Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#1]
If you doubt his tenacity or that the hive knows best, simply ask him or his campaighn manager the question in an email point blank and direct them here to clarify...
I am sure the voters of TX like myself would like to ask a few candid questions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The thing that people seem to be overlooking is that in Texas, the job of Governor isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.  The Lieutenant Governor is the one with the real influence.  Besides, it's a foregone conclusion that the Republican candidate will win the general election.  Might as well have some fun with the campaign.

I am not so sure that Carole is out of the running.  Perry has made an ass out of himself over and over again, and he only kicked into high gear with the gun stuff in the last six months.  Perry also, if you recall, pushed through in-state tuition for illegal aliens and signed hate crime legislation after promising not to.

I was a big Perry supporter initially.  In fact, I was relieved that he was in.  Bush just wasn't terribly active, he didn't have much of an agenda, and he was a pretty poor governor.  Bush's inability to motivate the Leg to do anything was a subject of jokes.  Bush didn't have the background and was not respected -- he has essentially no grasp of really important issues and showed no willingness to learn.  Perry was well liked (and respected) in the Legislature and considered a subject matter expert in a few areas, like water law.  Fickle though that may be, the respect of the Legislature counts -- Bush was regarded as well-meaning, even by liberals,  because he was earnest and personable, but clueless, and everyone in the Legislature saw that.  Perry was seen as a good person to ally with and a solid supporter of a reasonable agenda.

Well, Perry got in and that changed.  He alienated almost everyone, and the Legislature (which still respected him to a degree) kept him at arms length.  His battles with Carole over, ahem, simple math were embarassing (well, people were embarassed for Perry).

In the last year, he seemed to slowly realize that he was going to have to be a real governor and he has been making an effort, but his pretty conservative "Panhandle libertarian" point of view has pretty much been dropped in favor of being a rattle-snake-waving Republican moonie with a fervent ignorance of fundamental economics and a desire to please ever big business interest he can, like, well, like GW.  This doesn't look good.

Would Kinky sign a .50 ban like Arnold?  Yes, probably.

Would Perry?  Yes, definitely, if Bush told him to or his polling numbers suggested that.  I am very disappointed here in him, but I just don't know where the "old Perry" went.

Carole wouldn't sign a .50 ban.  In fact, she would probably buy one just to wave around to piss people off (that is a serious weakness of hers).

I am not sure that Perry is a sure thing.  I am not sure that Carole's run is the hopeless kamikaze flight that people have said that it is.  And I am not sure that Kinky looks that liberal compared to Perry.

EDIT:

I really liked Perry.  I really did.  I remember seeing him in the elevator election night in the Capitol and thinking "Hot damn!  We finally have a normal Conservative Democrat back in and things will work right again and we can start getting rid of the liberals!"  I was really psyched.  He had a very solid track record.  I don't know what happened or why.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
He said no man needs more than 5 rounds once..............

Maybe, but I'll bet you can't find a better source than somebody saying "I once heard on TV...," and when you find that source, it's pretty clear that he was trying to be funny.

George W. Bush, on the other hand, said to a reporter on the record in all seriousness: "It makes no sense for assault weapons to be around our society."  Documentation here.

NO, Sarah, I heard him.  Good try.

He has said the same thing to two people I know, more or less.  He doesn't see a hunting need for assault rifles and thinks that the only thing you need in a house is a shotgun.  This is a problem of degrees.  He would probably support everyone in Texas being issued a shotgun and 200 rounds of 00 buck, but would not have a problem banning ARs.  I would like to see that as a "glass half full" situation, but I would want him to come around *before* becoming Governor Kinky.

EDIT:

For the record, he is pretty much pro-hunting and sees urban whitetails as a pest that should be hunted and eaten.  He isn't that loopy.  I just don't know about taking chances before he has a real road-to-Damascus moment about the fundamental right to self defence.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The thing that people seem to be overlooking is that in Texas, the job of Governor isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.  The Lieutenant Governor is the one with the real influence.  Besides, it's a foregone conclusion that the Republican candidate will win the general election.  Might as well have some fun with the campaign.

I am not so sure that Carole is out of the running.  Perry has made an ass out of himself over and over again, and he only kicked into high gear with the gun stuff in the last six months.  Perry also, if you recall, pushed through in-state tuition for illegal aliens and signed hate crime legislation after promising not to.

I was a big Perry supporter initially.  In fact, I was relieved that he was in.  Bush just wasn't terribly active, he didn't have much of an agenda, and he was a pretty poor governor.  Bush's inability to motivate the Leg to do anything was a subject of jokes.  Bush didn't have the background and was not respected -- he has essentially no grasp of really important issues and showed no willingness to learn.  Perry was well liked (and respected) in the Legislature and considered a subject matter expert in a few areas, like water law.  Fickle though that may be, the respect of the Legislature counts -- Bush was regarded as well-meaning, even by liberals,  because he was earnest and personable, but clueless, and everyone in the Legislature saw that.  Perry was seen as a good person to ally with and a solid supporter of a reasonable agenda.

Well, Perry got in and that changed.  He alienated almost everyone, and the Legislature (which still respected him to a degree) kept him at arms length.  His battles with Carole over, ahem, simple math were embarassing (well, people were embarassed for Perry).

In the last year, he seemed to slowly realize that he was going to have to be a real governor and he has been making an effort, but his pretty conservative "Panhandle libertarian" point of view has pretty much been dropped in favor of being a rattle-snake-waving Republican moonie with a fervent ignorance of fundamental economics and a desire to please ever big business interest he can, like, well, like GW.  This doesn't look good.

Would Kinky sign a .50 ban like Arnold?  Yes, probably.

Would Perry?  Yes, definitely, if Bush told him to or his polling numbers suggested that.  I am very disappointed here in him, but I just don't know where the "old Perry" went.

Carole wouldn't sign a .50 ban.  In fact, she would probably buy one just to wave around to piss people off (that is a serious weakness of hers).

I am not sure that Perry is a sure thing.  I am not sure that Carole's run is the hopeless kamikaze flight that people have said that it is.  And I am not sure that Kinky looks that liberal compared to Perry.

EDIT:

I really liked Perry.  I really did.  I remember seeing him in the elevator election night in the Capitol and thinking "Hot damn!  We finally have a normal Conservative Democrat back in and things will work right again and we can start getting rid of the liberals!"  I was really psyched.  He had a very solid track record.  I don't know what happened or why.

Gotcha.  When it comes to Perry and Kinky you're only one transposed letter away from Kerry and Pinky.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top