Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

We would all need some kind of special hat or something so the cops would know to leave us alone.

You can't set me up that nice and expect me not to deliver....

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We would all need some kind of special hat or something so the cops would know to leave us alone.

You can't set me up that nice and expect me not to deliver....

farm1.static.flickr.com/35/103226219_b6c586a161.jpg

I knew it was coming.  I'd still wear that hat if it granted me immunity.

ETA: I almost said in the original quote that we should have some kind of badge so they would know to leave us alone.  Then I realized you can already get one of those from joining the police.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I wonder how differently things would have turned out if he hadn't told them he was a journalist...

Or that he didnt speak english.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So blacks and hispanics are profiling the blacks?

I know some black cops who hate young black men who cultivate a hip hop or gangster lifestyle.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:27:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So blacks and hispanics are profiling the blacks?

I know some black cops who hate young black men who cultivate a hip hop or gangster lifestyle.

Sometimes "racism" and "profiling" is nothing more than "conditioning."

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Sheriff Taylor would have split his head with a night stick for lying about not speaking english.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:29:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The cops might have been in the wrong, but the reporter is a racist.  

How is he racist?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I wonder if he's any relation to Jayson Blair.

Probably not; he's with the NY Post, not the NY Times.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:31:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Reporters never lie or embelish. I believe every word he said.  

+1
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#10]

I never knew Wave's last name was Castillo.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:31:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Life is harder when you're stupid.  Dont lie to the popo.

Especially when the popo ambush you with ridiculous questions.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I stopped reading at "reporter"
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I stopped reqding at "reporter"

I've never "reqded."
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

WRONG!

The only bigots in this story are the cops.

All cops involved in this should be disciplined or terminated.  

I lean towards termination.

No cause for a Terry stop, and then they arrested him?

This is like that bad cop in St. Louis all over again.

John
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Since there had been problems in the area, the cops were well within their "rights" to ask him who he was & what he was doing. It's called I N V E S T I G A T I N G, showing a police presence, working a 'beat' . . . etc. The guy should be thankful they were there and being vigilent.

That said, under other circumstances, I'd be on the side of those questioning the cops' stopping him in the first place, however.

"Papers please" has no place in the vocablulary of a cop in the US - except under these (or similar), circumstances.

*Ha! How's THAT for wanting it both ways?!?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:54:54 AM EDT
[#16]
So, what about the charges??

The noise complaint makes me wonder. Was this moron reporter driving down the road with his stereo cranked up too loud? That would make sense for that charge.

He is driving one of the most popular stolen cars in the US. Problem #2.

The area has had a ton of break-ins... #3

So, the police see a guy driving a car, which is routinely stolen, blaring his stereo, which is against the law, and then the guy is a jerk about the whole situation..... yep, problem #4

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I honestly wish there was a "Do Not Respond" list for LEO bashers. You hate cops so much then handle shit yourself. Don't call for help, don't ask for a report to be filed and don't bitch when you're a victim of crime. Just handle it yourself. If you call 911 you get kicked over to the ACLU switchboard.

I don't hate cops at all, but I do think there are WAY to many of them.
I would love to trade half as many police, for twice as much crime.

I know you are are being sarcastic, but what you are proposing would be wildly popular.
I would Opt Out in an heartbeat.  No "help" requested, and no hassles expected.

Let me know who to contact for my special hat and tax refund.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:58:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I don't hate cops at all, but I do think there are WAY to many of them.
I would love to trade half as many police, for twice as much crime.

This statement alone shows how clueless you are........
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Thats about the best way to sum the story up.

On the other hand, I'd say the cops took it a little too far also.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:01:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WRONG!

The only bigots in this story are the cops.

All cops involved in this should be disciplined or terminated.  

I lean towards termination.

No cause for a Terry stop, and then they arrested him?

This is like that bad cop in St. Louis all over again.

John

I see who is sitting at the front of the ignorance bus today
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Freedom costs lots of $$$ and if you don't have $$$ you don't have a chance in the legal system.

It's surprisingly easy to get arrested for nothing
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Freedom costs lots of $$$ and if you don't have $$$ you don't have a chance in the legal system.

Jail and prison are full of "inncoent" people
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Of course, didn't you guys see Shawhank?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Three assholes meet on the street. Nuff' said.

holy shit....
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Especially when the popo ambush you with ridiculous questions.

