Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#1]

While the book Lone Survivor chronicles Luttrell's 1999 enlistment and training, as well as his 2005 deployment to Afghanistan, Berg decided that the film adaptation would focus mainly on the events of the failed United States Navy SEALs mission Operation Red Wings, as well as the bonding and camaraderie of Luttrell and his fallen teammates.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-PDF-7][7][/url]:17 Prior to writing the script, Berg met with the families of the deceased. "My research started with meeting the families of the SEAL teammates who were killed," he said. "I went to New York and met the Murphys. I went to Colorado and met the Dietzes, and I went to Northern California and met the Axelsons. After spending time with them, you realize that these kids were the best and the brightest; they were the stars of the families. The grief and the wounds are still very raw. You would have to be inhuman to not feel the responsibility when that kind of grief gets shared with you." [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-PDF-7][7][/url]:17 Berg also expressed that he was motivated by the families to make the story as realistic as possible;[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-NYDaily-13][13][/url] his goal was "to put [the viewer] into the experience of what these guys went through. And it was obviously a traumatic and violent and exhausting experience".[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-14][14][/url]

To provide authenticity, Luttrell moved into Berg’s home for one month, and acted as a consultant, ensuring that Berg understood the events that unfolded during Operation Red Wings.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-PDF-7][7][/url]:17 Berg also embedded with a Navy SEAL team—becoming the first civilian to do so—and lived with them for a month in Iraq while continuing to write the script.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-Thompson-15][15][/url][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-variety1-16][16][/url] In reenacting the injuries and deaths of the fallen SEAL teammates, Berg relied on Luttrell’s descriptions from the book, as well as autopsy reports of the deceased and after action reports.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-17][17][/url] The United States Navy gave him unprecedented access to incident reports related to the mission,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-NYDaily-13][13][/url] and provided the production with archive training footage for the film's opening scenes.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-Thompson-15][15][/url]:1 While mostly accurate, the film alters history at points. In depicting the Taliban fighters' ambush on the four SEAL teammates—a battle that reportedly lasted nearly four hours—Berg had to break the battle sequence into 30 segments.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-Thompson-15][15][/url] During filming, there were some dialogue changes in comparison to Berg's script, as he encouraged improvisation.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-variety1-16][16][/url]

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are tons of things that disprove what is in Robinson's book.

-There wasn't 200 ACM attacking the SEALs, there was 8-10. This is a guess as well. I have watched one of the ACM videos and there is no way I could come up with a number of attackers.
-Shah wasn't an HVT, he was a low-level insurgent before the incident. While this may have been true, and the author of Lone Survivor/the Navy changed that. How does that affect the story. For all we know, the team was briefed and led to believe Shah was an HVT.
-Luttrell was never tortured by Shah's ACM after seeking refuge in the village, as they were already back in Pakistan, or on their way there. I haven't read Lone Survivor in a while, so I don't remember this from the book. I do remember seeing an interview with Luttrell stating it.
-The was never a point where hundreds of ACM were streaming down a mountain side coming to attack the village, as Marcus was being evacuated, where Marcus called in air-strikes and decimated them.
-The recon team was told by the Marines that their coms wouldn't work in that area.
-Red Wings was not a NSW operation, it was a Marine operation. The SEALs were brought in at the last minute due to command conflicts between JSOC and the Marines. This seems petty to me. Like Darack/the Marines are hurt by not being mentioned. I bought Victory Point when it came out and couldn't get passed the first chapter. Butthurt seemed to flow with greatness. My dad recently read the booked and has encouraged me to finish it. Last night I was reading the 3/3 frequently used the SEALs to do recon and surveillance for the first parts of their missions. I have read the articles and seen the side from Victory Point's perspective. I get there weren't 200 guys and it was RED WINGS. These are all details, some minor and some pretty big. However, a 4 man team was inserted on the mountain, was compromised, and put up a huge fight, 3 men died, one survived, and 16 more died trying to come to their aid. That is the same in both accounts. Whose overall mission it was doesn't matter. I would say it is more like 60-70% factual, but I don't have clearance and will never know the true story. I will believe Marcus and a close friend of mine who was a teammate of his. We haven't discussed it to this depth, but he doesn't doubt the account, and that is plenty for me. I do like researching it and educating myself, but it seems to me that some of the items you/Darack have fault with don't impact the story. They should impact the military and be lessons on how missions are planned and executed.

