Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I am going to have to agree I have not seen a funny movie in forever, and I have over 500 8m's here I can watch, that includes all the mentioned movies.

But I have been told I have no sense of humor.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Mac, give us an idea of what you consider to be good comedy?

* Airplane
* Monty Python & The Holy Grail
* Life Of Brian
* Monty Python The Meaning Of Life
* Something About Mary
* Rat Race
* Shawn Of The Dead
* Spinal Tap
* Dr. Strangelove
* Killer Clowns From Outer Space
* Office Space
* Meet The Parents
* Election
* Blazing Saddles
* Animal House
* Tommyboy
* Evil Dead II
* Raising Arizona

Hell I even thought "Dumb & Dumber" was funny!

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Good flicks.

Now watch BubbaHotep and Team America!
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Zoolander was one of the best comedies in the last 10 years.

Like I said, you've lost any sense of humor you ever had.  

Ya' know - I bet you're so messed up you thought "Rushmore" was "hilarious" too, right?

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought Team America was very funny.

Shit dammit I gotta get that.

Okay, that's at the top of the list for the next rental.

I just saw it today, definately funny!!! The 'love scene' was the best!!!........

ETA: If someone suggests the movie 'The Life Aquatic' with Bill Murray is a comedy shoot them in the head, that is one seriously fucked up non-funny movie........Think 'Royal Tannenbaums' with an oceanic theme.....
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
You can send me an IM for info on how to receive your very own copy of VOLUMN 1 of the great Sgtar15 movie series now out on CD....including 13 short "films"

That's

S..g...t...a..r..1...5      I think

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Killer Clowns From Outer Space

Damn, Mac - I thought *I* was the only one who actually watched all that "USA: Up All Night" tripe*!

Jake.

* Though it did  have "Ravishing Rhonda Shear"
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Damn, Mac - I thought *I* was the only one who actually watched all that "USA: Up All Night" tripe (with "Ravishing Rhonda Shear" ).

Yeah I used to watch that too.

But KCFOS was a rental for me way back in the Reagan Administration.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
why don't you just watch a fucking movie and decide if it's GOOD or not and not worry about whether it's a comedy or drama or whatever.

Because if I WANT to see a comedy... I'd like to KNOW what kind of movie I'm renting so I don't get an action or mystery or drama or sci-fi or gorefest or sucky POS movie like "Sideways" instead.

You and FLAL1A need to get together and rent a decent movie sometime............

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=353611&page=1

I feel for the both o' ya.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought Team America was very funny.

I finally watched that last night.  I don't think I've laughed that hard at a movie in a long time.

+1  America, FUCK YEAH!

Problem with comedy today is...its hard to think of new material because everythings been done!

You are forgeting Dave Chappelle...bout the best we have to offer now...damn he is funny!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:54:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
edited to add - Shaun of the Dead!  I loved it.

Yeah, that was a good one.

I KNOW there's good comedies out there and there are bad comedies out too. But at least with a bad comedy you can SEE that it was SUPPOSED to be funny.

But with these depressing-as-hell dogs I listed - there is NOTHING even resembling a comedy in ANY of them.

And yet they all get rated 3 & 4 stars and are actually called "hilarious" by some gotta-be-drugged-up movie reviewers.

I have seen most of the flicks that you rated and agree with you.  I did think that Elf was pretty funny, although I watched it with my 12 year old goddaughter and her 4 sisters - their laughter can be pretty contagious so it may not have been as good as I remember.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:05:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Zoolander was one of the best comedies in the last 10 years.

Like I said, you've lost any sense of humor you ever had.  

Ya' know - I bet you're so messed up you thought "Rushmore" was "hilarious" too, right?

Not really.  While I generally like Wes Anderson's films, I found Rushmore to be a trifle too droning for my tastes.  Bill Murray was great in it, although Jason Schwartzman is detestable.

The only films that you listed in your original post that I found hilarious were Napoleon Dynamite and The Royal Tenenbaums.  I didn't go into any of the others expecting a great many laughs, only good stories.  Which they all were.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:07:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ETA: If someone suggests the movie 'The Life Aquatic' with Bill Murray is a comedy shoot them in the head, that is one seriously fucked up non-funny movie........Think 'Royal Tannenbaums' with an oceanic theme.....

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou was downright damn funny.  I loved Dafoe's and Wilson's characters.

Wes Anderson did a great job on that one.

Speaking of The Life Aquatic, I think I'll go watch it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:38:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:17:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Luckily the one's I've watched have been at home on DVD and it's easy to slip out and read a book if it sucks and most of those did.

Ah! An absolutely brilliant point that I forgot to mention. Thanks Nightstalker.

I've gotten so pissed off at the movies between high ticket prices, the ridiculous price of snacks, the dregs of humanity you have to share your oxygen with and the complete lack of beer that we now watch 95% or more of our movies on DVD....that's why I bought a widescreen tv.

At least, if it sucked ,we only bought/rented it and I had my fridge and my toilet nearby.

(Also the laptop..if it was boring, I surfed Arfcom)

Aye.

My tolerance of bad movies has gone way down since I started watching them on my PC.

Hum dee dum dum....this is going nowhere....what's going on at Arfcom?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Shit! Where in the fuck the fucking good COMEDIES anymore! You know - the ones that are actually FUNNY.

