BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it gets down to around $.50 per round, I might have to get a 300 blackout.
View Quote

According to AMMOSEEK.COM, Black Gun Industries is selling converted LC cased 147gr fmj 300blk ammo @ $0.44 per round.  
POST PICS OF YOUR NEW 300BLK!!!

I've had a Hardened Arms 10" 300BLK upper for about 4 months now... have not shot it yet (reloading some ammo this weekend!)
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I will be looking to get some boxes soon.

Just purchased Rem 700 chambered in 300 Blackout.

Now time for scope and suppressor.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I doubt it will ever get cheaper than any of the Fudd calibers. $15-17 for a 20 round box.

Reloading is where it will always be for 300 Blk if you want to shoot it regularly.
View Quote

This. I don't see how 300blk will ever be cheaper than .308win.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have never touched a factory round.  

Reloading is your friend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Being able to kill a deer or a hog doesn't really change anything lol.

It's different, I'll give it that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Suppression with subs is the draw.  It suppresses very well.
You can swap mags between 110 TSX for deer, and super quiet 220gr+ subs without making a single adjustment.
I will say that the 110gr TSX is a hammer on deer and hogs inside 200yd.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are those ones with spots fawns?  Just curious.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

My God!  He not only killed Bamby's mom, he KILLED BAMBY!!!!

OP:  stop with the pics; you are making me hungy & lunch isn't for a few hours.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It'll never be as cheap as 5.56... 30 cal bullets cost more to make...but I've purchased the Remington umc white/green box for as little as $11.99 online and locally. I also reload my own.  
View Quote

Nothing will be as cheap as 5.56.  That's a military cartridge, and there are hundreds of companies making ammo for it, even former Warsaw Pact nations.  The only thing cheaper would probably be 7.62X39 or 7.62x54r, and that's because the former Warsaw Pact nations are broke, and they're selling off their cold war era stockpiles at fire sale prices.

...ad for .300 blackout, who can tell?  One upon a time .257 Roberts was touted as a rising star, too.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
300blk sucks
View Quote

You are either a troll posting foolish things before running away giggling, or you have legitimate reasons for saying .300 BLK sucks.  Which is it?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If only it would reliable work in the AR platform.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gee if only there was a mid power 7.62 round that could be down loaded to subsonic levels......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg

...and doesn't require you to replace the entire innards of the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You can swap mags between 110 TSX for deer, and super quiet 220gr+ subs without making a single adjustment.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had several arguments on my YouTube channel that the ability to suppress so well with subs is really the whole point.  The problem is most (if not all) subsonic loads don't expand for shit and really aren't that good of a choice for hunting.  Supersonic is a whole different discussion.

Are you sure about the "without a single adjustment" part?  I was under the impression POI changes a decent amount when you switch to the heavy subsonic loads.  Which may or may not be a big deal, just something to think about.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You are either a troll posting foolish things before running away giggling, or you have legitimate reasons for saying .300 BLK sucks.  Which is it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

300blk sucks

Subsonic (the whole point of 300blk) isn't very good for hunting, and doesn't carry much more energy than a handgun round.  Unless you find a circumstance to take advantage of the BC and sectional density you really aren't getting rifle performance.  I haven't met anyone who actually has a use for a round that quiet, they just thing its cool.

As far as supersonic if I wanted a light semi auto 30 cal for shooting supersonic loads I would just get an M&P 10 or one of the other good .308 AR choices.  They really aren't much heavier, and the ammo price and availability is in another world from 300blk, not to mention the performance.

This whole switch from supersonic to subsonic is a neat feature, but I haven't heard a practical application for it other than "it's cool". Do you really need your home defense suppressed SBR to be the same gun you kill deer with?   The interchangeability of parts with 5.56 guns is convenient because you get cheap mags etc but most people build two guns anyway not swap things back and forth.

Of course my "300blk sucks" comment was partially tongue-in-cheek, but in reality it doesn't do anything better than stuff that's been around for years.  It's just something new to play with.    
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gee if only there was a mid power 7.62 round that could be down loaded to subsonic levels......

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg
View Quote

There is a subsonic 7.62x39 round that will cycle the action?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have had several arguments on my YouTube channel that the ability to suppress so well with subs is really the whole point.  The problem is most (if not all) subsonic loads don't expand for shit and really aren't that good of a choice for hunting.  Supersonic is a whole different discussion.

Are you sure about the "without a single adjustment" part?  I was under the impression POI changes a decent amount when you switch to the heavy subsonic loads.  Which may or may not be a big deal, just something to think about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This..
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you're right, subsonics aren't ideal for hunting, even the all copper Lehigh Defense expanding subs.  That's why I hunt with the Barnes stuff.

As for the POI shift, I've got that taken care of.  This holds true for my 8", going between 110gr TSX to the Gemtech subs.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This..

