Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2015 10:36:26 PM EDT
Seems like the whole front of my house is like this. Built 10 years ago and this faces the south. Is this normal? just super small cracks like spider webs. It does not seem to be flaking off.

Untitled by 1911xmd, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a pro but I lived in a 90 year old stucco house that looked better than that.

It won't be on there much past the next freeze.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:52:53 PM EDT
[#2]
they are very hairline. I zoomed in a lot
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are in a cold climate, yes.

Had stucco in Minnesota...what stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm no stucco expert, but it may have been applied on a hot sunny day and dried too fast.  Not sure about it being a problem though.  Maybe a coat or two of a good thick paint will resolve.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm no stucco expert, but it may have been applied on a hot sunny day and dried too fast.  Not sure about it being a problem though.  Maybe a coat or two of a good thick paint will resolve.
View Quote

That could be. We live in the  Desert of southern Utah
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in AZ and have a stucco house - I've never seen anything like that.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are. Close then. It's only this side of the house. Sun have anything to do with it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been told it's pretty normal.  I live in a one year old house and they are going to fix it anyway but the house breathes.  As it does you can expect some movement.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:01:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have been told it's pretty normal.  I live in a one year old house and they are going to fix it anyway but the house breathes.  As it does you can expect some movement.
View Quote

Yours looks like this? How are they going to fix it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't exist here outside of condos and Mexican restaurants...
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
30 year old original stucco on my house and nothing like that at all.

There have been steady lawsuits with home builders over the past decade for crappy stucco work that cracks just like that though.  It's not uncommon at all to see complete developments getting re stuccoed.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Stucco doesnt move in the bahamas, and shit sucks down here. Get that checked out.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It doesn't exist here outside of condos and Mexican restaurants...
View Quote

There are a shitload of stucco million dollar homes in Virginia.  .
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:09:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We are. Close then. It's only this side of the house. Sun have anything to do with it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no expert.

I'm thinking your stucco mix wasn't correct for the temperature when it was applied.

Here is a pic of the South side of my 18 year old stucco house, it gets AZ sun virtually all day long all year long and the entire South side (all sides) of my house do not have the cracks that you posted.

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:11:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I think there is a paint especially for stucco.

I think its elastomeric.

I would just paint it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Probably wasn't cured properly and now you have shrinkage cracks.  You can put on another color coat or just paint it if it bothers you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Probably wasn't cured properly and now you have shrinkage cracks.  You can put on another color coat or just paint it if it bothers you.
View Quote

Would it hurt if I do nothing?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:32:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd worry about water getting in through the cracks and causing damage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the cracks are really deep, I'd consider a coat of paint to seal them (I know that ain't cheap).
Before I did anything I'd call an exterior stucco guy and get a "real" opinion....

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Jesus people still put stucco on their houses?
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:41:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Try using a paint sprayer, it's what I did to my townhouse in FL, smoothed all the hairline cracks out without screwing up the texture.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:44:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Down here, if you didn't, you'd be looking at concrete blocks.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hell yes!

Better than that manufactured shit they put on the house I had built in KS....
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#24]
It has been like this for at least a year that I remember seeing. Could of always been like this. Only bought the house 3 years ago
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Stucco sucks.  It all cracks.  I have stucco.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:40:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I lived in Arizona and every stucco house I ever saw down there looked like that to some degree.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:42:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't know about Jesus people, but a shit load of houses near the ocean are stucco houses.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

its relatively inexpensive and a hell of a lot nicer than vinyl siding. Stucco with stone accent sections looks really good.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#29]
7/8" WL+P is good to go.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#30]
South Texas here.... Mine looks nothing like that...... Does it flake off?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
South Texas here.... Mine looks nothing like that...... Does it flake off?
View Quote

No. Still seems normal
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#32]
To my eye that looks like Dryvit or EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finishing Systems) as opposed to Stucco.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:17:28 AM EDT
[#33]
The far away pic looks just like mine minus the color.  I have have to examine mine close up see if it looks the same.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Mine has small cracks like that.

I consider it normal.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#35]
not an expert but sure doesn't look right to me and I've seen tons of stucco. I'd get a pro painter with stucco experience come out for an estimate to have it painted and see what they say. Paint might help for a while but I just do not see that stuff holding up long term in the high heat/cold cycles.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#36]
That looks like acrylic stucco as opposed to cement stucco. IIRC, the acrylic comes premixed in pails and they just trowel it on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I had a general contracter that I have worked with in the past look at it. He said it looks like most other houses in the area he worked on. He said it most likely happened within three months of being built and it should not get worse. He said not to worry about it but I can paint it if it bothers me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well I had a general contracter that I have worked with in the past look at it. He said it looks like most other houses in the area he worked on. He said it most likely happened within three months of being built and it should not get worse. He said not to worry about it but I can paint it if it bothers me.
View Quote

Those cracks normally form when improperly applied. Is what it is
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#39]
That looks like cracked paint to me.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
That looks like cracked paint to me.

View Quote

That's what I was going to say.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I am in a 12 yr old stucco house, it doesn't look like that, mine has a few small cracks from settling and that's it.
I will show the picture to a friend that has been doing stucco for over 20 years, he will give me a good answer.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm no expert.   I'm thinking your stucco mix wasn't correct for the temperature when it was applied.
Here is a pic of the South side of my 18 year old stucco house, it gets AZ sun virtually all day long all year long and the entire South side (all sides) of my house do not have the cracks that you posted.

http://i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/160467590.TtMEtTYO.Stucco.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no expert.   I'm thinking your stucco mix wasn't correct for the temperature when it was applied.

That looks like EIFS (Dryvit, Sto, or a similar brand name), not a traditional cement stucco like the OP seems to have. Yours would be a synthetic material applied over foam board. Kinda looks the same, but very different.

OP, my company uses a good bit of elastomeric paint on stucco, and a lot of the municipalities spec it on maintenance projects.  It fills/bridges the small cracks, and seems to work well, but I have no idea what the useful life span of it is.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#47]
I would guess to thick of a coat Op..
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Nope.

My home is 35 years old and doesn't look like that. In southern Utah I'd be concern about water getting in there and freezing opening the cracks up.
View Quote

Winter is average 40-50 degrees here. Every once in awhile it goes below freezing and snows
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
That looks like EIFS (Dryvit, Sto, or a similar brand name), not a traditional cement stucco like the OP seems to have. Yours would be a synthetic material applied over foam board. Kinda looks the same, but very different.

OP, my company uses a good bit of elastomeric paint on stucco, and a lot of the municipalities spec it on maintenance projects.  It fills/bridges the small cracks, and seems to work well, but I have no idea what the useful life span of it is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I do believe you are correct - it's most likely EIFS.
I watched when they built my house.

They attached what looked like styrofoam sheeting to the exterior walls, then stapled what looked like chicken coup fencing over it, then spread on the "stuff".

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Winter is average 40-50 degrees here. Every once in awhile it goes below freezing and snows
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

My home is 35 years old and doesn't look like that. In southern Utah I'd be concern about water getting in there and freezing opening the cracks up.

This past winter, mornings were anywhere from 30-50 in Arizona. House is 8 years old. There's actually a crack in the picture below but it is so hairline and runs vertical like a stress crack from long ago. But looks nothing like yours. Usually when stucco comes off, it's in chunks and generally around the edges.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top