User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 7:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The French seem to be GTG from what I hear.  I'd like to also give props to the Italians.  We've worked with them alot here in RC West, and their patrol elements are good guys to work with.  My only gripe is that their EOD teams won't come out at night and we end up having to sit on IED's forever if we can't get US or ANA assets; when they have teams that are right in our AO that won't leave the FOB.

Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 5:37:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Hung out with some Legionnaires (I know they are not French) in Djibouti, real deal hard MFers…
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I worked with the British Army in Basra, Iraq. First name basis, very relax, very friendly. The only one that we called by rank was the General Salmon. Once a week they did BBQ with beer (they had a bar), and they also did like a socialization thing with tea and pastries one afternoon a week. It was actually a lot of fun.

Back in 2011 I was picked to go cover the June 6th celebrations in Normandy, France. Big, big event. The French were nothing but nice. A lot of people think the French are rude, but the locals were nothing but nice. The only rude ones were the ones from Paris, but even the locals don't like them.

This last deployment I spent a few days working with the Turkish EOD in Kabul training the Afghans. We were in a FOB in Kabul that was run by the French, and I DID NOT WANTED TO GO BACK TO BAGRAM.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would go to war in a heartbeat with the French soldiers I attended French Commando School with.  They were not a joke.

I love how over and over the American sexual neuroses rears their heads when contrasted against ANYONE else in the entire world.

All the French soldiers I've had the pleasure of training or talking with have been beyond professional.  I put them right alongside the Brits with allies I'd have to my left and right.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:49:56 AM EDT
[#8]
The French have supported the US since the revolutionary war.   The Marquis, de Lafayette came over and was commissioned as a general in the Continental Army and continually worked to gain additional support from France.

The French have always fought hard... but didn't always have good leadership or equipment and have gotten a bit of a bad rap.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:07:00 AM EDT
[#9]

Great article . I laughed at the magazine cover joke. :-)

Vivala France!
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:29:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Never dealt with their ground troops (I'm a Squid) but had dealings with their Navy...good guys, about as professional as a Sailor gets.  DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT get into a drinking contest with them....

Big Bro worked with some French Intel troops, had nothing but good to say about them.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:42:54 AM EDT
[#11]
For all the BS the French get, they have helped us out in Afghanistan, they handled the situation in Mali pretty well, and they've been helping go after Somali pirates.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Great read, good videos.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 8:57:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The French Marine with the .50 BMG rifle and the MINIMI sounds like a cool dude.

That dude is nuts!

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For all the BS the French get, they have helped us out in Afghanistan, they handled the situation in Mali pretty well, and they've been helping go after Somali pirates.

And they have gun shops in their shopping malls.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went on a week-long mission to a combat outpost with a French recon platoon. The outpost was at the furthest edge of coalition control, surrounded by Taliban. One of their company XO’s, a captain, accompanied us. When we occupied the outpost, the first thing the troops did was pop open beers and break out steaks to grill.

I had a conversation with the French captain about stupid things that happen in the American military, like the sergeant major and captain in Iraq whose only apparent duty was screaming at troops in the DFAC for wearing paracord bracelets. I’ll never forget the French captain standing there totally relaxed with a beer in hand, without armor or helmet, troops drinking and grilling behind him, telling me, "Things like that don’t happen in the French Army.”
I have a friend who was a Marine Officer for the whole Beirut Bombing fiasco.  The French were tasked with covering the USMC during their withdrawal.  By his account this is roughly how it happened.  The French Foreign Legion unit in Beirut took up a defensive position.  They then summoned the local mullahs to a meeting.  Words were exchanged to the effect of "You know us, you know us in your bones, you know what we can do if provoked.  Nobody shoots at anybody while we're in the area or lots and lots of bad things will start happening."  By the end of the week the French were patrolling like it was a stroll down the Champs d'Elysees.  He swore they were as certifiably bad ass.  

The French did use to own Syria.  There might have been some cultural fear at play too.

The French traditionally have, shall we say, very liberal views on killing people in places that they used to own.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:09:05 AM EDT
[#16]
lolz..... this former US soldier had a totally different experiece. There's bound to be turds in every group, but these were french turds.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Good article. I think they're are a lot of misconceptions about the French and the French Military that are common in this Country on Arfcom.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I worked with a French SF major in 2010 in Afghanistan. He was a bad motherfucker. Putting aside the amount of time it takes to rise to the rank of major in most European militaries (ie: his age,) this guy was a physical beast. He would lead these runs through the mountains southwest of Kabul that would destroy all of us young CGOs. It was something stupid like 5 miles and a 3000 ft elevation change, you hit 3 peaks during the run. He would laugh as he outran us and called the mountains "the LT-Kush." Unfortunately, like all Frenchmen, his shorts were extremely short, and slit up the sides to his hips. Trying running behind that and tell me you're not trying your best to pass that motherfucker.

