User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#1]
rifle, and it'd be an AKM with the happy switch
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats a tough call....i guess it all comes down to how much ammo you have on your person at the time, and how mobile you can be. The SOG recon men humped it out with 20 magazines, 10 pistol magazines, 12 grenades, an M16 or a CAR-15, a 1911, and sometimes an M79 grenade launcher.

I'd probably go with a load out like that...minus the M79..though i wouldn't mind having one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Pistol.  For SHTF you want something that doesn't stand out to the gun-confiscating civil authorities.  I remember an older thread where someone who had survived various political SHTF situations in South America said basically this.  You want something you can carry on you that doesn't call attention to yourself.

+1. That would FerFAL, I'd guess.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...reading comprehension was lacking on my part.

Don't feel bad at all –– the majority of the responses so far read as if an imminent SHTF scenario is presupposed in the question.

I am trying to figure out if I suck at conveying what I want to say or what??!!

Not you, it was pretty clear if you take the time and actually read your whole post.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep...reading comprehension was lacking on my part.

Don't feel bad at all –– the majority of the responses so far read as if an imminent SHTF scenario is presupposed in the question.

I am trying to figure out if I suck at conveying what I want to say or what??!!

Not you, it was pretty clear if you take the time and actually read your whole post.

Well we are pretty used to the pistol or rifle for shtf? So it was kinda natural to assume this was another one of those.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Who are all of you people that plan on strolling around the neighborhood in SHTF!?!?

SHTF is SERIAL!  
Give me a rifle, and I'll aquire a handgun from some nitwit trying to kill his way into rifle ownership...if needed.

There's a lot of SHTF concept FAIL in this thread.

I wasn't really talking about SHTF as much as what I was getting at is that if you could only own ONE gun, would it be a rifle or a pistol.  That ONE gun would be for the life you are living right now, not just for the POSSIBILITY of a SHTF scenario.  So would you rather have a rifle that you couldn't CCW everyday for the life you have now, or would you rather have a rifle for the possibility of a SHTF in the future?  I probably didn't word the OP very well.  If you pick a rifle for your ONE gun, you couldn't have a pistol for daily CCW, such as I am used to having with me 24/7 right now.  I would rather have one pistol and be able to carry every day of my life, than one rifle, which might be better for SHTF, if that ever comes.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Hell, I don't need a gun, I have a knife.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who are all of you people that plan on strolling around the neighborhood in SHTF!?!?

SHTF is SERIAL!  
Give me a rifle, and I'll aquire a handgun from some nitwit trying to kill his way into rifle ownership...if needed.

I wasn't really talking about SHTF as much as what I was getting at is that if you could only own ONE gun, would it be a rifle or a pistol.  That ONE gun would be for the life you are living right now, not just for the POSSIBILITY of a SHTF scenario.  So would you rather have a rifle that you couldn't CCW everyday for the life you have now, or would you rather have a rifle for the possibility of a SHTF in the future?  I probably didn't word the OP very well.  If you pick a rifle for your ONE gun, you couldn't have a pistol for daily CCW, such as I am used to having with me 24/7 right now.  I would rather have one pistol and be able to carry every day of my life, than one rifle, which might be better for SHTF, if that ever comes.

Your thread title is was a tad confusing then...

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SHTF is SERIAL!  

+1
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 2:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Rifle for sure.

I would want a FAL, preferably with a 16" or 18", and the adjustable gas system would allow it to use most of the commercial .308 hunting ammo on the shelves, and any 7.62 NATO you might scrounge up.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHTF is SERIAL!  

Your thread title is a tad confusing then...

I think you are right, if someone just goes off of the thread title it is confusing.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
nvrmnd.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Select-fire AKS-74U clone in 5.56mm with an Ultimak scope mount and red dot sight. Best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Rifle.  If I couldn't own a pistol, I would carry a carbine around as long as it was legal.  I actually did that a couple times as an experiment.  Cops got called, I didn't get tased or arrested.  Sheeple be damned.  

-Ben
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
AKM
M1911A1

Fuck your 1 gun rule.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Select-fire AKS-74U clone in 5.56mm with an Ultimak scope mount and red dot sight. Best of both worlds.

I would be very tempted to take that over a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Pistol. If the SHTF and I need a rifle I could always shoot someone and take theirs.

Maybe. But I could always shoot you with my AR from far away & take your pistol.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pistol. If the SHTF and I need a rifle I could always shoot someone and take theirs.

Maybe. But I could always shoot you with my AR from far away & take your pistol.

How do you know I have a pistol?  Its concealed until I draw.  Are you gonna shoot everyone in range?

I agree with the poster that said there is alot of SHTF FAIL in here, but for very different reasons.  When SHTF, everything gets worse.  It doesn't mean there is no law and order, it will just be less law and order, but people will still be held accountable.  Murders will likely happen more often, but if you start picking off every stranger who enters your property, you are going to be brought to justice like any other cold blooded murderer.  You couldn't murder someone during Katrina, or in Argentina a la Ferfal (sp?), and you won't be able to in a real SHTF.  Its never going to be a complete lawless period in which you can hole up in your house and shoot anyone who gets within range...

Of course a rifle and pistol is best, but if it had to be only one its gonna be a pistol.  That way I have the means to defend myself in 99% of the situations that occur in plausable SHTF scenarios....

Of course a rifle only would be better for TEOTWAWKI, but TEOTWAWKI is never going to happen.  Its a delusional fantasy for nutjobs to fap too....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
AR-10.

+1

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The right pistol would work ok-great in a SHTF situation. It would be kind of hard to use a rifle as a CCW.

