Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the Bible allows physical discipline on wayward children, why didn't this woman just use her religious beliefs as a defense?  If people can claim their religion allows them to carry daggers, or that Sharia law is acceptable in their community...I don't see why Jews and Christians can't point to our shared scriptures as a defense.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
The pussification of America.

Yep.  

No father present. And if he is, no spanking.

We now have a culture of inconsiderate, entitled, slobs and dullards. But they're good at X-Box...

PS: No one is recommending abusive beatings, but an occasional whack on the ass can focus a child.

This post nails it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything.

Bull.  It teaches them that if they act up, there are consequences.

For all of the time this country was ascending, parents spanked their children as needed.  As we've gotten away from that, this country is in decline.  Correlation is not causation, but I'm damn sure it's a factor.

I took a few spankings as a kid, and am a better person for it today.  And I don't give a shit if Oprah doesn't think my mom should be Mother Of The Year.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Serious question...

When in public and a parent is spanking their child where is the cut off from a normal spanking to the parent has gone to far?

I got the belt when I was a kid (and wooden spoons).

I have had no need to spank my daughter and as I indicated before I cant really ever see myself doing that with her as she responds well to other things.

Back to my question... When do you intervene? I wont stand in a store and let some parent beat their kid but where is that line??
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That's really funny about this though. Is people bitch about "pussification in America" and then when they see a video of a teacher slapping a kid on the wrist or whatever, they get all furious. LOL, you can't have it both ways, folks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Back to the original story.
It looks like the paternal grandparents found a way to get custody of their grand kids. The paternal grandparents found the red marks from a spanking, and reported the mom. After the trial, the grandparents have custody until mom satisfies the court.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything. In fact families that spank yield children with more violence levels. If your kid does something stupid then put them in timeout/grounding/take away something and explain to them why they are being punished and to not do it again. Don't get hysterical, be mature and handle it like an adult.

So was that your 4 year old that kept saying "hey asshole" to me as his mother giggled?  The world is full of shitbirds who don't know to fear being a shitbird to the wrong person.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:55:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Spanking is almost always one tool available for discipline in a structured, loving home.

I've heard of people who "don't believe in spanking," but never met any of these people.

The linked story is so ludicrous, it reads like a hoax.  Perhaps there is more to the story.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#10]
corpus christi wins again

that whole fucking county is fucked up like a soup sandwich.  it's an embarrassment just to be its neighbor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything. In fact families that spank yield children with more violence levels. If your kid does something stupid then put them in timeout/grounding/take away something and explain to them why they are being punished and to not do it again. Don't get hysterical, be mature and handle it like an adult.

do you even have kids?

I know

YOUR KIDS ARE Perfect angels...

or
you havnt had teenage males yet have you..

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Worked for me and my brother.  Funny how kids act worse today than back then.  They also seemed to have more respect for other adults.  Werid......
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spank my children when they do something that is potentially dangerous, or they are REALLY having a breakdown and other methods have failed.  That said, I watch out what I post in spanking threads because you never know who's reading/posting or why...  There are some weirdos out there who beat off to this stuff.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/a57f8e41.jpg

What the fuck?  

Seriously, what the fuck.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't have any kids do you?

Implying you know the best way to teach a kid something because your sperm fertilized an egg.

So you don't have kids, and don't know what you're talking about. Thanks for clarifying......
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:57:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Implying you know the best way to teach a kid something because your sperm fertilized an egg.

its called experience.  he has it, and you dont.  that simple
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I feared spanking.  

I got a chill up my back the other day when my wife was going through drawers
in the kitchen.  It was the sound of kitchen drawers, opening up and, closing
fast that made me flash to my mom's search for a wooden spoon.

I'm 43 years old.

Wooden spoons would break. It was the nylon spatulas that put the fear of god into me.

It never broke, and I got it laid across my ass more than once.

I deserved it every time, and, It probably kept me on the free side of the bars.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That's really funny about this though. Is people bitch about "pussification in America" and then when they see a video of a teacher slapping a kid on the wrist or whatever, they get all furious. LOL, you can't have it both ways, folks.

The teacher is not the parent.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:58:20 PM EDT
[#18]

I was spanked. It was never done in the heat of the moment but was reserved for later when both parents were present.

It was a lot like a judge laying sentence then having the punishment carried out.