One time his buddy was visiting him and wearing a ridiculous French flag full neoprene suit, running in the mud with us. We were running the fence line, slopping through the mud when this dude slips and his head slams into the concrete base of the only light pole for 500m. He doesn't move a muscle, just lays there face down in the mud.
I, freaking out, naturally, go, "That guy's fucking dead." MAJ Chanenbeau nonchalantly goes, "You barely made it up here alive, you'll die too trying to get his body down!" He laughs then rears back and kicks this dude in the ribs. French body suit MAJ springs to his feet gasping and smiling and takes off running.

He also told us about the training they go through around the world in French SF. They're not nearly as "risk averse" as we are. It's not unusual for people to die in their training. They consider it a cost of doing business.

I also visited a couple of French bases in Kapisa in 2010 and saw them react to contact, and was pretty impressed.

I will say that of all the Europeans, they seemed to be the most exclusive. In other words, if there were 3 Germans, 4 Americans, 5 Brits, 3 Aussies, 2 Hungarians, 3 French, and 2 Italian officers in the room, the French would be the ones off in the corner chatting in French while everyone else tried to figure out how to talk to each other.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Great article, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:09:09 AM EDT
[#20]
The French get a bad rap from their political leaders.

The French have been bad ass when it comes to the military for many years.  From a cultural perspective I think the French can be perceived as rude because they don't adhere to the more typical western custom of being the initiator of pleasantries when they are the hosts.  It is the other way around in their culture.  The guest is the one who initiates pleasantries.  Invite a Frenchman into your home sometime, they will kiss your ass but they expect the same thing from you if the tables are turned.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#21]
We lived right next to the Frenchies at Port-Au-Prince airport when I was sent to Haiti after the earthquake (Miserable fuckin place to spend 3 months)

Anyway they were in love with this short little black girl we had in our co.
They wanted to trade a bunch of French MRE's and booze for her... Dunno if they were serious or not but it was funny.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I worked with a French SF major in 2010 in Afghanistan. He was a bad motherfucker. Putting aside the amount of time it takes to rise to the rank of major in most European militaries (ie: his age,) this guy was a physical beast. He would lead these runs through the mountains southwest of Kabul that would destroy all of us young CGOs. It was something stupid like 5 miles and a 3000 ft elevation change, you hit 3 peaks during the run. He would laugh as he outran us and called the mountains "the LT-Kush." Unfortunately, like all Frenchmen, his shorts were extremely short, and slit up the sides to his hips. Trying running behind that and tell me you're not trying your best to pass that motherfucker.

One time his buddy was visiting him and wearing a ridiculous French flag full neoprene suit, running in the mud with us. We were running the fence line, slopping through the mud when this dude slips and his head slams into the concrete base of the only light pole for 500m. He doesn't move a muscle, just lays there face down in the mud.

I, freaking out, naturally, go, "That guy's fucking dead." MAJ Chanenbeau nonchalantly goes, "You barely made it up here alive, you'll die too trying to get his body down!" He laughs then rears back and kicks this dude in the ribs. French body suit MAJ springs to his feet gasping and smiling and takes off running

He also told us about the training they go through around the world in French SF. They're not nearly as "risk averse" as we are. It's not unusual for people to die in their training. They consider it a cost of doing business.

I also visited a couple of French bases in Kapisa in 2010 and saw them react to contact, and was pretty impressed.

I will say that of all the Europeans, they seemed to be the most exclusive. In other words, if there were 3 Germans, 4 Americans, 5 Brits, 3 Aussies, 2 Hungarians, 3 French, and 2 Italian officers in the room, the French would be the ones off in the corner chatting in French while everyone else tried to figure out how to talk to each other.

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#23]
My experience with the French Air Force has been similar.  They are true professionals.  Their pilots are very good, though their aircraft are less capable than ours, typically.  They have a LOT less bullshit and expect folks to wear big boy pants instead of diapers.  They work hard and they play hard.
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
IBFUCKTHEFRENCHHERPDERPI'MARETARDEDREDNECK

This.  Some people need to wake the fuck up.

