Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#1]
You guys are WAY behind the times.  I gots me the latest version.  Here's a screen shot of my PC booting up:

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously love Windows 8. I've been using it for a month or so now and I won't go back to Windows 7. You don't have a start button as you are used to it, but the home page basically becomes the start menu with tiles for everything. The tile system is customizable for what you want to do and you have the option of clicking to the "desktop" which is exactly like the classic windows desktop except that there is no start menu. If you hover your mouse in the lower left corner you can click back to the tiles.

I've had no trouble and much more reliability under 8. And Microsoft is going to allow upgrading from any Windows OS for around $40.00 which is a huge price drop from previous versions.

As soon as the new MS Surface has been out for a while I'll be dumping my iPad to get one.

From what I'm seeing, it will be more like $70, with NewEgg and Tiger Direct offering it for $60. Still not bad and still enough to make me want to buy at least one copy, for the heck of it.

Metro looks to be a better solution for touch-enabled machines, though, and I don't have any, so I doubt I'll be much inclined to use it over 7 for the foreseeable future.

I believe there is a 40 dollar upgrade through Microsoft until Jan. or so. Upgrade from Windows XP home (or newer) to Win8 Pro.

There was also a 15 dollar upgrade offered to Win 7 users that purchased a new PC after June 1st. I registered 2 laptops for that a couple months ago. No idea if that is still available.

Edit:

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-pro-costs-40-if-youre-running-xp-vista-858859
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously love Windows 8. I've been using it for a month or so now and I won't go back to Windows 7. You don't have a start button as you are used to it, but the home page basically becomes the start menu with tiles for everything. The tile system is customizable for what you want to do and you have the option of clicking to the "desktop" which is exactly like the classic windows desktop except that there is no start menu. If you hover your mouse in the lower left corner you can click back to the tiles.

I've had no trouble and much more reliability under 8. And Microsoft is going to allow upgrading from any Windows OS for around $40.00 which is a huge price drop from previous versions.

As soon as the new MS Surface has been out for a while I'll be dumping my iPad to get one.

From what I'm seeing, it will be more like $70, with NewEgg and Tiger Direct offering it for $60. Still not bad and still enough to make me want to buy at least one copy, for the heck of it.

Metro looks to be a better solution for touch-enabled machines, though, and I don't have any, so I doubt I'll be much inclined to use it over 7 for the foreseeable future.

$39.99 from Microsoft.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Win8 = Vista v2

Technically speaking, Win 7 is Vista V2 WITH the optimization that Vista should have had out of the gate. At the core they are the same kernel.

If anything Win 8 is Vista V3 (kinda, sorta).
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Windows 7 is awesome. No need for an upgrade.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe there is a 40 dollar upgrade through Microsoft until Jan. or so. Upgrade from Windows XP home (or newer) to Win8 Pro.

There was also a 15 dollar upgrade offered to Win 7 users that purchased a new PC after June 1st. I registered 2 laptops for that a couple months ago. No idea if that is still available.

Edit:
http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/windows-8-pro-costs-40-if-youre-running-xp-vista-858859

Somebody needs to send Staples, TD, and NewEgg the memo.

Who' have thunk MS would have been that reasonable? Now I HAVE seen everything.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:37:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agree that Win 7 is hella good, but at $40......

Well, I might get a copy or two.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:40:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agree that Win 7 is hella good, but at $40......

Well, I might get a copy or two.

Exactly... I don't like it but for the 15 dollars x2 I will grab it and continue using 7 for a while until I feel like getting around to messing with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 9:53:52 AM EDT
[#9]
If you happen to dislike the Win 8 start screen business (it takes a bit of getting used to) you probably will like that it boots considerably faster on the same PC than Win 7 does (and Win7 is already pretty fast). I've also found that applications, including non-Metro ones load faster.  I have a few year old laptop that has a core2 duo CPU and 2 gig of ram and it boots considerably faster on Win 8 than my fairly modern desktop gaming PC w/ an i7 CPU and 8gig RAM running win 7.  (both are on traditional HDD not the SSD style yet)
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$39.99 from Microsoft.

