Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Double stack or nothing!

as in I want to get a double stack 9 1911 but dont want a Para and dont want to pay close to a grand for all the others.
View Quote

$1K?

Lol.

STI is $2K.

Or you can go RIA tactical. $650 on GB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=462953037
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double stack or nothing!

as in I want to get a double stack 9 1911 but dont want a Para and dont want to pay close to a grand for all the others.

Way north of a grand.  Completely satisfied though.  

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/595f53d7-0fd7-4a9e-af3e-c2b25d99df5a_zpsfb01914f.jpg

Tactical? Maurader? I want one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:36:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm. Fun gun, Metalform and Checkmate make mags, I think one of them made factory Colt 1911 mags at some point.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Double stack or nothing!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/595f53d7-0fd7-4a9e-af3e-c2b25d99df5a_zpsfb01914f.jpg

Tactical, full rail, blued matte finish, 5" bull barrel, Heinie straight eight night sights.  

Partner bought the Marauder, 5" match barrel and bushing, half rail, nitride finish and adjustable rear fiber optic front sight.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
My wife enjoyed my Star Model B in 9mm so much she kept it as her own.  She has several handguns but the Star is by far her favorite.  I should buy another.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A little caliber with small capacity mags. nope
View Quote

You would hate my buckmarks then.  Somehow they manage to be my favorite pistols though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:15:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Over on 1911forums.com they practically start fapping when a 9mm 1911 is even mentioned.  Personally I don't see the point.  A large, heavy pistol designed for the "it'll rip your arm off!" .45 cal instead shooting the pipsqueak 9mm.  And save your shit about how great "modern" 9mm rounds are, the "modern" .45 is way better.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:26:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I bought one of the Citadel's (made by Rock Island) from Buds when they had them for $329. Unbelievable gun for that price. Virtually no recoil, super nice trigger, and has not had any issues in the 300 rounds I've put through it so far. I was skeptical at this price but it's really impressive.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3ce4mOB1mK0/VK_1fLOKPQI/AAAAAAAABDs/nXAGdkCDcrE/w415-h553-no/0109151009.jpg

View Quote

I too bought a Citadel 9mm when they had that deal. Very impressed with it. Shot probably 300 rounds through it so far 0 issues. Actually very smooth action and trigger.

They come with Metalform magazines and I like them as they are pre-drilled at the bottom to add bumper pads.

I also bought 3 Mecgar mags. They are maybe a little better made, have a round follower, and are a much higher polish. However they don't have holes at the bottom and are a hard ass steel I can't dent with my hand drill and a new bit.

Mecar on the right
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Colt 9mm Lightweight Commander.  It's a joy to shoot.
View Quote

One of my grail pistols. A friend of mine found an unfired pre-series 70 9mm LC in a pawn shop and got it for a song. The counter guy told him no one wanted 1911's in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double stack or nothing!

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Over on 1911forums.com they practically start fapping when a 9mm 1911 is even mentioned.  Personally I don't see the point.  A large, heavy pistol designed for the "it'll rip your arm off!" .45 cal instead shooting the pipsqueak 9mm.  And save your shit about how great "modern" 9mm rounds are, the "modern" .45 is way better.
View Quote

It's the softest shooting pistol in 9mm available.  Damn near zero muzzle rise.

They got big with our IDPA group right before I stopped shooting so much.

I always thought the magazine's caused the problems.  Was always a crap-shoot finding one that would feed reliably.  CMC mags worked well, factory kimber mags sucked.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tactical, full rail, blued matte finish, 5" bull barrel, Heinie straight eight night sights.  

Partner bought the Marauder, 5" match barrel and bushing, half rail, nitride finish and adjustable rear fiber optic front sight.  
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/c1da4ddb-cf7e-4e75-b0bf-fbaad8ab71d4_zps8dc43f74.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Double stack or nothing!

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff295/m4pointman/c1da4ddb-cf7e-4e75-b0bf-fbaad8ab71d4_zps8dc43f74.jpg
is the Marauder worth the $300 difference? My current plan is to buy a tactical and let Dawson Precision throw in their steel parts and add FO sight.   After all that, prices between Stock Marauder and worked up Tactical will be very similar.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A herpin' and a derpin'.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

is the Marauder worth the $300 difference? My current plan is to buy a tactical and let Dawson Precision throw in their steel parts and add FO sight.   After all that, prices between Stock Marauder and worked up Tactical will be very similar.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Double stack or nothing!

It has the better finish, the half rail makes finding a holster easier, the match barrel and bushing may make the pistol a little more accurate (or it could be the target sights).  It definitely has a tighter slide to frame fit after 5000 rounds.  BUT the rear adjustable sight has been problematic in that it doesn't adjust enough and the gun shoots high, even after modification.

