Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Just an observation from the sidelines guys...this is really DUMB!  

I haven't a clue about what precipitated this goat-rope...I don't know who is pissing in y'alls' corn flakes and I didn't read the thread that got this going.  I'm just sitting here on the sideline trying to figger out what in the hell you boyz are talking about.

I think the thebeekeeper1 is right:  This is really silly.    Y'all ought to take it elsewhere.  What a waste of bandwidth!  

And...FWIW, I really liked the movie THEM!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm still reeling over Tequilabob was/is one of them long haired biker types. NO WONDER, we get along so well.

Lighten up guys, I think everyone on this thread has made a point or two. I call it a draw and I too am a bit over the he said he said and all this Black/White crap.  On the range we all pack a black rifle.

BTW, God can I still remember the scene when the little girl cut loose "THEEEEEMMMMM".  Still gives me the shakes.

Tj
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
"IBTL!"

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
oh no!!!  the "big hammer"  !!!!!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have it on VHS,  I'd certainly like it on DVD.  It has everything.  Proper use of a Garand sling,  firing of rifle grenades, Matt Dillon with a Thompson screaming like a girl,

Classic black and White Scifi.

You forgot all the cool 'zippo' action, the ultimate SHTF weapon for anything "weird & pissed off"...aliens, zombies, giant mutant insects, aggressive intelligent hordes of normal sized insects.....

BTW, IBTL <just in case>

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have it on VHS,  I'd certainly like it on DVD.  It has everything.  Proper use of a Garand sling,  firing of rifle grenades, Matt Dillon with a Thompson screaming like a girl,

Classic black and White Scifi.

You forgot all the cool 'zippo' action, the ultimate SHTF weapon for anything "weird & pissed off"...aliens, zombies, giant mutant insects, aggressive intelligent hordes of normal sized insects.....

BTW, IBTL <just in case>

Did you mean to say "Zippo"??? hehe

Don't forget to pre-order your AR15.com Zippos from "Tattoo" in the Merchandise section! Oh, and get a matching AR15.com watch (from me, while they last).
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 1:53:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
oh no!!!  the "big hammer"  !!!!!

Edited to add URL: www.BiggerHammer.net
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
What gun did Al Pacino use in the MOVIE
"Them"?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought "Them" was the same as "They."  You know...."They"..."They" are bastards.  "They" conspire, and carry out the murder of an 8 year old kid from a wellfare family in a Podunk, White Bread Mountain Town.

Of course we could ask Tactical_Jew what he meant by "Them," but it is unneccesary since it is painfully obvious he is talking about nuclear induced gigantism in ants.  

Giant ants can be added to a list of things related to SHTF scenarios.  In this list, I use f***ing as a prefix to all things on it.  It includes zombies, clowns, mimes, tree rats, bot flies, velociraptors, and illegal space aliens.

Killer plants (Day of the Trifids) can be added.  So can giant prehistoric mantis, (The Deadly Mantis).

Best gun for "Them" is anything that can hit the antennea.
Best gun for giant mantis is a pair of BARs and gas bombs.
Napalm works best on giant trantulas.

Bilster
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
WTF?!

This is supposed to be about a sci-fi movie from the '50s

How in the hell did it turn into one of those gay-assed "You're a racist/bigot" threads? (notice use of quotation marks)

"THEM" (Holy Shit, I used quotations again!) is a great film.

no kidding, some people really need to get some help btw "THEM" is a kickass film. I had recently been wondering if it was available on DVD and since it is, I guess I'll have to get a copy.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]

"Them" is an awesome flick! Terrific special effects for its time. One of my favorite classic sci-fi movies.

Trivia note: how many know this movie was Clint Eastwood's first acting gig, and what roll did he play?

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"Them" is an awesome flick! Terrific special effects for its time. One of my favorite classic sci-fi movies.

Trivia note: how many know this movie was Clint Eastwood's first acting gig, and what roll did he play?

Panzer Out

Sure you don't mean Fess Parker???
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does anyone know if this is available on dvd?
www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/sc/posters/web/Picture89.jpg

I think I will have to get the DVD if it exists.

Welcome back!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#14]

If you want to use a 'word' why dont you simply use the word you MEAN.  Whatever that word is.  Instead of being a coward and attempting to hide what you mean behind a thin veil.

using the 'n' word is against the forum conduct code

using it tends to result in mods locking threads

it offends "them"
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

If you want to use a 'word' why dont you simply use the word you MEAN.  Whatever that word is.  Instead of being a coward and attempting to hide what you mean behind a thin veil.

Nooooooo, NOT AGAIN!!!

it offends "them"

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nooooooo, NOT AGAIN!!!

it offends "them"

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Panzer Out

Sure you don't mean Fess Parker???

Fess Parker made his acting debut in 1950 in the movie "Harvey." When "Them" came out in  1954, he was pretty much established as an actor and getting steady gigs all the way up to his starring role in TV's Davy Crockett.

Panzer Out

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't remember seeing Clint Eastwood in "Them".  I do know that he played the pilot that dropped the napalm on the tarantula in "Tarantula".  He also was a lab assistant in the beginning of "Return of the Creature".