Is that the 64 or 32 bit version?  Or both?

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$39.99 from Microsoft.

Is that the 64 or 32 bit version?  Or both?

On that site it doesnt differentiate between 32 and 64 bit other than slightly different system requirements.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit:

Somebody needs to send Staples, TD, and NewEgg the memo.

Who' have thunk MS would have been that reasonable? Now I HAVE seen everything.

$40 for a digital download. $70 for a retail disk.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#13]
On the upgrades does your old os stop working?  I'm not giving up my xp till i have to.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

On the upgrades does your old os stop working?  I'm not giving up my xp till i have to.

That's the whole point of doing an upgrade. It upgrades your current operating system...

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#15]
I read about the core of 8 a couple months back and thought it had a lot of potential and a few nightmares.  Willing to bet they culled the potential and increased the nightmares.

I really liked the concept of it running entirely in a virtual machine - which could be economically portable and backed up.  Not sure if that made it to release or not.  At that point it was essentially a cell phone OS for big devices.  The office space I live in, it will be a long time before all our software become "apps" in a Microsoft store.

Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's the whole point of doing an upgrade. It upgrades your current operating system...

Even if it's a downgrade like vista from xp? I have a couple spares keys though i may have to try it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:15:39 AM EDT
[#17]
7 is pretty good, but I think my days with windows or mac are limited.

The only things tying me to windows are a few games, namely steam and starcraft 2.  Once steam finishes their linux beta this month, that will tip over to linux, and surely blizzard is smart enough to follow.  The only reason I stick with mac is that I still have the endire adobe cs5 suite for mac and so I fire that up every once in a while.  That and Textmate, which is the best text editor for programming I have ever used, hands down.  Damn thing only works on Mac and I am too lazy to make a clone of it for linux.

I dont see myself buying another operating system tho, honestly.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The only things tying me to windows are a few games, namely steam and starcraft 2.  Once steam finishes their linux beta this month, that will tip over to linux, and surely blizzard is smart enough to follow.  The only reason I stick with mac is that I still have the endire adobe cs5 suite for mac and so I fire that up every once in a while.  That and Textmate, which is the best text editor for programming I have ever used, hands down.  Damn thing only works on Mac and I am too lazy to make a clone of it for linux.

The problem is, even if Steam gets their client working in Linux, most games still dont.. So you'd end up having to run them in an emulator and from my experience that really just does not work well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#19]
While not a reason to upgrade from 7 to 8, I do like the fact that Windows 8 comes bundled with an anti-virus program.  That's something Microsoft has needed to do for a long time.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 11:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is, even if Steam gets their client working in Linux, most games still dont.. So you'd end up having to run them in an emulator and from my experience that really just does not work well.

As far as I understand it Valve is pushing/helping developers of games on Steam to prep native linux versions.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While not a reason to upgrade from 7 to 8, I do like the fact that Windows 8 comes bundled with an anti-virus program.  That's something Microsoft has needed to do for a long time.

That is comforting.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

1. Create a recovery drive to be used when you need to refresh or restore your PC. You can find more about it in this blog post.
  2. Connect to your Microsoft account
  3. Configure your PC to sync your settings
  4. Load apps from the Store
  5. Turn on File History
When your PC is replaced or needs to be reinstalled:

1. Use the recovery drive to restore the operating system
  2. Connect to your Microsoft account
  3. Configure your PC to sync your settings – this will bring your settings back
  4. Go to the Store and reinstall your modern apps
  5. Reinstall legacy apps
  6. Connect your old File History drive and restore everything – this will restore your personal files
It may require more steps than a file or image restore but has some clear benefits:

• You do not restore any "no more desired” software or settings that were on your system
  • You do not restore sources of some problems that you might have (or create new problems if you restore to different hardware)
  • You do not restore settings that may cause your system to perform badly or fail

This is bullshit.

yea new file history widget is the new backup , but the old Win7 backup is still there in control panel and works the same in win 8 also , hasnt changed but they named it win7 restore util or some such name.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That should have been in Windows for a LONG time. To be fair, it was more of a legal thing than MS not wanting to bundle it in the OS. 3rd party AV vendors, like most businesses, don't like competition.