LC
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:19:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I noticed that too.  Must have taken a fall during a patrol or seeking cover from the hail is the best guess I've got.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
a freak hailstorm killed three?

I noticed that too.  Must have taken a fall during a patrol or seeking cover from the hail is the best guess I've got.

While climbing a mountain, I am certain that what happened was that they were climbing and the hail caused falls on the mountainside.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:26:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I, freaking out, naturally, go, "That guy's fucking dead." MAJ Chanenbeau nonchalantly goes, "You barely made it up here alive, you'll die too trying to get his body down!" He laughs then rears back and kicks this dude in the ribs. French body suit MAJ springs to his feet gasping and smiling and takes off running.

View Quote

Was he a "Major," or a "Commandant?"  If he was a Commandant, that is equivalent to our Major, if he was a French Army Major, he was essentially a very senior CWO.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:30:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:37:51 AM EDT
[#28]

A cursory reading of history will demonstrate that the French have always had competent soldiers.  Napoleon wouldn't have been able to put as much hurt on his enemies as he did were it otherwise.

Now, I've read some depressing things about their higher ranking leadership. Don't know if those things are true or not, but if they are, I would hazard a guess that the leadership might be the source of their military setbacks.  WW2 comes to mind; France actually had better equipment than the Germans when the war started, but their leaders wanted to re-fight WW1 instead of the new war that was upon them.  With better strategic thinking, the French could've put a real hurt on the Germans, and perhaps cut the war shorter.  French soldiers, however, didn't have any problem facing the invaders and fighting them until the end.  Hell, a lot of them fought PAST the end (Free French forces).

ETA: I didn't join the Army because I didn't believe I would've made a good soldier.  But if I had, I think I could easily enjoy serving with the guys the author talks about.  They seem to get a few common sense things, like "having a drink after a hair-raising day of getting shot at isn't such a bad thing".  The American culture of PC in general could learn a little bit about how to relax and enjoy life from the French.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:50:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Interesting article ,much respect to the French.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
While climbing a mountain, I am certain that what happened was that they were climbing and the hail caused falls on the mountainside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't know what the weather is like in Afghanistan, but in Kansas hail stones can be lethal due to their size. A few days ago parts of Kansas had hail stones the size of tomatos. Large chunks of ice free falling from the sky can really injure a person, or kill them if they can't find good cover.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 7:58:05 AM EDT
[#31]
thanks for the post...good read
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Was he a "Major," or a "Commandant?"  If he was a Commandant, that is equivalent to our Major, if he was a French Army Major, he was essentially a very senior CWO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1 thick bar and 3 thin bars. But he called himself "major" in English, and that was his title on computer systems and whatnot, soo... yeah. His rank fit in the rank scheme of the other french officers I worked with (LTC & COL.)
I'm pretty sure that after learning that our RSM (Regimental Sergeant Major) was a WO2 that wanted to be a captain someday, that telling me a French Major was some sort of CWO would have 'sploded my brain.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure that after learning that our RSM (Regimental Sergeant Major) was a WO2 that wanted to be a captain someday, that telling me a French Major was some sort of CWO would have 'sploded my brain.
View Quote

We had a foreign CWO of some kind in Bahrain who was getting quite annoyed with all of the salutes he was receiving. Seems CWO ~ E9 in some countries or something. Pain to keep up with
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

1 thick bar and 3 thin bars. But he called himself "major" in English, and that was his title on computer systems and whatnot, soo... yeah. His rank fit in the rank scheme of the other french officers I worked with (LTC & COL.)
View Quote

Heh.  Could have been either depending on how they were presented.

http://www.uniforminsignia.org/?option=com_insigniasearch&Itemid=53&result=2485
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:20:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hey guys, this is Chris Hernandez, author of "Working with the French Army". The three French troops killed in the hailstorm weren't killed by hail; one was hit by lightning, one tried to cross a flooded wadi and was swept away, another one jumped in to try to save the soldier in the wadi. The full story is in my blog post "Even God hates us". http://chrishernandezauthor.com/2012/10/08/even-god-hates-us/

Thanks for the interest in this story guys, I appreciate it. And so do my French friends.

Chris Hernandez
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Alcohol consumption and overt references to sexuality without a congressional hearing? Shocking!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

There is that whole Revolutionary War thing...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck the Frenchie Frogs. Murica motherfuckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What have they ever done for us?

