Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Buffalo bore 38 +p , any flavor. It will be fine in your guns.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of people recommending ammo that underpenetrates when it expands. Use something tested by an actual expert like GKR. And shoots to point of aim from your fixed sight revolver.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to carry the gold dot short barrel 38 rounds but I believe I read somewhere they actually don't perform that well so I switched over to the Underwood 158gr LSWCGC in standard or +p.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry Gold Dot Short Barrel in my 642.
View Quote
Absolutely the best choice.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got Hornady 158gr XTP's in my 642.  Not sure if that's the best but it's what I carry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
A 158 gr semiwadcutter has very good penetration out of the two inch stubs. I carry the Gold Dots in summer, the SWCs in winter when carrying my 442 or 642.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 9:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
158 swchp. Any manufacturer. For practice I shoot a low velocity swc that are hand loaded. Then I run one cylinder of the standard stuff through it.  

For me, 642s and other small 38s are about as fun to shoot as having your small kid step on your nuts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Lots of people recommending ammo that underpenetrates when it expands. Use something tested by an actual expert like GKR. And shoots to point of aim from your fixed sight revolver.
View Quote
who?
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
First post nails it and all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First post nails it and all.
Gold Dot is always the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
who?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
who?
DocGKR

He recommends Ranger 130 +P Speer Gold Dot 135 +P (SB) and funnily enough, my humble 148 full wadcutters.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:18:14 PM EDT
[#12]
OST
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah 642.

I like the 637 because SA option, but yeah 642...

Or LCR.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 11:26:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No +P.  Gold dot the best one so far.
View Quote
The Gold Dots are simply the best available IMO
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was going to suggest this, but they're +P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
158gr lead SWC hollow points by Win, Fed, or Rem
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Was going to recommend this but OP said no +P.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Was going to recommend this but OP said no +P.
Whoops! My Evelyn Wood Speed Reading Dynamics® course failed me again...
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A 158 gr semiwadcutter has very good penetration out of the two inch stubs. I carry the Gold Dots in summer, the SWCs in winter when carrying my 442 or 642.
View Quote
Why the ammo change based on weather? Remember heavy clothing increases penetration of jhp handgun bullets.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#18]
+ another on the 135 short bbl gold dots
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
+ another on the 135 short bbl gold dots
View Quote
That's the best of the JHP options. But it's performance has been inconsistent from lot to lot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 11:47:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
DocGKR

He recommends Ranger 130 +P Speer Gold Dot 135 +P (SB) and funnily enough, my humble 148 full wadcutters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
who?
DocGKR

Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:57:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
who?
DocGKR

Stephen, I am not familiar with your wadcutters. Where can I get info on them and are they plus P?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm actually pretty butthurt I missed out on that Ranger 130gr +P sale at GT recently.  Was $15/50 IIRC.

I use Critical Defense +P or 158gr LSWCHP +P. Remington or Speer brand.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Stephen, I am not familiar with your wadcutters. Where can I get info on them and are they plus P?
View Quote
148Gn WC

use coupon code 15YEARS for 30% off and free shipping.  They are not plus P. they are the lowest recoiling factory ammo you can buy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
148Gn WC

use coupon code 15YEARS for 30% off and free shipping.  They are not plus P. they are the lowest recoiling factory ammo you can buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

148Gn WC

Thanks Steven
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's what I carry in my 649.

Remington uses the softest lead, according to massage ayoob.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
I like 148 grain wadcutters.

Blasphemy, I know.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Nyclad.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:27:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Speer Gold Dot 135 +P SB is probably the "best" round.

I carry 148 grain WCS, yeah it doesn't expand, but its low recoil, hits dead on to the sights, and is easy to shoot.
View Quote
Both of those firearms can handle +P.  Fire enough to check POI and function, train with cheap ammo.

When I was purchasing ammo for my J frame, I determined the Speer Gold Dot +P short barrel load to be the best.  If they make it in standard pressure, that would probably be a decent choice as well.

Otherwise, Hornady makes a Critical Defense Lite load, but penetration is lacking from what I remember.  One of the wadcutter or 158gr lead hollow point loads may be the way to go if you don't want +P.

I have the Critical Defense +P, because the Gold Dots were sold out everywhere. The recoil really isn't much more than standard pressure loads.  Your revolvers can handle +P.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#29]
There are several factors to consider when selecting ammunition for a "snubby"

Is the ammo available at a cost you can afford to buy enough for testing and practice?

Does the ammo shoot to point of aim in your revolver? My 442 shoots to point of aim with standard pressure 158Gn. if i use +P 125 Gn it shots about 4" low and two inches left at 7-yards.

Does the ammo penetrate a minimum of 12" in all the FBI tests? You have to watch out for under penetration by the JHP rounds. expansion decreases penetration. its better to have a non expanding bullet that penetrates 18" than an expanding bullet than only penetrates 9"

Muzzle flash and recoil. This is where a shot timer will come in handy. Hang a playing card at 7-yards. get out the shot timer and compare how fast you can hit the playing card 5-times with the various loads you are considering. if you can hit it 5 times in three seconds with option A, but your extremeunderwoodedbuffalocorbon +P+++ three dollars a round ammo takes you 7 seconds to hit five times because the gun shifts too much in your hand under recoil, go with option A.

One you work all those things out, then you can start working about which bullet expands a fraction of an inch more.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Well, I have ordered the following ammo to try in both the Colt Detective Special and S&W PC 642 J frame:

Hornady 38 Special 158gr XTP Custom Pistol Ammunition 25rds - 90362

Winchester 38 Special+P 130gr PDX1 Defender Ammunition 20rds - S38PDB

Speer 135 SB Plus P Gold Dots

Federal HST 130 Plus P ( the new round just introduced earlier this year)

** I will likely order some of the Double Tap Wadcutters that Steven told me about later. **

I currently Have 148 grain Federal Match Wadcutters and Hornady lite 90 grain loads.

I plan to shoot all of these through both pistols over the next several weeks to see what works best in each gun. Several of you advised it would be ok to shoot Plus P in limited quantity through the Colt so I have ordered a few different ones and will likely carry one of the Plus P loads for the defensive round.

I thank all of you for your input and advice. As I had said these two guns are my first revolvers so I wanted input from those with experience
regarding good reliable SD ammo.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top