Afterwards my parents would always explain that they loved me and that the lesson was to understand that actions have consequences.

I am now 43 and have been parenting this way with my two children, one of whom is eight months away from being an adult.

They have learned about authority and respecting rules and that sometimes the law comes down hard.

It may sound weird to some these days but it seems to work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:58:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Oh just stoppit with all that!
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?  How can a 6 year old understand "Adult reasoning".... Spank the damn kid if they need it...

Don't do that.

It's bad.

Pain.  Short, sharp, and, painful....Done with love and a want to correct bad behavior.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The teacher is not the parent.

I would beg the teacher/principal/coach to beat me and not send a note or call my parents.  Nothing they could do would ever match what would be waiting on me at home.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 1:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So that's a no then.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Serious question...

When in public and a parent is spanking their child where is the cut off from a normal spanking to the parent has gone to far?

I got the belt when I was a kid (and wooden spoons).

I have had no need to spank my daughter and as I indicated before I cant really ever see myself doing that with her as she responds well to other things.

Back to my question... When do you intervene? I wont stand in a store and let some parent beat their kid but where is that line??

I think this is a "I can't define it but I know it when I see it" kind of thing.

Examples:

1)  Over the line:  I saw a woman dragging her young child by the arm, practically dislocating his shoulder, he was screaming and in pain.  She then beat on him with her closed fists once she got him into the car.  It was WAY over the line.  I reported her car and plate number.

2)  I have seen numerous children get pulled away from immediate view, put over a knee, and spanked with an open palm.  Shit is GTG as far as I'm concerned.

#1 above is the ONLY time I have ever reported someone else (I HATE the state's intervention into our parenting and into our private lives), and if I had it on video, I'm pretty sure anyone would agree with me.  It was over anyone's line.  Especially in public.  Especially on a two year old.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes i do

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:01:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Jeez some peoples children... by that I mean you.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:01:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have zero faith in educators as the aritrators of right and wrong.

I got lucky.  My teachers were pretty a political, and, genuine articles.

The teachers today are garbage.

Report to me what happened.  I'll handle my child how I see fit.

I assure you, All of my boys pay attention to what I say.  They also
aren't cruel...Bullies, and other associated high school trash
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nothing more to say really

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I spank my children when they do something that is potentially dangerous, or they are REALLY having a breakdown and other methods have failed.  That said, I watch out what I post in spanking threads because you never know who's reading/posting or why...  There are some weirdos out there who beat off to this stuff.

What the fuck?  

Time to put in some work dawg...

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#29]
spanking vs time out.. here is how i compare the two..

time out is what we do to criminals in the US, they do something bad and we put them in time out (prison) then they are let out and do it all over again and try not to get caught again.

spanking is like parts of the middle east, when someone gets cought steeling something they get their hands cut off, not very many people steal things over there.

well maybe not to this extreme but its more on the basics of  Reinforcement theory that  says that behavior is a function of its consequences, that behaviors followed by positive consequences (i.e., reinforced) will occur more frequently, and that behaviors followed by negative consequences, or not followed by positive consequences will occur less frequently.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck?  

I snuffed him out in this thread: Linky
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have zero faith in educators as the aritrators of right and wrong.

I got lucky.  My teachers were pretty a political, and, genuine articles.

The teachers today are garbage.

Report to me what happened.  I'll handle my child how I see fit.

I assure you, All of my boys pay attention to what I say.  They also

aren't cruel...Bullies, and other associated high school trash

+1

I don't have kids, but if any adult other than myself or the child's mother lays a hand on them, they are in for some serious fucking problems.

Tell me what they did, I'll administer punishment as myself and my spouse see fit.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

Yep
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Spanking your kid doesn't teach them anything.

The hell it doesn't.

Cured my daughter of the Terrible Twos in one incident.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
spanking vs time out.. here is how i compare the two..

time out is what we do to criminals in the US, they do something bad and we put them in time out (prison) then they are let out and do it all over again and try not to get caught again.

spanking is like parts of the middle east, when someone gets cought steeling something they get their hands cut off, not very many people steal things over there.

well maybe not to this extreme but its more on the basics of  Reinforcement theory that  says that behavior is a function of its consequences, that behaviors followed by positive consequences (i.e., reinforced) will occur more frequently, and that behaviors followed by negative consequences, or not followed by positive consequences will occur less frequently.