These are just some of the points that show that there is a much more detailed, complete, and factual account of what happened.

Read all of the book, then tell us what you think. And look at the appendix to see how well it's documented and fact-checked. Also, look at the link I provided, there's more good stuff there.

Try to have an open mind.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Why? You told everyone everything we need to know. What could we possibly add to this?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm till waiting for some good discussion on this topic.

Anything....and I mean anything else other than personal attacks and petty, play-ground crapola.

Anyone want to discuss the differences between the book, the movie, and other sources of information on Red Wings?

Why? You told everyone everything we need to know. What could we possibly add to this?  

Hope dude....there's always hope. I'm holding out hope you can bring something good to the discussion.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:Dude, that's just pathetic. I quoted YOUR fucking question about why someone would assume that he might kick someone's ass over being questioned about his story and answered it, and now you're trying to imply that I'm trying to start a fight or that I'm saying that everything in the book is fact?
View Quote

You suggested that he would attack me if I questioned him. You and others sound like play-ground children trying to get a fight started.

"OOoooh did you hear what he said about your mother?"

Total juvenile bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:57:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You suggested that he would attack me if I questioned him. You and others sound like play-ground children trying to get a fight started.

Total juvenile bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Dude, that's just pathetic. I quoted YOUR fucking question about why someone would assume that he might kick someone's ass over being questioned about his story and answered it, and now you're trying to imply that I'm trying to start a fight or that I'm saying that everything in the book is fact?

Total juvenile bullshit.

Look in the mirror.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.

And your "Lone survivor is fictional BS, Victory Point is the factual shit you desire," isnt?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, you've been busy telling us your opinion.

You are not the arbiter of fact and fiction on this matter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I've been real busy defending myself from people that think that such factual inaccuracies isn't important. Or are stupid enough to think I'm trying to sell copies of a book.

Which points on that list do you question as being or not being factual?

I'm all ears.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.

When you get to 11.f. on your 4473 you should just write yes and walk out of the gunshop. I think you may be bipolar.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No one cares.  Get over it noob.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:STFU and let it go?

Nothing? You've got nothing? Nothing but "STFU and let it go?"?

How about some small morsel of real discussion? Or are insults and personal attacks all you can do?

Noob? Noob to what son?

You ever gonna join the discussion in a positive manner? No? Didn't think so.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.

So what's your dog in this fight? Because it really seems you have an agenda here...
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:02:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Look in the mirror.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Total juvenile bullshit.

Look in the mirror.

You too pal....you too.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hope dude....there's always hope. I'm holding out hope you can bring something good to the discussion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anything....and I mean anything else other than personal attacks and petty, play-ground crapola.

Anyone want to discuss the differences between the book, the movie, and other sources of information on Red Wings?

You don't have hope.  You have a need for negative attention.

No one cares because everyone here realizes that there is a element of fiction to the story, so it is not a big deal.  They look at the people involved and see no fault in their character as well so there is no scandal.  

The only thing I got from this thread is the OP has repeatedly shown that he likes to be at the bottom a of giant man pile in every thread he creates.  

I just get an image of you, doing some good self flagellation, while posting on the interwebs, hoping that someone calls you a bad name so you can pull out the victim card and feel justified in your intellectual superiority.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#13]
So is Jason Bourne fake?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No one cares because everyone here realizes that there is a element of fiction to the story, so it is not a big deal.  They look at the people involved and see no fault in their character as well so there is no scandal.  

The only thing I got from this thread is the OP has repeatedly shown that he likes to be at the bottom a of giant man pile in every thread he creates.  

