you mean polarized, right?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
does anyone know what the prices are for the SI series? namely the basic M frames?

i am curious.

55 for non-iridium (grey, VR28, Clear, Persimmon) 75 for black iridium
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...cost my wife $180.00 at the local sunglass hut. This is a case of you get what you pay for...

What in the hell can you possibly get from a pair of $180 sunglasses??  Can you honetly say a $180 pair of Oakley's is better than a $5-10 pair of Smoakley's?  They are all made of plastic, and all of 'em will break if you step on them, but to say one pair is better because you paid $180 for them is a little insane...

Kind of like saying Colt makes a better AR because it costs more...

So you buy you're corrective lenses at the flea market too right, because its the same thing, right? right?

Go away, and come back when you have something logical to add to the discussion.  We are talking about sunglasses here, or did you miss that part??

The Maui Jim's were a gift, so the argument still stands.  Are they better than $10 sunglasses?  The answer is still no, but it is fun to twist the frames around and not have them break!

Who the fuck are you and WHAT THE FUCK IS your problem?

Here's a clue, memory frames are available in $70 frames from your local Hour Eyes -- with tinted lenses if you like -- even photochromatic if you spring for $45 more.  They have been for several years.  In fact my uncle and father both have/had a pair.

So they were a gift, then your girlfriend was the idiot then......cool -- glad we are clear on that.  

Congratulations, you have outdone yourself!!   It takes a real winner to insult someone 's girlfriend over the internet.  I'm impressed at your level of sophistication and vast vocabulary!  You must really have some deep seeded sunglass issues if this is making you so angry.  Repeat after me, "Expensive sunglasses are good, expensive sunglasses are good".  Did that help?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:15:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
does anyone know what the prices are for the SI series? namely the basic M frames?

i am curious.

55 for non-iridium (grey, VR28, Clear, Persimmon) 75 for black iridium

honestly , then that is a good price for what they offer.
retail versions are about twice that...

i personally would buy a pair of oakleys at that price despite what i stated earlier.
i still think anything over 100$ is too much for a single pair of frames and lenses.

STLRN- i am assuming that these prices are available only to military and law enforcement, correct?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...cost my wife $180.00 at the local sunglass hut. This is a case of you get what you pay for...

What in the hell can you possibly get from a pair of $180 sunglasses??  Can you honetly say a $180 pair of Oakley's is better than a $5-10 pair of Smoakley's?  They are all made of plastic, and all of 'em will break if you step on them, but to say one pair is better because you paid $180 for them is a little insane...

So you buy you're corrective lenses at the flea market too right, because its the same thing, right? right?

Go away, and come back when you have something logical to add to the discussion.  We are talking about sunglasses here, or did you miss that part??

The Maui Jim's were a gift, so the argument still stands.  Are they better than $10 sunglasses?  The answer is still no, but it is fun to twist the frames around and not have them break!

I am making point.  Optical clarity is just as important when you use sunglasses. But apparently thats to fucking complex a concept for you to handle.  Did you miss that part when other people were trying to explain that to you or do we need need to get out the etch-a-sketch for you?

Any chance you and Shivan might be sharing a brain??  Who has it now, so I will know who to respond to next.  And to think, I once considered AR15.com incapable of comprehensible and detailed debating.  Thanks for proving me wrong!

Oh, BTW, are they even letting you play with an Etch-A-Sketch yet?  Seems to be a little out of your league right now...
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

i personally would buy a pair of oakleys at that price despite what i stated earlier.
i still think anything over 100$ is too much for a single pair of frames and lenses.

STLRN- i am assuming that these prices are available only to military and law enforcement, correct?

Well the form says Government and Military on it,  but I remember talking to the UPS man a while back and him saying the could get them at a reduced price also.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
All bow down to the $5 gas-station mirrored-sunglass boy from Georgia....

He's edjimicated us today.

Doing what I can for you, Lumpy...
Actually, they are $10 gas-station mirrored-sunglasses.  If you know where I can get them for $5, please let me know!
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the form says Government and Military on it,  but I remember talking to the UPS man a while back and him saying the could get them at a reduced price also.

hrmmm...

well if anyone else knows where civvies can get a pair for these kind of prices that would be awesome.

i might have to actually break down and try a pair.

i looked on ebay and the going price is in the 65-70$ range for the standrad SI's

i'm too worried about getting a pair of Foakleys instead of the real mccoy though.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I love the Oakley pro-m frame design but I have broken to many of theri sunglasses in the past. I now buy exclusively fake Oakley's. This the one website that I usually buy from:
Relica Sunglasses
There are many others out there, you just have to google fake oakley's. They seem almost as good as the real thing just at a lot lower price. I bought my latest two pair for $20 each.