If you can only have one, go with the pistol.

If SHTF happens the CCW will not be needed
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or they can shoot you from a further distance and steal your pistol.

A much more likely event to occur with success.

A pistol is only a few yards better than a knife.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

SHTF is SERIAL!  

Easy. G20 with extra 40cal barrel

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess the real answer for the OP depends on the laws where you live and the type of place/environment.

Where I live and commute daily in TX I would stick with the rifle.
no walking around in city streets really, just commuting up and down the highway from
driveway to parking lot. And it is legal to have a long gun in my truck.

If I was in the city, walked the streets a lot or used public transit I would definitely say PISTOL.

If I drove around / commuted in a city where car jacking are more likely etc.. pistol.

But here driving from almost rural suburb to country side its all pretty open and close conflict unlikely.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock 18  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Given how many people out there have deer guns, I'd opt for a rifle as well.  Trying to get within 25m of someone so you can take their rifle/shotgun is a lot harder when their effective range is 300+m.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Definitely a rifle.  A pistol is just something you use until you can reach a long gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:28:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Seems folks didn't read the op's original post. With ccw in mind I'll keep my G20 with extra 40 barrel . 10 mm shoots further and harder than other carry calibers, I can get mild to wild loads and I can switch to 40 cal in thirty seconds. JMHO
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#28]
If I'm allowed only one, I'll take a rifle and a good fixed blade knife.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:51:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Since the question asked about 1 ONE, wun, uno, ichi, weapon I would probably go for a 357.  As noted you could use it to go either way.

If only one long gun, I'ld be hard pressed to decide between a 12 gauge pump and an AR.  Depends on where I was at the time.  If in the sticks and the only food was flying around, an AR would be a real cahallenge to get ducks on the wing.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Gun collection is mostly for coolness. Rifles have more of it.  Will stick with AR15.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#31]
CNC mill and a lathe. And a cupola furnace.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:59:08 PM EDT
[#32]
9mm XDm. people like to say handguns are only for getting to a rifle but are you going to go to Walmart with an M4 slung? Are you going to hang up an AKM in your cubicle next to that antigun coworker or go jogging through the suburbs with an FAL?
People didn't do that often in the depression, and if SHTF the .gov is always going to have bigger guns, in town someone is always going to have the drop on you. No need to bring down heat when you don't need to.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Glock 19 (my primary CCW for 15+ years now and the handgun I shoot best of them all)

While I would much prefer a carbine for HD, I can at least use my handgun in that capacity –– OTOH, I don't see myself carrying a long-gun concealed, so...

(If I didn't CCW daily I might very well answer differently...)

Quoted:
... I would think the odds of needing a pistol in an everyday carry scenario would be greater than needing a rifle for a SHTF scenario. Also a pistol would still serve a purpose if the SHTF, a rifle wouldn't work for a daily carry gun...

Agree completely with the OP's reasoning.

I agree completely though if I could only have one it would be an original Colt M1911A1. I'd make do with the shitty sights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Pistol

I like to be armed most of the day,
and I can only do that with a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#35]

My initial thoughts were that I'd choose a rifle, but if I consider concealed carry, a pistol would be my firearm of choice.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#36]
HK 5.56 10.5 in barrel  (LWRC will do, but I'm saying only one for the rest of my life)
surefire can
aimpoint micro on a larue mount
troy BUIS
G2 flashlight in a VTAC mount
Tango down stubby qd vfg
MOE pistol grip
Emod stock
10 Pmags
Redimag
and I'm spent......I mean done
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Glock 18  

Fail! That wouldn't last the rest of your life...HaHa, glock sucks!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#38]
A rifle, I'd look out of place being the only guy w/o one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll take a LWRC PSD
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:56:22 PM EDT
[#40]
While things still remain civilized, handgun.

- Easier to find suitable ranges.
- Ammo is cheaper than rifle ammo.
- Easy to carry (and conceal) 24-7-365.

That said, having only one gun would suck a LOT, in more ways than one. At the very least, you should have one of each major division - rifle, shotgun, and handgun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#41]
If I have a pistol marked AR, can't I put a long upper and stock (in that order) on it and back again. The TC Contender had ATF approval for this provided it was sold as a pistol.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Pistol.

Your best weapon if the SHTF is stealth. Stay below the radar and dont make yourself a target. FerFAL actually lived through an economic SHTF situation and he said a handgun is much more vital than a long gun.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

this.  I cant believe that this many people would rather have a gun in their safe than on their belt
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:00:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If I have a pistol marked AR, can't I put a long upper and stock (in that order) on it and back again. The TC Contender had ATF approval for this provided it was sold as a pistol.

The contender got an exception,  If you do that with an AR you will have created a short barreled rifle and unless you obtained an NFA stamp first committed a big felony.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#45]
A rifle seems like a far more verstile choice

I would probably go with my Finnish M39. It's accurate, looks good and I have a shit ton of 54R ammo
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The contender got an exception,  If you do that with an AR you will have created a short barreled rifle and unless you obtained an NFA stamp first committed a big felony.

Pinko commy bastards! Did I misunderstand "shall not be infringed"?
I need to change my vote!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#47]
AR 10 platform...............probably an HK 417
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Rifle.  And with that one rifle, I'll have a collection of nice pistols from guys who did not choose rifle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
AKM
M1911A1

Fuck your 1 gun rule.

This did not go well
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#50]
FerFAL has some good articles that relate to this subject.

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2009/05/first-gun-you-should-buy-should-be.html
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top