Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Jane Fonda, followed closely by Mike Moore.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
FDR
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
FDR, LBJ, Nixon, Carter, and both Bush's come to mind most immediately...

Nixon was a great president.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
F
D
R

+1  The father of big government.

+one more
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
SteyrAug, because the posted a picture of the Koran on toilet paper.

O so that is why he is in trouble?
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Is AROCK American?
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:24:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Fred Phelps.

That subhuman piece of shit doesn't even qualify as American.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#8]
John Walker Lynd, Aldrich Ames and Robert Hanssen.

Rats ass traitors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#9]
iiii aint got just one , sorry....
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Worst = most (harmful) influence ~> have to go with Presidents, in chronological order:

1. Lincoln

2. Wilson

3. FDR

eta - oh, there's a "worst president" thread too...
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#11]
My top 6

1. Bill Clinton - Liar, coward, womanizer, traitor, thief, worst president ever.
2. Jane Fonda - Traitor
3. Michael Moore - Traitor
4. Aldrich Ames - Traitor
5. Robert Hansen - Traitor
6. Rosie O'Donnel - Loud mouth lesbian, hypocritical, liberal, traitor.

Ever notice some of the worst people are liberal-Dems ?

Just a thought.

Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have to go with Moore with Penn as his backup.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:22:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm gonna go get myself put on a federal hit list and finger Louis Freeh

Bill Clinton is a close second.

And so many other candidates... Wow, that could be a really long list
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Bobby Fischer is pretty close, IMO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#15]
too damn many...

i'd say at least 20million of whos names i'll never know...
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The SS for a start, you know, the first federal cops.

The Secret Service was most definitely not the first Federal Law Enforcement Agency.

I don't know if he's the worst, but Robert McNamara gets my vote.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#17]
In this day and age there are too many to list, and it seems to get worse everyday.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Benedict Arnold, If he would have succeeded All the Foundling fathers would have been hung & there would be no USA!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for  abe lincoln.    
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
J. E. Hoover
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

O so that is why he is in trouble?

I don't think he's in trouble. He logged in just a few hours ago and posted a few hours before that.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#22]
SARAH BRADY
DIANE FEINSTEIN
DICK CHENEY
JOSH SUGARMANN
TED KENNEDY
FRED PHELPS
RUDY GIULIANI
HILLARY KLINTON
MICHAEL CROOK
ADAM PERLMANN (ADAM GADAHN)
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 10:17:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The shit they ban people here for.
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 11:26:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Since the usual ARFCOM suspects have selected the usual suspects:

Lee Hazelwood came to mind first.

ZM
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Benedict Arnold, If he would have succeeded All the Foundling fathers would have been hung & there would be no USA!!

Technically, he was British.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 12:09:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Micheal Moore.

Out of curiousity, why Abe?

The Secret Service was not the first Federal LE agency.

The Secret Service started as anti-counterfitting, and it was their jurisdiction as the Fed has sole authority to design and mint money.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 12:12:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Julius Rosenberg.  

Not so sure about Ethel Rosenberg, evidence uncovered in the 90s supports Julius' guilt, but the experts are questioning her involvement.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Micheal Moore.

Out of curiousity, why Abe?

USMS was founded in the 1790s. They even took the census, originally.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#29]
That would probably depend on the time of examination. Custard, for example, might be considered not the greatest because he was rather advocating genocide ....... but at the time, that wasn't even a word, wasn't even a concept, it was "okay".

Or let's just say, for a moment, Admiral Kimmel for Pearl Harbor. Well, it certainly didn't help his career but one of the 'minor' things out of Pearl Harbor is that with the BB's removed, carriers moved into the limelight ........ and carrier forces have probably been a major reason for our success since then.

It is difficult to rank one below another because of different points of view. One might say Lincoln because of his policies during the Civil War, companies left registery of ships under the US flag, went elsewhere ..... and they never really came back.

Or since we have been talking about US presidents, perhaps we can say Teddy Roosevelt. What? Are you mad? Well, keep in mind that it was his running in the 1912 election as an independent that split the vote and allowed Woodrow Wilson to win and some have noted that with Wilson, a bad 20th century was then shaped.

So it all really depends on when one looks at it and how one looks at it.

To me, the worst American is that person who represents their country in such a way that other countries distrust us as the pillar of freedom, whether that person it the President or the overseas tourist.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:04:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Abraham Lincoln.  He killed America.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:08:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That would probably depend on the time of examination. Custard, for example, might be considered not the greatest because he was rather advocating genocide ....... but at the time, that wasn't even a word, wasn't even a concept, it was "okay".

