Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I open carry whenever i am out in public, meaning walking my dog.

If I am going out into stores and the like, I CC for the sake of not being bothered.

In VA you must OC if you go to anywhere that serves alcohol, so I do there as well.

Everyone should SUPPORT OC and those that do, doesn't mean you HAVE to OC yourself.

I think there are tradeoffs and benefits to both sides of the coin, I don't see one as being anymore or anyless sound than the other.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're an easy target if you open carry.

Concealed carry is better because the bad guy may attack someone else since you don't seem like a threat and you can dispatch him.

I'm just wondering when the last time one of these people said, "I took out the OC people first, then headed on to the CCW, then finished up with the unarmed".  

Honestly, does your brain really work like that?  I

If someone bursts into a room to gun everyone down in sight. Who are they going to shoot first? The guy/gal who clearly is carrying a gun.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Concealed carry is better because the bad guy may attack someone else since you don't seem like a threat and you can dispatch him.

I'm just wondering when the last time one of these people said, "I took out the OC people first, then headed on to the CCW, then finished up with the unarmed".    

If someone bursts into a room to gun everyone down in sight. Who are they going to shoot first? The guy/gal who clearly is carrying a gun.

You honestly think someone who is going to mow down a room of people will take inventory first of who has and doesn't have a gun?

Lets be honest, the only place that happens is "gun free zones"

Now, back to reality.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You honestly think someone who is going to mow down a room of people will take inventory first of who has and doesn't have a gun?

Lets be honest, the only place that happens is "gun free zones"

Now, back to reality.

You sure about that?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
One can open carry in Colorado, except Denver county, but no one ever does. I did it once into a Subway with no problem.  I would rather conceal but I don't have the permit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I OC all the time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they will. To assume that active shooters do not do any recon of an area before they open up is foolish. Several have done exactly that. If they see you with the weapon, you'll damn sure be the first person they shoot at.

Or they'll wait five minutes until you leave. Either can be said.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know about you, but if someone bursts into the room mowing people down I'm clearing leather too with my IWB.

disclaimer: unless for some unbelievable reason I'm in a room full of liberals. Very unlikely to happen though. But if it did, I'd exit stage right unless I had no choice.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:55:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Most folks, Like JW777 stated, suck at situational awareness. That said, I'd carry concealed for a very practical reason. OC tends t make you an idiot magnet. I'm just not that desperate for attention.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, they will. To assume that active shooters do not do any recon of an area before they open up is foolish. Several have done exactly that. If they see you with the weapon, you'll damn sure be the first person they shoot at.

acceptable.

but, you act as if "mass shootings" are a common place and that is the reason to not open carry? i would venture to say your common street mugging, where criminals are looking for easy targets would be a reason TO open carry.

both have cons and pros. I don't see why people openly dismiss open carry. it has its advantages and its disadvantages.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I can and do open carry at times. Dress attire for work is a polo tucked in and slacks, hard to conceal in that. I usually untuck and cover it up if running errands after work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I support open carry but wouldn't even if it became legal where I live.  Why?  With CC I keep those that would do me harm as ignorant as possible.  The less info they have, the better off I am.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I am pretty observant and have asked several people what they were carrying (that is, people carrying concealed), and they initially acted shocked, then told me...

In one case, it wasn't very hard...the M-Frames, Blackwater hat prominently displayed on the dash, 5.11 pants, and baggy Hawaiian shirt kinda gave it away.

OTOH, I have open carried right past 2 police officers in a small, crowded restaurant, my pistol mere feet from them and in plain view, and they never looked up.

I would say that at least 70% of the general population does not notice when I open carry.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#17]
There are times for CC, and I'd carry conceled at those times.  But I'd honestly rather open carry for the convenience of it, instead of fumbling around with a coat or shirt, drop my hand to the butt of the gun and have it ready to rock.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Most folks, Like JW777 stated, suck at situational awareness. That siad, I'd carry concealed for a very practical reason. OC tends t make you an idiot magnet. I'm just not that desperate for attention.

Projection?

I don't OC for attention.

I do when it is comfortable or when it is the law.

Would it be better to leave my firearm in a car when I go out to eat in Virginia or would it be better to open carry, since concealed carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is illegal.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I support open carry but wouldn't even if it became legal where I live.  Why?  With CC I keep those that would do me harm as ignorant as possible.  The less info they have, the better off I am.

Several "incidents" at truck stops late at night, in several states, that would have otherwise been draw down stories to post in GD, were avoided simply by me open carrying a G19+X300 in a Raven holster.

edit: and looking like the total badass that I am
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or they'll wait five minutes until you leave. Either can be said.