An analogy I use often is: Imagine buying a car that, from the factory, was susceptible to having the wheels fall off unexpectedly unless you bought a part from a 3rd party.

Also with many virus vectors that aren't OS related, "paid for" third party AV software isn't the value it once was.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Linux is so sluggish on the desktop. I have a Linux Mint 13 install with Cinnamon, and even with vanilla Gnome 2 desktop Windows is lightning fast compared.
Link Posted: 10/25/2012 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Linux is so sluggish on the desktop. I have a Linux Mint 13 install with Cinnamon, and even with vanilla Gnome 2 desktop Windows is lightning fast compared.

Have mint 12 on a 1.8g socket 462 and it runs fine. I need to get some dvd's so i can try 13 since it's ltr.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Purchased and downloading now...

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm up and running with Windows 8 now.  Just one question.................

HOW DO YOU TURN THE FUCKING THING OFF???????????????????

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:40:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Open the right 'slide' menu by sliding from the right edge of the screen or by hitting Windows key + I then there's a power option.

FWIW, most of what you used to find on the first page of the old 'start' menu is now in that right hand slide menu.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:43:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I see "Search", "Share", "Start", "Devices", and "Settings".  No "Power".

ETA:  Never mind, found it.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Sorry, for got to say its in the "Settings" thing.  If you have a keyboard and hit Win + i that comes up directly to 'settings'.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 10:57:18 AM EDT
[#31]
This image is helpful also. It has all the shortcut keys for Win8.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/F/329703/original/4667.Keyboard_2D00_shortcuts_2D00_for_2D00_Windows_2D00_8_5F00_5756566F.png
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#32]
CTRL + ALT + DEL also works.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sticking with 7, no problems for me so far and runs just fine.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Hover over the bottom left windows button on the screen, then click settings you should see an icon that says "power" click that for restart/shutdown options.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#35]
In regards, to OP's post.  

This is standard desktop layout (minus my background icons of course)

and this is what happens when you hover over where the "start" button used to be.

I find W8 to be very usable.  If you're using W7, there is no reason i can conceive to upgrade except for the mild performance increase, and even that is negligible.   The interface is as much a different beast as jump from XP to 7 was, so if you don't wanna learn it, you won't be missing anything.

ETA: I will say however, the indexing system is VASTLY superior to any old windows versions.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

hhahahahaha ,  yea....get the download in my first post like I told everyone and be enlightend
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:39:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Deciding between a Win8 Pc or a Mac here.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:44:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I just ordered a laptop with Win 7 because I don't wanna wait and get stuck with Win 8.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I can see in a year or 2 when we have cheap windows 8 tablets under 300$ , it will have potential.  They really should just have 2 buttons on the start screen one that says Tablet GUI and one for PC GUI , it will save alot of bitching and headaches . I'm guessing we will see them add a old style start menu back in within a few months maybe...

Preliminary windows 8 tablets are priced higher than iPad's.  Given licensing cost, I doubt we will see sub-$300 windows tablets.

Microsoft is getting it's ass kicked and wants for force it's windows users to adopt a platform where they can make inroads on the mobile world.

They forget that nobody actually likes windows.  

If you own microsoft stock, I'd sell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OSX is still usable.

Anyway, I really like 7. Other than the new interface, are there any other substantive improvements in 8? I haven't played with it yet.
Windows 8 seems to be much faster in my opinion than Windows 7.   I think part of that is they finally completely ditched the Windows Aero stuff that I never really liked.

I didn't like it at first but the new metro start menu has grown on me.  I like the live tiles.  

For all of those with Windows 8, the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut comes in real handy.  Opens up a list of commonly used stuff like the control panels, run command, etc.  

Aero is still there.  They ditched Glass.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OSX is still usable.