Dont lie and say you dont speak English when you do.  Lying pretty much shoots your harrassment case right in the ass.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Recruting standards go down, pay goes down, more screwballs get job and think it's their job to shove people around. You get what yo pay for and Americans are cheap.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jail and prison are full of "inncoent" poor people

Fixed for comedic effect.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#28]
I just want to know how this is a race issue when the two cops involved are also "minorities".   I was under the impression that only whites and white cops can be racist when stopping or dealing with a person of another race/color.  Is there some metamorphosis that happens when Hispanic and/or Black people pin on a badge and they turn into a Caucasian? Does this metamorphosis reverse when they take off the badge or uniform and go home?  In this case is the reporter eluding to the idea that because Officer Castillo is Hispanic he is also a white by default based on the idea that Castillo is a European-Spanish name and not Mexican, Puerto Rican or Dominican? Is Officer Reynolds is just an Uncle Tom doing the white mans bidding, sort of like the Mansion slave?  It's things like this that I just rather refer to everyone in my preferred term of asshole.  Same shit different bucket.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I was picked up by CID in Panama for supposedly dealing drugs to other soldiers.  They arrested me downtown in front of the "My Place" bar.  As we were driving back to the CID offices in Corozal the 2 agents cooked up a story between them in Spanish as to what they were going to put in the report.

When I called my CO to come get me I asked him to bring a copy of my 3/3/3 Spanish DLPT score sheet.  He didnt understand at first, but in the end he understood.

I was released with no charges, and the 2 agents had their creds revoked and ended up taking the Post Desert Storm Early Out.  I dont remember their names, but I wonder if they are the 2 dudes the reporter ended up meeting.............

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:39:26 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about if he had been honest and answered the Officer's question in the first place?

"That is my car, I live in that house and I am returning from work. Would you like to see my license or registration?"

They would have said no need and sent him on his way. He showed his ass and got called on it. Consider it a cheap life lesson.

Is there a requirement to "show papers"?  Do the cops have the right to ask?  Seems to fall outside PC/RS/Terry stop.  "It's a dangerous neighborhood" is not is not PC.

Lots of things the guy could have done - uncle tom them to death, show all his papers, and kiss a lot of cop ass.  Some people just don't feel comfortable grabbing their ankles at the flash of a badge.  However, some can't grab their ankles fast enough.

I didn't think this would make it an entire page before someone made a "Nazi/Show the papers" reference. Thanks Arfcom for not letting me down.

You said he should offer, I said he didn't have too.  License/registration are still "papers".
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:49:13 AM EDT
[#31]
The cops have a "right" to ask...... outside a PC/RS stop or other investigatory contact.  Now, since it would then be a consentual issue, the person could refuse.

This stop is at least RS.... if not PC with the noise violation. So, he is usually obligated to ID himself, depending upon state law.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Okay, so the apologists are completely ignoring the fact that the cop is the one who rudely asked if the reporter speaks English after he responded to a stupid question with "What?" and instead treats it like the guy was smart mouthing the cop unprovoked.

This is hopeless.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Okay, so the apologists are completely ignoring the fact that the cop is the one who rudely asked if the reporter speaks English after he responded to a stupid question with "What?" and instead treats it like the guy was smart mouthing the cop unprovoked.

This is hopeless.

When confronted by two DICKHEAD cops... (I'm assuming it was apparent by that point)

You know DAMN SURE what provoking them will get you, and it ain't gonna be happy!

Some cops are cool, some are looking for confrontation.
My point here, is if you felt the cops were looking for it,
DON'T GIVE IT!

This guy gave it back, and the cops had their fun. I think he knew damn well what was going to happen, and I believe his intent was to write about it the next day.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#34]
all cops get from me when i am oustide my car is name, address, and a folded copy of kansas state law(not rick roll)

i am not uncooperative, but assertive. they get nothing not given them by law. the rest is mine, all mine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
all cops get from me when i am oustide my car is name, address, and a folded copy of kansas state law(not rick roll)

i am not uncooperative, but assertive. they get nothing not given them by law. the rest is mine, all mine.

They don't have to articulate to you the reason for the detainment/investigation. Handing over the printed out printed criminal code is a street lawyer move that is going to produce more trouble for you. Do you think the police are unaware of that law and you are helping to educate them? Are you wrong, No. Will it spur on some police officers and result in your continued detainment. Yes.

ETA: There are better ways to fight for your civil liberties then getting into pissing matches with street cops. It isn't the time nor place.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:41:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is hopeless.

