Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prosecutors did not ask Boyd to describe the manner in which Goodson was driving the van.

On Tuesday, Goodson's attorney did.

Attorney Matthew Fraling asked Boyd whether he saw any evidence that Goodson made an abrupt stop, start or turn while Gray was in the van.

"No, sir," Boyd said.

The testimony stood out in a case that has so far touched little on the prosecution's theory that Goodson gave Gray what's known as a "rough ride" in the van last April.

Goodson is charged with second-degree depraved-heart murder in Gray's death. In his opening statement last week, Chief Deputy State's Attorney Michael Schatzow told Circuit Judge Barry G. Williams that Gray was "injured because he got a 'rough ride'" and "because of the way the officer transported him."

During the trial, prosecutors have introduced a video of Goodson rolling through a stop sign making a wide right turn.

But over four days of testimony from 19 witnesses, prosecutors have presented little other evidence to support the theory.

On Tuesday afternoon, Williams allowed the defense to call two witnesses, both medical experts who questioned the autopsy finding that Gray's death was a homicide.

Even under the prosecution's understanding of the facts, Arden said, he did not believe Gray was injured until the final leg of the van transport — after Goodson and other officers had checked on him multiple times.

Arden said Gray's injuries would have caused immediate paralysis to his lower extremities and "at best" significant impairment to his higher extremities.

Gray would have had a "very difficult time breathing, much less talking," he said.

Prosecutors have alleged Goodson was negligent and careless in not providing medical assistance at the earlier stops. But Arden testified that such attention would not have helped Gray because Gray was not injured at those stops.

The defense also called Dr. Joel Winer, a neurosurgery expert who testified that Gray's injury "isn't something that occurs through evolution," but would have been immediate — leaving Gray "floppy like a dish rag or a jellyfish" and unable to sit up, as Porter has testified he did at the fourth and fifth stops.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-goodson-trial-day4-20160614-story.html

Is this the official Freddie Gray thread for now?
View Quote

Rolling a stop sign is often smoother than stopping and then accelerating.  

I think it is highly likely that Gray injured himself intentionally, and I think they jury might very well come to that conclusion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#5]
here is some testimony that really unraveled the case

It looks like the prosecution’s case in the Freddie Gray trial of Ofc. Caesar Goodson has fallen apart

On the witness stand for the prosecution was former police
commander Stanford O’Neill Franklin, who was supposed to testify that
Goodson — who was the driver of the van — had given Gray a "rough ride,”
leading to his death.

Franklin, however, couldn’t confirm that a "rough ride” happened at all:

Wow. This cross examination of rough ride expert is…um… not going well for the prosecution.

— Kevin Rector (@RectorSun) June 15, 2016

Fraling: In review of CCTV, see any unexpected acceleration?

Franklin: No.

Fraling: Deceleration?

Fraling: Turn?

Fraling: In your expert opinion, did Goodson give Gray a rough ride?

Franklin: "I can't say for sure."

Franklin went on to say that his only knowledge of "rough rides” was from stories:

Fraling: What's basis of rough ride knowledge?

Franklin: Growing up in Baltimore, stories.

Fraling: Studied? Written about?

Franklin: No. No

Fraling, using air quotes: Judge should take you as rough ride "expert" based on anecdotal stories?

Franklin: Plus knowledge from arrests

View Quote
http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2016/06/16/it-looks-like-the-prosecutions-case-in-the-freddie-gray-trial-of-ofc-caesar-goodson-has-fallen-apart/

also, the lead prosecutor accused one of the detectives that investigated the case of trying to sabotage it...

to much to excerpt here

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/judge-denies-motion-to-dismiss-charges-in-goodson-case/40082898

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:54:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Good, Mosby should burn for this crap. All Officers should be aquitted ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BALTIMORE—A prosecutor and a police detective sparred in open court on Thursday, during the trial of the police-van driver who is charged with murder in the death of Freddie Gray.

The heated exchange occurred after Detective Dawnyell Taylor testified that an assistant medical examiner twice described Mr. Gray’s April 2015 death as an accident before ruling it a homicide days later.

Detective Taylor testified that she tried to give Ms. Bledsoe her notes about Dr. Allan’s alleged comments, but Ms. Bledsoe "pushed them back across the table and stormed out of the room in a tantrum.” She added that Ms. Bledsoe threw "another tantrum” when she returned.
Late Thursday, Officer Goodson’s lawyers called to the stand Donta Allen, who was arrested April 12, 2015, the day of Mr. Gray’s in-custody injury, and loaded into the van carrying Mr. Gray. This occurred at the fifth of six stops the van made with Mr. Gray inside. The two men occupied separate compartments divided by a metal wall.

On the stand, Mr. Allen told defense lawyer Matthew Fraling he didn’t recall anything from that day. The defense then played a videotaped statement Mr. Allen gave police that day in which he said he heard banging from the van’s other compartment.