One of the reasons Oakleys probably cost so much is due to the cost of the lawyers they have to hire to protect their designs and patents.  Anytime the frames break, even after warranty, Oakley will replace the frames for $19.

Bullshit! They will give you $20 to go towards the purchace of another pair.

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:31:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the Oakley pro-m frame design but I have broken to many of theri sunglasses in the past. I now buy exclusively fake Oakley's. This the one website that I usually buy from:
Relica Sunglasses
There are many others out there, you just have to google fake oakley's. They seem almost as good as the real thing just at a lot lower price. I bought my latest two pair for $20 each.

One of the reasons Oakleys probably cost so much is due to the cost of the lawyers they have to hire to protect their designs and patents.  Anytime the frames break, even after warranty, Oakley will replace the frames for $19.

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
hey, i think that anyone who spends over 100$ is a idiot, too.

but one mand floor is another man's ceiling and i'm sure there are things that i spend good money for that other people think are stupid.

my biggest point was that even oakley themselves are freely admitting (via the SI line) that their stuff is overpriced.

why pay 100$ for a 50$ pair of glasses?

at 50$ if anything happens to them, get another pair!

you are still where you would have been in the first place buying them at full retail...
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is my original response.  Where have I called anyone an idiot for spending $100 on sunglasses?  I love the way people like to make up things you've said!  
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Relica Sunglasses

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:32:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Relica Sunglasses

yeah, i thought that didn't sound right...

i thought maybe their policy had changed.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Congratulations, you have outdone yourself!!   It takes a real winner to insult someone 's girlfriend over the internet.  I'm impressed at your level of sophistication and vast vocabulary!  You must really have some deep seeded sunglass issues if this is making you so angry.  Repeat after me, "Expensive sunglasses are good, expensive sunglasses are good".  Did that help?

Angry?  I'm not angry at all.....a bit perplexed at your idiocy.  I guess it's par for the course here in general discussion.

You basically called anyone who spent over $100 for sunglasses an idiot.  I am using YOUR argument and insinuations to get to the root of what you said....

In the end, your girlfriend is just as big an idiot as the rest of us who bought quality eyewear.

Again, it's all good....

Wait, let's look at what I paid for my M-Frames.......$85 with a buddies' employee discount....so I guess it boils down to your girlfriend being the idiot.

Cool....carry on.

So, are you suggesting the only way to get "quality" eyewear is by spending a lot of money on them??   Once again, you were bordering on intelligent, but you slipped back off...

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd advise you check into the coating process alleged to be used on the Oakley copies.  They cite "UV400," which is apparently rarely done properly by lens manufacturers.  Basically, these copies suck and couldn't be good for your eyes.

You may want to look for discounted, polarized Maui Jims or Raybans instead .  They'll actually have UVA and UVB protection.

I have tended to lose my sunglasses real fast.  I found the solution was to buy Oakley Juliets.  They are polarized and cost me about $275.  There's no way in hell I'm losing them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Look, I am going to eat dinner now.  Shivan, you and lumpy get together and come up with as best a response as you can.  Use Lumpy's Etch-A-Sketch if you have to.  You have thirty minutes, so make me proud!!

Oh rules are rules.  Remember, it has to be intelligent and thought-provoking, so don't waste my time!
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#26]
well, moving right along to the topic at hand... anyone know where to get CHEAP OAKLEYs?
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#28]
.mil

.cop

any hookups out there?

;)

PM me if you can help
i might have some discounts through my employer that we can trade.

-colin
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 2:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]

Not arguing with you but I just sent a pair of E-wires to Oakley less than two weeks ago that had a bent frame.  Of course it was my fault but I heard how wonderful Oakley was at repairing/replacing frames.  They called me after receiving them and said it would be $93.00 to replace to frames.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 2:37:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look, I am going to eat dinner now.  Shivan, you and lumpy get together and come up with as best a response as you can.  Use Lumpy's Etch-A-Sketch if you have to.  You have thirty minutes, so make me proud!!

Oh rules are rules.  Remember, it has to be intelligent and thought-provoking, so don't waste my time!

Make sure to remind your girlfriend that she is an idiot.......mmkay?

Good.

Ok, I'm back.  Now, were you able to come up with that all by yourself, or did someone help you??  
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 2:44:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Not arguing with you but I just sent a pair of E-wires to Oakley less than two weeks ago that had a bent frame.  Of course it was my fault but I heard how wonderful Oakley was at repairing/replacing frames.  They called me after receiving them and said it would be $93.00 to replace to frames.  

FWIW - it has been a while - but i broke my ProM-frame once(a GIFT/employee discount too - 2 lenses + the hardcase for 85 bucks) and it was out of warrantty.