Yes, it's possible that they'll wait until you leave. Open carry DOES act as a deterrent to SOME criminals...but not all. The ones who are not deterred by the sight of your weapon are the dangerous motherfuckers whom you are going to have to shoot to stop...only now they know you're armed and they can wait for an opening.

It's the age old question regarding open carrying, some say it's a deterrent and it is to some, others say it makes you a target, and it can from some.

From open carrying for a couple of years, all I can say is make sure you have good situational awareness, and buy yourself a quality retention holster that you're very well practiced on. Learn proper weapon retention, and invest in a karambit. When I train, I am open carrying for the most part, unless i'm practicing concealed drawing. It doesn't make much sense for me to train with a pistol on my hip in the open like most people do, and then shove one down my pants under my shirt, does it? Train how youd fight, this is how i'd fight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

There are times for CC, and I'd carry conceled at those times.  But I'd honestly rather open carry for the convenience of it, instead of fumbling around with a coat or shirt, drop my hand to the butt of the gun and have it ready to rock.

Anybody who is going to CC and doesn't actively do drills for drawing their concealed weapon is a fool. You don't want to be fumbling around with your weapon when someone is about to shoot you.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Because a BG is going to prefer to attack an obviously carrying target over one that is no obvious threat.

I still don't understand that reasoning behind making yourself look "weak" and an easy mark.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:04:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Open most of the time.  Concealed when concealment advantage outweighs ease of access advantage.

Most of the time, I think ease of access is more important than concealment.  Unfortunately, I live in Texas.  It's concealed or nothing for me.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Depends. We talking open carry of anything? If so, then open - and I'll be OCing my M4gery on its 3-point sling.

We can already OC handguns here in OH. As others have said, it is good for convenience - can run out to check the mail without needing to cover up, etc.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:07:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Because a BG is going to prefer to attack an obviously carrying target over one that is no obvious threat.

I still don't understand that reasoning behind making yourself look "weak" and an easy mark.

If someone targets you, being concealed or not, you're fucked if they already have their weapon drawn on you. They got the drop on you, might as well just do what they say and give them your wallet. However, people who were OC have had this happen and lost their gun. At least if you are concealed all you might lose is your wallet.
And many criminals plan and recon before committing crimes.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Yes - Sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If someone targets you, being concealed or not, you're fucked. They got the drop on you, might as well just do what they say and give them your wallet. However, people have had this happen and lost their gun. At least if you are concealed all you might lose is your wallet.

And many criminals plan and recon before committing crimes.

Which is why an open show of force by law enforcement or military personnel on partrol automatically draws every BG in the area. How many cops lose their firearms when a BG "gets the drop on them"?

Any other strawman you wanna toss out there?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#30]
No, I like the element of surprise
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Concealed.

And IBTSS.

ETA: I think you're going to find that it is almost always situational.

A guy out west on a ranch or hunting in rugged open terrain?  OC is not big deal and no one will give him a second glance.

A guy in the produce aisle at WAL-MART in a city with tons of non-gun people who get very edgy at the mere sight of a gun?  Not such a great idea, unless you like talking to the police a lot.

More OC being practiced would help break the mindset the media has implanted into the masses.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#33]
I wish we had the option of oc here in Texas. I would mostly CC, but it would be nice if I need to run somewhere real quick without having to to make sure I've got on the right clothes to conceal.

If you're carrying a gun, you should be mentally switched on at all times. It should be no different if you CC or OC. The gun isn't a magic talisman that just because you have it bad stuff wont happen.  Your situational awareness should erase any thoughts of, "easy target".
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Out in the sticks, sure.  Around town, I'd stick with concealed.  Or I would if the State of Florida would send me my damn permit, and then legalize open carry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

+1

Out in the woods or whatever, open carry would be one situation I think it would be a good idea. However, being among people like in a town/city, it isn't wise to advertise to the bad guys that you are armed.

I'll never understand this train of thought.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several "incidents" at truck stops late at night, in several states, that would have otherwise been draw down stories to post in GD, were avoided simply by me open carrying a G19+X300 in a Raven holster.

To each their own.  I can't think of an instance when I was CC'ing that OC'ing would've made the difference.  In fact, I've had zero situations where either was truly necessary.  

As a rule, I strive to blend in,  I generally dress and act to be unremarkable, and OC'ing does not support this.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How many cops lose their firearms when a BG "gets the drop on them"?

