Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]
"Chatter" is quickly becoming the new buz word when talking about threat levels and I'm kinda getting tired of it. Its kinda like that infamous term "assault rifle" in that there is no real substance to it when refering to civilian rifles.  What exactly is "chatter" or terror speak? Do "they" actually learn anything when "they" overhear "chatter"?  Or is it just radio/internet traffic that picks up in intensity but no real discernable information is garnered?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"Chatter" is quickly becoming the new buz word when talking about threat levels and I'm kinda getting tired of it. Its kinda like that infamous term "assault rifle" in that there is no real substance to it when refering to civilian rifles.  What exactly is "chatter" or terror speak? Do "they" actually learn anything when "they" overhear "chatter"?  Or is it just radio/internet traffic that picks up in intensity but no real discernable information is garnered?

I think they see cell-phone, internet usage, etc going up for certain 'groups-of-interest', and have decrypted enough of it to get alarmed about something...  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The word "chatter" always creeped me out for some reason...

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Anyone think that Al Qeda is running a pretty cost-effective war?  They've got a few aggitators running around in Iraq, put out an Osama video every year or so and generate "chatter" that causes widespread panic.  We'll spend a few billion $$$ chasing it down and preparing for ... whatever it is, if anything.  

If these guys were Hezbollah blowing up shopping centers every couple of days I'd be less jaded but Al Qeda's rapidly becoming a one hit wonder in my book.  Chase 'em down and stomp 'em out but I wish folks would stop going weak in the knees about these folks.  Man up and get back to business.  Or is this one symptom of terrorism in the age of cover-your-ass?

where exactly has this wide spread panic been?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they see cell-phone, internet usage, etc going up for certain 'groups-of-interest', and have decrypted enough of it to get alarmed about something...  

what?  I  mean if there is a specific threat would it not be our best interest to be informed?  
more eyes and ears...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
macman37, I for one appreciate the info. My earlier comment was intended to express the level of my admiration for their organization......not as a comment on your posting of the info!!

Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I meant that in anyway toward you or your post!!

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
macman37, I for one appreciate the info. My earlier comment was intended to express the level of my admiration for their organization......not as a comment on your posting of the info!!

Just wanted to make sure you didn't think I meant that in anyway toward you or your post!!

No updates since earlier.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
aren't you making a new post about a new threat at least a few times a month?

no seriously, always watch your six.  Hope my CHL comes back in time.

I just like to keep my ear to the ground is all.

If it bothers any of you guys I'll stop posting stuff like this or just post it in the Survival forum - I like Arfcom a lot and would like to use it as a clearinghouse of sorts to distribute information such as this, as well as other things obviously. LMK and I'll ask for a lock.

Thanks for the post. Everybody has a chance to agree with it or call BS. Keep them coming.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:17:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

www.eng.umu.se/monster/john/images/chatterer.jpg

I always thought creepy critters 'chittered', not 'chattered'. Anyways, a GIS for chatter reveals:

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Chatter means the government found something out and doesn't want anyone to know how they found it out.  A couple of years ago when the threat level went to orange a couple of times supposedly due to chatter, it was because they captured some relatively important figures and pulled some specific attack plans off their computers.  Or so it was explained to me.  Chatter could have anything, everything, or nothing to do with terrorists talking to each other.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it bothers any of you guys I'll stop posting stuff like this or just post it in the Survival forum - I like Arfcom a lot and would like to use it as a clearinghouse of sorts to distribute information such as this, as well as other things obviously. LMK and I'll ask for a lock.

I, along with probably gazillions of others, appreciate these posts immensely.  Please keep them coming-we all need to be reminded.

HH

+1000
Keep these reminders commin. There are tons of threads on ARFCOM daily so what is one heads up thread?
          Macman, as you can see from most of the responces that Arfcom has become a place of Sunshine and lollipops. Why? Well as you can see Arfcom has become an "equal opportunity" website, "islamophobia" is now frowned upon. Weather you're a person newly returned from Iraq and wanna talk about the effectiveness of the M4, OR You're a "ethnic student" Who wants to know what the best weapon for killing "apostates" is, All are welcome. Remeber that small woman from poltergeist? "all are welcome, all are welcome, step into the light."  