When confronted by two DICKHEAD cops... (I'm assuming it was apparent by that point)

You know DAMN SURE what provoking them will get you, and it ain't gonna be happy!

Some cops are cool, some are looking for confrontation.
My point here, is if you felt the cops were looking for it,
DON'T GIVE IT!

This guy gave it back, and the cops had their fun. I think he knew damn well what was going to happen, and I believe his intent was to write about it the next day.

yeah, if some thug is looking for a confrontation, just back down. never mind self respect and civil liberties.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They don't have to articulate to you the reason for the detainment/investigation. Handing over the printed out printed criminal code is a street lawyer move that is going to produce more trouble for you. Do you think the police are unaware of that law and you are helping to educate them? Are you wrong, No. Will it spur on some police officers and result in your continued detainment. Yes.

here in Topeka, they already threaten arrest you when you refuse to provide id when being stopped on the street. that is why i started carrying that. i was tired of being fed shit by guys with chips on their shoulders. also, when that more trouble comes, that what the voice recorder is for. sometimes those dashcam tapes get lost, my tapes dont.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

here in Topeka, they already threaten arrest you when you refuse to provide id when being stopped on the street. that is why i started carrying that. i was tired of being fed shit by guys with chips on their shoulders. also, when that more trouble comes, that what the voice recorder is for. sometimes those dashcam tapes get lost, my tapes dont.

You get stopped on the street that often that you need a copy of the law in your pocket?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#39]
NYPD cops put up with ALOT of bullshit all day. If you mouth off to one, expect the worst.   They over reacted for sure but in the end they are people, people who can have a bad day = low tolerance for bullshit.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You get stopped on the street that often that you need a copy of the law in your pocket?

yeah. i walk everywhere, live in a shitty neighborhood where a load of crime happens. its a similar situation to what happened to that guy. lot of cars get broken into, i walk home past lines of cars on the side of the road in the middle of the night. once is enough for me.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is hopeless.

In alot of parts of NYC, English is NOT the first language.

Yup.  when I was up there for the UNGA, one of my buddies asked an officer for some directions.  The officer looked like he won the lottery, because we spoke English
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Reporter was a smart ass to the cops.  The cops were a little heavy handed in response.  Try as I might, I can't get very excited about this story.

This should not happen to any law abiding American, ever.

How fucked.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm sure that these were just reasonable actions by the police to ensure their own safety. Whatever mistreatment this guy got I'm certain he had it coming

Holy shit, another thing we absolutely agree on.

HE HAD IT COMING,

WTF was he thinking, trying to walk from his car to his house.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The cops have a "right" to ask...... outside a PC/RS stop or other investigatory contact.  Now, since it would then be a consentual issue, the person could refuse.

This stop is at least RS.... if not PC with the noise violation. So, he is usually obligated to ID himself, depending upon state law.

RS for walking while black?

Wow.

TXL
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
reporter is a moron.  should've just answered the cops.  moron.

www.oneposter.com/UserData/Poster/Poster_26263.jpg

The reporter is not a moron, the cop was being an asshole.  We don't live under martial law you know.  Maybe because he was black he should have assumed the submissive position and let the cops do whatever he wanted.

Lord knows if some cop did that to me I would have been just as snarky.  But then again, i'm not a black guy with no money.

One of the problems with modern urban black culture is that it encourages you to send exactly the wrong signals to people.  I knew a few cops in Austin who hated stopping cars of young black people -- except military -- because the little fuckers would just not stop moving.  They would typically be dealing with windows so dark that they couldn't tell if there was a driver, let alone the race of the driver, so it wasn't racism.  But the young black kids would not a)shut the fuck up, b)answer the few basic questions, c)stop doing things with their hands, and d)cooperate in the most basic way, 'cause they were keeping it real!  It wasn't that they were black, it was that they were doing everything possible to freak out the cops.

I have a feeling that this guy did everything wrong and the cops reacted defensively because in places like NYC, if you use your best judgement and happen to be wrong, the cop goes to jail because they are assumed to be guilty.  So they do everything assuming the worst.  He's a reporter -- he can't possibly be unaware of this.

How To Not Get Your Ass Kicked by the Police

The reporter was not in the wrong.  LEO apologists fail to note one thing.... DID HE BREAK ANY LAWS?  Note, that being a smartass isn't breaking the law.