Vulcan94

Oh, IBTL!
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't remember seeing Clint Eastwood in "Them".  I do know that he played the pilot that dropped the napalm on the tarantula in "Tarantula".  He also was a lab assistant in the beginning of "Return of the Creature".

Vulcan94

Oh, IBTL!

You know what, Vulcan94? You're right! I got the two movies confused! It must have been Leonard Nimoy I was thinking of. Oh well, there goes my movie trivia crediblity!

Panzer Out

Oh, what the hell... IBTL.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Naw Them had James Arness in it,I still remember the whinning errie shrill just before the Giant Ants would attack! (but I think they were giant black ants)!
 Bad JUJU THEM ANTS!

Bob
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=14484

Thanks for clearing up the 'THEM' reference.  It went way over my head there.

Sorry, but no particular reference intended. Except to the general course of the thread.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#22]
WTF?  Some of you guys saw these movies when you were kids?  Damn, I'm posting with a bunch of geezers.

BTW, all the racial stuff is getting kind of annoying, and from here on out, I'm not even touching any of it at 300 yards with my varminter, even though I could since I am such a good shot(must be the youthful eyes).
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#23]
What about the movie "They Live"?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:39:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I remember seeing "The Crawling Eye" when I was little, and it scared the HELL out of me.  The scene where the tentacle was grabbing the little girl and Forrest Tucker chopped it off freaked me out!  I would have many a nightmare about that movie.  Now, I just laugh my A** off at it.  Now, one of the best 50's SciFi movies is "The Monolith Monsters".  Even today, It holds up well both in plot and effects.  I would really like to see a remake using modern effects for that one.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I am a middle-aged white male with blue eyes. I went shooting with CavVet, just him and me, way out in the boonies. He didn't even try to shoot me. I'm not worried.

THEM was a great movie, for it's time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#26]
What was the movie with the black monolith that kept growing because everbody was trying to kill it with a-bombs?

CW
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#27]
The Monolith Monsters.

[url]http://imdb.com/title/tt0050720/[/url]

That flic scared the crap out of me as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#28]
How would white phosphorus(sp) work against Giant Ants?? Might have to load up some extra mags for the Fal.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Monolith Monsters.

[url]http://imdb.com/title/tt0050720/[/url]

That flic scared the crap out of me as a kid.
View Quote

Thanks, but that wasn't it. As I remember the thing was eating power off of the power grid. Then they nuked it and it didn't phase it, it just started growing. There was only one monolith as I remember an it was mobile with stomping rectangular legs. Please pardon me for the less than spectacular description, this was in the early 60's.

CW
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:54:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey, I remember that thing......uhhhhhh, uhhhhhhhh, it'll come to me......
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, you should have said it had legs in the first place. [:D]

Kronos.

[url]http://imdb.com/title/tt0050610/[/url]

Got that one on DVD.  A "B" classic.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:02:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Kronos.

View Quote

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!!! We have a WINNAH!!![;D][;D]

Thanks AW, I've been thinking about that movie off and on for years.

CW
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 10:12:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Kronos.

View Quote

From the link plot summary:

"A giant asteroid nearly five miles wide crashes into the ocean near Mexico. A trio of scientists, led by Les Gaskell, investigate, and discover a giant machine. Meanwhile, a colleague of the scientists has been possessed by an alien electricity, and is controlling the actions of a 100-foot-tall robot, which is heading for Los Angeles and destroying all in its path."

Damn, I really wish it had succeeded.

CW
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:21:47 PM EDT
[#34]
[b]
JohninAustin wrote:

I have it on VHS, I'd certainly like it on DVD. It has everything. Proper use of a Garand sling, firing of rifle grenades, Matt Dillon with a Thompson screaming like a girl,

[/b]

I believe that the actor that screamed like a girl was not Matt Dillon (James Arness) but James Whitmore. He got caught by an ant after saving the kids from the sewer system draining into the Los Angeles river system. Yeah, I saw it as a kid on tv in the late 60's.

DWM
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
"THEM" Trivia.
Look at the New Mexico State Police uniforms.  This film was made in the 50's.  Look at a uniform today.  No changes have been made.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Here is some "Them" and "The Monolith Monsters" trivia.  The ambulance attendant in "Them" was also the weather man in "The Monolith Monsters".  He also played Patty Duke's father in "The Patty Duke Show".  You know, I feel really old right now. [:D]

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is another piece of movie trivia for you. I haven't seen the movie Them in years but in one scene a man is grabbed by an ant and he screams. If you are familiar with the scream, go watch Star Wars. They lifted this scream from Them and inserted it into Star Wars as a storm trooper is shot and falls just before Luke & Leia swing across the chasm in the Death Star. Now I can't be sure but I think they might have also used this scream again during one of the fire fights in Star Wars Episode 1.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What round would be best to defeat zombified giant ants?

What about a 50-foot Al Pacino?
View Quote

The best round would be fired from the 50-foot Pacino in the movie HEAT.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top