I called oakley up and they asked to include 17 or 19 bucks (can't remember) for postage/handling and sent me a new one with a soft case with the assurance that if it broke again - same thing. It has been 4 years though so their policy may have changed or this may be just the policy for pro-m frames which i'm sure is much cheaper to produce than the complicated metal frames.

Re the original Q - best price is through someone that works through sunglass hut etc. Unfortunately, my contact has long since moved on.
DD
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
If the name calling doesn't stop these cheap sunglasses are going to cost some accounts.

Stop behaving like little boys on the playground.

But he started it!!

Just kidding!!!

I always enjoy a little heated conversation on AR15.com!

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#34]
as I was saying about 50 posts ago I got me a pair of polarized guard dogs sidecars, has anyone everheard of them, there website was pretty cool, and they were 90 bucks for the polarized and you get 3 sets of lenses all polarized.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a set of prescription metal frame Oakleys that I got from my eye doctor earlier this year.  Pretty pricey.  When I wear contact lenses I use Oakley M frames or Half Jackets.

Really? What do they cost? I doubt I would wear them often anyway, but it would be nice to have a pair of sunglasses that look like sunglasses, I have a pair of perscription sunglasses in Rayban WayfarerII frames, but my wife claims that they look like the galsses that blind people wear.

I think I paid $240 for them.  My health insurance paid $150 something of them since they won't cover my new Acuvue Advance contacts so I paid the difference and bought my own contacts.  They would cover the Acuvue 2s but not these ones for some reason.  My Rx Oakleys are like these, but with smoke Oakley installed lenses. oakley.com/catalog/colors/eyewear/opthalmic/spike/lens_2/titanium_clear
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I wonder if anyone has ever done a blind comparison test of distortion with high-end vs inexpensive sunglasses ?

What if a person were put in a brightly lit room looking at a standard Snellen eye chart.

A pair of sunglasses is put on without letting the tester see the brand (or perhaps Foakleys are used). The person is then tested to get reading of their myopic vision.

Then the test is repeated with a second pair.

Would the myopic vision score be any better ?

If so, great, then assuming that the more expensive pair won, that proves that they have lower perceptible distortion. If no difference, or if the lower price pair wins, then either the distortion is no better, or it is not measurably better using just your eyes.

Wonder if anyone has ever done this ?

Just a thought...I'd like to see the results myself..

Ed
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Its like HK vs Special Weapons:
To somebody that doesnt know the difference (or doesnt care), they're identical and the more expensive product is not worth the extra money, but there are some out there that are willing to pay for the (however slight) edge in quality that the original offers over the knock-off.

I love my Oakley Minutes, I'm never going back to cheap glasses.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I wonder if anyone has ever done a blind comparison test of distortion with high-end vs inexpensive sunglasses ?

What if a person were put in a brightly lit room looking at a standard Snellen eye chart.

A pair of sunglasses is put on without letting the tester see the brand (or perhaps Foakleys are used). The person is then tested to get reading of their myopic vision.

Then the test is repeated with a second pair.

Would the myopic vision score be any better ?

If so, great, then assuming that the more expensive pair won, that proves that they have lower perceptible distortion. If no difference, or if the lower price pair wins, then either the distortion is no better, or it is not measurably better using just your eyes.

Wonder if anyone has ever done this ?

Just a thought...I'd like to see the results myself..

Ed

eye charts are simply quantitative, not qualitative.

just like lasik docs that promise 20/20 vision afterwards.
yeah, you can read the 20/20 line of the chart, but how sharp if it? how many of the "e" are there? are there bright halos around everything?

eye charts don't mean shit.

just because you can make out a letter doesn't mean shit about how "well" you are actually seeing it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a pair of M frames that  bought 6 or 7 yrs ago. The best $90 [then] I spent. They have been through the wringer. I would splurge for the full amount again in a heart beat. After all, it's your eyes, you only get 2 and they need to last a lifetime.

You can get the knock offs for the cool factor. But if you are serious about protecting your peepers, get the real deal.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:02:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
well, moving right along to the topic at hand... anyone know where to get CHEAP OAKLEYs?

Sometimes Sunglass Hut has a sale on them. Go be a mall rat for a minute and check.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have a pair of M frames that  bought 6 or 7 yrs ago. The best $90 [then] I spent. They have been through the wringer. I would splurge for the full amount again in a heart beat. After all, it's your eyes, you only get 2 and they need to last a lifetime.

You can get the knock offs for the cool factor. But if you are serious about protecting your peepers, get the real deal.

Good advice.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Distortion free optical clarity and protection from the truly harmful UVA and UVB rays from the sun.

Rite-Aid sunglasses won't hack it.  Sorry.