"Time outs" properly done are effective.

To a creative child that can simply use the time to plunge into fantasy and, pretty much ignore
consequence, Time outs are fucking useless
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I feared spanking.  

I'm 43 years old.

wooden spoons....bad memories.

You guys were lucky - I got the belt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I sure as fuck do.  My five year old, I've never spanked.  Don't need to.  My 4 year old, however, well...spanking is the only thing that works.  The problem is that too many people equate spanking with abuse.  I don't advocate beating kids, but spanking them?  Fuck yes, if they deserve it.

+1

Spanking doesn't work well with all kids.  My oldest responds well to threats of withdrawing things he likes.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I feared spanking.  

I'm 43 years old.

wooden spoons....bad memories.

You guys were lucky - I got the belt.

I actually just bought my mother a set of really nice wooden spoons...to replace the ones she broke over my backside when I was young.

I deserved every one of those licks too.

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seems to me the children that aren't ever spanked are the easy ones to spot. They're always the ones making scenes in public while their parents try completely ineffectively to calm them down by whispering nice things in their ears, laughing embarrassingly, or giving an obviously weak reprimanding.

They're also probably the same jerks that grow up as those who are "entitled" to everything.

Do all kids need to be hit? No. But some definitely do.

Note: I am not at all advocating child abuse. There's a huge difference between physically punishing a child and abusing them.

You don't beat a 3yr old with a belt for spilling milk at breakfast.......But when 16yr old johhny looks me dead in the eye and say "fuck you, I'll do what I want"...HIS TIMEOUT WILL BE OVER WHEN HE REGAINS CONSCIOUSNESS FROM MY FIST TO HIS FACE......
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#39]
OP is a troll ?

Or maybe he gets off on hearing storied about other people disciplining their children?

Either way, dude got problems.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Serious question...

In public, you squeeze their wrist and look them sternly in the eye, as you calmly say "Now Johnny, you know you shouldn't be doing that..".

Parents need to know strategic pressure points.

I get a kick out of parents trying to "reason" with their 3 yo child in public places. They think they appear "enlightened". I feel like whispering in their ear "You lost".
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:10:57 PM EDT
[#41]
I saw this and thought "Where on the world could have possibly gone full retard?".  Then I realized it was Corpus Christi.  Then I realized it was Judge Longoria.  This guy is a first rate asshat.  He is constantly letting punks off for tagging or being general douche bags.  The best part is the local paper (caller.com) who has endorsed this jackass before isn't even carrying the story!    

Maybe there is hope:
http://www.caller.com/news/2008/jun/06/tx-judge-who-offers-paddling-punishment-gets-more-/
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Serious question...

In public, you squeeze their wrist and look them sternly in the eye, as you calmly say "Now Johnny, you know you shouldn't be doing that..".  

I get a kick out of parents trying to "reason" with their 3 yo child in public places. They think they appear "enlightened". I feel like whispering in their ear "You lost".

This.  I get a lot of mileage out of the ulnar nerve...
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

so - you don't have any kids. (C22).

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Go sit quietly in the corner.  The adults are talking now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.  

No father present. And if he is, no spanking.

We now have a culture of inconsiderate, entitled, slobs and dullards. But they're good at X-Box...

PS: No one is recommending abusive beatings, but an occasional whack on the ass can focus a child.

+1

A good sting on bare skin.  You don't even need to slap hard at all.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck?  

Fucking A! I think I got PMs from this dude back when in one of those threads. I'm off to check now...

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Serious question...

I usually nonchalantly grab them by the back of their neck and they realize the games are over.

Ear twitch works good at times too.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What the fuck?  

That's some creepy shit there.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Serious question...

At one point my now 21 year old figgured he was a man when he turned 13.

I was at NTC and in the checkout line at the local HEB, he decided he was going to
have a Snickers bar.  My wife was not going to buy him the snickers bar.

After a round or two of reasoning, she slapped him right across the face.

The teller went..."Good going mom!"

There is a personal sting to getting embarassed.  I fully then and now support my wife
in that choice.

ETA;  My style of parenting involves insane ammounts of attention and focus to the task at hand.
Also, it involves the overwheling force of a united front.  There is nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.
Link Posted: 6/17/2011 2:15:50 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Corporal punishment should be reserved for parents, or those who parents specifically designate as representatives.

Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top