Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:22:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually left them where they were or drug them into the woods and left them there.

Rottweiler named Charlie - Had to umm put it down because it ate a goat. - Left it in the woods.
Rottweiler named Bear - Got ran over. - I can't remember what we did with him.
Shih Tzu - Got ran over This dog was awesome. I think my grandfather put him in the trash pile.
Cats - Who knows? I think they just vanish. Actually, my favorite cat got eaten by the neighbors dog - fucker.
16 baby opossums - They unfortunately died . We buried them.
Nanday parrot bird - Buried in back yard. I loved this bird, he choked on a seed. I cried. Dammit, I wish I still had my buddy Duke. He rocked.

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Bury it out back.

Who the fuck would throw a dead dog/et al in the trash?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Bury it out back.

Who the fuck would throw a dead dog/et al in the trash?

someone who didn't think much of their dog, I guess.  wow.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
i would of said buried with alot of tears and years of fond memories but now im thinking the viking ship sounds pretty good
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bury them on the farm.  I make a "tomb" by digging a nice hole, putting the carcass in, then covering with two 60# bags of Sakrete.  I smooth it, add water, then put a number of quarters on top, all with the current year's date, heads up.  That will give people something to talk about in a thousand years when they excavate the site.  

King Pup's Tomb........did you put a curse on it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your local vet will take care of that for you.

A couple of years ago, my sister told me one of her cats had died, so she had taken it to the vet. I couldn't resist responding, "Isn't it a little late for that?"  

She actually did laugh about it, so I didn't feel too bad.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 3:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Poll = FAIL

No "Leave out for the vultures" option.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:47:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was stuck taking care of a friend's two Himalayan cats for a few months and one died a few days before he and his wife came home. I told his wife I'd handle all the "arrangements." Into a shoe box and a quick trip to the dumpster and that was that.

to lazy to bury the pet
to cheap to have it cremated
lie to your friends wife
you have got to be the worst friend in the world
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How timely...I just got inside from burying the family cat.

Not sure what to tell my boys in the morning...my 4 year old made the cat something for Christmas at school.

Very sorry.

that is sad

however the adorableness of a new kitten for christmass should cheer the kids up :)
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]
We cremated one. Some are at rest in the backyard. Hope the people living there now don't start digging!
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Other:  Cremation.  Our past pets are with us in the closet...  One day I do need to bury them.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#12]
How much does it cost to cremate a large dog?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]
well years ago when I was going through a not so nice divorce my EX called me to tell me one of our bird dogs was sick. I went over after work and I about freak out. damn dog looks like skin and bones. come to find out she had heartworms. the ex hadn't given the dogs their medication in a while because she forgot and she didn't have the money

so I take my #1 dog to the vet knowing what was coming. she had to be put down. cried like a damn baby after leaving the office with her. forgot the evil witch had changed the locks on the house and I didn't have access to a shovel. so I had to stop at the local hardware store and buy a shovel and the only one they had was a sharp shooter. It had not rained in forever and a day so the ground is nice and hard.

I start digging the ground up. Humidity is 99% and its hot as hell when it begins to rain. So here I am wearing nice Dockers and a dress shirt and dress pants sweating my ass off, burying my dog and now its raining. Great!!! What else can go wrong?

Go to get dog out of truck and no one told me that a dead dog, person, whatever looses it ability to hold it bowles after a short time. So now I have dog shit and piss all over my dress pants already covered in dust and dirt and sweat and rain. Then had to go pick the 6year old daughter up from school and drive 30 minutes to where I was staying and then tell her she had just lost one of her best friends in the entire world.

Ended up taking the daughter back out to her Mom's that night. The EX meets me at the door and the first thing she ask was. "So what did you do with the dog?" My reply was simple. "I burried her in the back yard like any responsible pet owner would." She in turns calls me a sick and twisted individual.