If only someone had the ability to design one worth a shit....
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Are those ones with spots fawns?  Just curious.
View All Quotes

AXIS they are a exotic deer from INDIA
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:19:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
not until it becomes military surplus
View Quote

It's never going to become military surplus.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought 500 from these guys not one problem with ammo.

http://www.ozarkordnance.com/300-AAC-Blackout-147gr-FMJ-Qty-500_p_12.html

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#21]

At the end of the day you have 3 choices with non-military calibers:  1)  Be rich and buy expensive ammo,
2)  Safe queen that comes out every so often or 3) Reload.

300blk is an incredible reloaders caliber because of availability of brass and bullets.  There is a company
making powder coated lead bullets that work with 7.62 or 300blk for 6 cents each.  So if you're willing to
put in the work you can shoot 300blk for less than 223/5.56.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I still believe that the .300BLK is a handloaders cartridge.  

Pulled 147gr bullets at .10-.11 cents apeice yields a .25 per shot  round if you roll you own brass...that's not bad at all.  subs will run around .55/round if you roll your own with a 220smk, and are a little less with a 208 amax iirc.  

That's a lot more feaseable than $.65-1 per shot.  

likewise, it costs me around 23-25 cents to roll my own 5.56 (hornady 55gr fmj) when i can buy it for 30-33 cents delivered.  I'd rather buy at that price difference.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This..

there are a few that work well.. but they are all $$..
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Isn't it starting to show up at Walmart?
View Quote

Both of the last two I've been in have had the new Remington supers for $16.44 per box.  IIRC they're made by Barnes.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I still believe that the .300BLK is a handloaders cartridge.  

Pulled 147gr bullets at .10-.11 cents apeice yields a .25 per shot  round if you roll you own brass...that's not bad at all.  subs will run around .55/round if you roll your own with a 220smk, and are a little less with a 208 amax iirc.  

That's a lot more feaseable than $.65-1 per shot.  

likewise, it costs me around 23-25 cents to roll my own 5.56 (hornady 55gr fmj) when i can buy it for 30-33 cents delivered.  I'd rather buy at that price difference.
View Quote

.12/ea bullets haven't been available for a while, but those of us who got them can load pretty cheap with range pickup brass:

Pound of powder at $25 will go 400 rounds at 16 grains -

.12 (bullet) + .07 (powder) + .03 (primer) = .22/ea

or like I said, plink with cast bullets and knock another .05 or .06 off that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

AXIS they are a exotic deer from INDIA
View All Quotes

And Texas.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I roll my own. Brass is cheap. Primers are the same. Powder is cheaper than 556. The only killer is the 30 cal bullets. So it ends up working out just fine for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Both of the last two I've been in have had the new Remington supers for $16.44 per box.  IIRC they're made by Barnes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't it starting to show up at Walmart?

My Academy has 3-5 different options on a regular basis, including Rem subs and Barnes 110gr TSX.  The 110 seems to be preferred over the 130gr "Hog Hammer" load because it expands at lower velocities reliably.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I doubt it will ever get cheaper than any of the Fudd calibers. $15-17 for a 20 round box.

Reloading is where it will always be for 300 Blk if you want to shoot it regularly.
View Quote

Reloading is where it's at for all calibers at all times
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
not until it becomes military surplus
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I see your .22lr reloading setup?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You will never get it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:45:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Save your breath. You can argue with a trash can gun aficionado.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:45:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

At the end of the day you have 3 choices with non-military calibers:  1)  Be rich and buy expensive ammo,

300blk is an incredible reloaders caliber because of availability of brass and bullets.  There is a company
making powder coated lead bullets that work with 7.62 or 300blk for 6 cents each.
 So if you're willing to
View Quote

Name of the company?  I'd like to see what they're 357 coated bullets are going for.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alright, dammit, you win. GD never misses anything
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The Gemtech subs are all easily available at $1/rd, I've found them for as little at $0.70/rd.  

Buying factory and then reloading the cases is worth it to me over converting 5.56 brass.  I've converted around 500 cases at this point, but it's so time consuming.
View Quote

It is the worst part. I'm converting about 2500 pieces right now and it blows.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I would never expect to see 300BK cheap. It will always cost more than a MIL or x MIL cartridge (5.56, 308, 7.62 x 39, 9mm, 45 ACP) and more than a common commercial cartridge (270 WIN, 38 Spec, 357 Mag etc.).

There are just not enough of them purchased compared to the MIL, x MIL or common commercial cartridges so manufacturers and not going to tool up to produce them in large quantities. Plus the availability of MIL surplus and production overruns and seconds keeps the MIL stuff much cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Name of the company?  I'd like to see what they're 357 coated bullets are going for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

making powder coated lead bullets that work with 7.62 or 300blk for 6 cents each.
 So if you're willing to

Lucky13. I think they might actually be a bit more than .06.  Maybe .07.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The Gemtech subs are all easily available at $1/rd, I've found them for as little at $0.70/rd.  