"It sounded like he was banging his head against the metal, like he was trying to knock himself out or something,” Mr. Allen says on the video, adding that it sounded "like a crazy person.”

The medical examiner has said she believes Mr. Gray was injured before the fourth stop; if so, his neck was already broken when Mr. Allen got into the van. The defense argues Mr. Gray wasn’t hurt until after this fifth stop.

But Mr. Allen later recanted his account in media interviews. During cross-examination on Thursday by Ms. Bledsoe, the prosecutor, a more talkative Mr. Allen said he couldn’t see Mr. Gray that day and wasn’t sure he was banging his head. As for the noise, Mr. Allen testified that it "wasn’t very, very loud, but it was loud enough.”

In response to a question from the prosecutor, Mr. Allen testified that when the van reached a police station, the sixth and final stop, he heard someone say of the unconscious Mr. Gray, "We must have gave him a run for his money.” Mr. Fraling noted Mr. Allen didn’t mention hearing that comment in his statement to police.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/judge-denies-motion-to-drop-charges-in-freddie-gray-case-1466093746

I believe the judge is letting this thing run it's course so that as much information as possible is in the public record and the prosecution is seen as putting on a bogus case before he renders the "not guilty" verdict.
View Quote

There may be some sensitivity here that a dismissal or a too-quick acquittal might yield some chaos.

It's really unbelievable what's taking place here. And I recall saying the "space to destroy" comment was not as it appeared on the face. Boy was I wrong.

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#10]
They need to pull her BAR card.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I doubt Maryland yanks her ticket. I base tha on the corruption in Maryland.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#14]

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/06/16/more-mysteriously-missing-evidence-appears-at-freddie-gray-trial/

More mysteriously missing evidence appears at Freddie Gray trial

Evidence disclosed for the first time Wednesday in the
trial of Officer Caesar Goodson Jr., the van driver charged with
second-degree murder in the death of Freddie Gray, suggests that the
medical examiner performing Gray’s autopsy at one point intended to rule
his death an accident.

Assistant medical examiner Dr. Carol Allan ultimately ruled the death
a homicide. And she has stood by that ruling at Goodson’s trial, saying
that she never felt Gray’s death was an accident. "The word ‘accident’
never crossed my lips to anyone, other than to say, ‘This is not an
accident,'” she said on the witness stand on Friday.

But on Wednesday, the state acknowleged [sic] a police investigator had noted that Allen had suggested Gray’s death was an accident at a meeting last year.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What does this mean, a “truncated” case..?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt Maryland yanks her ticket. I base tha on the corruption in Maryland.

What does this mean, a “truncated” case..?

May mean something specific under MD law, but it generally means shortened or cut off
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I can't imagine how prosecutorial failure to proffer exculpatory evidence hasn't shut this down toute de suite.  

And I use "prosecutorial failure" to avoid what I really believe which is that they deliberately intended to conceal it.  

There need to be licenses to practice law revoked after this.  Attorneys almost never eat their own though, so I hold out little hope.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I can't imagine how prosecutorial failure to proffer exculpatory evidence hasn't shut this down toute de suite.  

And I use "prosecutorial failure" to avoid what I really believe which is that they deliberately intended to conceal it.  

There need to be licenses to practice law revoked after this.  Attorneys almost never eat their own though, so I hold out little hope.
View Quote

I don't know about Maryland, but I do know Virginia will reach up inside your ass and pull you inside out if there is a complaint of misconduct.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing will happen to them.  This is being driven from the top down, likely including obama and DOJ.  I pray justice will prevail for the officers.  All this talk about freddie banging himself lends credence that he caused his own injuries trying to win the ghetto lottery.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm sure the US DOJ will be jumping on the Civil Rights violations of the officers involved.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because to do so would end MM's career.  She will go on to run for Mayor, or Representative.  She could win either one.  If the case is dismissed by the judge, she's done.  Remember this is a trial by judge, not jury.  He KNOWS what he's going to do.  He denies the motion and acquits the officer.  He commends that SAO for its hard work, but the standards for conviction are high, blah blah blah.  Everybody wins.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:05:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

She's just following her policies. Needs more training.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:46:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Williams then denied a motion filed Thursday by Goodson's attorneys to allow as evidence statements made by Schatzow during closing arguments in Nero's trial last month. In those arguments, Schatzow referred to Gray being in the custody of multiple officers — not just Goodson's as the van driver — during certain points of his arrest and being placed in the van.

Williams said the closing arguments in Nero's trial had been more of a freewheeling discussion, and that it wouldn't be appropriate to let the comments into Goodson's trial.

Two defense attorneys who are not involved in the trial but have observed it said the state has put on a weak case. Warren Brown said he was surprised that the state did not take the opportunity to present rebuttal witnesses after the defense case.