I have a pair of Costa Del Mar Fluids and the optical clarity and distortion free viewing is perfect!

By the way, I own Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt AR's not because they cost more...but because they are better.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

eye charts are simply quantitative, not qualitative.

just like lasik docs that promise 20/20 vision afterwards.
yeah, you can read the 20/20 line of the chart, but how sharp if it? how many of the "e" are there? are there bright halos around everything?

eye charts don't mean shit.

just because you can make out a letter doesn't mean shit about how "well" you are actually seeing it.

So are you trying to say that if a lens causes halos, say by spherical aberation, that it won't make it more difficult to read the letters as they get smaller ?

You are absolutely incorrect on that.  If a lens contains perceivable distortion, then it will indeed make the smaller letters harder to read and produce a reasonable measurement of lens quality.

Wal-Mart specials will make the chart almost unreadable. I'd just like to see the difference between a 'reasonable' pair of sunglasses (whatever that is) and the $200 ultra deluxe models.

I'm frankly amazed when I see someone with a $100 pair of Ray-bans and when you look at them up close, the lenses are scratched all to hell from years of wear. They'd be much better off to pitch them and pick up a new pair of any kind, but people just don't want to admit that the usable life of their sunglasses is gone.

Ed
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#44]
any sort of lens distortion including chromatic and spherical aberration as well as improper and inconsistent light transmission, etc. "can" cause standard eye charts to be more difficult to read.

a capital "E" or any sequence of capital letters however can be distorted both horizontally, vertically, diagonally and have blue shadow trailing them and still be crisp and legible.

the brain being a powerful processor can and ultimately will compensate for deficiencies in distorted lenses especially when it comes to sharply defined objects with extremely high contrast (i.e. a standard eye chart)

what your eye cannot do is compensate for the loss of accuracy and spatial relation that distortion can cause when ligning up things such as gun sights and especially when transitioning from peripheral vision (outside of the lens area) to the distorted area inside of the lens.

here is a great example:

i have a 30mm fisheye lens for my camera that resolves more line pairs per millimeter when compared to my 150mm portrait lens (medium format camera)

the fisheye image of a standard eye chart might be able to discern even one row below what the 150mm could resolve (with adequate correction for perspective- of course)

even though the 30mm undoubtedly has a qualitatively better optical arrangement- no one would dare say that such a test would be representative of its level of distortion...

what i'm trying to say is that you are interested in measuring one thing by measuring another unrelated component.  just like if you were to weigh something when what you were really looking to find was it's density. you are solving for a solution for a wholly unrelated issue.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:09:29 PM EDT
[#45]
here is a graphic i made to show you what im talking about.

#1 approximates cheap coating on lens that causes halos or bright spots on the image

#2 approximates 15-20% barrel or pincushion distortion

#3 approximates vertical compression

#4 approximates horizontal compression

#5 approximates  a double image from poor coating, chromatic aberration, etc that causes refraction of differing spectra.

#6 approximates either poor resolution, clarity or just plain ol' poor eyesight

notice that distortion is unlikely to make a contrasty image such as a black letter on a white background difficult to read. as a matter of fact the only thing that does make it hard to read is the inablilty of the optic to resolve the image (be the optic your eyeglasses, your sunglasses or your eye).

the point is that a standar eye chart tells you nothing about the usefulness of a pair of non-prescription glasses. even with scrips it only tells you their ability to quantitatively correct myopic, presbyopic or astigmatic conditions.

you might still see three "e"s on the chart, but all three might be legible as hell.

just like your "e" might be squished 30% and pulled 20% by cheap optics in your 15$ shades, but you will be able to tell that it is an "e"

now quality wise, and wether or not you will have proper situaltion awareness, balance, depth perception, peripheral vision, etc. is a completely qualitative assessment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#46]
heres an even better example than mine

Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Any chance for one of our E&E dealers making a group buy with near LEO prices??
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#48]
+1 for a group buy!
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Any chance for one of our E&E dealers making a group buy with near LEO prices??

If you do this I will buy a few pair.
Link Posted: 8/9/2004 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Relica Sunglasses

I stepped on my spring hinged polarized square wire 2.0 oakleys....sent em to oakley with a letter explaining how much of a moron I am along with the box and warranty and they came back with new frames and my lenses had been polished. I promptly bought a pair of polarized titanium framed square wires. I suspect few jokely manufacturers will do the same.

eta: I read a few posts (after posting this) about guys who have gotten hassles from oakley...
1) I never called oakley... couldn't get a live person... couldn't even find a number
2) I did email oakley prior to sending glassess.... got a canned reply that was entirely worthless
3) I sent the sunglasses in and had my new frames in short order
4) This took place this Spring (04)
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top