Personally, I like the night sights, the full rail (the rail kinda grows on you) and the recoil master (which the marauder doesn't have).  The tactical seems to shoot a little softer than the Marauder.

I guess what I'm saying is no, it wasn't worth the extra money to me.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:50:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I own four of them. Three Rock Islands. A Full size tactical, compact tactical, and a full size 9/22 TCM single stack and a 1969 Colt Commander.

The Rock Island full size 9mm is my favorite pistol to shoot. I sometimes used it for USPSA SIngle Stack last year. Almost 4k rounds through the pistol so far and it's been great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got the one OP wants. It was inexpensive, and it runs like a top. I love it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:58:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

those are pretty neat and would go good with my Spanish Destroyer Carbine in 9x19

however how hard are spare mags and spare parts to come by
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Star Model B Super is a better choice. I can shoot either 9mm P or Largo out of it.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/34sq7o8.jpg

Same with the military version with extra 9mm P barrel.

http://oi62.tinypic.com/hwcmd2.jpg

+100,  Get a Star, BKS or BKM, Great guns

those are pretty neat and would go good with my Spanish Destroyer Carbine in 9x19

however how hard are spare mags and spare parts to come by

Everything is available, for a price. Ebay and Gunbroker is good for mags.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It has the better finish, the half rail makes finding a holster easier, the match barrel and bushing may make the pistol a little more accurate (or it could be the target sights).  It definitely has a tighter slide to frame fit after 5000 rounds.  BUT the rear adjustable sight has been problematic in that it doesn't adjust enough and the gun shoots high, even after modification.

Personally, I like the night sights, the full rail (the rail kinda grows on you) and the recoil master (which the marauder doesn't have).  The tactical seems to shoot a little softer than the Marauder.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate the honest review.  Honestly, the finish was one thing I was questioning.  I'll probably stick with my original plan then.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two SVI's that I compete with.  They are by far my favorite pistols to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#22]
As soon as Springfield releases the RO compact in 9mm I'll be getting one for a new carry gun, along with a full size to go with it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Just a tip: get the tactical model. The included extras are well worth the price.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Just a tip: get the tactical model. The included extras are well worth the price.
View Quote

What brand?
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:27:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

How do these GI RIA pistols handle hollowpoints?  Are they a hardball-only gun?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got the one OP wants. It was inexpensive, and it runs like a top. I love it.

http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee513/Rugerlvr/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/92E57DC2-34A9-4272-84E8-D921740DC636_zpsxm9hptyz.jpg

How do these GI RIA pistols handle hollowpoints?  Are they a hardball-only gun?

The one my friend has is FMJ only with the original magazine. He bought some Wilson or Metalform mags(don't remember which) and it runs everything he's tried with them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#28]
My genuine 9mm 1911 Colt.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dammit Fletch, you can't just say random shit and leave.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got several currently and have worked on a good variety.  I have an old Springfield on my bench now that I'm trying to get to run .38 Super.  

They are very soft shooting and if you use a 10 round mag, the capacity isn't bad for such a thin handgun.  Sometimes they need tweaking since the makers don't always know how to set them up correctly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Seriously looking at the Citadel 9mm compact for my wife, she likes it, I'm just concerned she'll decide it's too heavy after a while.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Another thought while looking at this thread; couldn't any of these 9x19 1911's such as the Rock Islands be converted to 9x23 with just a chamber reamer and a new recoil spring?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Another thought while looking at this thread; couldn't any of these 9x19 1911's such as the Rock Islands be converted to 9x23 with just a chamber reamer and a new recoil spring?
View Quote

I am doing this with a GI Model .38Super RIA.  

Not just swapping the recoil spring.  I am replacing the firing pin stop, mainspring, hammer strut AND the recoil spring.   Just replacing the mainspring with a round as hot as the 9x23 is asking for feeding problems.  

Of course I tore the damn thing apart over a year ago, had the slide machined for Novak's and haven't made any progress since then.....

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I am all about the 1911.   I carry one.  It's a working duty weapon, not a range toy.  But if I were to make the switch from .45 to 9mm I'd go for either a Browning Hi Power or a Glock 19.  Naturally the Browning has a strong attraction to a hillbilly like me.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#35]
I own several 9mm 1911's.

Wilson mags are good.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:27:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I want a scaled down 9mm 1911.

like everything 10-15% smaller but still to GI paterns.

sure nothing would be interchangeable but it would be cool.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Star mentioned above is pretty close. No grip safety but other than that...I'd call it 90% faithful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's the SA EMP.  Not GI sized though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an old Colt 9mm Commander.  It shoots great.  If it weren't somewhat collectible, I'd carry it.  

Brand new Colt-branded mags are still made.  Colt and Metalform are the only mags to buy - others seem like junk.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

They did that a little over 100 years ago in 9.8mm. Shame it never went anywhere.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#41]

Finally... Someone classes up this thread.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top