Yup... If it weren't for France y'all would be driving on the left side of the road and still paying taxes on your tea.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely a Commandant. Now that I think about it, his rank was listed on his title line as MAJ OF-3. Literally everyone called him Major though, even the other Europeans and the other french officers (when speaking english, obviously.)
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Definitely a Commandant. Now that I think about it, his rank was listed on his title line as MAJ OF-3. Literally everyone called him Major though, even the other Europeans and the other french officers (when speaking english, obviously.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and this is why NATO uses a standardized grade system.  Damn, that stuff can get confusing.  OF-3, though?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:34:36 PM EDT
[#40]

I was around French units in the desert and Bosnia; nothing but great things to say about them.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The French seem to be GTG from what I hear.  I'd like to also give props to the Italians.  We've worked with them alot here in RC West, and their patrol elements are good guys to work with.  My only gripe is that their EOD teams won't come out at night and we end up having to sit on IED's forever if we can't get US or ANA assets; when they have teams that are right in our AO that won't leave the FOB.

View Quote

Our experiences were quite different then. Fuck the Italians. They left my platoon high and dry.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then you get that whole Nazi collaboration thing.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#43]
buckmaw,

thanks for posting the article. I am a better man for having read it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hey guys, this is Chris Hernandez, author of "Working with the French Army". The three French troops killed in the hailstorm weren't killed by hail; one was hit by lightning, one tried to cross a flooded wadi and was swept away, another one jumped in to try to save the soldier in the wadi. The full story is in my blog post "Even God hates us". http://chrishernandezauthor.com/2012/10/08/even-god-hates-us/

Thanks for the interest in this story guys, I appreciate it. And so do my French friends.

Chris Hernandez
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chris Hernandez

Great read - really enjoyed it.  Tell your French friends it was fun hearing about them kicking extremist butt in Mali, too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#46]

Great stuff, Chris.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I have a friend who was a Marine Officer for the whole Beirut Bombing fiasco.  The French were tasked with covering the USMC during their withdrawal.  By his account this is roughly how it happened.  The French Foreign Legion unit in Beirut took up a defensive position.  They then summoned the local mullahs to a meeting.  Words were exchanged to the effect of "You know us, you know us in your bones, you know what we can do if provoked.  Nobody shoots at anybody while we're in the area or lots and lots of bad things will start happening."  By the end of the week the French were patrolling like it was a stroll down the Champs d'Elysees.  He swore they were as certifiably bad ass.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I went on a week-long mission to a combat outpost with a French recon platoon. The outpost was at the furthest edge of coalition control, surrounded by Taliban. One of their company XO’s, a captain, accompanied us. When we occupied the outpost, the first thing the troops did was pop open beers and break out steaks to grill.

I had a conversation with the French captain about stupid things that happen in the American military, like the sergeant major and captain in Iraq whose only apparent duty was screaming at troops in the DFAC for wearing paracord bracelets. I’ll never forget the French captain standing there totally relaxed with a beer in hand, without armor or helmet, troops drinking and grilling behind him, telling me, "Things like that don’t happen in the French Army.”

a little history ..

In retaliation for the attacks, France launched an airstrike in the Bekaa Valley against alleged Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps positions. President Reagan assembled his national security team and planned to target the Sheik Abdullah barracks in Baalbek, Lebanon, which housed Iranian Revolutionary Guards believed to be training Hezbollah militants.[21] A joint American-French air assault on the camp where the bombing was planned was also approved by Reagan and Mitterrand. U.S. Defense Secretary Weinberger lobbied successfully against the mission, because at the time it was not certain that Iran was behind the attack.

There was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing from the Americans,[22] besides a few shellings. In December 1983, U.S. aircraft from the USS John F. Kennedy and USS Independence battle groups attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was ostensibly in response to Syrian missile attacks on American warplanes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I have been to France twice, once on business and then again with my wife on vacation, and had a great time both times. Everyone was super cool and easygoing. Nobody gave me any shit about my high school French and actually seemed to appreciate me attempting to be understood in their language rather than insisting on being understood in my own.

I dealt with some French soldiers in Kabul in 2009 and 2010 and they were also super cool and easy to get along with.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

This thread needs more Alizee.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:55:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Worked with French Marines, they liked to kick ass. Worked with French Cavalry, all they did was drink and BBQ.
View Quote

Good all the way around, then?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top