There are a lot of cops who died at the end of their own issued weapon. The development of retention holsters and the increase in DT/weapon retention training in departments grew from that fact.

"Straw man"????

I think not.

I don't see many open carriers who have ANY DT/weapon retention training, and I have yet to see one open carrying in day to day life in a level III retention holster. This would be another "clue".

Define "a lot". 1 out of 1,000,000?

Yeah... horrible odds that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a lot of cops who died at the end of their own issued weapon. The development of retention holsters and the increase in DT/weapon retention training in departments grew from that fact.

"Straw man"????

I think not.

I don't see many open carriers who have ANY DT/weapon retention training, and I have yet to see one open carrying in day to day life in a level III retention holster. This would be another "clue".

Yeah, I was going to say, plenty of them.

My understanding is that this is part of the reason why some firearms have magazine safeties.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:18:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I train quite frequently in weapon retention, and do carry in a retention holster. Grabbing my gun, unless i'm sleeping will prove fatal very fast for the person doing the grabbing. I will however agree that a lot of OCers do not train in weapon retention, and I cringe at the thought of an open top leather holster located on the SOB in the open.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:19:27 PM EDT
[#39]
It is legal here in PA, but there's no way I would do it.  Too many hassles with libtards and the Police.

I concealed carry all the time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I have had a CHL almost since the things started in Texas.  I would OC out in the country when I visit my friends ranch.  He has a few pieces of land you have to drive on public roads to go between.  I would CC most of the time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concealed.

And IBTSS.

A guy out west on a ranch or hunting in rugged open terrain?  OC is not big deal and no one will give him a second glance.

A guy in the produce aisle at WAL-MART in a city with tons of non-gun people who get very edgy at the mere sight of a gun?  Not such a great idea, unless you like talking to the police a lot.

More OC being practiced would help break the mindset the media has implanted into the masses.

This.

Why is it so hard to understand? During the Colonial and Westward expansion eras, OC was the order of the day. It was considered cowardly and dishonest to carry concealed.

Now, alarmist types say it's bad tactics despite having ZERO stats or logic to back up the assertion other than "you'll be targeted first" or "you'll scare the sheep" bullshit.

Leave it as an individual choice. Respect the equal Rights of others. Between CCW types and OC types, the more of us there are the less the criminal element can easily victimize anyone.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#43]
No-never

Because open carry is legal in AZ, and I don't want to. When I see someone carrying I laugh to myself and wonder what he did not be able to gat a carry concealed permit.

AB
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Straw man"????

I think not.

If the idea of attacking someone you know is armed was the ultimate deterrent, then the Old West would have been VERY peaceful.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Concealed.

And IBTSS.

This.

Why is it so hard to understand? During the Colonial and Westward expansion eras, OC was the order of the day. It was considered cowardly and dishonest to carry concealed.

Now, alarmist types say it's bad tactics despite having ZERO stats or logic to back up the assertion other than "you'll be targeted first" or "you'll scare the sheep" bullshit.

Leave it as an individual choice. Respect the equal Rights of others. Between CCW types and OC types, the more of us there are the less the criminal element can easily victimize anyone.

The plethora of police reports of people OC'ing that had their firearm stolen or used against them is all the proof I need.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:24:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

"Straw man"????

I think not.

If the idea of attacking someone you know is armed was the ultimate deterrent, then the Old West would have been VERY peaceful.

Actually, the Old West was very peaceful. Statistically.

Stories told to the people back East made it sound different...those stories persist.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The plethora of police reports of people OC'ing that had their firearm stolen or used against them is all the proof I need.

I need more information...such as the actual reports, what type of firearms, what type of training they had, and how attentive they were.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Define "a lot". 1 out of 1,000,000?

Yeah... horrible odds that.

Hey, if you wanna play the odds, why bother with the gun at all? Odds are that you won't have to draw it. Why bother loading it? Odds are that you won't have to shoot it...merely pulling the gun scares most bad guys away....

When you're on the ground getting your head smashed in you no longer give a damn about the stats.

If I'm at that point, then I need my pistol NOW... Not trying to fumble around for a deep cover or iwb rig for it.

My Blackhawk CQC is just fine with the active retention and there is nothing special about retention training that requires a "superman" cop badge.

Odds are that BGs seeing 1 in 10 civvies running around with openly carried firearms are gonna piss off and head for NYC or some other easy pickings.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:25:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

"Straw man"????

I think not.

It was a lot more peaceful than John Wayne and Clint Eastwood made it out to be.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top