Not trying to be a grammar/spelling nazi dick, but do you mean Custer?  I honestly wasn't sure who you were talking about for a minute....
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:13:09 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted: Not trying to be a grammar/spelling nazi dick, but do you mean Custer?  I honestly wasn't sure who you were talking about for a minute....

You're right, I was confusing him with a brief business venture of the 60's, "Custard's Last Stand!" ....... they sold pies. Didn't last long.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

You got that backwards,
I nominate  All the southerners who fought for slavery.
Lets not pretend they Seceded for anything else.
The "right" to own other human beings was their main cause.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that backwards,

Let's not pretend that you know anything about 1800s America.

The vast majority of southerners didn't own slaves.

Many poorer southerners didn't have work to do because slave labor could be used on the farms and plantations.

Many southerners fought because they were from the South, and the South was at war with the North.  That simple.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that backwards,

Regardless of the sins of the South, America is far worse off under a central federal government.  We are collectively less free, and we have lost control of our government.

I believe all men are equal and I don't believe anyone should be enslaved.  But it's hypocritical to condemn the enforced slavery of a race of people while supporting the enslavement of state and local governments to the federal government.  The concept of a forced "union" being "free" is something of an oxymoron.

So I stand by my assertion.  Lincoln killed America.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that backwards,

Regardless of the sins of the South, America is far worse off under a central federal government.  We are collectively less free, and we have lost control of our government.

I believe all men are equal and I don't believe anyone should be enslaved.  But it's hypocritical to condemn the enforced slavery of a race of people while supporting the enslavement of state and local governments to the federal government.  The concept of a forced "union" being "free" is something of an oxymoron.

So I stand by my assertion.  Lincoln killed America.  

You haven't cracked open a history book, me thinks.

Give me 5 examples, if you can, of ways in which you're less free than a typical person living in 1850.

When you're done (and you'll have to really think hard or research this one), I can probably give you 10:1 returns of ways in which we have MORE freedom than someone living then. States have less freedom, but not people.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 2:01:25 AM EDT
[#37]
They don't come worse tha Hanoi Jane.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 2:02:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Give me 5 examples, if you can, of ways in which you're less free than a typical person living in 1850.

When you're done (and you'll have to really think hard or research this one), I can probably give you 10:1 returns of ways in which we have MORE freedom than someone living then. States have less freedom, but not people.

That's not the claim I'm making at all.

I'm saying that Lincoln rode roughshod over the Constitution and created the large central government America was designed to be anathema to. I'm saying that had America, even fractured into two or more pieces, stuck to the Constitution and the libertarian ideals behind it we would be more free today.  

The States are the People, just as America is supposed to be.  The States having less freedom means the People have less freedom.  The State is the highest form of government the average American should have to concern himself with.  The fact that the States have been hamstrung by the Fed means we are less free.  Our individual freedoms are brushed aside in the name of what's good for "society".  
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:That's not the claim I'm making at all.

I'm saying that Lincoln rode roughshod over the Constitution and created the large central government America was designed to be anathema to. I'm saying that had America, even fractured into two or more pieces, stuck to the Constitution and the libertarian ideals behind it we would be more free today.  

The States are the People, just as America is supposed to be.  The States having less freedom means the People have less freedom.  The State is the highest form of government the average American should have to concern himself with.  The fact that the States have been hamstrung by the Fed means we are less free.  Our individual freedoms are brushed aside in the name of what's good for "society".  

Interesting opinion (and here, it is just opinion) but I am curious, if that is the case, then why start with Lincoln? Why not go back to Justice Marshall with "Malbury vs Madison" which essentially gave the  USSC its power or go back to Franklin and gang for instead of redoing the Articles of Confederation, they tossed them out for the Constitution?
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 2:35:27 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not the claim I'm making at all.

I'm saying that Lincoln rode roughshod over the Constitution and created the large central government America was designed to be anathema to. I'm saying that had America, even fractured into two or more pieces, stuck to the Constitution and the libertarian ideals behind it we would be freer today.  

Circular logic.

If we were living under a more libertarian ideal and spirit before the Civil War, then why wasn't society more free then?

Government restraint is nothing compared to societal or social restraint. With all of their supposed freedom, the South of pre-1860 was not a very "free" place to live....at least not by today's standards.

We have more freedom, more opportunity, and more choice in our personal and public lives, even with regards to civil and government service, then ever in the history of this nation. We're more prosperous, more educated, more industrious and live in a manner that people then wouldn't have dreamed possible.

There are disadvantages in the states losing power, no doubt about that, but the states were not by themselves anything but smaller versions of the federal government. Instead of having no say in the the US system, you had no say in the state system. The freedom we have is not because of, or in spite of, the effects of the civil war and neither is the loss of freedom.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 2:43:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Hanoi jane would be my dads choice, he always said I will forgive jane fonda when the jews forgive hitler.