"This whole thing is really an 'Alice in Wonderland' type of situation," Brown said. "I think the prosecution decided early on that they were going to prosecute, and attempted to make the evidence fit. When the [Police Department] investigation showed some reluctance in that regard, it was not acceptable to the prosecution."

Warren Alperstein, another defense attorney, said he thought the defense "did a very good job" of discrediting state witnesses, including Allan. Taylor's testimony "undermined Dr. Allan's credibility, and of course Dr. Allan's conclusions are vital to a successful prosecution," he said.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-goodson-day7-20160617-story.html
View Quote

Good.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:18:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Aquitted yet?
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:20:56 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Aquitted yet?
View Quote

Middle of next week.  Probably Wednesday, maybe Tuesday.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

In another ruling that could severely undermine the case, Judge Barry Williams ruled that the defense could allow testimony by a detective claiming that the medical examiner initially deemed Gray’s death to be an accident, rather than a homicide as the medical report says.

Williams decided to allow the defense to call Detective Dawnyell Taylor to testify about the medical examiner’s remarks, which would normally be prohibited by rules against hearsay, after ruling that the state had failed to provide the defense with potentially exculpatory evidence.
View Quote

The ME said "Accident" and later wrote "Homicide." The earlier statement is admissible in any court in the land as a prior inconsistent statement, and doesn't meet the definition of Hearsay, to-wit: "An out of court statement offered to prove the truth of the matter asserted." Because the "Accident" statement was offered only to show that the ME formerly held a different opinion or lied in one statement or the other, it isn't hearsay.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Williams then denied a motion filed Thursday by Goodson's attorneys to allow as evidence statements made by Schatzow during closing arguments in Nero's trial last month. In those arguments, Schatzow referred to Gray being in the custody of multiple officers — not just Goodson's as the van driver — during certain points of his arrest and being placed in the van.

Williams said the closing arguments in Nero's trial had been more of a freewheeling discussion, and that it wouldn't be appropriate to let the comments into Goodson's trial.

Two defense attorneys who are not involved in the trial but have observed it said the state has put on a weak case. Warren Brown said he was surprised that the state did not take the opportunity to present rebuttal witnesses after the defense case.
View Quote

That's bullshit. A statement by an attorney is made as an agent for his client during the course of the agency. Statements of a party opponent, including agency statements, are admissible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#28]
From what I can understand of everything posted so far, it seems as though there is no case against the officer's (at least for the crimes for which they

are being tried), and the entire point of this case is to have them be acquitted to further the agenda of BLM and others that "blacks can't get justice in

America".
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:52:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
From what I can understand of everything posted so far, it seems as though there is no case against the officer's (at least for the crimes for which they

are being tried), and the entire point of this case is to have them be acquitted to further the agenda of BLM and others that "blacks can't get justice in

America".
View Quote

Officer Caesar Goodson Jr. is black....
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 5:56:38 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

America".

Officer Caesar Goodson Jr.  is a cop, hence part of the system.

I admit, my view is probably horribly wrong, but with Zimmerman, and things from the original thread, and an activist president who seems

hostile to American law enforcement, I just don't trust these types of circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
She did this on purpose and she has probably gotten away with it in trials with less publicity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol.

FUCK THIS AMATEUR HOUR BITCH PROSECUTOR.

She did this on purpose and she has probably gotten away with it in trials with less publicity.
Of course she has.

A society with innumerable laws but selective enforcement is a scary thing.

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You could tell from the beginning, that Mosby was in over her head.
View Quote

That didn't happen because she was in over her head. It's basic procedure.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#33]

BALTIMORE —Closing arguments were
delivered Monday morning in the trial of Baltimore police Officer Caesar
Goodson. A verdict will be delivered at 10 a.m. Thursday.

The state challenged the notion that Gray was combative, saying he was
"passively resisting." Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams
asked that state to explain, saying resisting arrest is being
combative.

Speaking to the small size of the inside of the van, the state said
Officer William Porter is two times Goodson's size and he picked up Gray
and put him on the bench.

View Quote

The state said Gray was placed on the van's "filthy hard floor like an animal."

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/closing-arguments-set-in-trial-of-officer-caesar-goodson/40133982
more there at link
edit - basically, fun and games may be thursday, or it might be another short lived protest like last trial.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

edit - basically, fun and games may be thursday, or it might be another short lived protest like last trial.

View Quote

I heard on NPR that exactly one guy showed up to protest on the first day of this trial, and he said he wasn't even certain that Goodson should be convicted of anything, he was just pissed with the system in general.  How emotionally invested are the locals at this point?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I heard on NPR that exactly one guy showed up to protest on the first day of this trial, and he said he wasn't even certain that Goodson should be convicted of anything, he was just pissed with the system in general.  How emotionally invested are the locals at this point?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I suspect the size of the protest will be directly related on how much money Soros spends to make it happen.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:26:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could tell from the beginning, that Mosby was in over her head.