I just get an image of you, doing some good self flagellation, while posting on the interwebs, hoping that someone calls you a bad name so you can pull out the victim card and feel justified in your intellectual superiority.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#15]
In my profession I get all sorts of information communicated to me by potential clients.  These communications fall into two types: short and concise, and long and rambling.  I've learned that the long and rambling emails/letters (and even phone calls) I receive are indicative of someone who is struggling with various issues - not the least of which is honesty.  When you have to try so hard to convince somebody that you're right so as to write these long and rambling diatribes, it's probably because people have learned that you're full of shit.  

When I read this guy's website, I see the same red flags which I have grown accustomed to avoiding.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:And your "Lone survivor is fictional BS, Victory Point is the factual shit you desire," isnt?
View Quote

Pick something.

Pick a specific point you want to discuss. I started this thread for good discussion, and it hasn't happened yet.

Want to pull away from juvenile bullshit? Pick a topic to discuss. Stop insulting, stop attacking.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm all ears.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I've been real busy defending myself from people that think that such factual inaccuracies isn't important. Or are stupid enough to think I'm trying to sell copies of a book.

I'm all ears.

I don't consider myself any better equipped to make such determinations than I consider you to be.  I don't know, and I'm comfortable saying so.

You don't know either, but you think you're the expert.  It's kind of amusing.  It's really made the thread, honestly.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

While the book Lone Survivor chronicles Luttrell's 1999 enlistment and training, as well as his 2005 deployment to Afghanistan, Berg decided that the film adaptation would focus mainly on the events of the failed United States Navy SEALs mission Operation Red Wings, as well as the bonding and camaraderie of Luttrell and his fallen teammates.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-PDF-7][7][/url]:17 Prior to writing the script, Berg met with the families of the deceased. "My research started with meeting the families of the SEAL teammates who were killed," he said. "I went to New York and met the Murphys. I went to Colorado and met the Dietzes, and I went to Northern California and met the Axelsons. After spending time with them, you realize that these kids were the best and the brightest; they were the stars of the families. The grief and the wounds are still very raw. You would have to be inhuman to not feel the responsibility when that kind of grief gets shared with you." [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-PDF-7][7][/url]:17 Berg also expressed that he was motivated by the families to make the story as realistic as possible;[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-NYDaily-13][13][/url] his goal was "to put [the viewer] into the experience of what these guys went through. And it was obviously a traumatic and violent and exhausting experience".[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-14][14][/url]

View Quote

To provide authenticity, Luttrell moved into Berg’s home for one month, and acted as a consultant, ensuring that Berg understood the events that unfolded during Operation Red Wings.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-PDF-7][7][/url]:17 Berg also embedded with a Navy SEAL team—becoming the first civilian to do so—and lived with them for a month in Iraq while continuing to write the script.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-Thompson-15][15][/url][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-variety1-16][16][/url] In reenacting the injuries and deaths of the fallen SEAL teammates, Berg relied on Luttrell’s descriptions from the book, as well as autopsy reports of the deceased and after action reports.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-17][17][/url] The United States Navy gave him unprecedented access to incident reports related to the mission,[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-NYDaily-13][13][/url] and provided the production with archive training footage for the film's opening scenes.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-Thompson-15][15][/url]:1 While mostly accurate, the film alters history at points. In depicting the Taliban fighters' ambush on the four SEAL teammates—a battle that reportedly lasted nearly four hours—Berg had to break the battle sequence into 30 segments.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-Thompson-15][15][/url] During filming, there were some dialogue changes in comparison to Berg's script, as he encouraged improvisation.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Survivor_(film)#cite_note-variety1-16][16][/url]

WTF is it with handing out military data to Hollywood? At least this isn't as bad as them identifying by name everyone on the OBL raid team.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:07:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:So what's your dog in this fight? Because it really seems you have an agenda here...
View Quote

I have none, other than good discussion about what really happened. Which isn't happening.