What a crappy day it was.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:09:33 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Neapolitan Mastiff. I would like to do more research about Roman funerals and give her one. I chose Viking funeral in the poll as it was closest to my goals.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:11:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

i think it was $60.00 to cremate 80# Babe in a private cremation
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Vet will dispose of the carcass for a small fee.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]
We have a dog graveyard on my buddies farm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:15:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Depends on the pet.

My last dog was buried, because she was the best dog I've ever had. (16 years of loyal service from a Border Collie gets a proper burial)
Same thing with my best cat. She was the grandmother of all the other barn cats, the best at pest control, and the most affectionate. She got a burial.

But the other cats got wrapped up in plastic bags, and put in the garbage.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I usually left them where they were or drug them into the woods and left them there.

Rottweiler named Charlie - Had to umm put it down because it ate a goat. - Left it in the woods.
Rottweiler named Bear - Got ran over. - I can't remember what we did with him.
Shih Tzu - Got ran over This dog was awesome. I think my grandfather put him in the trash pile.
Cats - Who knows? I think they just vanish. Actually, my favorite cat got eaten by the neighbors dog - fucker.
16 baby opossums - They unfortunately died . We buried them.
Nanday parrot bird - Buried in back yard. I loved this bird, he choked on a seed. I cried. Dammit, I wish I still had my buddy Duke. He rocked.

You left your dogs out for the scavengers but buried the possums?  I need that, "not sure if serious" picture.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I bury them, it they are almost checked out and the little lady takes them to the Vet it never comes home.  I guess he sells them to a taco stand.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Lost my two dogs a couple of years ago. Buried them along the fence line, and planted a rose bush on each grave.

The rose bushes love it, they're both over 7' tall now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

or burrial in the yard (dig deep though)

This is what most people tend to do, but it's not legal in most areas. keep that in mind if considering it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Had a buddy (who did taxidermy) who had hit a stray cat with his truck. He mounted the ass half of the cat with tail sticking straight up and mounted it on the wall. He called it his cat-ass-trophy.

I voted Bury it out back.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#24]
When I had my dog put down last week I donated her body to the vet school at VA Tech.

Got a vet school in your area?
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#25]
My cat Butthead aka "Big B"
In life

In Death

And at rest
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#26]
same thing ya do with yur kin... they all rot the same way.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
what do yall do with pets that die? big pets like a dog or a cat; something you can't flush down a toilet.

Wood chipper, then flush.

Or you can just take it to the vet & they will have it cremated for a fee.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:48:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not true, most of my blood kin I would just throw in the hog pen.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 5:59:44 AM EDT
[#29]
My wife has her creamated cocker spaniel in our china cabinet.   That was a fun one to take thru the airport screeners.    
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#30]
My sincere condolencses on the loss of your pet.

My last two dogs had to be put-down at the vet due to age and health issues. The vets had a source in the Dallas area that cremated them and interned the ashes in a very nice polished brass box with their names engraved on them. Since we have moved a few times since, we have been able to keep our old buddies with us.

I sometimes wonder if the ashes are purely those of our former pet/family members or just a scoup of ashes from several dogs and cats that were cremated at once. I just hope not.

My current GSD and best buddy is 12 years old on Jan., 5. He's doing well, but at that age, he could go down-hill all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#31]
I wish I had time to fully tell you the story that involves the following elements:

1. A dead cat in a severe state of rigor mortis.
2. A rock hard backyard.
3. A hard rain that night.
4. A kitty-cat hind leg sticking up out of the ground the next day.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#32]
When my beloved Golden Retriever had to be put down in March, we had him cremated.  Turns out the folks who do the pet cremation in town go to church with us and that helped in the grieving process.  Right now, Cooper's ashes are in a very nice pine box sitting on our mantle with his leather collar on the box.  Whenever we settle down, we'll bury him there, but until then, he's going with us.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:20:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Nail it to a perch and sell it to John Cleese?

"'E's only pining..."

