BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

i feel like Im having a conversation with myself here.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tornadoes have tossed locomotives around like toys.  One of sufficient force would throw a tank around like a two-year old, too.

This. Trains have hauled whole sections of trains right off the tracks, and trains are a shitload more massive than an MBT.

Many don't seem to read the whole thread.  

Just read the initial post, the first few responses, the reply.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#2]

we had an f4-f5 blow through here some years ago and it wiped out a large wharehouse that was being bulit and there was a very large industrial forklift that was being used to raise the large cement walls and it was found 50 yards away in the bottom of a pond.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
didn't we do this a couple times before ?
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:38:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Too much cold medicine.

I read the thread title as "Would a tomato flip over a battle tank?"

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]

there's your proof! a tornado can throw a tank around and mangle it!

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been in 100 + mph winds more than once.

Reed Timmer, fellow chaser has been hit by 154mph winds in the Dominator that you see on TV, I dunno I dont have TV but Im told he has a TV show on Discovery. I may be wrong about that.

Additionally We hooked up and chatted early April and he told me they went to Mythbusters for a show and withstood 245 mph winds from the back blast of a jet engine. Im going to side with what I know and say you would definitely survive in an Abrahams tank up to a 300 mph wind.

Much of the destruction you see is from objects with SURFACE AREA becoming kites basically.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if the tank could survive, wouldn't the real issue for the storm chasers be getting it to the storm?
I think it's just impractical.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 3:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Even if the tank could survive, wouldn't the real issue for the storm chasers be getting it to the storm?

I think it's just impractical.
Right. Hate to say it but 95 mph isn't uncommon. And that's just to get a peek at the meso not intercept a tornado.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 1989, 7 tornados devastated Ft. Hood, TX.  I was there and I still have pics somewhere.  Tanks were tossed around like matchbox cars.  Trains and rail cars at the rail head were strewn about.  Helicopters and other aircraft were ripped from their tie downs and sent flying across the base.

So, I would say yes, a tornado can indeed throw a tank around.

I was on the range when that happened.  They made us button up the tanks and get in fox holes.  Our tanks slid about a foot but never turned over.  I was with 3/278th

3/278 ACR?  What troop?  Were you there for AT or something? The Peacemakers are in the sandbox right now. (No tanks either)
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
They need to roll up on a tornado in this. 45,500 tons.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Tornados can pick up entire houses and set them down undamaged...or it can do to them similar to what was done in nuclear weapons testing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They need to roll up on a tornado in this. 45,500 tons.
http://images.astronet.ru/pubd/2006/11/28/0001218119/trencher2_smd.jpg

It would be a good fight. I like that saw.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
i dunno, but a better question would be, could a tornado flip an abrams if rossie odonal and oprah were riding on top of it?..

K.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I still wanna be the first to film a wind farm being hit by a tornado. I wanna see them blades fly through the air and plow into the ground real up close like.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Additionally We hooked up and chatted early April and he told me they went to Mythbusters for a show and withstood 245 mph winds from the back blast of a jet engine. Im going to side with what I know and say you would definitely survive in an Abrahams tank up to a 300 mph wind.

I'm 100% sure you wouldn't survive in an Abrahams tank, seeing as you would be encased in an imaginary MBT and I don't think tornados are too good at playing pretend. An Abrams, OTOH, sounds like I was wrong and you would indeed by fine.

I wonder how an old Sherman would hold up, though. A lot lighter and a lot less stable a platform...
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Random fact but the tallest building to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado is in Lubbock. The Lubbock Police Chief issued an order that looters would be shot on sight right after the storm passed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_Lubbock_tornado#Aftermath

The 271-foot (83 m) tall Great Plains Life Building was actually twisted by the tornado, and was damaged so badly, many thought it would collapse; several radio towers on the roof were twisted or broken off. Much of the plaster in the stairwell walls between the 4th and 16th floors had cracked, and 60% of the building's windows were shattered. A foot of permanent deformation damage occurred at the steel frame on the south side, and three of the building's four elevators were damaged with the support rails bent. In spite of the severity of the damage and amid cries to demolish, the owners chose to repair it instead, and it still stands; this building is believed to be the tallest building to survive a direct hit from an F5 tornado.

It's the NTS building now

Our TX-3 Cell Switch is on the third floor of that building. I am there quite often.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 100% sure you wouldn't survive in an Abrahams tank, seeing as you would be encased in an imaginary MBT and I don't think tornados are too good at playing pretend. An Abrams, OTOH, sounds like I was wrong and you would indeed by fine.

I wonder how an old Sherman would hold up, though. A lot lighter and a lot less stable a platform...

Shermans and -47s got tossed around in some of the NTS shots.

An Abrahams would be alright,but then again I would wonder about the turret.

I did this very topic some years ago.....nice to see other inquiring minds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 4:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG1z_llxOFo

OKC May 3, 1999

I went through OKC a few days after this hit and I can't describe the devistation.  The path was over 1/4 mile wide through one neighborhood I was in and there was nothing left.  Houses, trees, and cars were like cards, toothpicks and beer cans to this storm.  It reminded me of WWII pictures of the aftermath of carpet bombings without the rubble.   Would a tank survive a direct hit from this?  Maybe but it would not be pleasant for the occupants.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Check this out.

Train Vs. Tornado
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#20]
The M1 is named for Creighton Abrams.

We can't have bible verses as part of a part number on a rifle scope, imagine if we started naming tanks after Biblical Patriarchs.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I wouldn't say it could never happen, but I would like to see the pictures of M1 tanks "thrown around like matchbox cars"

I would feel safe inside of an M1 in the path of a tornado, with the possible exception of those rare F5's
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Where is our Russian friend telling us that a tornado would not wreck a Russian tank?

That's because Russia has wimpy tornados.  It takes an American tornado to wreck a Russian tank.

Link Posted: 5/17/2010 6:13:30 PM EDT
[#23]

I remember this like it was yesterday. These are the same storms that went through Pa. My freind has a camp in Tionesta where an F5 went through, the damage was incredible, looked like a 1 mile wide lawnmower went through the mountains. Went up 3 days after it happened, this was one of many tornadoes that wreaked havoc in Oh and Pa that day.

I have pics and will dig them up and post them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2010 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I think its possible a strong enough tornado might move an Abrams around a little bit, but I simply don't see it being tossed through the air.  As mentioned many times above, its an issue of surface area and footprint.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top