User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:10:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The Eagles "Big Ol' Jet Airliner"

Original: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky shit going on(down?) in the city...

Denuttified: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky stuff going on(down?) in the city... (or just blanked).

And I noticed that in 1988 boys n girls.

When people cannot tel the difference between Steve Miller and the Eagles our society is lost. Got tell the survival forum, "The Shit has hit the fan".

over.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Im a bitch, Im a bitch
Oh the bitch is back
Stone cold sober as a matter of fact
I can bitch, I can bitch
`cause Im better than you
Its the way that I move
The things that I do

I have to hear that everyday here. They play it all the time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
My local classic rock station doesn't do that ghey shit.  I'm not a huge classic rock fan, but it's always on at work.

Just looked it up...WRNO is off the air...as a classic rock station

Used to listen to it on shortwave years ago...then on FM when I was in the New Orleans area on TDY years ago.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate to seem like a bedwetting liberal, but I highly suspect that that the crackdown on terrestrial radio has a lot to do with our current presidential administration and their pandering to the religious right.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:22:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My local classic rock station doesn't do that ghey shit.  I'm not a huge classic rock fan, but it's always on at work.

Just looked it up...WRNO is off the air...as a classic rock station

Used to listen to it on shortwave years ago...then on FM when I was in the New Orleans area on TDY years ago.

Yeah, I'm not in New Orleans.  My local station is WDGL.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ah yes, the free flow of obscenities will indeed improve our society.

It will make us more enlightened.  It will bring us closer to who we are supposed to be.

The masses are now demanding their unfettered access to songs laced with profanities.  It's for the good of our country.

Are you guys even listening to what you're saying?

Demanding to hear people use foul language?

Call me a prude or whatever you want, but I don't consider that entertainment.  Profanity is a verbal crutch for the inarticulate and evidence of negligent parenting.

Just sayin'.  

First of all, there is that whole issue of the first amendment.  Especially how it parallels to the second amendment.  Both amendments are really subject to the "slippery slope" or "frog in the pot" arguements.

Secondly, if you have the ability to turn a radio on and tune to a station, then you also have the ability to either turn that radio off or tune to a different station if you don't like what you are hearing.  I do it all the time, yet, I don't have any notion of censoring what other people might like to hear.  Why can't you?

Are you even listening to what YOU are saying?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
One that drives me nuts is "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" where they will bleep out "whore" and half of "god damn". Uhh, yeah. That isn't the FCC. That's just a bunch of prudes.
Who needs government censorship when the church will do it for them?

Who says it's the "church" doing this?  aside from you I mean.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:43:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Original: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky shit going on(down?) in the city...

Denuttified: Don't want to get caught up with any ' that funky stuff going on(down?) in the city... (or just blanked).

uh..dude?...that was Steve Miller
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Fuck.. I mean BEEP.  They put a beep in Johnny Cash's  " A Boy Named Sue" .  
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:53:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I remember in the waning days of MTV, when they still played music videos but had started in heavy with hip-hop, they garbled the word "joint" in Tom Petty's "You Don't Know How It Feels."

That's when I knew the train was coming off the tracks - the hip-hop ghetto boys could all they wanted to about dealing drugs and slappin' hoe's, but Tom Petty couldn't fuckin' say "joint."

You wanna hear a REAL PC travesty, though, check out the Hank Williams III cover of Randy Howard's "I Don't Know."
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:53:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That was way back in the 60s.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:58:29 AM EDT
[#12]
What is this "radio" of which you speak?

Seriously, go digital (MP3, CD, DVD). Let the spoonfeeding media f*ck themselves.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

First of all, there is that whole issue of the first amendment.  Especially how it parallels to the second amendment.  Both amendments are really subject to the "slippery slope" or "frog in the pot" arguements.

Secondly, if you have the ability to turn a radio on and tune to a station, then you also have the ability to either turn that radio off or tune to a different station if you don't like what you are hearing.  I do it all the time, yet, I don't have any notion of censoring what other people might like to hear.  Why can't you?

Are you even listening to what YOU are saying?

Then general thrust (can I say that here?) of my point is whether this is beneficial for society as a whole or does it reflect a general lowering of standards of what is decent and socially acceptable?

You bring up a comparison of the First and Second Amendments.  Let's take a look at them.

In the 2nd we have a right to firearms.  I think we'd agree that there are good and bad uses of them.  We gather on this site as responsible, law-abiding gun owners.  We emphasize safety and righteousness with our firearms.  We advocate legitimate uses, from plinking to self defense.

