Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I mostly dumpster dive for food, horrifyingly enough.  In my freezer I've got five gallons of milk, ten pound of cheese, nine of sausage, two cartons of ice cream, and fifty pounds of meat.  i've been doing it for three years and haven't gotten sick yet.  Just have to be choosy and smart, ie don't grab any fresh stuff (especially meat or milk) that's not right on top.  I'll pass on it if it's not cool to the touch, as well (obviously winter is the best time for this sort of thing).  Also, fresh meat has to be cooked completely (lots of stewing and braising happening in my kitchen).

When I drove a delivery truck for a seafood company I was able to hit my prime spots nearly ever work day and at least a third of my total calories came from salvage.

Hmm...interesting...almost in a freegan sort of way.  Not sure that's my personal cup of tea to pick up food like that though.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#2]
After reading your username, I would expect you to be a DD
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I've found two nice bikes in dumpsters, a Raleigh mountain bike and a Schwinn road bike. Used them both as commuters during college. Got a couple nice fishing poles out of a dumpster in college as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:37:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Guy I know picked up the training capsule for the apollo 13 mission, built by NASA, they just threw it away at a local scrap yard.  Amazing find IMO, I got to go inside and play around with it a little, this is probably 10-12 years ago, but it was still amazing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Love it, and will never stop doing it.

I usually target hospitals, college campuses, and especially big industrial parks.

Tons of really nice treats over the years. Computing/networking equipment (the displays that large hospitals throw away are fucking amazing), electronics gear, radio equipment, blah blah blah you name it. Got some really nice stainless steel furniture from a hospital once too.

It is worth it x1000
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:04:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I know a guy who worked in a grocery butcher department during college.

Each day they would force him to throw any expired products into the dumpster.

He ate steak for every other meal for a year
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I found a couple of new computer servers laying outside the dumpster at my mom's apartment.  I put them on ebay and got $1200 for them.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Apartments always have stuff. People move out and they just don't want to hassle with it anymore. It's mostly furniture but sometimes other stuff too.

For the most part they just leave it near an entrance with a free sign on it, so it's not in the dumpster.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Love it, and will never stop doing it.

I usually target hospitals, college campuses, and especially big industrial parks.

Tons of really nice treats over the years. Computing/networking equipment (the displays that large hospitals throw away are fucking amazing), electronics gear, radio equipment, blah blah blah you name it. Got some really nice stainless steel furniture from a hospital once too.

It is worth it x1000

The hospitals around my area all send their surplus to the local electronics recycling center.  This is nice because they get EVERYTHING

from the hospitals that might be of interest, and NONE of the hazardous stuff you don't want.  It's the pick of the dumpster without having to pick through a dumpster.   I get to buy whatever I want (pretty much, some things have some restrictions) for peanuts.

Medical waste is something you want to avoid.
CJ

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top