BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

OUPD and OSUPD also pay more than most of the city departments.  

Yep! It's funny to me because I have had a few city and county guys make comments about why I choose to be a ULEO as opposed to a LEO, basically getting at they thought it was not real police work. It cracks me up, why would I want to get a job in some Podunk village making $10.00 and having to deal with the same shit heads year after year, with little or no benefits. When I can work for the university make quite a bit difference in pay, get free tuition and 1/2 off for my kids, great benefits and get what equates to a whole new town every two years.  I have the same arrest powers as they do, hell if you want to get technical, I have jurisdiction on any and all university owned property, just here in my county that's 35 sq miles, last I checked OSU was the second largest land owning university in the free world. She beats the crap out of your 5sq mile city don't it.  Man they hate when I say that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I found out the following today about my campus police(this is at a community college)

-They are NOT sworn police officers(they do NOT have arrest powers)
-If you were to get arrested by the campus PD, the cop would have to call the officer that is a real cop, and they would take you to the police building and detain you till the Palos Hills(IL) PD got there.
-They are little more than security

Oddly enough, they tool around in P-71 Crown Vics with lightbars, cages, etc.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have a  link to the "campus police thread?" A search of "campus police" came up with nothing.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:43:27 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've gone straight to the horse's mouth on this one.  Hopefully, Dear Uncle Ezra will get to the bottom of this.

2.10 Persons designated as peace officers.
 Notwithstanding the provisions of any general, special or local law or
charter to the contrary, only the following persons shall have the
powers of, and shall be peace officers:

42. Special deputy sheriffs appointed by the sheriff of a county
within which any part of the grounds of Cornell university or the
grounds of any state institution constituting a part of the educational
and research plants owned or under the supervision, administration or
control of said university are located pursuant to section fifty-seven
hundred nine of the education law; provided, however, that nothing in
this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize such officer to carry,
possess, repair or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license
therefor has been issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal law.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c25/a4.html

Well, you're absolutely correct on this one.  That sucks for the CUPD officers; no carry in NYC or other states.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well, you're absolutely correct on this one.  That sucks for the CUPD officers; no carry in NYC or other states.

A lot of them have secondary employment elsewhere that would allow them that ability.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I found out the following today about my campus police(this is at a community college)

-If you were to get arrested by the campus PD, the cop would have to call the officer that is a real cop, and they would take you to the police building and detain you till the Palos Hills(IL) PD got there.

That's the problem: Lots of campus security personnel are referred to as "police" without regard for their actual legal status. There are lots of colleges who have basically security guards, and then there are places who have actual police forces who have been granted that authority by the state government. The officers are fully sworn officers with full police powers, and in some instances they have broader jurisdictional powers than even regular municipal officers.

The communities that surround colleges, for instance, often sign jurisdictional agreements giving campus PDs authority in areas that are primarily student housing. They sign agreements that allow for campus PD officers to effect arrests on non-campus area in support of municipal officers who request assistance, etc.

Generally for liability reasons, campus "security" isn't armed in most circumstances. Sworn officers usually are. There are exceptions, but they are only exceptions. The general rule applies.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A lot of them have secondary employment elsewhere that would allow them that ability.

Sounds like a ready-made group of reserve officers or part time officers, don't it??
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think there is a University Police Deptment in Rhode Island that allows there officers to carry off duty but not ON duty.

Believe it or not, there are students and faculty who freak out at the thought of even the POLICE carrying firearms and who loudly shout their discomfort at the concept of anyone anywhere near them being armed at all, regardless of whether they are a good guy or not.

If such a policy exists, that is probably the reason why....
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the problem: Lots of campus security personnel are referred to as "police" without regard for their actual legal status. There are lots of colleges who have basically security guards, and then there are places who have actual police forces who have been granted that authority by the state government. The officers are fully sworn officers with full police powers, and in some instances they have broader jurisdictional powers than even regular municipal officers.

The communities that surround colleges, for instance, often sign jurisdictional agreements giving campus PDs authority in areas that are primarily student housing. They sign agreements that allow for campus PD officers to effect arrests on non-campus area in support of municipal officers who request assistance, etc.

Generally for liability reasons, campus "security" isn't armed in most circumstances. Sworn officers usually are. There are exceptions, but they are only exceptions. The general rule applies.

There is ONE officer that I have seen that carries.  The Cook County(IL) Sheriff's Office has officers working a training school at my college, and the supervising officers carry.  