Then, there are those who are irresponsible and criminal in their use of guns.  From violating basic safety rules to committing violent crimes, they are out there.  We, because of our high standards of what is right and good for society, stand against those people.  We understand that misuse of our cherished firearms is a bad thing for society.

Going to the 1st, we likewise have responsible and irresponsible uses of language.  People sling language around today that would have gotten them a smackdown from their grandparents.  Is this a positive or negative?  Does it reflect a general lowering of standards of decency, or is there some other aspect I'm missing?

I enjoy watching "Casablanca" without hearing Bogart say, "F***ing Germans, I'm tired of their G****mned bull***t.  I wish those mother****ing c****uckers would just leave me the f*** alone in my bar."  There was a little bit more class, not prudishness, in Hollywood in those days.

I believe that liberty is more than the right to do what I want.  It includes the responsibility to do what is right.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 3:43:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I have not turned on a AM/FM radio in probably five years. Satellite is the only way to go. Even if your not listening for the  censorship free media. That is unless you like listening to the same shit over and over and over again! And over and over and over and over and over and over. And over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over SAME OLD SHIT over and over and over and over and over and over and and over and over and over and over and over.... Forever and ever....
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:23:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I hate to seem like a bedwetting liberal, but I highly suspect that that the crackdown on terrestrial radio has a lot to do with our current presidential administration and their pandering to the religious right.

oh those poor children!
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]
If I wanted someone to edit the 'fuck' out of my music, I'd do it my self with the "off" switch.

Hence I have Sirius, I'll never listen to terrestrial radio again. Even better, I have a Sirius Stiletto 100 which allows me to record songs off air with a push of a button, listen to Sirius via WiFi, download MP3's to the Stiletto, record 6 hour blocks of off air music, save a list of favorite artists, it scrolls all my favorite team scores when ever a game is on. In short, it is the fucking shit! I'll gladly pay 'NOT' to listen to commercials and the ghey ass drive time shows. Plus I can drive across country and never have to hunt a station.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When people cannot tel the difference between Steve Miller and the Eagles our society is lost. Got tell the survival forum, "The Shit has hit the fan".

over.

I think you mean to say "The Shit has hit the fans".

Classic Rock....Boring Old Farts
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

"Yeah- and dat wuz in da nahnteen-sixtees, man. Da Man wuz keepin' us down even back den!"
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:25:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Heh, there's a rap song on the radio where they replaced the word "cocking" with what I guess is the sound of the slide closing on a Glock.

ETA:  The urban stations were the stations that started censoring all kinds of stuff several years ago, while other stations might play the same song without censoring.  I think it's only recently that other radio stations have started censoring as much as they do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

over.

Quoted:
uh..dude?...that was Steve Miller

Okay... okay... reply edited. My "bad"....

I just wish I could blame it on having done too much weed back then, but It's just old fashioned CRS...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:12:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Janet Jackson's tittie.

Yep.

I also noticed this. However, after the D's won in 06, I noticed many stopped censoring the songs soon afterwards.

GR

That makes no sense.  Democrats love to censor music.

Tipper Gore anyone?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Because of huge FCC fines, and a FCC that is very willing to fine radio stations.

I heard a Hip Hop song on a radio station say "shit" among other profanities -- no censorship there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don McLean was wrong...they day they changed "little white pills" to "little white lines (the highway kind, not the mirror-smelling kind) in Six Days on the Road was the actual day the muuuuuuusic died.

!!!

They fucked up Ernest Tubb?! Somebody actually made it "I'm taking little white lines and my eyes are open wide"?

It was Dave Dudley, not Earnest Tubb.

Also the only change I know if is in the Sawyer Brown remake from 10 years or so ago.  They sing, "I'm passing little white lines."

I doubt you could find a radio station that plays Dave Dudley these days.  You'd have to go to XM or Sirius for that - so censorship is not an issue.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Because of huge FCC fines, and a FCC that is very willing to fine radio stations.

I heard a Hip Hop song on a radio station say "shit" among other profanities -- no censorship there.

That was an exception made for criticism.  If performers describe their own music in the "song," it is kind of like a loophole.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Blame Janet Jackson's tit.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Yup, blame uptight religious assholes and the unaccountable FCC for this nonsense.

Janet's boob -> hysteria -> sweeping fines when someone says a bad word.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top