My top six

The democratic party en masse
Michael moore
Kanye west
Jessie jackson
Al sharpton
Rosie

Link Posted: 9/10/2007 3:01:49 AM EDT
[#42]
1.Justice Harry Blackburn

2.John Wilkes Boothe

3.Lee Harvey Oswald

4.Franklin Delano Roosevelt

5.James Earl Ray

6.Charles Joseph Whitman
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 3:05:22 AM EDT
[#43]
This is NOT a Civil War thread.

Tough question, Fred Phelps, Aldritch Aimes, the Founder of the Modern Klan, Rebel Grey, Adam the goat molester, Richard Butler, Elijah Mohammed, the guy that invented crack, they all about break even for #1 in my book.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If we were living under a more libertarian ideal and spirit before the Civil War, then why wasn't society more free then?

I'm having a hard time making my position clear it seems.  I know what I mean but I'm having a hard time saying it.

The IDEALS behind America are what the government was originally designed to support, or at least hinder as little as possible.  In the 1860's those ideals hadn't shifted as far toward total freedom as libertarian philosophy today has. Our original government would have been far more conducive to the shift towards individual liberty than the present one.

Think of it like this, and I realize this is a weird analogy but maybe it will convey what I mean better:

Suppose a man planted a tree that he knew would be very valuable.  He works the land to make it a good place to grow and plants a seed.  He knows he won't live long enough to see the tree grow, so he does everything he can to ensure the tree will grow in his absence.  

The Founders envisioned a free society of, by, and for the people.  It wasn't possible in their time to do this, so they crafted the government to be as conducive as possible to this, with the knowledge that eventually times would change and people would gradually grow more free.  

Lincoln removed the government that was necessary to foster freedom, and installed one more suitable to central control. What Lincoln did was build a cage around the tree trying to protect it, and in the process he limited its growth to the size of the cage.

So while the tree is bigger now, while we are more free than the average American of 1860, we are less free than we would have been had our national philosophy remained with its intended governmental structure, had the tree been uncaged.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 4:05:17 AM EDT
[#45]
There's a special place in hell for J Edgar Hoover, Joe McCarthy and Roy Cohn.

Link Posted: 9/10/2007 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 4:22:23 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I'm having a hard time making my position clear it seems.  I know what I mean but I'm having a hard time saying it.

The IDEALS behind America are what the government was originally designed to support, or at least hinder as little as possible.  In the 1860's those ideals hadn't shifted as far toward total freedom as libertarian philosophy today has. Our original government would have been far more conducive to the shift towards individual liberty than the present one.

Think of it like this, and I realize this is a weird analogy but maybe it will convey what I mean better:

Suppose a man planted a tree that he knew would be very valuable.  He works the land to make it a good place to grow and plants a seed.  He knows he won't live long enough to see the tree grow, so he does everything he can to ensure the tree will grow in his absence.  

The Founders envisioned a free society of, by, and for the people.  It wasn't possible in their time to do this, so they crafted the government to be as conducive as possible to this, with the knowledge that eventually times would change and people would gradually grow more free.  

Lincoln removed the government that was necessary to foster freedom, and installed one more suitable to central control. What Lincoln did was build a cage around the tree trying to protect it, and in the process he limited its growth to the size of the cage.

So while the tree is bigger now, while we are more free than the average American of 1860, we are less free than we would have been had our national philosophy remained with its intended governmental structure, had the tree been uncaged.

Errrrr, maybe. Part of thing is that it is hard to take any of this in a vacuum. I am not sure if the Founding Fathers ever conceived us being the superpower we are now. Say Lincoln didn't do or didn't exist or whatever. Given the above, we may have had the said freedom ..... up to the time we started speaking German or Russian, in that possibility.

It's hard to say and just hard to take anything in a vacuum.
("Here's the record, Captain. Her organization delayed America's entry into WWII, the Nazi's got the atomic bomb first, won the war, and the world destroyed itself trying to throw off it's yoke."--Spock, (wtte), ST:TOS "The City on The Edge of Forever")
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Julius Rosenberg.  

Not so sure about Ethel Rosenberg, evidence uncovered in the 90s supports Julius' guilt, but the experts are questioning her involvement.  

According to Soviet cables intercepted for the top secret Venona Project, Ethel was guilty as sin. In it up to her neck. She knew all about it, did nothing. That's why she was executed.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:09:59 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
1.Justice Harry Blackburn

Who? There's never been a Supreme with that name.

2.John Wilkes Boothe

Any relation to Powers Boothe?

Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got that backwards,

Public educated....

FDR probably had the most impact on the direction from self reliance to socialisim
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top