In the last 7 months we've seen
1. Massive "teen riots" riots in France and Europe,
2. A cartoon Jihad with world wide riots
3. A missle attack into Pakistan,
4. The Holiest Shia mosque has been blown to pieces,
5.Our troops are about to get caught in a three way civil war,
6. Afghanistan has seen a renewed rise in Taliban activity,
7. The election of a terrorist Hamas Govt in palestine,
8. Sharon and his peace movement are in a coma,
9. And IRAN is about to get the BOMB!!!
But don't worry here on Arfcom everthing is wine and roses, Move along nothing to see here, Here click on this link about "toilet Hobbits"
And please listen to this wonderful  Muzak version of  the beach boys "good vibrations"
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.eng.umu.se/monster/john/images/chatterer.jpg

I always thought creepy critters 'chittered', not 'chattered'. Anyways, a GIS for chatter reveals:

img238.imageshack.us/img238/8496/skeyboard2bp.jpg

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Fear fear fear

loss of American freedoms

More fear fear fear

More loss of American freedoms

Even more fear fear fear

the republicans  must be really sweating '08. this kind of "warning" sure seems to be a trend when the white house is in the ringer.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone think that Al Qeda is running a pretty cost-effective war?  They've got a few aggitators running around in Iraq, put out an Osama video every year or so and generate "chatter" that causes widespread panic.  We'll spend a few billion $$$ chasing it down and preparing for ... whatever it is, if anything.  

If these guys were Hezbollah blowing up shopping centers every couple of days I'd be less jaded but Al Qeda's rapidly becoming a one hit wonder in my book.  Chase 'em down and stomp 'em out but I wish folks would stop going weak in the knees about these folks.  Man up and get back to business.  Or is this one symptom of terrorism in the age of cover-your-ass?

where exactly has this wide spread panic been?

www.widespreadpanic.com/
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:36:34 AM EDT
[#16]
This is slightly off topic however I thought it be pertinent. I have two neighbors, one an NYC cop and another was in Emergency Man. in the Mayors office during WTC attack. They both say stock up your guns and ammo, something big is on its way. While I don't really need an excuse to buy more stuff, what could they really be referencing? Is it just "chatter" from our sides or is something suspected?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:38:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is slightly off topic however I thought it be pertinent. I have two neighbors, one an NYC cop and another was in Emergency Man. in the Mayors office during WTC attack. They both say stock up your guns and ammo, something big is on its way. While I don't really need an excuse to buy more stuff, what could they really be referencing? Is it just "chatter" from our sides or is something suspected?

Well, if they were REAL buds they would be a little more specific now wouldn't they?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:44:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, if they were REAL buds they would be a little more specific now wouldn't they?

+1!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:46:34 AM EDT
[#19]
quote]

Thanks for clarifying!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
quote]

Thanks for clarifying!

Like you said, most of us don't need any reasons to buy more stuff. But it would be most helpful of them to be a little more transparent when they tell you this stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:15:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Have you guys seen this site?

Seems comprehensive. Nothing on future attacks that I've found but it's a very interesting repository of incidents worldwide and domestically.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Have you guys seen this site?

Seems comprehensive. Nothing on future attacks that I've found but it's a very interesting repository of incidents worldwide and domestically.

Interesting site...thanks for the link.

Terrorist Incidents > by Perpetrator Characteristic Range: 01/01/2004 - 06/30/2005  

Perpetrator Characteristic >Fatalities >Wounded >Hostages >Victims

Christian Extremist 31 433 191 42 666
Environmental/Anti-Globalization 8 0 0 0 0
Islamic Extremist (Shia) 23 43 90 5 138
Islamic Extremist (Sunni) 931 3844 9477 291 13612
Islamic Extremist (Unknown) 86 171 727 45 943
Jewish 2 0 4 0 4
Secular Political/Anarchist 2379 2503 5321 19252 27076
Tribal/Clan/Ethnic 20 84 158 1 243
Unknown 4903 6769 15140 586 22495
TOTAL 8334  13847  31108  20222  65177

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:05:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

oh nos, Teh end of teh world!!!!@!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:21:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep posting-your posts are more interesting than "who would win in a fight between marines and a swat team" or reading the insanity from the Bush can-do-no-wrong sycophants
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
according to stats ARFCOM chatter ia up WAY over pre9/11 levels.

*Rabblerabblerabblerabble*
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#28]
If there is increased chatter, it is concerning how they can surrender.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Macman has it right.  At some point, they'll HAVE to produce an action(s) that back up these wild threats or they'll lose the faithful.

We're on "our last warning"....OK, so bring it on and let's see what you've got.

HH
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Macman has it right.  At some point, they'll HAVE to produce an action(s) that back up these wild threats or they'll lose the faithful.

We're on "our last warning"....OK, so bring it on and let's see what you've got.

HH

Yeah I guess I'm tired of this garbage too.

Funny how news works... One minute, something (like this) is everywhere, next day you're digging for that info and nothing's been updated.

Oh well. No new-news right now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Providing it had existed, what DHLS Threat Level would the country of been at on 9/11/01?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Providing it had existed, what DHLS Threat Level would the country of been at on 9/11/01?

But we will predict the next big attack! OK, so we missed the first WTC bombing. And 9/11. And Bali. And the London train attacks. And Madrid. Etcetera. But the next big attack, well, that is the one we will hear about in the news before it happens!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But we will predict the next big attack! OK, so we missed the first WTC bombing. And 9/11. And Bali. And the London train attacks. And Madrid. Etcetera. But the next big attack, well, that is the one we will hear about in the news before it happens!