Her original statements regarding the case and it being a high profile case in the national spotlight was what I was referring to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aquitted yet?
View Quote

View Quote

Supposedly this Thursday.
Cop there says all PD leave cancelled starting on Thursday. Tac and crowd control units on 12 hours shifts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Prosecution deliberately withholding exculpatory evidence should get a dismissal and a sanction. Needs a hearing before the BAR association. And a brake check for good measure.
View Quote

If convicted , successful appeal should be a no brainer
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cop there says all PD leave cancelled starting on Thursday. Tac and crowd control units of 12 hours shifts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aquitted yet?

Cop there says all PD leave cancelled starting on Thursday. Tac and crowd control units of 12 hours shifts.

This acquittal isn't going to be much different from the others.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Baltimore Asst. Sheriff: Our office had no role in Gray investigation

New questions are being raised about State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby's investigation into the death of Freddie Gray, with a top Baltimore Sheriff's Office commander saying in an affidavit that he had "no involvement in the investigation whatsoever."

Mosby said her office conducted an independent investigation that included using city sheriff's deputies. But Assistant Sheriff Samuel Cogen, who was assigned to assist on the case, said he was given evidence after the fact and informed of prosecutors' determination.

"I was also presented with a narrative that formed the basis of the application for statement of charges that I completed by the State's Attorney's Office," said Cogen, who swore out the warrants. "The facts, information and legal conclusions contained within ... as well as the charges lodged against plaintiff came entirely from members of the State's Attorney's Office."

Cogen and Mosby are being sued by five of the six officers charged in the case, and Cogen's affidavit was filed in an effort to dismiss the lawsuit filed by Lt. Brian Rice, who alleges false arrest and defamation as a result of the charges filed against him.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm still sticking with what I had said to Bama last week.

I believe Williams has been denying all these motions all along so that: 1) jeopardy attaches, and 2) there's essentially no grounds for appeal.

If Judge Williams, as the trier of fact, finds that there's not sufficient evidence for a conviction, the prosecution is essentially stuck.

The state of the evidence right now is that Gray was fine all the times they checked on him till the end, apparently. There's no evidence of a rough ride other than speculation of the cause really couldn't be anything else. That is a tough argument for the prosecution to make, as if there is any reasonable explanation for what happened other than a criminal one, the the defendant must be acquitted. They have to logically eliminate every other reasonable possibility to win.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#43]
This is going to be another Duke before it's over with in terms of malfeasance.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:54:26 AM EDT
[#44]
verdict expected today

preps in place,

edit - baltimore sun autoplays a video so turn sound down

Freddie Gray case: Judge to issue verdict in Officer Caesar Goodson trial

A Baltimore judge is expected to issue a verdict in the second-degree murder trial of police Officer Caesar Goodson, Jr. on Thursday morning.

Goodson, 46, was the driver of the transport van in which Freddie Gray sustained a fatal injury in April 2015. He died a week later, and six police officers involved in his arrest and transport were criminally charged.

He is the third officer to stand trial in the high-profile case, which has so far yielded no convictions. The trial of Officer William Porter ended in a hung jury and mistrial in December, and the trial of Officer Edward Nero ended last month with Nero being acquitted of all four misdemeanor counts.

Police said they are ready for the possibility of protests. "Out of
an abundance of caution and sheer responsibility, leave has been
canceled," said police spokesman T.J. Smith.

View Quote

Anthony McCarthy, a
spokesman for Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, said the Maryland National
Guard is on call, as they have been following the previous trials in
the Gray case.

Members of the Peoples Power Assembly plan to
gather outside the courthouse for the verdict. The group has regularly
held small protests during court hearings for the officers.

The
group is also planning a second evening event at Pennsylvania and North
avenues in West Baltimore, where violence and looting erupted following
Gray's funeral in April 2015. Another group, which includes the family
of Tyrone West, who died during an altercation with police in 2013, is
also planning to gather outside the courthouse to "take to the streets
if police Officer Goodson is let off, or given a slap on the wrist in
the death of Freddie Gray," according to a statement. The statement says
the group will meet at the courthouse where it invites participants to
"show your outrage, take to the streets."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/freddie-gray/bs-md-ci-goodson-verdict-20160623-story.html

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Let's get ready to rummbblleee...
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:17:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Judge just got to the bench and is going over the facts of the case.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote

cbs baltimore stream up, shows about 30 protesters outside courthouse.

hopefully the protest dies out like last trial, as people realize how weak the made up evidence is

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

hopefully the protest dies out like last trial, as people realize how weak the made up evidence is

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think they really care one bit about evidence or justice?  Naw, they want their lynching.
Page / 5
Top Top