I imagine that the state universities/larger colleges have sworn Police officers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:44:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is ONE officer that I have seen that carries.  The Cook County(IL) Sheriff's Office has officers working a training school at my college, and the supervising officers carry.  

I imagine that the state universities/larger colleges have sworn Police officers.

Sometimes smaller colleges will have a small group of municipal officers stationed on campus and the college may pay a certain ammount of money to help with the costs of providing police service to the campus. Fire service is done the same way for some schools as well.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#12]
University police work is similar to being a university professor. It's a place to hide from the real world. It has the look and feel of real police work without actually doing real police work. Good pay, good benefits, all the training you could ask for. A lot of theory but like a professor, little pratical application. Crimes are under reported lest the University seem unsafe to potential students. Administraotrs often prefer to handle crimes as "incidents" and deal with things administratively. Very little room for promotion, no specialized bureaus. No D.B, Vice/narcotics, SWAT,  K-9, mounted, aviation, marine, forensics, etc. For major crimes, they step aside for OSP/BCI (for state universities) or the locals. A great place to take it easy and get yourself an education plus pay for your childrens education. Campus cops usually have chapped ass because they get little respect and don't get treated like real cops. They eat a lot of poop from staff and students alike.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:30:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
University police work is similar to being a university professor. It's a place to hide from the real world. It has the look and feel of real police work without actually doing real police work. Good pay, good benefits, all the training you could ask for. A lot of theory but like a professor, little pratical application.

Ya.

Tell that to the local PD officers who were shot at last week here. No "real" danger there!!!

Good god!! The statements some people on this board make never cease to amaze me in their absolute thoughtlessness.

Suicide attempts, drug busts, responding to officer assistance calls, and even routine traffic stops can all bring very REAL danger to campus PD officers.

Crimes are under reported lest the University seem unsafe to potential students. Administraotrs often prefer to handle crimes as "incidents" and deal with things administratively.

The administration of universities does often interfere with investigations and with prosecutions, but the extent to which they do this varies on a case by case basis.

Very little room for promotion, no specialized bureaus.

Depends on the department, but generally they don't have specialized groups within the PD.

No D.B, Vice/narcotics, SWAT,  K-9, mounted, aviation, marine, forensics, etc. For major crimes, they step aside for OSP/BCI (for state universities) or the locals. A great place to take it easy and get yourself an education plus pay for your childrens education. Campus cops usually have chapped ass because they get little respect and don't get treated like real cops. They eat a lot of poop from staff and students alike.

Again, that depends on the department.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#14]
On some college campuses, security is unarmed.  At a college in Albany, security personnel are very limited.  If you are a female and being raped and they come acrossthe insident when making their rounds, their instructions are not to interfere but to observe and then be a witness.  Heaven forbid someone hurt the rapist.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sounds like a ready-made group of reserve officers or part time officers, don't it??

A lot of the smaller village PDs around rely on part time officers from these  college departments to fill out their own shift schedules.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Very little room for promotion, no specialized bureaus. No D.B, Vice/narcotics, SWAT,  K-9, mounted, aviation, marine, forensics, etc.

Your average law enforcement agency in the USA still only has around 25 officers and doesn't have many of the things you mention, let alone  Univerrsity agencies.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Your average law enforcement agency in the USA still only has around 25 officers and doesn't have many of the things you mention, let alone  Univerrsity agencies.

Yup.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Administraotrs often prefer to handle crimes as "incidents" and deal with things administratively.

Any administrator who does this would not be an administrator for very long, he or she would be so fired so fast it wouldn't even be funny.  The Board of Regents would come down on him or her like a hammer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Administraotrs often prefer to handle crimes as "incidents" and deal with things administratively.

Any administrator who does this would not be an administrator for very long, he or she would be so fired so fast it wouldn't even be funny.  The Board of Regents would come down on him or her like a hammer.

It depends on the crime. Quiet crimes can indeed get swept under the rug, so to speak. Big ones do not.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Just to stir it up....

The only reason a guy becomes a cop is he can't take a real mans military.

The only reason he becomes a campus cop is he can't take being a real cop.Just kidding, I think. LOL
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Community College Cops are peace officers in California, but are armed at the discretion of the governing board. Community college cops in San Francisco for example are not armed even though they go around the city from campus to campus in marked patrol vehicles. Wouldn't catch me doing that.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top