I haven't read all 3 pages yet, but I'll make an assumption:
I assume that you like low brow comedy  such as Adam Sandler, maybe Dangerfield, etc?Different types of movies within the same general  genre appeal to different people.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#17]
"comedy" can be pretty subjective...some folks get the Stooges for example, and some don't.  Same with Monty Python.  Don't forget, there's "high brow" comedy, and then there's "low brow".  

I agree with some of the movies on your list...I thought Napolean Dynamite was pretty weird, and I would never call Lost in Translation a comedy...but I liked it.  

Terminal never even looked funny to me...I liked the Royal Tennenbaums, but it's not "laugh out loud" kinda funny.  

I barely cracked a smile in Shaun of the Dead...very disappointed in that one, and Anchorman blew large chunks as well.  

Other than Team America, I can't really remember a real gut-bustingly funny movie, to be honest.  One movie that surprised me how funny it was, was Undercover Brother.  Had to be coerced into watching it, and I thought it was hilarious.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, Mac - I thought *I* was the only one who actually watched all that "USA: Up All Night" tripe*!

Jake.

Rhonda Shearer, 'nuff said.  I never missed it when she was hosting.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:38:57 AM EDT
[#19]
ive isolated your problem mac......................you were watching 'films' that were 'critically acclaimed'

even if a movie looks good to me, but has been 'critically acclaimed' i won't even fucking bother because i automatically know it sucks without having to subject myself to their artsy fartsy horseshit that they're trying to pass off as funny

airplane is the standard
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:03:03 AM EDT
[#20]
The problem I have with most comedies these days is their inane repetition. For example, ever since "Something about Mary" (a pretty funny movie IMHO), in order to be funny, comedies had to have a cute animal get maimed. (ref: "50 first dates", "Anchorman" and numerous others)

To me, the problem is that nobody's taking chances anymore. Everybody's doing the same basic comedy.

When funny writers go with a theme, riff on it, and hit that sweet spot, we get good comedies...

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
Ace Ventura
Heathers
Napoleon Dynamite
Airplane
Rushmore
Spinal Tap
Blazing Saddles
Monty Python - Holy Grail
What About Bob?
Groundhog Day

Obviously not a complete list, but it's enough to prove my point. There aren't many comedies (on TV or at the theaters) I would pay to see anymore.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:06:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
[rant]

Damn, it's like ANY "critically acclaimed comedy" to come out now is about as funny as watching grampa snore on the couch for two hours.

Rented "Sideways" tonight and I just walked out after the first hour. BORING, depressing and fucking ENDLESS blabbering about wine. THAT'S supposed to be a "comedy"!???

And before that was "Napoleon Dynamite" - sucked.

Before that was "About Schmidt" - sucked.

"Terminal" - not a single funny scene in it.

"Garden State" - zzzzzzzzzzz,

"Lost In Translation" - Kill me.

"The Royal Tannenbaums" - Kill me now.

WTF!? WHY the fuck are these things even labelled "Comedies"!???

WHAT THE FUCK IS SO FUCKING FUNNY IN ANY OF THESE!???

Holy crap they are so fucking tedious and boring!

There is ONE thing though that all these "comedies" have in common - you gotta be on 5,000 fucking milligrams of PROZAC to even BEGIN to sit through them without wanting blow your fucking head off!

Shit! Where in the fuck the fucking good COMEDIES anymore! You know - the ones that are actually FUNNY.

DODGEBALL.

Of your list only "About Schmidt" didn't suck. I understand why some may not like it but I thought the groom family of losers was hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anchorman?

Saw it.

There were some funny parts. Not a great comedy, but not "critically acclaimed" either.

Starsky & Hutch? I've pretty much given up on anything with Ben Stiller.

Zoolander, Dodgeball, Meet the Fockers.... sucked, sucked, sucked.

Stiller sucks but Dodgeball was hilarious.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:08:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Sideways had some funny parts, thought they were more toward the end.  Them wrecking the car was pretty funny.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:12:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jake.

Is she still on? I haven't watched Rhonda in like 10 years. She was kinda fun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#25]
one thing about bubba-ho-tep, dont go into it thinking its going to be like evil dead 2 or army of darkness.  its a bit out there but its got some pretty funny parts.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't read all 3 pages yet, but I'll make an assumption:
I assume that you like low brow comedy  such as Adam Sandler, maybe Dangerfield, etc? Different types of movies within the same general  genre appeal to different people.

You assumed wrong.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:08:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jake.

Rhonda Shearer, 'nuff said.  I never missed it when she was hosting.  

Fenian, see my next post.  I'll respond to you and AUG all at once.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski."

"No, man.  Don't...." (thug pisses on his rug)

"You see what happens, Lebowski?"

Calmer than you are dude.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#29]
IMO. Vince Vaugn is the funniest guy in movies today. His fast talking wiseguy charachters are hilarious. Check out "Made" for a good example.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jake.

Is she still on? I haven't watched Rhonda in like 10 years. She was kinda fun.

AUG + Fenian, I was a huge fan of Rhonda.........

If "USA" was a euphemism for "Johnson," then my USA *was* "Up All Night"!

My boyhood grew into a manhood under her fine tutelage.  

Note: By USA, I of course am referring to the cable channel and not the country.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#31]
+1 on Election

Great movie, not that laugh out loud funny but great still
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:35:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

You assumed wrong.

Thats fine, then.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top