You all assume that because some people have badges, the sheep must bend over and take it.  While I've never had to allow the police to walk all over me because of my own social and economic standing, it still worries me many are accepting the obvious misuse of power by some bad apples in the law enforcment community as being normal, or part of the business.

Hah.  

Maybe the reporter should have just got on his knees and begged for forgiveness from his masters... He shouldn't have been coming out from his own car and he's "not even from the ghetto".  

Let's waste everyone's time and money by teaching this reporter a lesson, OBEY YOUR MASTER, or else we'll summon you to court for bullshit charges!

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:47:22 PM EDT
[#47]
You 'civil liberty' peeps can take it back over to DU. We elect people who appoint CLEOs who hire officers ostensibly to 'serve and protect.' But you jump on their case as soon as they try to do the job, even when the leftist/democrat/journalist/SVU wannabe who made the claim could have diffused the entire situation by simply cooperating in a minimal fashion.

I guess the officers should have gently walked up, tapped the gentleman on the shoulder and asked, 'Uh, excuse me sir. We were wondering if you could briefly explain to us if you have pressing business in this neighborhood at present?' That works ALL DAY on the street. Sheesh....

I'm sure that our master's degree wielding journalist would have happily complied and answered appropriately. Unfortunately, 99 times out of a hundred that would fail and be pretty friggin dangerous. But then again, they're just police officer's, who cares, right? They should be trained to operate under the assumption that command presence is not necessary, and that every person they run into will be 100% compliant, polite and non-violent.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
The reporter was not in the wrong.  LEO apologists fail to note one thing.... DID HE BREAK ANY LAWS?  Note, that being a smartass isn't breaking the law.

Section 195.05 Obstructing governmental administration in the second degree

A person is guilty of obstructing governmental administration when he intentionally obstructs, impairs or perverts the administration of law or other governmental function or prevents or attempts to prevent a public servant from performing an official function, by means of intimidation, physical force or interference, or by means of any independently unlawful act, or by means of interfering, whether or not physical force is involved, with radio, telephone, television or other telecommunications systems owned or operated by the state, or a county, city, town, village, fire district or emergency medical service or by means of releasing a dangerous animal under circumstances evincing the actors intent that the animal obstruct governmental administration. .

Obstructing governmental administration is a class A misdemeanor.

Straight from New York Penal Law

So yes, with intent, being a smartass IS a crime.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#49]
NYPD cops have an attitude that anyone who lives in the city is the bad guy or or is a loser, I am sorry if this may hurt some guys on the job, NYPD cops become calloused and skeptical over time. Most NYPd cops don't live or associate with anyone in the precints they work and become alienated. When I moved to Florida the opposite was true, I do not miss NYC. I am sorry if I offended any NYPD, they have a rough job.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Section 195.05 Obstructing governmental administration in the second degree

A person is guilty of obstructing governmental administration when he intentionally obstructs, impairs or perverts the administration of law or other governmental function or prevents or attempts to prevent a public servant from performing an official function, by means of intimidation, physical force or interference, or by means of any independently unlawful act, or by means of interfering, whether or not physical force is involved, with radio, telephone, television or other telecommunications systems owned or operated by the state, or a county, city, town, village, fire district or emergency medical service or by means of releasing a dangerous animal under circumstances evincing the actors intent that the animal obstruct governmental administration. .

Obstructing governmental administration is a class A misdemeanor.

Straight from New York Penal Law

So yes, with intent, being a smartass IS a crime.

OK then, so off to jail this reporter will go for willfully choosing not to speak English for 5 seconds.  He was clearly a threat to society and his community!  You see, I doubt any court anywhere will consider saying "no hablas ingles" then saying "yes, that's actually my car" seconds later will be considered obstructing the police.  Unless of course, your lawyer sucks ass, in which case you can call Arnold and Porter LLP.

"Do you understand English!" he demanded. "Answer the question!"

"No, no hablo ingles," I quipped. Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't have said that to any cop, but I found his tone surprising and insulting.

Officer Castillo peppered me with questions in Spanish until I interrupted: "What do you mean by 'What was I doing coming from that car?' That's my car!"

"So you speak English!" Officer Castillo exploded.

This clearly warranted the subsequent treatment this Journalist endured.  Sorry, but I don't see his behavior as being outrageous.  I would do the same to a cop who talked to me that way, but of course, my car, skin color, and clothes would probably not invite a cop to be a dick to me.  Sucks to be you if you are poor and black "homey"

RESPECT.  THEIR.  AUTHORITAH!!!

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top