Seriously, burial if land is available or take to the vet.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I voted other. My hunting dogs get buried in a field where they found memorable birds. My cats get buried in parks or forests where I'll be able to go back and visit them. Somewhere pretty as a final resting place. Too cheap and not sentimental enough to go the full-blown pet cemetary route and after the movie.....ewwwww....I don't want my animals coming back as zombies.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#35]
The last two dogs I've had die were bullmastiff.  Too large to bury in the rocky-soiled backyard without using a frigging back hoe.  Call me sentimental but I had them both cremated.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm having my dogs cremated when they go.  I hate the idea of burying my dog in the backyard when its somewhere I know I won't be living.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:29:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Buried my Pug under his favorite spot in the backyard, so he could sit in the sun and watch cars through the fence as long as he wants to.  I made a simple tomb stone with a 5lb bag of quickcrete and scrap lumber for a mold.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I have two dogs, who are my best friends. When they pass they will be cremated and the ashes will be placed in a urn. Whenever I die, my wishes are to be creamated as well and that my ashes be placed in the same container. My dogs are my best friends, they have never lied , cheated or stole from me, as others have done during my life and yes that includes my family members.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#39]
I have 5 dogs and a fish buried in the back yard, and these are all big dogs.  I always put them out on the hill overlooking the lake.

I know a guy that has at least 20 dogs buried on his property and he made tombstones for all of them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Rendering plant.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#41]
we usually bury the dogs in the back yard. I had to put a friends dog down this summer and he was going to drive out in the country and throw it in a ditch because he didn't want to bury it in his back yard because he thought the neighbors would complain, so I took the dog home with me and buried it in my back yard.
  A friend of mine had to put his prized Brittinany down and he had him cremated and has the urn placed on a shelf between two mounted pheasants.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#42]
When I've had pets die, I take them to the ASPCA and have them cremated, "general population" (no remains returned to me.)

I don't need to cart around urns full of ash, nor do I need the wildlife digging them up in the backyard or wherever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

She was about 60 lbs, $35 and I didn't get the remains back.  Would have been about $110 if I wanted them back but I didn't need them.  I kept her collar and buried her tags in the small hole she dug by the house when she was a puppy....

If I would have had the time I would have taken her to my grandmother's farm and buried her near the creek.  But that is a 6 hour trip one way....  Would have buried her in my yard but it is clay and I would need a backhoe to dig a hole that size.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not true, most of my blood kin I would just throw in the hog pen.

ROTFLMAO This is so wrong!  I cant even go there and I also live in the country.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#45]
We always burined them.  My parnets yard has a mini cemetary in it.  Headsotnes and everything.  Her last dog that passed was cremated.   His ashes are in a nice mahogany box and are buried next to the others.

RIP Bear, McGee, Jake, and Cooper.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Freeze dried.

I've got 2 or 3 critters buried in the front yard. One's a guinea pig that just died one day; one's a hamster... maybe it's 2 hamsters and that guinea pig. I don't know. They were my kids pets. They don't have markers. When the dogs go, I guess they'll go in a hole in a ground. Same for the cat.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:49:51 AM EDT
[#47]
Burry in my backyard
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#48]
The answer is in your screen name.
Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I bury them on the farm.  I make a "tomb" by digging a nice hole, putting the carcass in, then covering with two 60# bags of Sakrete.  I smooth it, add water, then put a number of quarters on top, all with the current year's date, heads up.  That will give people something to talk about in a thousand years when they excavate the site.  

Great. Now in a 1,000 years they're going to dig up your dog and think we were all a bunch of backward dog worshiping morons. Congratulations, you've single handedly erased all of our achievements in the eyes of our progeny.

Did you hear about the agnostic, dyslexic, insomniac?  He'd lie awake at night wondering if there really was a dog.

Link Posted: 12/17/2010 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Depends on how important the animal was to you. Our last dog we had cremated and have her ashes, in an urn, on my wife's dresser. Otherwise burial in the back yard is certainly appropriate. YMMV
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top