Something in your post caused my sarcasm meter to redline...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 12:53:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Something in your post caused my sarcasm meter to redline...

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

OK, maybe just a little.

I believe it is largely impossible to predict an attack when the attackers are operating closed cells of only a few people. Think about it. If you and 3 or 4 of your buddies plotted and conspired to go buy some beer, how hard would it be to keep that information from the authorities (not to mention the press) untill you actually go out and buy that beer?

At this point, if there really is 'increased chatter', it is just to fuck with us.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

OK, maybe just a little.

I believe it is largely impossible to predict an attack when the attackers are operating closed cells of only a few people. Think about it. If you and 3 or 4 of your buddies plotted and conspired to go buy some beer, how hard would it be to keep that information from the authorities (not to mention the press) untill you actually go out and buy that beer?

At this point, if there really is 'increased chatter', it is just to fuck with us.

Here's hoping buddy.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:37:57 AM EDT
[#36]
abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3997181

Terror task force probing suspicious activity around Chicago landmarks
Sears Tower officials reported incident
WLS By John Garcia

March 15, 2006 - ABC7 News has learned the terrorism task force is looking into two suspicious cases in downtown Chicago. They happened within the last three weeks. Investigators describe one of the incidents as frightening.
Related Links

* Watch the Video

The incidents involve two landmark Chicago buildings, the Sears Tower and Boeing World headquarters. Since 9-11, the Sears Tower building management in particular has increased security efforts several times over. But the law enforcement sources say, nevertheless, they are concerned about these latest incidents.

The entire incident was recorded on Sears Tower video security cameras. The tape is now in the hands of the Joint Terrorism Task Force. It shows three suspicious looking men parked right in front of the building near the loading dock.

They get out of the car in point formation, with two of the men appearing to serve as lookouts, and a third taking pictures of the building with either a video or still camera. When building security noticed them guards made them leave. They failed, however, to ask for identification, and if they had, it may have been phony, because authorities later learned the car was rented under a fake name.

A law enforcement source who has seen the video describes it as very frightening.

Mark Spencer, a spokesperson for the Sears Tower said, "We reported this situation to federal authorities immediately after it occurred. We are confident that federal investigators will thoroughly investigate the situation."

There is no video of a second incident, around the same time of a suspicious individual who was seen sketching the Boeing headquarters building. Building security questioned that man, even took pictures of his sketch but again failed to get an ID or even a picture of him.

Chicago police are part of the terrorism task force and a spokesperson says the incidents are being investigated. She says incidents like this have to be taken very seriously but should not be cause for alarm.

According to those who have seen it, the security camera video from the Sears Tower does not show clear pictures of the men, at least clear enough to identify them. There may be an innocent explanation for what they were doing there, but at this point, investigators have no idea what that might be.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#37]
The recent plot foiled in Baghdad would surely has qualified as a huge attack and would have had devastating  effects

Not a dirty bomb, World Trade Center, or anything like it, but would have world wide impact

Al Qaeda Terror Plot Foiled
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:21:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=local&id=3997181

Terror task force probing suspicious activity around Chicago landmarks
Sears Tower officials reported incident
WLS By John Garcia

March 15, 2006 - ABC7 News has learned the terrorism task force is looking into two suspicious cases in downtown Chicago. They happened within the last three weeks. Investigators describe one of the incidents as frightening.
Related Links

* Watch the Video

The incidents involve two landmark Chicago buildings, the Sears Tower and Boeing World headquarters. Since 9-11, the Sears Tower building management in particular has increased security efforts several times over. But the law enforcement sources say, nevertheless, they are concerned about these latest incidents.

The entire incident was recorded on Sears Tower video security cameras. The tape is now in the hands of the Joint Terrorism Task Force. It shows three suspicious looking men parked right in front of the building near the loading dock.

They get out of the car in point formation, with two of the men appearing to serve as lookouts, and a third taking pictures of the building with either a video or still camera. When building security noticed them guards made them leave. They failed, however, to ask for identification, and if they had, it may have been phony, because authorities later learned the car was rented under a fake name.

A law enforcement source who has seen the video describes it as very frightening.

Mark Spencer, a spokesperson for the Sears Tower said, "We reported this situation to federal authorities immediately after it occurred. We are confident that federal investigators will thoroughly investigate the situation."

There is no video of a second incident, around the same time of a suspicious individual who was seen sketching the Boeing headquarters building. Building security questioned that man, even took pictures of his sketch but again failed to get an ID or even a picture of him.

Chicago police are part of the terrorism task force and a spokesperson says the incidents are being investigated. She says incidents like this have to be taken very seriously but should not be cause for alarm.

According to those who have seen it, the security camera video from the Sears Tower does not show clear pictures of the men, at least clear enough to identify them. There may be an innocent explanation for what they were doing there, but at this point, investigators have no idea what that might be.

More links on this one...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#39]
More interesting commentary from the Counterterrorism blog...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top