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#21]
OP, what is your opinion on the Apollo Moon Landings?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have none, other than good discussion about what really happened. Which isn't happening.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:So what's your dog in this fight? Because it really seems you have an agenda here...

So if people don't agree with you, it's not a good discussion?

ETA, because that's how this thread reads.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:I don't consider myself any better equipped to make such determinations than I consider you to be.  I don't know, and I'm comfortable saying so.

You don't know either, but you think you're the expert.  It's kind of amusing.  It's really made the thread, honestly.
View Quote

I think I know better than you.....there's no doubt about that. Which is exactly why you can't question anything I've posted, refute it, challenge it.

If I didn't know more than what is in Lone Survivor, I would be looking for more information.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Even when it's on video, it can be hard to determine a completely consistent order and cause/effect of events.

There's video of an event described in another well-spoken-of book on this site, but some of the video seemingly depicts an incident vastly different from what was in the book.   It's conceivable that somebody could create websites to rebut the book and soldiers' recollection of events. I don't know.  Actually, I stand corrected, there have been a number of people who have done this, but they are left-leaning loons who don't bring the air of credibility about them.  If they were military insiders who had some facts and mastery of jargon, I suppose they could present a far more effective argument, even though it's not any more factually correct than the loons' arguments ... it would just sound more official.

Fortunately, this hasn't happened, possibly because there aren't the operational ownership issues as with Redwings, no high profile awards like a CMOH, et cetera.

I don't know what's going on with respect to Redwings and Lone Survivor, I haven't read the book, seen the movie, nor really looked into the events.  I'm just to step back an hopefully add some perspective.

Things can be damn confusing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

OP - you fooled me.

I looked at your original post and thought to myself "Hmmmm....that's funny.  NoVaGator doesn't normally post stuff this stupid."

Then I realized that you're NoVaRight, not NoVaGator.

You fooled me OP.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blah, blah, blah...

OP - you fooled me.

I looked at your original post and thought to myself "Hmmmm....that's funny.  NoVaGator doesn't normally post stuff this stupid."

Then I realized that you're NoVaRight, not NoVaGator.

You fooled me OP.

Plus one
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I think I know better than you.....there's no doubt about that. Which is exactly why you can't question anything I've posted, refute it, challenge it.

If I didn't know more than what is in Lone Survivor, I would be looking for more information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:I don't consider myself any better equipped to make such determinations than I consider you to be.  I don't know, and I'm comfortable saying so.

And how exactly is it you "know" more than anybody else? Because you read it on the internet? Where are you inside the intel chain? Do you even rate to read actual intel on military operations, or do you think reading somebody else's account of the matter makes you the subject matter expert?
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's odd, I've brought up several points in regards to the author of Victory Point using conjecture and assumptions as facts on at least two occasions.

You have either missed or ignored my posts in regards to those points.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

have you read the incident reports

Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Noob? Noob to what son?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:STFU and let it go?

Nothing? You've got nothing? Nothing but "STFU and let it go?"?

How about some small morsel of real discussion? Or are insults and personal attacks all you can do?

Noob? Noob to what son?

Slow your role, skippy.

First off, Im a paying member.

Secondly,  if you wanted a meaningful discussion on the relationship of facts and fictions relating to books, you should have posted it here.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:You don't have hope.  You have a need for negative attention.

View Quote

Again, you want to say "everyone here realizes there is an element of fiction to the story, so it's not a big deal."
You're trying to speak for everyone, and that's stupid. Many people, even in this thread, said they learned something from such discussions.

You then want to believe that I enjoy defending myself from personal attacks page, after page, after page, after page. Nothing could be further from the truth. Plus, in doing so, you put me in a position where my only option is to admit defeat and leave my own thread, or pull the "victim card". Got it. In your mind there is only the fact that I'm an ass, and not interested in discussing this topic like adults.

Am I justified in my intellectual superiority? On this topic, yes. Don't like that? GTFO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#31]
enough
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top