frog lube I got clumped up like cottage cheese. They replaced it with a bottle that also clumped, just not as bad. On a gun i cleaned and lubed regularly with the FL paste the bbl and slide both rusted.

Plus the deceptive marketing. Was it really found in a old cannon? Was it really invented by SEALs? or is it just rebranded roller coaster track lube dyed green?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about no.

Same issues here. Bad experiences.

Pass on it.

Not a fan of CLP either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it, still testing though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ETA: and as a buckeye, Im sure you could see the complications it provides in my AO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Science fact.

Yep, having lived there for the first 22 years of my life, I know all too well how frigid it gets up there.  I was up near the Cleveland area in December and I had apparently forget how cold it gets.  Fuck that shit sucked.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about no.

IIRC, it is re-branded deli slicer lube.  From what I have gathered, they didn't make any changes to it at all.  That's why it's minty and safe for consumption.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#9]
CLP if its good enough for the .mil good enough for me
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think the FL is losing moisture to the atmosphere over time and the particles that are left over are the "sticky residue" as you say.  When I put away a clean and lubed rifle I expect to be able to pull it out of the safe a year later without having to detail clean and re-lube the entire thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have to deal with cold temperatures down here, but if you let it sit on a gun for too long (5+ months), it will gum up all on it's own and turn to a sticky residue.  

No idea why, but it's kind of common when you own a bunch of different AR's, there's times where a few rifles will sit for extended periods in the safe without being fired.

I think the FL is losing moisture to the atmosphere over time and the particles that are left over are the "sticky residue" as you say.  When I put away a clean and lubed rifle I expect to be able to pull it out of the safe a year later without having to detail clean and re-lube the entire thing.

This mirrors my experience almost entirely. I had to clean some parts off and re-lube it with synthetic engine oil.

Odd noob question, but is it possible that the Froglube could have damaged my guns at all?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Fire Clean for me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:28:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This mirrors my experience almost entirely. I had to clean some parts off and re-lube it with synthetic engine oil.

Odd noob question, but is it possible that the Froglube could have damaged my guns at all?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I highly doubt it damaged anything even slightly.  I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#14]
[b]Quoted:

Yep, after it happened to me I did some research, and there are one or two guys out there who ran extended period tests and noticed the same thing.  

It didn't so much affect the cycling of the BCG for me (probably because I wasn't dealing with cold weather), but my FCG was gummed up something nasty.  I thought my Geissele SSA had somehow gotten fucked up before I realized what the issue was.

Had to detail strip the entire lower and flush the receiver extension out with denatured alcohol to get rid of all the gunk.  
View Quote

Sounds like we had similar experiences.  I changed my mind about FL last month.  I went shooting on a sunny, mid 40 degree day and it did not go well.

It didn't entirely stop my BCG, but cycling was noticeable slower and ejection was obviously suffering.  Brass would just dribble out of the port and drop straight down.  Once or twice per mag the BCG would fail to strip the next round and I got to practice my malfunction clearing.  This was on an otherwise 100% (until now) reliable AR.  After 4 mags I said forget it, and brought out another AR.  Same story.  Then I brought out a 590A1.  I loaded that up, aimed, and "click".  That happened 5 more times before I got my first bang and then it was about 50/50 malfunctions after that.  I left the range pretty upset by the whole experience and intent on fixing the issue.

When I got home I pulled the trigger housing out of the 590 and didn't see anything obviously wrong.  Suspecting that old FL was to blame I got out my trusty heat gun and went to work.  Ultimately I was able to extract exactly one drop of FL from the trigger group and one from the firing pin channel.  Brake cleaner took care of the rest.  Keep in mind that I had never intentionally applied frog lube to either area.  It just sort of found its way there over time and got sticky.

At this point I was ready to reassemble so I grabbed my bottle of FL out of the garage.  It was frozen solid at just over 40 degrees and I couldn't have re-lubed with it if my life had depended on it.  That's when I decided that FL wasn't for me.  I detail stripped and cleaned the rest of my guns with alcohol over a three day period.  What a royal PITA to remove old FL!  I've switched to Fireclean at this point due to the cold weather properties others have reported.  I hope it works better in the long run, but given my experience with FL I'll wait a year before I make any determination.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:40:14 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Quoted:
about 2 years now. haven't had any of those issues. but then i have found a VERY small amount goes a VERY long way. i mainly use it on handguns only. i can easily see that happening if a thick coating is applied and not wiped down all the way. no i also completely clean it in my ultrasonic every time time as well so i shouldn't be accumulating new on top of old lube. that could be a key difference for me as well. they do say to use their "solvent" to remove the old during cleaning.
View Quote

I think under those circumstances (handguns, ultrasonic cleaning, and warm temps) you'll be good to go.  You'll easily be able to get the old FL out before you apply the new.  Given what I know now I'd be much more careful to completely strip old FL out of the gun before re-lubing.  That's probably the key.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I may not have given FL enough time to change my mind, but I've had similar experiences as related by others here, and gave up on it. I ran SLIP for years, but I am almost one full year into testing fireclean, and I am liking fireclean the best so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm using FL because I have it. Prob will switch up to something else when it's gone. Getting real tired of my guns melting, rusting and generally not working with FL.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:48:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the minty smell.  I keep wanting to taste it.
View Quote

Minty fresh guns!

Love FL.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about no.

Pass on it.

Not a fan of CLP either.

thanks - i'll stick with my Weapons Shield and Eezox that's proven over the years and testing here iirc.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#21]
slip 2000 ewl   FTMFW
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#22]
People still buy 4 oz bottles of "wonder" lube for $20...

You would think after all these years.. people would figure out that there is no magic lube.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:13:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I use frog lube on my CCW's

frog lube does not collect dust, and those guns get a lot of attention and care.

i tried it on my AR's and P90...

still undecided.

I think it's great for CCW pistols, because it is nontoxic and doesnt collect dust. those are important things to consider for a gun that will be pressed up against you all day every day

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
I personally use weapon shield.  I think it is the best stuff that I have used, but everyone is different.  Plus its made locally here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Interesting.

I shot last week in the cold, maybe 35 degrees.

One of the ARs started malfunctioning almost every other round. Double feeds, 2 round tips stuck in the chamber.

The BCG and barrel extention was full of sticky shit.

I think it was the cold,  frog lube and the russian steel ammo combining to get dirty and sticky and the AR stopped running.

Going to go back to mobile 1
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Interesting.

One of the ARs started malfunctioning almost every other round. Double feeds, 2 round tips stuck in the chamber.

I think it was the cold,  frog lube and the russian steel ammo combining to get dirty and sticky and the AR stopped running.

View Quote

How long have you been using the Frog Lube on that specific AR?  It seems the more it sits and builds up, even with cleanings in between, the better chance it has of decomposing and becoming a sticky residue.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:03:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How long have you been using the Frog Lube on that specific AR?  It seems the more it sits and builds up, even with cleanings in between, the better chance it has of decomposing and becoming a sticky residue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting.

Using FL since last spring.

I may not have cleaned it after shooting it a few times with wolf steel cased, I don't remember.

The barrel extension looked like someone had dipped it in grease. It was all gummed up.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I cant get past the smell. Slip 2000 EWL it is.  I may try some fireclean though
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can tell you that frogs don't like it.

Fact.

View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top