Anyway, I really like 7. Other than the new interface, are there any other substantive improvements in 8? I haven't played with it yet.

Windows 8 has performance improvements across the board.  And several new features that certain things a lot easier than with the options available in older versions.

The only "bad" thing people have to say about windows 8 involves metro.  Which will likely end up progressing the way the ribbon interface has.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/23/3537710/windows-8-review

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-8-1093002/review/page:9#articleContent

I'm told they got rid of the Backup and Restore that 7 had. If so, what have they replaced it with? The one in 7 is fantastic, since it allows you to image a running machine. It's the first backup and restore included with Windows that allows a bare-metal recovery.

I haven't looked into it at all, but it seems that SkyDrive is their quasi-solution.

Microsoft has lost cloud data.  I will never trust a cloud solution they are involved in.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

If you happen to dislike the Win 8 start screen business (it takes a bit of getting used to) you probably will like that it boots considerably faster on the same PC than Win 7 does (and Win7 is already pretty fast). I've also found that applications, including non-Metro ones load faster.  I have a few year old laptop that has a core2 duo CPU and 2 gig of ram and it boots considerably faster on Win 8 than my fairly modern desktop gaming PC w/ an i7 CPU and 8gig RAM running win 7.  (both are on traditional HDD not the SSD style yet)

Windows 8 doesn't really shut down.  It just hibernates.  The boot time is bogus.

Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It took 7 for me to dump XP, so I'll have to wait till 9 or whatever comes after 8 before changing again.  

Yup...

DOS - whur ma mize?
3.1 - UI LOL
3.11 - single user is for pansies
95 - SUCK
98 - 95-what?
98SE - SUCK
2000 - meh, at least it was stable
Me - SUCK
XP - solid
Vista - SUCK
7 - pretty decent
8 - SUCK

This was typed off the top of my head, so sorry if I mixed any orders or missed any
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 11:58:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You guys are WAY behind the times.  I gots me the latest version.  Here's a screen shot of my PC booting up:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/hammet999/sss/20121025_131251.jpg

Remember installing that shit from floppy disks?
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:01:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Mac ...oh never mind
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys are WAY behind the times. I gots me the latest version. Here's a screen shot of my PC booting up:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/hammet999/sss/20121025_131251.jpg

Remember installing that shit from floppy disks?

I did it once jsut to say I did it. Never would I do that shit again!

Just thinking about that large stack of floppies makes me laugh.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/285777_3759143787699_341378659_n.jpg

and this is what happens when you hover over where the "start" button used to be.

I find W8 to be very usable.  If you're using W7, there is no reason i can conceive to upgrade except for the mild performance increase, and even that is negligible.   The interface is as much a different beast as jump from XP to 7 was, so if you don't wanna learn it, you won't be missing anything.

ETA: I will say however, the indexing system is VASTLY superior to any old windows versions.

Share your wallpaper?
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/285777_3759143787699_341378659_n.jpg

I'm buying it just for the wallpaper.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something may be wrong with your install, because I have never had a sluggish linux install.  Ubuntu 12.04 and Fedora 17 on my desktop, Mint on my laptop.  They are awesome and I am gravitating towards them more and more.
Link Posted: 10/26/2012 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
If you’re not sold on the futuristic backup and recovery features that are native to Windows 8—or perhaps you’ve just upgraded or are using a traditional PC—you can continue using the Windows 7-style Windows Backup utility and create system image backups. Microsoft really hides this interface, but here’s a trick for finding it. Using Start Search, search for recovery and then choose Windows 7 File Recovery from the Settings results list. Look familiar? It should.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-picking-backup-strategy-144428

Works for me.  

I can't believe they listened to their users on this. No seriously, I don't care how many of them said they weren't worried about catastrophic failures, they're fuckin' retards. Ignore them.

Yeah, rather shocking only ~5% of people made use of 7's Backup/restore features.

People really are clueless.

I would have loved to use it, but every time I tried to backup, it'd run for tens of hours then die on me.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top