Buying factory and then reloading the cases is worth it to me over converting 5.56 brass.  I've converted around 500 cases at this point, but it's so time consuming.

Clean, deprime, form, chop the neck, trim to length, swage, clean, and ready to load!

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Subsonic (the whole point of 300blk) isn't very good for hunting, and doesn't carry much more energy than a handgun round.  Unless you find a circumstance to take advantage of the BC and sectional density you really aren't getting rifle performance.  I haven't met anyone who actually has a use for a round that quiet, they just thing its cool.  

As far as supersonic if I wanted a light semi auto 30 cal for shooting supersonic loads I would just get an M&P 10 or one of the other good .308 AR choices.  They really aren't much heavier, and the ammo price and availability is in another world from 300blk, not to mention the performance.

This whole switch from supersonic to subsonic is a neat feature, but I haven't heard a practical application for it other than "it's cool". Do you really need your home defense suppressed SBR to be the same gun you kill deer with?   The interchangeability of parts with 5.56 guns is convenient because you get cheap mags etc but most people build two guns anyway not swap things back and forth.

Of course my "300blk sucks" comment was partially tongue-in-cheek, but in reality it doesn't do anything better than stuff that's been around for years.  It's just something new to play with.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
300blk sucks

I'm inclined to agree with your point.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/140708i_ts.jpg

I reload 22 Long rifle so that is more powerful than 223. Works great in my 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I reload 22 Long rifle so that is more powerful than 223. Works great in my 10/22.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/140708i_ts.jpg

I heard that's the setup that can kill 22 people in 10 seconds

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:43:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If it gets down to around $.50 per round, I might have to get a 300 blackout.
View Quote

PSA remanufactured is the lowest priced right now at $0.57 per round. I have some and it has done pretty well so far for plinking.

I haven't started reloading yet, but I do like the cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Do you figure cost of your time into your other hobbies?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm reloading cast subsonic 247gn for the cost of powder and primers....
In before the 'but your time costs something' 'tards.  

Do you disagree?

Is your time worthless?
Do you figure cost of your time into your other hobbies?  

Well, guns are really my only hobby.  I absolutely factor my time into what I'm doing.  Not necessarily thinking about it in cost terms, but more like i only have a few hours a week to play with my guns.  I'm going to spend that time shooting, not reloading stuff.  That is why I don't reload.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
300blk sucks

Yup...sucked this guy into my freezer!

It sucked so bad it did the same this hunting season for me too.

Me 3, several times over, hogs and deer alike.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20141108_183008_284.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20141108_120359_693-1.jpg

Ive literally killed hundreds of hogs with .22 lr.  It will kill them but I wouldn't recommend the cartridge for hunting.  Just because it might kill it doesn't make it the best (or even a good) choice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:56:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Ive literally killed hundreds of hogs with .22 lr.  It will kill them but I wouldn't recommend the cartridge for hunting.  Just because it might kill it doesn't make it the best (or even a good) choice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
300blk sucks

Yup...sucked this guy into my freezer!

It sucked so bad it did the same this hunting season for me too.

Me 3, several times over, hogs and deer alike.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20141108_183008_284.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff206/devtucker/IMG_20141108_120359_693-1.jpg

Every shot I've taken that didn't hit a shoulder joint was a complete pass through with a 30-30 like exit hole.
I had one hog run about 50yd, the rest didn't take more than two steps.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:58:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I love reloading it. Time, is my biggest enemy, not price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
300blk sucks

And subsonic is pretty irrelevant when you are hunting.  In reality, the sound of the bullet hitting the animal is pretty loud.  Even if the sound of the shot doesn't scare off additional animals, the sound of the bullet hitting an animal will scare them off.  Its not like you can shoot a single hog in a group and the rest of them will just stand there.  They will all take off running when they hear the bullet hit their friend.  So you might as well use supersonic.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 4:05:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Every shot I've taken that didn't hit a shoulder joint was a complete pass through with a 30-30 like exit hole.
I had one hog run about 50yd, the rest didn't take more than two steps.
View Quote

My experiences have been very different.  I have had extremely disappointing results with the round.  So much that I sold the gun after using it three times and went back to 5.56.  Ive never looked back.

I did hear that my bullet choice was part of the problem (220 SMK Subs), but for my uses 5.56 works better and is cheaper.

For me, its a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.  The only advantage is that it is subsonic.  That is negated by the fact that in reality, a group of hogs will spook with a subsonic round just the same as a supersonic round.  That combined with the higher ammo cost and decreased availability vs 5.56 makes the round not very desirable to me.

But everyone has their own uses.  If it serves a purpose for you, by all means, use it.  I just don't have a use for it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top